Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

This cartoonist has some funny ideas about economics. He seems to believe that only "illegals" are capable of harvesting produce. What you'd expect to happen in the real world is an increase in prices caused by having to pay more for legal labour or investing capital in automated harvesting methods.

The problem is that there's no evidence to support this.

This was tested to the extreme in 1964 (the end of the bracero program). Hundreds of thousands of immigrant farm workers were rounded up and deported. Economists are able to look back and see the effects of this by looking at the differences between states with lots of deportations and states with few deportations. As far as anyone can tell, the deportations didn't affect domestic labor markets at all. Additional citizens weren't hired to fill the vacant positions, agricultural wages didn't increase, and working conditions stayed terrible. Most of the immigrants were replaced by mechanization; where mechanization wasn't possible, farmers switched to other crops.

So all available evidence suggests that farmers will not pay more for legal labor. There will be an increase in farmers adopting mechanization, but only for crops where the technology already exists. For any crop where mechanization isn't feasible or cost-effective, we'll see a large and long-lasting drop in production. Increased prices will be driven by scarcity, not by rising labor costs.

Heck, have some cites:
A report from the 1967 Department of Agriculture. This is where they started to realize they'd messed up.
Immigration Restrictions as Active Labor Market Policy. Long-form 2017 economic analysis of the bracero fallout from the IZA.

Edit: top of the page, have a cartoon.

Tobermory fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Admittedly nobody has died and made me official arbiter of the political cartoons thread but still

I'd rather we didn't

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me. Does anyone have that comic where it's just a lovely stock photo of a cartoon chef stirring a giant pot, and the chef is labeled LIBERALS and the pot is labeled poo poo? I need it. I need it every day.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

For some reason I want to know how that lovely Life Choices Dog comic ends. Does anyone know what it's called or have the link?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Plan Z posted:

I just got over reading a book entirely about how American intelligence predicted almost to the month the collapse of the Soviet Union years ahead of time because it was something we were working towards for forty years so that's something he pulled out of his rear end.

Going a week or so back, found this thing somewhere:

The evolution of calculating tech in the West over the past 60 years.
"The Soviet Union will only last for a few more..."

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

For some reason I want to know how that lovely Life Choices Dog comic ends. Does anyone know what it's called or have the link?

It's being published by Drawn and Quarterly, but the rest of it doesn't come out until 2018. Something to look forward to, at least.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

This is peak Kirschen art. Seriously ask someone unaware of Dry Bones to place an age on the artist. Answer: 79 in 2 weeks

quote:

What a quick reversal on the opinion of leaks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pictured right behind the Tank: Enough nuclear weapons to destroy the entire earth, and a fleet of drones that can take out any enemy in the world while being controlled in Arizona.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

There's a difference between a literal foreign power hacking things and friendly intelligence agency leaks, I feel like. On the other hand, Obama was just as eager to punish whistle blowers like Snowden as Bush. Except the context is "red panels is a hypocritical facist" and I don't know of any democrat lawmakers trying to reverse their position on immunity for whistle blowers.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think attacking the other party for "hypocrisy" or "inconsistency" (without considering context) is folly. If the opposition party tends to be, well, in opposition than they will likely be just as inconsistent, in reverse.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
"Reform"? Not "repeal"?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sandpuppy posted:

This is Payne's first cartoon with a car in almost a month. Must be a record for him.

Missed a perfect opportunity to have it rated Y.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I know what the intended message of this cartoon is ("These men are bad people who will stop committing crimes since residents who can now defend themselves") but honestly I can't help but see them as innocent travelers scared of being shot by some moron.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know what the intended message of this cartoon is ("These men are bad people who will stop committing crimes since residents who can now defend themselves") but honestly I can't help but see them as innocent travelers scared of being shot by some moron.

It's kind of hilarious that one of the big signifiers that they're bad hombres is that they've got guns.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Looks like they rode their horses all the way from Mexico to New Hampshire which is pretty impressive.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OptimusShr posted:

As someone from Massachusetts I have to wonder what the gently caress these two are talking about. We have had enough snow to get our snowblowers out, several times.

we still haven't got much snow this winter and we're probably going to break the all time high for this day historically.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A tank's cannon is supposed to be loaded by the people who are inside it.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I read this one like a Kelly; a hopeful vision of a world where Trump declares fresh produce illegal, finally liberating the red-blooded American male from years of being forced to eat his vegetables by the nagging wife.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, so when it's a vat of face-melting acid, you're all like, waaah, waaaaah, I'm a baby and I hate leaks, but as soon as you need to smash open a reservoir to put out a fire you suddenly love them??? Wow... Hypocrite much???????

Like the implied position here is "leaks are ALWAYS bad" and that seems sorta fuckin brazen considering how much the DNC leaks did to galvanise GOP support. Yeah yeah I know forget it hatfet it's redpanels

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

Looks like they rode their horses all the way from Mexico to New Hampshire which is pretty impressive.

Not to mention: why are there Western movie stereotypes in New Hampshire in the first place? It would probably be more historically correct with members of the Wabanaki Confederacy instead, but that has its own problems.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cat Mattress posted:

A tank's cannon is supposed to be loaded by the people who are inside it.

then what are soldiers running along side the tank with ramrods for

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

we still haven't got much snow this winter and we're probably going to break the all time high for this day historically.

It's 10 degrees celcius right now in my part of Ontario. About two weeks ago it was almost negative 20.

We used to still have snow in late March.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

sleeptalker posted:

I read this one like a Kelly; a hopeful vision of a world where Trump declares fresh produce illegal, finally liberating the red-blooded American male from years of being forced to eat his vegetables by the nagging wife.

"Make America Steak Again."

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Ruben Bolling wins Herblock, refuses to share Jew Gold with his loyal subscribers. https://twitter.com/RubenBolling/status/834786912632238080

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Those hypocritical liberals/democrats! They've totally reversed position on these two leaks, which are completely equivalent! Not like Republicans, whose position on leaks, I can only assume, has remained completely unchanged. Definitely just Democrats."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:nm

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

nerd plus rage posted:

Ruben Bolling wins Herblock, refuses to share Jew Gold with his loyal subscribers. https://twitter.com/RubenBolling/status/834786912632238080

I'm glad to see him and Two Bulls getting the recognition they deserve; they're easily my favorite two cartoonists.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Been a while since we had a proper "NOT MY BUTT!" cartoon.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Any law Donald Trump would enforce should be feared, a good cartoon.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Reform"? Not "repeal"?

Dammit Republicans, Mike Ramirez wants his poor-screwing healthcare plan and he wants it NOW

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Trump can wear whatever crown he wants but I'll always be the true king of asses.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kopijeger posted:

Not to mention: why are there Western movie stereotypes in New Hampshire in the first place? It would probably be more historically correct with members of the Wabanaki Confederacy instead, but that has its own problems.

What if, and stay with me here, most political cartoonists are lazy tired fucks????

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Farecoal posted:

What if, and stay with me here, most political cartoonists are lazy tired fucks????

Plus, bear in mind that dipshits like Lester live in a fantasy where the Clearly Labeled Bad Guys never actually shoot back at you.
They wave their guns around and make vague threatening gestures until the Good Guy shows up and pulls out his own gun - at which point the bad guys run away or politely stand still while Lester lines up his shot and blasts them away.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

the_steve posted:

Plus, bear in mind that dipshits like Lester live in a fantasy where the Clearly Labeled Bad Guys never actually shoot back at you.
They wave their guns around and make vague threatening gestures until the Good Guy shows up and pulls out his own gun - at which point the bad guys run away or politely stand still while Lester lines up his shot and blasts them away.

thatonelesterwherethecrowdofgoodguyssurroundandshootthebadguyandmagicallydonthiteachother.jpg

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

What were the salary and working conditions like in the NC case? You say that citizens don't "want" to do this kind of work, but that should only be the case if they have more attractive options. They should be able to get enough people to work on farms if what they offer in return is seen as worthwhile by potential hires.

Sure, a's long as you don't mind paying 4 dollars for a cucumber or a 2 dollars for a tomato. Americans sure don't seem to understand that the reason they have cheap goods is because of the exploitation of foreign workers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Stevoblunt posted:

Sure, a's long as you don't mind paying 4 dollars for a cucumber or a 2 dollars for a tomato. Americans sure don't seem to understand that the reason they have cheap goods is because of the exploitation of foreign workers.

They understand, they just don't care.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kopijeger posted:

What were the salary and working conditions like in the NC case? You say that citizens don't "want" to do this kind of work, but that should only be the case if they have more attractive options. They should be able to get enough people to work on farms if what they offer in return is seen as worthwhile by potential hires.
I think you are underestimating how truly lovely it would be to pick vegetables all day for a living. I can imagine few jobs worse, and I literally doubt I would even consider doing it for anything close to what would be a reasonable wage. And believe it or not I am not a lazy person who is afraid of working manual labor.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Johnny Walker posted:

I think you are underestimating how truly lovely it would be to pick vegetables all day for a living. I can imagine few jobs worse, and I literally doubt I would even consider doing it for anything close to what would be a reasonable wage. And believe it or not I am not a lazy person who is afraid of working manual labor.

I got hired to pick blueberries at a farm as a teen, I raked for like 2 hours then stepped on a bee then quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Eeek! Is that a food stamp?!

14 :iiam:

• Locked thread