Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

“Haha, I’m just cosplaying, so it’s fine,” you say, slipping on your Nazi “cosplay” armband. “It’s just a fantasy world where I dress up like genocidal monsters.” You slip on your NSDAP Officer’s cap, with silver swastika, and admire yourself in the mirror. “Yeah, my replica Nazi uniform cost about a hundred-fifty bucks, but it’s just a joke, it’s not serious.” Slipping some actual late-1930s eagle-with-swastika reichspfennig coins into your pocket, you turn off the light, grab your 40s-era German national flag, and head out the door. You’re just a regular guy who likes history, and irony, and like the manufacturer said, the flag can be hung either inside, or outside on a flagpole, as one does with a five-foot-wide Nazi flag, just to have fun.

Quote with source
Does that mean Mitchel and Webb were the baddies all along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HGH posted:

He once made this attempt at "gamer satire", which is so bad he keeps copyright claiming it. Video is definitely NSFW.

Oh my God, that poo poo's disgusting. Like, that's worse than most of the crap people accuse Chan boards of doing. Putting aside my disgust, it's not even good under the guise of comedy that seeks to provoke or be edgy, it's just... pathetic.

Anyway, onto a more positive thing- yeah, I've watched some SFDebris in my time. Loved his game playthroughs, especially Dragon Age. I think I have his rant about Jowan memorized.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've recently been enjoying watching a top ranking Age of Empires 2 player go through the old singleplayer campaigns blind and with only his multiplayer sensibilities while knowing nothing of rts campaign internal logic. Separate playlist for each campaign:
Tutorial
Franks
Saracens(ongoing)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Markiplier put out a pretty serious video, partially in relation to the PDP issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMkrXG8KMY

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Max Wilco posted:

Markiplier put out a pretty serious video, partially in relation to the PDP issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMkrXG8KMY

I've never seen this guy before but man is he goofy looking. Also cut your drat hair Markpliers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lunethex posted:

J.K Rowling has been having the biggest bitchy, hysterical melt down on social media for the past day or two. You'll say "that's not outside SA LP!" but after ranting about Piers Morgan she's set her sights on PewDiePie, labeling him a

Gee, I wonder why you chose to use these words in particular. :allears:

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

GoneRampant posted:

it's hypocritical of him to complain about Jon dressing as a Nazi when he dressed up as Alex from Clockwork Orange- who's a rapist.

Uh...Not defending the guy because he seems like human garbage, but this is a bizarre argument. Can you really not tell the difference between dressing up as an iconic character from a popular work of fiction and dressing in a Nazi uniform?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
People will always find excuses to dehumanize.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Without Nazis, we would never have had the joy of Der Untergang. Where does playing a character dressed as a Nazi begin and actually subscribing to their ideals end?

:shrug:

Whatever, I bet Prince Harry and every actor ever is secretly a Nazi or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Considering the context was Jon saying he wanted to be the bad guy because he was going to play as the empire in a star wars game, followed by him saying "wait, no, too far, this is too evil", it's dumb to use that against him. There are many reasons to call him a nazi, but the joke where the punchline is that he doesn't want to be a nazi isn't a good one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I 'm sure there are many reasons why the popular video game guy is literally a genocidal ideologue of racial purity and aggressive geopolitics.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Considering the context was Jon saying he wanted to be the bad guy because he was going to play as the empire in a star wars game, followed by him saying "wait, no, too far, this is too evil", it's dumb to use that against him. There are many reasons to call him a nazi, but the joke where the punchline is that he doesn't want to be a nazi isn't a good one.

And if stupid people could be stopped by basic logic, the world would be paradise on earth. Too bad, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Slowbeef wrote a guest article for Polygon that is not just about Death To All Pewds Gate but about what it takes and what it means to be successful on youtube nowdays. You should read it, it's good and provides some perspective that I think a lot of people probably could use.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Jim Sterling v Digital Homicide: Dawn of Slaughtering has finally come to an end
http://www.thejimquisition.com/a-statement-regarding-romine-v-stantons-dismissal-with-prejudice/

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Serves digital homicide right. They had it coming.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jamesman posted:

Jim Sterling v Digital Homicide: Dawn of Slaughtering has finally come to an end
http://www.thejimquisition.com/a-statement-regarding-romine-v-stantons-dismissal-with-prejudice/

Thank God for Jim.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

Slowbeef wrote a guest article for Polygon that is not just about Death To All Pewds Gate but about what it takes and what it means to be successful on youtube nowdays. You should read it, it's good and provides some perspective that I think a lot of people probably could use.

This is a very good article.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jamesman posted:

Nice. Get fuckin owned, losers.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

It's definitely an excellent article and very illuminating about the business but I think the connection to Pewdgate is kind of damaging and IMO he probably should have held off on releasing for a week or two. The first section is kind of weirdly complimentary towards Pew and the remainder mostly downplays his actions, and while he doesn't actually approve of it either in the current climate it's kind of iffy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The funny thing is, if you're like most SA LPers, here to make some fun videos with friends and upload them, not to make big youtube bucks or be the most famous youtube superstar, none of this article applies. Who cares what kind of weird subscriber settings they have if you make LPs for fun. Especially if SA is your main base of operations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It still applies, just in different ways.

In slowbeef's words, posting on SA (in general, and in the Sandcastle in particular) is the same as trying out jokes in small venues and talking to other comedians about comedy. You get feedback about your commentary, from your audience and your fellow LPers. And so you improve as a funnyperson, see what works and what doesn't.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just look at past posts on here, discussing how a lot of Youtube LPers make what we consider "rookie mistakes" because this forum -- for better or worse -- tends towards a cluster of critics willing to offer advice whether they want it or not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It still applies, just in different ways.

In slowbeef's words, posting on SA (in general, and in the Sandcastle in particular) is the same as trying out jokes in small venues and talking to other comedians about comedy. You get feedback about your commentary, from your audience and your fellow LPers. And so you improve as a funnyperson, see what works and what doesn't.

In addition to this, "I'm just doing it for fun" doesn't hold very much weight. Even if you are, you wouldn't be doing it if people weren't watching what you made. And you can be satisfied with the audience you have on SA (I know I am!) but new people join SA and new people watch your videos every day and the only way to keep them watching is by continuing to entertain them. Even if it's what you already were doing anyway, it's the same cycle, just on a smaller scale.

edit: I agree with The Beef's comment about Patreon et al. Youtube's revenue system is terrible and has absolutely no benefit to you, barely any benefit to a network, and only slight benefits to Google. Seeking outside sources for more stable income is almost a necessity unless you make it real big like our boy Pewds. I think people shouldn't be afraid of going to those sites because they are a major improvement on the scummy system that's set in place on Youtube. If you wanna do LPs for a living, you almost need that kind of stability.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 22, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Has the rise of adblockers reduced the amount of ad revenue you get per video as well?

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Has the rise of adblockers reduced the amount of ad revenue you get per video as well?

Oh, no doubt about that. Adblockers have basically killed ad revenue as a way to keep yourself financially afloat for all online walks of life- LPers, media websites and even content critics like TGWTG all used to rely on adds before blockers became more prevalent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

GoneRampant posted:

Oh, no doubt about that. Adblockers have basically killed ad revenue as a way to keep yourself financially afloat for all online walks of life- LPers, media websites and even content critics like TGWTG all used to rely on adds before blockers became more prevalent.

Now I'm curious. How much better is external donation systems like Patreon or Paypal income-wise compared to Youtube ads?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think the people with established bases will have notable improvements at the very least.
You could luck out and get that crazy Probait guy who donates tens of thousands upon thousands of dollars to random LPers.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Mega64 posted:

Now I'm curious. How much better is external donation systems like Patreon or Paypal income-wise compared to Youtube ads?

Youtube income is practically pocket change, unless you are consistently pulling in some crazy high numbers on multiple videos. I can make more off of a single good day of twitch casting than I do off an entire month of Youtube, not even counting paypal tips, with a reasonably sized audience on both. Patreon is a huge help as well; there's not really any comparison between the two. Getting yourself a hundred dedicated Patreon fans is worth ten-fold what 15k youtube followers are.

All of that without talking about how much harder, slower it is to work with Youtube than the other avenues, like how hard it is to fight false claims on your videos.

Smite fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 23, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

And I thought slowbeef couldn't do better than that article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xauBe5letmk

:barf:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Genocyber posted:

And I thought slowbeef couldn't do better than that article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xauBe5letmk

:barf:

Haha he's trying so hard to be wooden and robotic but then the Anthony Bordain anecdote starts and then a little of the old bosleef sneaks through

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Another month, another DSP "i'm hosed, help me" Vlog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2I6WjbBxlM
(skip to 25:50)

TL:DW - his ad revenue for February is the lowest it has ever been.

At this point, even he knows these vlogs are getting annoying cause he disabled ratings and comments.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

HGH posted:

You could luck out and get that crazy Probait guy who donates tens of thousands upon thousands of dollars to random LPers.

I don't know about LPs but there are a surprising amount of people who will spend absolutely boggling amounts of money on streamers. Anyone with even a blip of a presence seems to get a pretty steady influx of cash on a daily basis. I can imagine the big dogs on YouTube wouldn't have a ton of trouble tapping into that wealth.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, the guy I'm referring to is special in that he does both crazy patreon donations and crazy stream donations.
Example below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJ5nl9vguQ
Skip to 9:45 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCq8ad2XdjY

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

At this point, even he knows these vlogs are getting annoying cause he disabled ratings and comments.

I'm honestly impressed by DSP's ability to record these hour long videos while maintaining the demeanor of someone arguing with a small child.

Also get a job Phil. Nothing short of a miracle will get you out of this hole.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
DSP should do Guest Grumps. He and Arin would get along so well and he'd get a whole new audience.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Roman Reigns posted:

I'm honestly impressed by DSP's ability to record these hour long videos while maintaining the demeanor of someone arguing with a small child.

I said it before, and I'll say it again- how anyone can actually be like this outside of putting on a skit I'll never know.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Maybe this is just an elaborate Andy Kaufman-esque bit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

quote:

I REFUSE To Give Up!

He isn't going to have that choice anymore. He needs to do something that he isn't gonna like, like getting a job or moving back to his condo and selling his house.

The guy raves about how he'll make less money getting a job but really... the guy doesn't edit stuff, he doesn't put in any quality control, its not like he has to sit down after recording footage and doing cuts before doing commentary then editing that before uploading it. Its not like he'll be strained for time uploading raw footage. Not only that but he's throwing out so much stuff its not all going to be watched at once, I'm sure he has some insane diminishing returns in videos uploaded:ad revenue. If anything I'd think slowing down on uploads while getting a 9 to 5 would be an improvement for him.

Then again, not eating crab, buying a new car after 2 years, keeping a condo he wont rent out cause that requires responsibility and not buying a big rear end house in a gated community for 2 people are also options and he isn't going to do those things so....

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jamesman posted:

DSP should do Guest Grumps. He and Arin would get along so well and he'd get a whole new audience.

I really doubt it, with how bent out of shape he already can get over random faceless people in a chatroom, he comes off like someone who'd blow up if he had to put up with heckling, playful or otherwise, from someone actually in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Let's not forget that he has had chances to get out of this mire that he put himself in. But he has a habit of burning his viewerbase by either insulting them or not following through with the patreon awards. So if he were to get a larger base he wouldn't be able to hold onto them for very long.

• Locked thread