Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Ryzen has only has 2 channels vs. Broadwell-E/EP's 4, so to their credit, it actually equalizes that particular factor.

Nobody except crazies using that one mini-ITX board for that socket will actually use only two channels though :v:

Hey gently caress you my 5820k in an ncase is great <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

On the overclocking wall front, if I understand correctly that's probably not a terrible place to be in insofar as hopnig that GloFo will gradually unfuck their process which will shift that wall forwards. So B and later steppings of the Ryzen should see more headroom through natural process improvements, yeh?

I mean I'm assuming it's not an architectural issue but Zen doesn't seem to be an architecture that would run dry at 4.2GHz so I'm assuming it's more the GloFo factor. Am I right in that understanding?

I'd say you are correct on all accounts. If GloFo makes some additional headroom and AMD can push out Zen+ with slight IPC improvements next year, they'll be in a really good spot.

In unrelated news multiple people are reporting that non-X processors feature XFR and I have no idea what that means.

OCUK posted:

All three processors are the same, they all have XFR technology. The X varients have higher boost clocks hence the X, otherwise all three CPU's feature XFR and the only difference is clock speeds.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-zen-thread-inc-am4-apu-discussion.18665505/page-386#post-30531006

computerbase posted:

No. The X has nothing at all to do with it and does not stand for XFR either. That is simply a misconception thanks to the rumored kitchen. And yes that is guaranteed, because I am in SFO with AMD. I can not say more

https://translate.google.de/transla...t-text=&act=url

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Macksy posted:

Ryzen is the dark souls of cpus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90MEIBI2iA

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It seems Rhyzen has a chipset and interconnect similar to Haswell's (though it also seems to have 24 total CPU lanes like the 'Lakes). Honestly, this sounds perfect for a mini-itx system once a mini-itx board is released and hopefully after a new stepping of the cpu is released. With 16 lanes for the GPU, 4 for the SSD, and 4 for all the other stuff (which larger motherboards multiplex out to more pcie slots as well)

A ryzen 7 2###X or 3###X sounds like it would be a great haswell upgrade since it should have all or most of the bugs/problem knocked out. By then, I'll probably have more use for high bandwidth stuff like SSDs, >1Gb ethernet, usb 3.1 peripherals and actually use all of the bandwidth at once!

(Honestly, guys, for the most part y'all use like 20 lanes worth of data at the absolute most when playing a game that is on an nvmewell, any ssd drive on another computer. Not counting all of that data you have to transfer to your usb 3.1 external ssd)

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 23, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

If true so much for availability

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i could understand a 2 week wait at most but lmao 6 months? amd you are not getting the bread and butter price bracket that way, ffs at least scrounge up some R3 / R5 chips to sell to begin with

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They first want to sell you the IR7 chips at low margins before moving to lower-end SKUs with... smaller margins.

eames
May 9, 2009

it's so strange because what are they going to do with all the 8 core dies with 1-2 defective cores? put them in a pile and wait a few months before shipping them out?
The only explaination I can come up with is that they have better yields than expected and decided to milk the early adopters.

By the way the R1600X slide in that imgur gallery I linked earlier shows 6c/12T 3.6/4.0. I'm going to guess that it'll also clock higher because of the lower TDP.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mobby_6kl posted:

They first want to sell you the IR7 chips at low margins before moving to lower-end SKUs with... smaller margins.
Their margins on the R7 chips are actually probably really good. Certainly a hell of a lot better than any of their Bulldozer based chips or APU's. The one good thing about them being fabless is they don't need as much revenue to stay afloat, do R&D, or even make money. With a decent product like Zen it looks like they'll finally be able to do all 3 for the first time in a long time.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Ryzen is 192mm˛ and some 4 billion transistors.
Polaris 10 is 232mm˛ and some 5.7 billion transistors.

Based on their earning report, they still have positive income flow with the prices Polaris 10 runs at, so gonna guess all Ryzen products have good margin on them except the lowest 4C/4T ones, and even then.

eames posted:

it's so strange because what are they going to do with all the 8 core dies with 1-2 defective cores? put them in a pile and wait a few months before shipping them out?
The only explaination I can come up with is that they have better yields than expected and decided to milk the early adopters.
By the way the R1600X slide in that imgur gallery I linked earlier shows 6c/12T 3.6/4.0. I'm going to guess that it'll also clock higher because of the lower TDP.

That's the current explanation BTW based on leaks from suppliers. It's also possible we're still getting "defective" cores anyway as AMD preps it's Q2 Server market push with Naples. I mean look at the behavior recently with preorders going up but review NDAs not being lifted, it's likely not some scummy poo poo as regarding Ryzen being a Bulldozer and AMD being the greatest stage magicians, it has everything to do with milking the margins as much they can, because 8C/16T still has a narrow market appeal and if the more reasonable (and likely higher clocking) Hexacores and Quadcores were available immediately I'm almost positive that's all anyone would buy.

This does mean that any further process refinement that results in lower temps and higher clocks will mean the later released Zens will be better as well, and that means a direct comparison between Intel and AMD core for core will be rosier than possibly now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Caption this

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"my application needs quad-channel memory, also welp"

alternatively: Depending on benchmarks, :rip: Intel.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 23, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah that makes sense. The current 8C/16T model preorders have sold out before benchmarks are out so I guess they're doing it right.

The fact that they (think that they) can ship vast such amounts of high end SKUs at launch leads me to believe that R3/R5 SKUs will have decent OC headroom from the start.

A 4C/8T R1400X clocking to 4.6 Ghz for $199 would cannibalise a good amount of R7 sales at launch, so perhaps they're really sandbagging. :allears:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does quad channel really have much effect?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Little to none on the stuff most people use a computer for.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

PerrineClostermann posted:

Does quad channel really have much effect?

Not in general, and not in what AMD tested yesterday.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FuturePastNow posted:

Yes but what about the EMAILS quad channel!?!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FuturePastNow posted:

Are these people also the ones who won't use more than four cores?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

Are these people also the ones who won't use more than four cores?

probably

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My major use case will be too many tabs open, ffmpeg, and streaming

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The only thing increased memory bandwidth provides is increased database performance. Dual channel performance is perfectly fine for all other applications.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

"You can have this now, or all this later..."

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Wait a minute, didn't Raja (or Su, someone at AMD dammit) said you could build a top of the line PC for under 1000$?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Wait a minute, didn't Raja (or Su, someone at AMD dammit) said you could build a top of the line PC for under 1000$?

That is under $1000. At least the PC part. The Keyboard/Mouse are throwing it over. (As will Tax for those of us that loves to hit as well).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

He meant top of the AMD line :iamafag:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

"Top of the line", I bet that thing would get kicked all over the place in gaming benchmarks by a $60 Pentium G4560 and GTX 1080 for the same budget.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
There was a video posted of the ryzen 7 1700 benchmarked in GTA V but its been set to private now.. Wccftech managed to get the results before it got set to private, but its wccftech so pinch of salt and all that..

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-gaming-performance-benchmarks-leak/

Seems about what you would expect from those clocks in GTA V though

Edit: it got re-uploaded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bwl0QndhS0
No game footage just a graph

Shitty Treat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 23, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

lovely Treat posted:

There was a video posted of the ryzen 7 1700 benchmarked in GTA V but its been set to private now.. Wccftech managed to get the results before it got set to private, but its wccftech so pinch of salt and all that..

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-gaming-performance-benchmarks-leak/

Seems about what you would expect from those clocks in GTA V though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIsqwDRig

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

But you gotta buy the cyberpower twice when the chao mang "800w" power supply blows taking everything out with it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I think we have reached peak fake.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Not bad at all given the clock speed difference. Is this b/c the rage engine is really good at multithreading?

e: or is this FAKE NEWS??

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 23, 2017

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SlayVus posted:

The only thing increased memory bandwidth provides is increased database performance. Dual channel performance is perfectly fine for all other applications.
And typical HPC uses too.,such as Computational Fluid Dynamics. That's a use where people are drawn to more cores, but it tends to test memory performance, especially bandwidth. Hopefully some of the benchmarks will throw Openfoam in to the mix. I suspect an Intel 6c will make more sense for a niche CFD at home.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i could understand a 2 week wait at most but lmao 6 months? amd you are not getting the bread and butter price bracket that way, ffs at least scrounge up some R3 / R5 chips to sell to begin with
This wait for the R5 chips is probably going to push me to build a Kaby Lake system. I'm buying a new system in mid-late March and can't wait any longer since my current computers need to be replaced ASAP.

AMD will still get some of my money though since I'm set on RX480 with Freesync, and an upgrade to Vega in the summer unless it turns out to be hot garbage.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Sashimi posted:

This wait for the R5 chips is probably going to push me to build a Kaby Lake system. I'm buying a new system in mid-late March and can't wait any longer since my current computers need to be replaced ASAP.

AMD will still get some of my money though since I'm set on RX480 with Freesync, and an upgrade to Vega in the summer unless it turns out to be hot garbage.

Are there any 8C+APU on the roadmap? I've got machines that would be perfect for - no GPU required for driving text logins, and the PCIe slots are used by 10ge and RAID controllers.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I just want cpu/gpu combos for sale. AMD should leverage the fact they're the only ones in the world who can do this.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Harik posted:

Are there any 8C+APU on the roadmap? I've got machines that would be perfect for - no GPU required for driving text logins, and the PCIe slots are used by 10ge and RAID controllers.
Not for 2017 at least. All APU's will be 4C8T and under. If Raven Ridge turns out be what its rumored to be (4C8T Zen + "large" iGPU + HBM) that could be a pretty big deal for late 2017 but probably still won't quite meet your needs I'm guessing.

There were some rumors of 16T and 32T Zeppelin HPC APU's but not much has been mentioned since early 2016 and nothing about them on any recent roadmaps that I know of. Maybe they'll pop up in 2018? Probably be pricey I bet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Seamonster posted:

I just want cpu/gpu combos for sale. AMD should leverage the fact they're the only ones in the world who can do this.

I want to see Intel retaliate by putting a shitload of Iris Pro cores and a slab of GDDR5X on a PCIe card, just to see how it would perform.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

I want to see Intel retaliate by putting a shitload of Iris Pro cores and a slab of GDDR5X on a PCIe card, just to see how it would perform.

Terribly, Iris Pro doesn't have its own memory controller. ;) Intel has tried to develop a standalone GPU, and failed each time. It's much more likely their recent licensing of AMD GPU technology will start to show up in APU products or chipset products, but a standalone card is really unlikely. Note: not counting compute cards that use GPU tech but have no video out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I could maybe imagine that a compute product built from Iris Pro parts could be good, but a consumer graphics (ie gaming) product? Nah man. Just nah.

Beyond the fact that Iris Pro kinda sucks (a chip with dedicated memory outperforms a thing that relies on system memory? you don't say!), there is just a near-impossible cliff of game-specific tuning and optimization that AMD & Nvidia have worked on for decades. They do huge amounts of work to wring the extra performance out of (often shoddy) game code, or "cheat" in ways that are perceptually unnoticeable but give a tiny edge in FPS. Meanwhile intel sits back, implements hardware & drivers to the specs, and gets by on minimum effort.

I think intel could be competitive in that market, but as long as they have their dominant position they've never needed to. And the years of up-front cost to catch up aren't worth it. Maybe if things had gone a different way around the start of Core 2, with AMD staying neck-and-neck on CPU performance but also acquiring ATI and becoming better in integrated graphics... But that's a lot of alternate history to handwave.

• Locked thread