Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

lmao that's not golden handcuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

yeah i played startup for 3 years and being a fungible cog is such a luxury

e: have i mentioned the 67% raise? thats v. nice too

be an employee at a large shop or an owner at a startup, imo. employee at a startup is just aggravating.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

ADINSX posted:

maps team, but even within those groups there are plenty of really boring projects.

forget just boring, i know some people whose job is making that 'upload a photo to this place you've just been' notification

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

I don't believe this at all.

this is something a startup might do

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

after being responsible for everything and designing everything and having a very stressful time of it in general being a small cog in a large machine is starting to sound real good lately

especially since i'm such a terrible programmer and keep building poo poo

being a small cog on an everything/nothing project in a large org can suck pretty hard too; imagine being responsible for everything and having layer upon layer of bureaucracy creeping scope on you constantly

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this is why i really like consulting because the moment things start to become routine is when you're shown the door so the work is always interesting and fresh. also part of the job is to be a dick to people (professionally, of course) so while you still have to put up with bullshit you're allowed to call people idiots to their face for hoisting it on you

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lancemantis posted:

being a small cog on an everything/nothing project in a large org can suck pretty hard too; imagine being responsible for everything and having layer upon layer of bureaucracy creeping scope on you constantly

this is a pretty picture of me you painted

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

I don't believe this at all.

I have heard from reliable sources that Microsoft will do this to Amazon candidates

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

forget just boring, i know some people whose job is making that 'upload a photo to this place you've just been' notification

I think she worked on something similar for awhile, we might know some of the same people. It didn't sound fun :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lancemantis posted:

hmm i can imagine this really well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lancemantis posted:

or you can embrace the scope creep and go over to the sales or product management side

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hobbesmaster posted:

or you can embrace the scope creep and go over to the sales or product management side

im on the product management side and i still get unwanted scope creeped on me from above, which i then pass on down

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

I have heard from reliable sources that Microsoft will do this to Amazon candidates

but then you'd have to live on the east side or commute.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ADINSX posted:

This is what keeps me from even bothering to apply, despite my fiance working there and some of our friends. I'd only wanna work on very specific projects on their cloud or maps team, but even within those groups there are plenty of really boring projects.

It doesn't strike me as a place where someone can come in start making interesting and creative decisions. Maybe that's for the best, but its something I really enjoy about smaller companies, once you've proven yourself you can really have a say in the direction of the company's technology even if you only have maybe 2-5 years of experience.

they've long suffered from having way more people than work to be done, so there's tons of teams whose sole purpose is to keep rewriting the same miniscule internal service over and over for eternity, along with the requisite horse trading to retain said projects so that the teams still have some semblance of a reason to exist

i made sure to leave before the stagnation set in too much

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The Management posted:

lmao that's not golden handcuffs.

even for a router wrangler?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Munkeymon posted:

even for a router wrangler?

golden handcuffs isn't "decent flow now" it's "gently caress you money windfall in 3 years, 9 months, and 2 weeks and not an hour longer"

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

congrats on making it big! but yeah without a niche skill/management experience/consulting/etc, i don't think you're gonna match that elsewhere.

daft as it may sound, have you tried asking your boss for more development work? is there a chunk of your job you could automate?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 23, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
im jealous that everybody is having google interviews except me. i half-assedly applied a couple of times (resume only, no letter) and i havent heard back. im probably worse at my job than all of you guys but they cant possibly tell from my resume which is 4 years at a fortune 500 doing cool stuff + masters in ee from a euro university which is clearly good enough seeing how many classmates got jobs there

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

poty posted:

im jealous that everybody is having google interviews except me. i half-assedly applied a couple of times (resume only, no letter) and i havent heard back. im probably worse at my job than all of you guys but they cant possibly tell from my resume which is 4 years at a fortune 500 doing cool stuff + masters in ee from a euro university which is clearly good enough seeing how many classmates got jobs there

maybe there's something up with your resume? make it spicier? I think it's normal to get a call/email within a few weeks after submitting

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JawnV6 posted:

golden handcuffs isn't "decent flow now" it's "gently caress you money windfall in 3 years, 9 months, and 2 weeks and not an hour longer"

I'm not sure I would call it gently caress you money but definitely something you can't walk away from. for a while there when I was working for a rocket ride stock my bonus RSUs were worth more than my base pay by the time they vested. it's hard to look at a guaranteed multiple of your base that all you have to do is sit around and collect and think about leaving.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

poty posted:

did your classmates get jobs following graduation? it seems like they don't tend to pick up on resumes of working people unless there's an institution or workplace they find especially interesting on them

if you have classmates your still in contact with there, get a referral and they'll get to your right away

Progressive JPEG posted:

they've long suffered from having way more people than work to be done, so there's tons of teams whose sole purpose is to keep rewriting the same miniscule internal service over and over for eternity, along with the requisite horse trading to retain said projects so that the teams still have some semblance of a reason to exist

i made sure to leave before the stagnation set in too much

I've jokingly thought to myself sometimes that the point of googles hiring strategy is just to keep competitive talent off the market

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

lancemantis posted:

I've jokingly thought to myself sometimes that the point of googles hiring strategy is just to keep competitive talent off the market

I have friends who've worked at Microsoft for ~10 years (so they're the new guys). they all say the difference between who google was taking in 2008 vs now is like "poo poo, they took that guy" to "poo poo, they took that guy?" to "poo poo, thank god they took that guy".

oracle has been surprisingly effective at skimming a lot of good people by paying 2-3x the market, giving title bumps, and promising the ability to work on a cloud from the ground up. the ones I know personally are now just stuck in it for the money :(.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

the ability to work on a cloud from the ground up
what

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well the big enterprise bucks are in "clouds" so everyone needs their own proprietary one especially if you're oracle

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

getting to build an aws from the start.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
lmao at the garbage-tier candidates I have been interviewing as my replacement. everyone is putting VMware experience to mean "I've logged into vcenter once," which you can quickly figure out in about two questions.

the favorite question I've been asking people is "you've had a long IT career, sometimes there are unintended consequences from a change that breaks something. Can you tell me about a time you broke something by accident, what was the impact, and how was it fixed?"

the answers have been very telling. let's me know if they've even been in a position to break something, what their change control looked like, skill level at recovery, size of the environment, working with a team to fix something they broke and owning up to it, etc.

E: because gently caress it I break stuff all the time anyways, might as know how to handle it

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 23, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

FamDav posted:

I have friends who've worked at Microsoft for ~10 years (so they're the new guys). they all say the difference between who google was taking in 2008 vs now is like "poo poo, they took that guy" to "poo poo, they took that guy?" to "poo poo, thank god they took that guy".

and i have to go through my moron classmates to get a freaking interview??? smdh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

devmd01 posted:

lmao at the garbage-tier candidates I have been interviewing as my replacement. everyone is putting VMware experience to mean "I've logged into vcenter once," which you can quickly figure out in about two questions.

the favorite question I've been asking people is "you've had a long IT career, sometimes there are unintended consequences from a change that breaks something. Can you tell me about a time you broke something by accident, what was the impact, and how was it fixed?"

the answers have been very telling. let's me know if they've even been in a position to break something, what their change control looked like, skill level at recovery, size of the environment, working with a team to fix something they broke and owning up to it, etc.

E: because gently caress it I break stuff all the time anyways, might as know how to handle it

tbh this question is hard to answer because working is an unending cycle of breaking something by accident and then fixing it i would be completely incapable of picking a single example of it for talking about in an interview

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Bloody posted:

tbh this question is hard to answer because working is an unending cycle of breaking something by accident and then fixing it i would be completely incapable of picking a single example of it for talking about in an interview

I usually just make something up by picking something that did happen but embellishing the gently caress out of it because I know what they're looking for me to say

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

I'm not sure I would call it gently caress you money but definitely something you can't walk away from. for a while there when I was working for a rocket ride stock my bonus RSUs were worth more than my base pay by the time they vested. it's hard to look at a guaranteed multiple of your base that all you have to do is sit around and collect and think about leaving.

hm, ive mostly heard it in the context of acquisitions where it's definitely a huge lump sum waiting at the end

but yeah recruiters have complained about amazon folks currently pulling down $300k+ and expecting that to be matched by salary right out the gate at a new place

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

amazon folks currently pulling down $300k+

lol the absurdity of tech

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

I usually just make something up by picking something that did happen but embellishing the gently caress out of it because I know what they're looking for me to say
just pick a thing some dipshit did to break and and take credit for whatever the smart person did to fix it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
working in amazon dev is not worth any amount

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

working is not worth any amount

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

someone please slap a pair of these golden 'cuffs on my frail developer wrists

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

golden cuffs own

lol if you require passion or fulfillment out of your 9-5

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

golden parachutes are better b/c they mean you dont have a job any more

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:toot: NYSE have 👍 me up to update the :chome: on the floor, I think it's only fair to get that guy on the screens somehow, probably a loading logo. Job hunting for development roles after this is going to suck. It's only hiring for management roles that actually like this work, every single other interviewer has expressed disdain otherwise.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 24, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MrMoo posted:

:toot: NYSE have 👍 me up to update the :chome: on the floor, I think it's only fair to get that guy on the screens somehow, probably a loading logo. Job hunting for development roles after this is going to suck. It's only hiring for management roles that actually like this work, every single other interviewer has expressed disdain otherwise.

please let us know if :chome: makes it to the trading floor

also don't forget his buddy :mome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm buyin :chome:

• Locked thread