Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm halfway done with my lessons now, and even though improvements aren't going as quickly as they were initially, I'm definitely still making good progress. I'm probably going to immediately sign up for the advanced class again as soon as this batch of classes ends in mid-March.

My crossovers are improving a ton, but I feel like crossovers are the only time I'm ever comfortable using my outside edges. I can do figure 8's on my inside edges fairly well, but I can't turn for poo poo on my outside edges. I've been working a lot on skating backwards, and it's incredibly frustrating that I can do C-Cuts fairly well with my right foot, but my left foot just refuses to cooperate and I don't know what to do. Even when I slow down to a snail's pace, my left foot won't work properly when skating backwards. I'm sure I just need more practice, but arrrgh it's so frustrating when my brain knows what to do and my body won't listen.

I have been skating, a lot, for over 30 years and I still do crossovers and most other edge work on my strong side significantly better than my weak side. Don't beat yourself up too much about it.

Get someone to tape you and you might be able to see whatever goofy thing you're doing that's making your stride not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

z0331 posted:

Can almost guarantee you're not bending your knees/getting low enough.

"ABC, always be crouching" was good advice from a Canadian friend of mine. I always try really hard to stay crouched. It's at the forefront of my mind pretty much at all times on the ice, especially when I'm skating backwards because if I'm not sticking my rear end way out, I'll fall forward. I also notice I'm not crouching enough if my lower back starts to hurt instead of my legs. This usually happens near the end of practice when I'm tired.

doctor 7 posted:

As far as backward skating with one foot being better than the other I'll just say what a retired gentlemen watching me learn to skate said about 3 years ago when I was just starting out:

"Ye ever noticed one foot is just way more fukken retarded than the other?" :clint:
Stupid left foot :argh:

I can cruise pretty well backwards just using my right foot to push, while my left is just along for the ride and occasionally steers, but I know that's not how I should be doing it, so I'm trying really hard and failing (so far) to get my left foot involved as much as my right.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

"ABC, always be crouching" was good advice from a Canadian friend of mine. I always try really hard to stay crouched. It's at the forefront of my mind pretty much at all times on the ice, especially when I'm skating backwards because if I'm not sticking my rear end way out, I'll fall forward. I also notice I'm not crouching enough if my lower back starts to hurt instead of my legs. This usually happens near the end of practice when I'm tired.

Stupid left foot :argh:

I can cruise pretty well backwards just using my right foot to push, while my left is just along for the ride and occasionally steers, but I know that's not how I should be doing it, so I'm trying really hard and failing (so far) to get my left foot involved as much as my right.

The thing I use to teach this to six year olds is C-cuts.

Here is a video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dy4j8Ut4OAs

The main thing to remember is that your power comes from he push out - the curve back in is mostly to recover. Focus on repetitions with your weak leg as much as possible, then work in alternating cuts with both sides.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If you're just cruising backwards and not doing crossovers or turning but just maintaining speed: stick dat rear end out and shake that fuckin' booty, baby. C cuts C cuts C cuts and don't bob your head & shoulders. Focus on form for a while to make sure you're doing both sides right instead of how fast you're actually going. So, yeah, basically what Kalenn Istarion said :v:

This video is not avaliable in my country :wtf::wtf::wtf::patriot:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Yeah I know what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing with regard to my form and C-Cuts. My right foot is fairly decent at them, but my left foot is dumb and stupid and I'm mad at it. :argh:

That video is also unavailable in my country. :911:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone has a weak side. You just need to make sure you work it twice as hard and eventually it'll catch up.

I believe there's even clips of NHLers out there saying they need to remind themselves to work both sides to avoid regression.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah I know what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing with regard to my form and C-Cuts. My right foot is fairly decent at them, but my left foot is dumb and stupid and I'm mad at it. :argh:

That video is also unavailable in my country. :911:

Find a good skate video and take your phone with you to a stick n puck or open skate or whatever, watch the video of said technique after you get geared up , (and as dippy as this sounds) visualize that poo poo in your mind then go try it out on ice. Get comfortable with your good side to get warmed up then practice your bad side. Then practice it some more. Then get frustrated when you don't see immediate improvement. Then practice it some more. Then do it that ONE TIME where it's like "gently caress yeah I got it!" then you'll gently caress it up for a good week trying to recapture that one time. Then keep practicing it. Then step 4: profit.

That's seriously helped me out a lot.

just keep practicing. never not be practicing.

Also bend your knees. <-- this is still my #1 problem when I start skating like a dipshit in the middle of a game.

Now bend them some more.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

If you're just cruising backwards and not doing crossovers or turning but just maintaining speed: stick dat rear end out and shake that fuckin' booty, baby. C cuts C cuts C cuts and don't bob your head & shoulders. Focus on form for a while to make sure you're doing both sides right instead of how fast you're actually going. So, yeah, basically what Kalenn Istarion said :v:

This video is not avaliable in my country :wtf::wtf::wtf::patriot:

I'm sorry you aren't Canadian enough

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Also when you get gud you can use your cut in to help generate additional velocity but this is hard as a beginner.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kalenn Istarion posted:

come on I know the secret handshake and everything

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kalenn Istarion posted:

But I love poutine and I think Justin Trudeau is super dreamy! :kimchi:

That probably just makes me human, though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I apologise entirely too much for an American and enjoy maple syrup plus I'm from the the southern part of the beaver state and that's basically California's Canada so where's my Maple-Card??
At least I'm assuming that's what your equivalent of our green card is...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Look you guys are culturally appropriating us enough as it is by playing our crazy sacred ice disc sport. If you start pouring maple syrup on french fries you're taking it a step too far.

In other ice disc related news I've come to hate my Wednesday league and need to find another option for sub E-level hockey next year. Why is it so hard to just run a decent league?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because there's literally no money in it so the people running leagues are doing it in their spare time and probably have no training in organizing anything anyways.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

dogstile posted:

My team keeps losing and people are getting shittier and shittier about it.

If you're in a cup competition its probably too late to do anything about it now, but I can certainly recommend some teams that fall under or close to the "Never Ever" side in the UK to try and arrange some games with.

Locally (for me)
Solihull Grizzlies
Coventry Centurions
Coventry Spitfires
Nottingham Sheriffs
Nottingham Knights

Teams they have played recently
Windsor Knights
Swindon Sabretooths
Sheffield Mavericks
Streatham Nightwolves

The other ones which are good to try and set things up with are the Uni B/C teams - they're usually again made up of first timers. For those games its better to just run them as "scrimmages" because for some reason there are all sorts of hoops you need to jump through to get them sanctioned.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 23, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I don't know what happened, but something clicked with my shot today and I was able to get like 10 really good wristers off in a row. It was a huge confidence boost seeing such a large improvement. Now I'm worried that I'll forget what I did right the next time I'm on the ice and all will be lost. :negative:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I don't know what happened, but something clicked with my shot today and I was able to get like 10 really good wristers off in a row. It was a huge confidence boost seeing such a large improvement. Now I'm worried that I'll forget what I did right the next time I'm on the ice and all will be lost. :negative:

Dont think just do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just means your muscle memory is developing. Practice works!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Got in some quality chirps tonight from the bench at expense of a guy wearing a blue tinted visor and white gloves. He took three trips to the box before getting tossed due to a game misconduct.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

chirps from the bench huh

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

:cripes:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

gently caress it I'm not fighting the fucker. Blame it on the alcohol.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

so you'll chirp from the bench good lord you're the worst

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had a break into the zone along the boards with a defenseman trying to push me wide, so did a hard stop and curl in hopes they would skate past.

She caught me hard and high into my chest/face as I turned, I caught a back edge and went flying backwards awkwardly into the boards. Both Refs blew an instant penalty for checking.

It wasn't until she was skating away with a pony tail hanging out that I realized I got hit by a girl. :smith:

I skated to the bench to lick my wounds. Found out she played d2 college hockey out east and was by far one of the better skaters on their team.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Vargatron posted:

Got in some quality chirps tonight from the bench at expense of a guy wearing a blue tinted visor and white gloves. He took three trips to the box before getting tossed due to a game misconduct.

Blue visors are the best, but white gloves are made to be attacked relentlessly .

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
hah what's the genesis of the white glove hate?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zip! posted:

If you're in a cup competition its probably too late to do anything about it now, but I can certainly recommend some teams that fall under or close to the "Never Ever" side in the UK to try and arrange some games with.

Locally (for me)
Solihull Grizzlies
Coventry Centurions
Coventry Spitfires
Nottingham Sheriffs
Nottingham Knights

Teams they have played recently
Windsor Knights
Swindon Sabretooths
Sheffield Mavericks
Streatham Nightwolves

The other ones which are good to try and set things up with are the Uni B/C teams - they're usually again made up of first timers. For those games its better to just run them as "scrimmages" because for some reason there are all sorts of hoops you need to jump through to get them sanctioned.

I've actually met some knights and I know a dude on the nightwolves, but I'll suggest the entire list. Currently we're playing in the Keen challenge charity cup (arranged by Oxford stars) because the deke cup was being weird this year!

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's wrong with chirping from the bench? That's where we come up with our best material.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I chirp on the bench, unfortunately it's all directed at my teammates.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

I use white gloves exclusively.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Green glove/hulk hand supremacy.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I chirp from the bench because it's the only time I'm not out of breath.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I dunno. Its a little sad to chirp from the bench because you're worried about being unable to avoid a men's league fight. Funnier during the play.

Also it's hard to hear it.

Unless you're chirping your own team then yeah

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like how I can do a miracle bar down snipe during warmups but during the game I can barely shoot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poo poo gets complicated when there's 6 people doing everything in their power to shut your rear end down.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

You are most likely standing still during warm ups, which you typically will not be doing during the game. Try skating from the blue line and shooting from the top of the circles. See the this for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT9M5-eaQA4

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

I chirp on the bench, unfortunately it's all directed at my teammates.

Same. There's pretty much non-stop all-in-good-fun poo poo talking with my know it all winger during games which is good because it probably keeps us from bagging on our weirdo garbage goalie. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Green glove/hulk hand supremacy.

There's too much red in our uniforms - we'd look too christmas'ey. I have black gloves and white gloves I got on clearance when a teammate accidentally walked off with one of my black gloves and I needed something fast. I got it back about two weeks later and hooooooly poo poo does it perma-stink now thanks to him. Dude must sweat vinegar.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

White gloves are terrible and you should feel bad. These are what I use (mostly for coaching) and they are pretty slick. Nice and light, they were only $75 Canadian so $55 us bucks or so

https://www.bauer.com/player-ice-hockey-gloves/vapor/x800-glove

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
okay, sure, I feel terrible deep down on the insides, but why? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

You know in your heart why

Also, I looked around for pro teams with white gloves and the only ones in recent memory are a couple of the all star teams, and we all know the all-star game is a joke