Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

There Bias Two posted:

I think the fact that she came out of that adventure suddenly able to understand fish hints at her underlying talent.

I thought that was her botching transforming back to Human; but yeah, Akko really needs a break in the form of some sort of talent. Harry had skill at flying on a broom, was decently good at teaching others, parseltongue, and could cast some advanced spellcasting (Patronis? Am I forgetting anything?).

Harry also could ace potions with the right instructions if Snape ever gave a drat. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh god, this episode had me in stitches. C- A.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wish they'd done a bit more with Diana in that scene. It seems a little weird that, after having that vision and being visibly surprised by it, we don't see Akko either press for more detail or Diana thinking more deeply about what she'd just seen.

Akko is Akko. She isn't a very intelligent person, and she's absolutely emotional. Faced with Diana saying she'll leave, her first instinct is to get really annoyed, not to ask for explanations, which will likely bite her in the rear end later when whatever Diana saw happens. Diana not giving more detail is either because she herself can't fully comprehend what she saw, or because she thinks giving said detail would make the situation worse. Which will likely bite her in the rear end later, because even she has constantly needed help despite her "best in school" thing.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think what Diana predicted already happened this episode. She left the school to go to the lake.

Unless the original Japanese meaning of the word they used for "left" doesn't have the connotation of leaving for a short period of time. If anyone can clarify that.

I find it hard to believe that Diana would react as she did if it was something that simple. The big thing about that scene isn't "Akko is leaving", it's Diana, a character that's been seen as mostly stoic and composed, looking genuinely worried. Whatever she saw, it's something big. Probably something that the teachers can't fix too, since she didn't bother giving any more details when she's never been against getting teacher's help if needed.

Nipponophile posted:

So Akko's been going to magical philosophy class this whole term, just watching everyone stare at the fishbowl and take notes, not even thinking to ask anyone what's going on.

It's a good thing she's taking her academic wake up call seriously.

It's very possible she thought everyone else was just doodling or writing dumb stuff. It's a very normal thing in boring classes, and I am entirely sure Akko is the kind of person who would be guilty of that (I can understand because I am absolutely guilty of it. My notebooks are full of stupid drawings, especially in my earlier university years).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not possible to think that every single person in class is dilligently doodling every single lesson. She's just a ditz.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Lol at that tabloid being "The Moon." Also, the newspaper text came from here: http://webdesignernotebook.com/examples/css-text.html

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I liked Sucy drinking a carton of fresh mushroom juice.

Also on a more artistic level I liked Ursala's eyes becoming more visible as she lets her guard down and more of Chariot peeks out from behind the mask. Especially with her eyes being the same colour as Akko's, to draw even more parallels between them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I liked Sucy drinking a carton of fresh mushroom juice.

Also on a more artistic level I liked Ursala's eyes becoming more visible as she lets her guard down and more of Chariot peeks out from behind the mask. Especially with her eyes being the same colour as Akko's, to draw even more parallels between them.

Oh, I hadn't actually noticed that they're the same color. That's a nice touch. Chariot's eyes in general are really good, there's something about the color + the shape that makes them really distinctive.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Spiritus Nox posted:

Good episode tonight. Still wish Akko would improve a bit faster, but this episode was a good step forward.

Also, man, gently caress all these non-Ursula teachers. How the hell does Akko even get into a class you need to be an advanced fish linguist to participate in?

This is a really bad school.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
this is a closing-school anime where the school deserves to close

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

such outdated institutions are in need of nationalization and modernization, vote Labour

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

such outdated institutions are in need of nationalization and modernization, vote Labour

Somehow I don't think Luna Nova is beholden to Ofsted.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The title of the series really alludes to the ending where Luna Nova is converted into an Academy by the Free School programme, after Ofsted placed it in Special Measures.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sadly, this is also when Akko leaves the school, when the May government expels her as a foreign national

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I don't like this story any more. :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/AshitanoGin/status/833427777416204291

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

It's a steel golem, it's fine.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I like that it actually made a Transformers transformation noise. Good detail. :allears:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Some interview recently talked about next episode, Imaishi's episode, and I believe it said something like "it's as if three episodes were crammed together". As expected

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Good

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
When I saw Akko got a C on a test, at first I didn't understand why she was so upset about it.

That says a lot about the kind of student I was. :eng99:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Command Ant posted:

When I saw Akko got a C on a test, at first I didn't understand why she was so upset about it.

That says a lot about the kind of student I was. :eng99:

I, on the other hand, immediately understood. Asian parents, yay.

Honestly I'm surprised she even managed a C. She probably did pretty well on the written portions but bombed most of the practicals.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It means at least half of what the crow was saying really did have to do with how it wanted food

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

The crow was actually doing the standard 'Language practice: Ordering food at a restaurant' bit, sadly because of the accent Akko just could not understand what he wanted was a nice plate of risotto and to know where the toilets are.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rodyle posted:

Sadly, this is also when Akko leaves the school, when the May government expels her as a foreign national

Do we know if Akko has parents? Big T's only kicking out the ones without them at the moment.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It would be kinda funny if Akko turns out to be some kind of language prodigy and the only reason she was having trouble before with the crow & Professor Pisces was because she'd had no exposure to non-human languages before 'cuz she grew up in a nonmagical household.

She certainly doesn't have any trouble communicating with all these people in not-England.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

El Burbo posted:

Some interview recently talked about next episode, Imaishi's episode, and I believe it said something like "it's as if three episodes were crammed together". As expected

I can't wait for Imaishi's episode

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Imaishi's episode will almost certainly be the one that everyone skips on rewatches, and tells new viewers not to look at.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Do we know if Akko has parents? Big T's only kicking out the ones without them at the moment.

She does, but she's still wasting fine, BRITISH schooling on a FOREIGN :britain:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rodyle posted:

Imaishi's episode will almost certainly be the one that everyone skips on rewatches, and tells new viewers not to look at

But Imaishi's work is pretty great. I doubt it will be bad.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It's gonna be the one with the boob expansion spell, right?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Akko is Akko. She isn't a very intelligent person, and she's absolutely emotional. Faced with Diana saying she'll leave, her first instinct is to get really annoyed, not to ask for explanations, which will likely bite her in the rear end later when whatever Diana saw happens. Diana not giving more detail is either because she herself can't fully comprehend what she saw, or because she thinks giving said detail would make the situation worse. Which will likely bite her in the rear end later, because even she has constantly needed help despite her "best in school" thing.

I get that, I just wish the show had at least hinted at a good reason for Diana's look of surprise/refusal to elaborate or question the vision instead of having her kind of vanish. It's not a big deal, just a minor thing that stood out to me.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

I get that, I just wish the show had at least hinted at a good reason for Diana's look of surprise/refusal to elaborate or question the vision instead of having her kind of vanish. It's not a big deal, just a minor thing that stood out to me.

If they weren't going to explain that look in this episode, I think it would have been better if they just played the prediction matter-of-fact without that knowing glance from Diana. That way when we learn the real significance of that prediction, the foreshadowing will have been subtle. Assuming it is foreshadowing, of course, but come on. This is a very nitpicky point though, overall the episode was great and cements that Akko is indeed improving, both in magic and as a person, and that's very exciting.

Am I the only one thinking there's going to be a big shift in the show at some point, and become larger in scope? Maybe I'm just looking at Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill and assuming too much of a pattern, but I really feel like the creators are planting a bunch of seeds for later in the show.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

hoobajoo posted:

Am I the only one thinking there's going to be a big shift in the show at some point, and become larger in scope? Maybe I'm just looking at Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill and assuming too much of a pattern, but I really feel like the creators are planting a bunch of seeds for later in the show.

Akko dies after she runs off on her own to fight a troll, Diana has to salvage the Shiny Rod from her corpse and save the school.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Qwertycoatl posted:

Akko dies after she runs off on her own to fight a troll, Diana has to salvage the Shiny Rod from her corpse and save the school.

I like it!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

And Akko can learn how to ride a broom from Inferno Cop in hell!

He's such a good role model.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

chiasaur11 posted:

And Akko can learn how to ride a broom from Inferno Cop in hell!

He's such a good role model.

And when she's flying that broom out of Hell back to the land of the living, she meets and high-fives Luluco!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

hoobajoo posted:

You're definitely not the only one.
IDK about larger in scope, but I'm certainly expecting something pretty major to change, just - as you said - like it did in Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This episode revealed Akko is surprisingly good at blowing poo poo up, maybe her destiny is to become a battlemage

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There will be a 40 year timeskip to Akko being a terrifying magical ecoterrorist who Diana has to take down.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

skasion posted:

This episode revealed Akko is surprisingly good at blowing poo poo up, maybe her destiny is to become a battlemage

EXPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSION! :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/835213305706864640

• Locked thread