Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Maybe Team Right is going to win their first round. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh man, if it turns out nine-gear crow was the one holding Team Right back this entire time...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Paul.Power posted:

So all else being equal, right still has a 3/16 or 19% chance to win. Possible, but you wouldn't shoot an X-COM alien on those odds.

unless we're talking UFO Defense in which case those are your best odds a lot of the time :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Oh man, if it turns out nine-gear crow was the one holding Team Right back this entire time...

You're more than welcome to take my place on that sinking ship of fools if you think you can do a better job, Mega.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Clearly, Team Right's only hope is the Tiger Claw.

...what? The glove looks sinister enough.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

nine-gear crow posted:

You're more than welcome to take my place on that sinking ship of fools if you think you can do a better job, Mega.

Do you have any insights as to your former team's psychological status? Any interesting rumors going around about your teammates you can confirm?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GeneX posted:

Do you have any insights as to your former team's psychological status? Any interesting rumors going around about your teammates you can confirm?

It's all true. All of it. Team Right is broken, desperate, flailing about in a blind panic and headed for destruction. The fact that I'm even here, willing to discuss this is proof of the disunity consuming our once united, fabulously gloved empire.

The collapse is real. Also yeah, don't get too comfortable. Once Right falls, Left is totally coming for all your asses. They won't be satisfied with just one kill.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Round 7 is finished!

The result:

ROCK SORTA JUST LAYS NEXT TO ROCK! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 3-0 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRR-
R: RRPRSSR-

Summary:

Aaaand we're back to the familiar old rock tie. C'mon Team Right, you can pull this back!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
More than half the throws in this game have been rock. :psyduck: Does anyone have data on throw incidence in human-on-human games?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
How many more times are these people going to throw rock? I say two more sets of Rock ties.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Out of the three wins so far, 2 of them have come from throwing rock, and in contests of rock vs scissors in this game, rock has beaten scissors in 100% of contests.

Based on these comprehensive statistics that absolutely tell the whole story, we can now say, with statistical certitude, that everyone playing RPS in any scenario should always play rock.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Team Right would have a better relative score if they had been throwing nothing but rock, so that checks out

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Added Space posted:

More than half the throws in this game have been rock. :psyduck: Does anyone have data on throw incidence in human-on-human games?
Good question. Here's some poo poo I found about it. Take this with the appropriate salt that you'd treat anything from Google, though this is mostly based on the World RPS championships (where they actually record numbers!), so it seems decent.
1.) Apparently among experts at the World RPS tourneys, the throw breakdown is as follows: 35.4% rock, 35.0% paper, 29.6% scissors
2.) Due to some underlying psychology about rock being BIG DICK testosterone manly, rock is disproportionately thrown by the first throw by novice men. This is apparently even more true when RPS is played spontaneously without much time to think.
3.) There's apparently no real consensus about what women are most likely to throw first. Be surprised (not really) but most RPS tournaments and studies apparently skew heavily male.
4.) Most novices are very reluctant to play the same throw three straight times*, so make your call by assuming they won't do it again.

*Though apparently Left has just said "gently caress it, we're going rock till it stops working".

A few sources:
http://worldrps.com/advanced-rps/sample-page/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11051704/How-to-always-win-at-rock-paper-scissors.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-blame-game/201504/the-surprising-psychology-rock-paper-scissors

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 8 is finished!

The result:

ROCK ROCKS ROCK! IT IS A TIE!

Current score: 3-0 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRRR-
R: RRPRSSRR-

Summary:

These teams sure love playing rock. Who will blink first this time?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I hope left is going for the sextuple rock gambit. No one would expect that, right?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Good ol' rock. Nothing beats that!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I am becoming more convinced with each passing round that it will be Rock, Sturdiest and Most Virtuous of the RPS Three, that will prevail.

Furthermore, I think we can all agree that Rock has now proven itself to be so formidable that next time we have a rock vs. paper contest, paper will not beat rock, but will, at best, tie. I know that at the outset we would have found this unthinkable, but that just speaks to how far we've come in the understanding of this game.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
At this point, with 11 out of 16 plays (L:6, R:5) being rock, one has to wonder if there is some sort of rock fetish at play here?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I'll be surprised if they ever switch away from Rock. It's like nukes! The first one to change away from Rock-Rock is the first one to die!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Pea posted:

At this point, with 11 out of 16 plays (L:6, R:5) being rock, one has to wonder if there is some sort of rock fetish at play here?

You make it sound perverse!

There is no rock "fetish", you filthy scissors apologist. There is merely a growing religious reverence for the rock-hard power of rock, which stays hard no matter what, has always beaten scissors, and now, I believe, will be able to finally beat paper as well.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

This is actually pretty interesting by now: I wouldn't blame Team Right for assuming Team Left will literally pick rock forever just to win in the most humiliating way possible. If Right plays paper to preempt this, and Left switches around to scissors, it would be a pretty impressive mind game to end this massacre of a match on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is one hell of a cold war.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The only way to lose is not to play rock

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Please Team Right. Please following Oblivion's precisely correct reasoning and go with it. It doesn't have to end like this

e: they're doing it... they're doing it :neckbeard:

Olive! fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 25, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 9 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAK SCISSORS! TEAM RIGHT SCORES!

Current score: 3-1 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRRRS-
R: RRPRSSRRR-

Summary:

Okay, that was honestly pretty amazing. Team Left finally gambles on playing scissors, confident that Team Right will accept that they are weirdos and switch to paper. Team Right is extremely close to falling into the trap, but an amazingly prescient piece of reasoning by Oblivion4568238 convinces them to put their fate in rock once more, punishing the hubris of Team Left and scoring their first point of the game! Will this be enough to turn the match around?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NO SWEEP FOR LEFT! :woop:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Well now we can confirm that scissors is cursed I guess? :confuoot:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Team Left has lost its moral core, throwing scissors for the first time and losing faith in that most trustworthy of throws, Rock. Team Right displays the reverence for Rock that Rock deserves and gets their first win as a reward, because Rock provides.

If team left is to win this, they have to return to their worship of Rock before it is too late.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Team Left nooooooo

Cathode Raymond posted:

If team left is to win this, they have to return to their worship of Rock before it is too late.

Agreed

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
All hail the Helix Rock?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Round 10 is finished!

The result:

ROCK BREAK SCISSORS! TEAM RIGHT SCORES!

Current score: 3-2 in favour of Team Left, one point left to win.

Previous moves:

L: PRPRRRRRSS-
R: RRPRSSRRRR-

Summary:

Team Left: "They totally will not expect us to place the inferior always losing move scissors twice in a row, since it always loses. :smug:"

But Team Right expected it. Scissors never win. This game might actually be a fight now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Man, crow was really holding those guys back.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Looking forward to "I can't believe Team Left blew a 3-0 lead"

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
This is the hypest thread on SA right now.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
This was a bit of a stomping at first, but now it is the turnabout underdog story of the year! It's really intense, can't wait to see the next move!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Takanago posted:

Warriors...Indians...Falcons...Team Left?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Well poo poo, seems like Oblivion's struck again meaning that we're going to have it all come down to one throw.

I'm honestly kind of baffled at the fact that said statement is actually generating legitimate excitement.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Takanago posted:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I see from the Right thread that Crow jumped right back onto their team once their fortune changed.

EDIT: And the way voting is going, the Rock Reform Movement is going to lose out on team left and they're about to throw paper and lose to scissors for the first time. Shameful. Utterly shameful.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 28, 2017

• Locked thread