Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pattonesque posted:

There are no DLC party members. A seventh one was planned (a salarian I think) but cut in development

that fucks me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

There are no DLC party members. A seventh one was planned (a salarian I think) but cut in development

is that a lifetime guarantee or should i be mentally inserting a "yet" at the end of that first sentence

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I like every Mass effect game and will be buying this.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cowcaster posted:

is that a lifetime guarantee or should i be mentally inserting a "yet" at the end of that first sentence

my understanding is that they said they'd have no DLC party members

now whether that means no permanent DLC members like Javik or Kasumi or no one even like Aria, I dunno

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

my understanding is that they said they'd have no DLC party members

now whether that means no permanent DLC members like Javik or Kasumi or no one even like Aria, I dunno

that's cool if true, but i retain the paranoid suspicion that they meant "at launch"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

:same:

Except I got a discounted pre-order from Amazon Prime and an Amazon gift card

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 23, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Inquisition never got any DLC companions. They probably see the area/mission pack model as working better because many people don't want to replay the game just to use a dlc character.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
could the enemies have less fantasy names tho, i mean fiend is literally a da enemy

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i have yet to see if you get the cool tech armor ability where you explode if you take too much damage, but i played like 400 hours of mass effect multiplayer so i'll play this too

do we know how the multiplayer works yet? is it back to the old system where you need to randomly unlock the classes you want to play?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i have yet to see if you get the cool tech armor ability where you explode if you take too much damage, but i played like 400 hours of mass effect multiplayer so i'll play this too

do we know how the multiplayer works yet? is it back to the old system where you need to randomly unlock the classes you want to play?
From what they've said the basics of the loot system are the same, but there's also "mission funds" now, which you can use to buy specific items out of a rotating selection. So you will be able to pursue specific things more.
Also, I'm expecting Tech Armor is the sentinel profile perk, but that is one of the only profiles that they haven't shown off at all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, Ian Frazier has confirmed that 6 companions is what we're getting.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That's kind of a bummer

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

marshmallow creep posted:

Okay, Ian Frazier has confirmed that 6 companions is what we're getting.

If they're actually interesting and have depth, then I'm okay with that.

*cue laughter*

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I have no real opinion on most of the party members at present because we know basically fuckall about them.

I'm reminded of pre-Inquisition threads which was filled with people mocking what little pre-release info we had on Iron Bull and now those same people will defend him to the death as their bae.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I am happy there isn't too many companions.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Inverness posted:

Not really, Andromeda has vehicles for travel.

Inquisition had horses, didn't solve anything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i could go either way on slanngoiter mcmonocle

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah but that's because the horses were poo poo and almost slower than walking. I traveled faster using the warriors Bull's Charge ability than using a mount.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Back Hack posted:

Inquisition had horses, didn't solve anything.

inquisition's horses were bad because you'd have to stop every few paces to interact with stuff and also it stopped all party banter

much easier to have party banter if you're all in the same vehicle

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Any system requirements out yet? Not sure if I should upgrade my 970 for this or not.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have no real opinion on most of the party members at present because we know basically fuckall about them.

I'm reminded of pre-Inquisition threads which was filled with people mocking what little pre-release info we had on Iron Bull and now those same people will defend him to the death as their bae.

I don't think that anybody was impressed by what they saw of Solas pre-release, yet he turned out to be a really good character. It simply makes no sense to judge the companions by what little we've seen yet.

Fangz posted:

I am happy there isn't too many companions.

Seconding this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

inquisition's horses were bad because you'd have to stop every few paces to interact with stuff and also it stopped all party banter

much easier to have party banter if you're all in the same vehicle

They were also not a hell of a lot faster than just running. In a game with fast travel points dotted around the map.

Zero utility and only one side quest that required them (which from memory just unlocked another mount so you miss nothing by skipping it).

I honestly think the mounts in DA:I were just a marketing bullet point because of how prominently it featured in the pre order advertising.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think some of the optional areas were better suited for horse riding. It was pretty fun to ride across the bigger desert maps. Hissing wastes, was it? It was also interesting (but probably unintended) that the horse had no fall damage so there's shortcuts from just riding off of cliffs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There will be face codes, and moreover:

quote:

[Y]ou'll be able to upload your character data to the upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda social site so that other players will know what you look like, as well as download other players' characters if you like their style.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I like you, spirit animal.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
They have at least penciled in plans for sequels so less companions now leaves room for more without things getting really crowded right away.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

They have at least penciled in plans for sequels so less companions now leaves room for more without things getting really crowded right away.

Yeah, this is a good thing because we're sure to have a cliffhanger ending too

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

They were also not a hell of a lot faster than just running. In a game with fast travel points dotted around the map.

Zero utility and only one side quest that required them (which from memory just unlocked another mount so you miss nothing by skipping it).

I honestly think the mounts in DA:I were just a marketing bullet point because of how prominently it featured in the pre order advertising.

I played a little of DAInq a few months ago before becoming utterly bored by it and uninstalling it (I think I had played it completely through near its original release). This time I had ... acquired the dlc and was utterly dumbfounded at all the mounts they had.

The mounts looked varied and some looked super cool but the entire practical gameplay utility of mounts was just so loving stupid. Teh fact that it would shut off party banter was one of the stupidest fuckign design decisions Bioware could have made. The fact that you couldn't collect poo poo from your mount was also retarded. Although, the fact that the game was an mmo based on collecting poo poo and then had a three second harvesting animation for each loving thing you tried to pick up was also goddamned ridiculous.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
EA has zero confidence in this game if we're ~a month out and "here's some B-roll" is all the coverage they're letting people do.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Drifter posted:

I played a little of DAInq a few months ago before becoming utterly bored by it and uninstalling it (I think I had played it completely through near its original release). This time I had ... acquired the dlc and was utterly dumbfounded at all the mounts they had.

The mounts looked varied and some looked super cool but the entire practical gameplay utility of mounts was just so loving stupid. Teh fact that it would shut off party banter was one of the stupidest fuckign design decisions Bioware could have made. The fact that you couldn't collect poo poo from your mount was also retarded. Although, the fact that the game was an mmo based on collecting poo poo and then had a three second harvesting animation for each loving thing you tried to pick up was also goddamned ridiculous.

DAI would have been so much better if followers wandered around harvesting herbs and minerals and shooting at wildlife like in Dragon's Dogma. With no weight concerns it wouldn't even be a big deal when you open up Sera's inventory screen and she's picked up 30 pairs of pants unlike my weird special boy pawn in Dragon's Dogma who totally tanked his stamina regen due to his heavy-rear end skull collection.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
In my dream game as a spirit animal I want things to have a utility purpose more then just window dressing like having the whatever-is-equivalent to the Mako to allow to change equipment etc that might be my greatest dislike about ME.

A lot of window dressing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

EA has zero confidence in this game if we're ~a month out and "here's some B-roll" is all the coverage they're letting people do.

There's a ton of stuff coming out today from the press event held a week or so ago where a bunch of people got a good amount of hands on time with the game.

e: here's a reddit thread with a bunch of them - https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5vq0qp/embargospoiler_discussion_thread/

and here's a comment that summarized a lot of them - https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5vq0qp/embargospoiler_discussion_thread/de4a760/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

Yeah, the game has big flaws. Most of them are because of said original conception as an MMO, but even MMOs usually have mounts that are significantly faster than walking. I really don't understand what Bioware thought they were doing here. Locking out character banter, one of the best feature of Bioware games, is just the cherry on top.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Glenn Quebec posted:

In my dream game as a spirit animal I want things to have a utility purpose more then just window dressing like having the whatever-is-equivalent to the Mako to allow to change equipment etc that might be my greatest dislike about ME.

A lot of window dressing.

I want to trick out my Mako and also biotic charge it into something. Put a tiny fist on the front of it as decoration too.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
With these profiles you can change mid battle, companions are even more useless. Just let me run solo, please

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Also the preview event that the embargo just ended for?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Timespy posted:

Any system requirements out yet? Not sure if I should upgrade my 970 for this or not.

Not yet? I think the vocal Bioware guy said next week?

You shouldn't have to upgrade from a 970 with a current gen Frostbite Engine game.

Edit: "Either this week or next"

https://mobile.twitter.com/tibermoon/status/834053595075076096

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Somebody mentioned this earlier, but it really kinda bothers me - Mass Effect Andromeda doesn't seem like you have the option of telling your teammates what powers to use.
There's just that one empty space next to your squad mates.
:crossarms:

also: Adept Supremacy :black101:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

nerdz posted:

With these profiles you can change mid battle, companions are even more useless. Just let me run solo, please

Why the gently caress would you run a bioware game solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Trast posted:

Yea. Six is the exact number ME1 had and I don't think more companions was ever an issue with it.

Also yes, it looks like manual companion control is out. On the other hand it looks like companions are very aggressive about using detonators on enemies you've primed.