Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VileLL posted:

Where did that whole thing where Jonah Jameson's a really good journalist/ news magnate up until Spider-Man gets involved come from? Like the whole part from Born Again where he's furious that Urich's backing off from reporting the truth, or his depiction throughout Alias, that kind of thing

It's not quite like that. It's more that Jameson's a very obvious Charles Foster Kane pastiche. He used to be a man of integrity, but he's lost some of it along the way, and now lets his biases and business/political ambitions cloud his judgement, with his crusade against Spider-man being the most obvious example. Basically, he's a slimy, two-faced, suck-up, blustering fool on the surface, but if you back him up against the wall, the reporter with integrity rises to the surface again. It's why he has Robbie Robertson on the payroll. Dude always disagrees with Jonah, but Jonah usually concedes that he's right (except when it comes to Spider-man). Joe keeps him honest. And yeah, he's more or less always been that way.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think he starts to really change or develop after Ditko leaves, because I think there was an element of Ditko's philosophy in his characterisation.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know exactly when, but I'd wager in the 80s if you are looking for some kind of concrete "i have principles!" or "check out my origin as reporter!" examples. That's when you have his Scorpion funding past come back to bite him in the rear end so that he steps down as EIC and that's when Robertson goes through his Tombstone saga (though I don't recall if Jameson ever busts his chops over it or not).

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

That's all really cool + helpful, thanks, had definitely just assumed it was more of a "recent" thing than that.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I did a cursory Google and Amazon search and didn't turn up anything, does anyone know where I could get a poster of the page from Birthright where Superman is holding up the kid and the giant S?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he starts to really change or develop after Ditko leaves, because I think there was an element of Ditko's philosophy in his characterisation.

Agreed. Ditko's influence really makes Jonah out to almost be a villain and the only character that Peter actively and continues to be mean too (usually as Spidey), and plays it off as okay to be mean because Jonah is profiting off of other people's (IE Peter and other Bugle employees) work. Jonah doesn't beome a fuller character until after Ditko leaves. In the original run, the only time Jonah does any good is when it serves him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, Spider-Man was kind of a shithead to everyone back then.

It's kind of confusing an objectivist would be in the superhero gig at all, but Ditko always has been an incredibly moral and principle person, unlike Every Other Objectivist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The best thing that happened to Jonah was the introduction of Robbie. That Robbie was allowed to be who he was at the Bugle instantly humanizes Jonah and make him more sane.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

The best thing that happened to Jonah was the introduction of Robbie. That Robbie was allowed to be who he was at the Bugle instantly humanizes Jonah and make him more sane.
/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I did a cursory Google and Amazon search and didn't turn up anything, does anyone know where I could get a poster of the page from Birthright where Superman is holding up the kid and the giant S?

Take the book to a print shop, have them do a hi res scan of the page and blow it up to the size you want. As long as it's a one off they should be fine doing this. Offer to pay cash and throw $5 at the counter kid if they say it's against policy.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Take the book to a print shop, have them do a hi res scan of the page and blow it up to the size you want. As long as it's a one off they should be fine doing this. Offer to pay cash and throw $5 at the counter kid if they say it's against policy.

I had a feeling that's about what I'd be doing. Thanks for the advice!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I could give you a clean HD scan from my Comixology copy, if you could give me the issue number.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I could give you a clean HD scan from my Comixology copy, if you could give me the issue number.

It would be either issues 11 or 12, the trade doesn't have any clear dividers. In the trade it's page 255.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here ya go.
https://i.imgur.com/0y86fAj.jpg

e: Anyone know of a host that doesn't automatically convert PNGs to JPGs?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 23, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That child ain't got legs.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
He was like that when Superman got there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here ya go.
https://i.imgur.com/0y86fAj.jpg

e: Anyone know of a host that doesn't automatically convert PNGs to JPGs?

All the image hosts that retain quality tend to shut down because people don't care enough about that.

Google Drive/Dropbox/etc. would be the best way, I guess? It should retain everything that way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't even know imgur started doing that, I guess I never upload files big enough for it to happen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't under a certain file size.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Fallen Rib
Here is a question to test your nerd knowledge: what are the favourite food of random superheroes? What does Superman, Batman, Spiderman etc like to eat?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Madkal posted:

Here is a question to test your nerd knowledge: what are the favourite food of random superheroes? What does Superman, Batman, Spiderman etc like to eat?

I know Bendis writing Spider-Man, in both Ultimate and in his Avengers stuff, has often had Spidey reference various NYC joints.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman - A milkshake that's so thick
Martian Manhunter - Chocos
Deadpool - Chimichangas but more as a word than a food I think?
Batman - Lobster Thermidor
Spider-Man - Wheatcakes
Sharon Carter - Cheeseburgers
Iron Man - Shawarma

you need to eat it with a spoon.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

Superman's favorite food is beef bourguinon with ketchup, because he's a hayseed. It's quite well established.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ultimate Colossus loving loves sandwiches

Wolverine's is beer

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

I will accept this and I hope it gets referenced in every Batman comic now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

Iron Man - Shawarma

Do they make that with booze in it?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

prefect posted:

Do they make that with booze in it?

*grabs you by the shoulders and shakes you madly* my man have u watched Sandra Lee

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Spider-Man - Wheatcakes

Favourite breakfast. I don't know if he has a fave food for lunch/dinner, though like any New Yorker he's been shown to enjoy pizza and hot dogs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Wolverine, Breakfast - Beer
Wolverine, Lunch - Beer
Wolverine, Dinner - Beer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman - Beef Boogeryawn with ketchup.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Madkal posted:

I will accept this and I hope it gets referenced in every Batman comic now.

It has to be specifically microwaved lobster Thermidor.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Spidey and Loki love hot dogs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

According to the best Secret Invasion tie-in, Hank Pym really likes coffee with some chocolate in it, at a place that exploded.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Superman - A milkshake that's so thick
Martian Manhunter - Chocos
Deadpool - Chimichangas but more as a word than a food I think?
Spider-Man - Wheatcakes
Sharon Carter - Cheeseburgers
Iron Man - Shawarma

you need to eat it with a spoon.

Wow that was one hell of a deep cut superman joke. I appreciated that, even if nobody else got it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Spider-Man's is obviously Hostess Fruit Pies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Spider-Man's is obviously Hostess Fruit Pies.

That's everyone but Joker.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Fallen Rib
I know Lex Luthor likes 40 cakes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Green Arrow used to love chili, and was infamous for making it really spicy.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

purple death ray posted:

Wow that was one hell of a deep cut superman joke. I appreciated that, even if nobody else got it.

I giggled in most unmanful fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Superman - Beef Boogeryawn with ketchup.

Remember when Morrison tried to make him a vegetarian.