Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Stab posted:

Also the preview event that the embargo just ended for?

Outlets (at least Giant Bomb) only being allowed to talk over already released trailers, is what he's referring to I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Drifter posted:

Somebody mentioned this earlier, but it really kinda bothers me - Mass Effect Andromeda doesn't seem like you have the option of telling your teammates what powers to use.
There's just that one empty space next to your squad mates.
:crossarms:

From the last video it doesn't look like they have that many abilities and function more as primar/detonators bots more then anything else.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So the fuckers won't engage on enemies while I'm cloaking. also

Fangz posted:

Why the gently caress would you run a bioware game

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Outlets (at least Giant Bomb) only being allowed to talk over already released trailers, is what he's referring to I think.

places like RPS have been able to review about four hours worth of the game, which had several missions in it. it was an edited demo, but still. More reviews and longer gameplay will be incoming soon, I believe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BexGu posted:

From the last video it doesn't look like they have that many abilities and function more as primar/detonators bots more then anything else.

What does this mean? Like, liam only has the power to freeze a person, and COra only has the power to explode a person, and if you freeze someone you tell cora to blow them up?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Drifter posted:

What does this mean? Like, liam only has the power to freeze a person, and COra only has the power to explode a person, and if you freeze someone you tell cora to blow them up?

Yes, they show it off here in the video that as released today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3q_Nd5arZM&t=186s

In the video they do a singularity and then have Cora Charge into it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rinkles posted:

"Here's some trailers and also a preview event" is a different thing than "here's some trailers" His issue is that they didn't let people take footage at the event? That's hardly indicative of "zero confidence" and is instead more indicative of wanting to save video of the opening of the game for some later date.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I kind of hope there's more native Andromeda races than Angran and Kett.

If we're having a mostly Milkey Way party, I'd hope it'd be that way to see how established races bounce off of the newcomers

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BexGu posted:

Yes, they show it off here in the video that as released today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3q_Nd5arZM&t=186s

In the video they do a singularity and then have Cora Charge into it.

So it seems like they have one prime and one det ability, and they'll use them adaptively - like if an enemy doesn't have a status effect yet, they'll auto use the prime effect, or if the enemy already has a status on, they'll use the detonation effect?

uhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrr...I guess that's okay, since I believe someone mentioned that me:A reduced the multiple prime/det effects down into one category apiece. That means I'll pause the game less while having the team use their powers, since I won't have to select a specific power to counter a specific armor or whatever.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

There will be face codes, and moreover:

quote:

[Y]ou'll be able to upload your character data to the upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda social site so that other players will know what you look like, as well as download other players' characters if you like their style.

Yessss. I've always wanted a decent site for face codes and stuff. The old Mass Effect 2 faces site used to be good, but then it received a terrible redesign and half the faces on there now need you to download a facemorph or something.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Not being able to control companions is probably okay if their ai is serviceable. If the ai is competant enough to use overload on shield guys and use warp on armour dudes that's like 95% of what I used the wheel for in 2 and 3 anyways.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Drifter posted:

also: Adept Supremacy :black101:

I played Adept as my "main" runthrough of the trilogy and this was the exact moment that I realized I was overthinking it when deciding what to do for Andromeda

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Firebert posted:

Not being able to control companions is probably okay if their ai is serviceable. If the ai is competant enough to use overload on shield guys and use warp on armour dudes that's like 95% of what I used the wheel for in 2 and 3 anyways.

i know when i think bioware games i think "serviceable, competent ai companions"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It seems like you set them up with preset commands like "If I hit them with X, you follow up with Y", which was mostly all I did anyway so it eliminates a few button presses. I liked controlling the squad though, made it feel like more of a team effort.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

It seems like you set them up with preset commands like "If I hit them with X, you follow up with Y", which was mostly all I did anyway so it eliminates a few button presses. I liked controlling the squad though, made it feel like more of a team effort.

That's acceptable, that kind of thing worked okay most of the time in DAO and DAI.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Are things like incendiary ammo and the such still a thing? I know they mentioned it earlier in development.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kurieg posted:

Are things like incendiary ammo and the such still a thing? I know they mentioned it earlier in development.

Yes, but they're now not passives that you turn on when you start a mission and never think of again. When you activate them you only get them for a set number of shots before they expire and need to be reapplied.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Seemlar posted:

Yes, but they're now not passives that you turn on when you start a mission and never think of again. When you activate them you only get them for a set number of shots before they expire and need to be reapplied.
Okay, I've now found something about this game that I'm sure I will hate.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cowcaster posted:

i know when i think bioware games i think "serviceable, competent ai companions"

"ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!"

:charges at your blindly:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have no real opinion on most of the party members at present because we know basically fuckall about them.

Peebee walks to her own daredevil drumbeat and has an pathalogical thirst for adventure. She’s pathologically independent but manages to maintain a loose, even friendly spirit. Bored with the Milky Way, she would have done anything to join the Initiative – flirt, favors, fudged credentials. But to her, she was just hitching a ride to the great unknown.

(they changed "pathalogical" to "unrivaled" literally today hahahahahaha)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Trast posted:

"ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!"

:charges at your blindly:

I remember Wrex being really good at slow stepping towards where I told him to go. Sometimes he would fire his weapon before dying.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

That's acceptable, that kind of thing worked okay most of the time in DAO and DAI.

Yeah but otoh why not just let the player tell them when to use them?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kurtofan posted:

could the enemies have less fantasy names tho, i mean fiend is literally a da enemy
Wouldn't surprise me if those were placeholder names. If not, well, I guess I'm not that interested in whatever something's called if all I'm going to do is shoot it :shepface:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And Reapers had names like Brute, Ravager, and Banshee. If we're nitpicking.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

In all the games the krogans were the easist to leave alone in combat. Their regen and hitpoints gave them some leeway for stupidity. After that the snipers who could sit back and plink away. After that things drop off a cliff as far as survivability. You had to manage people like Thane but the payoff was setting up combos.

Lets be real though krogans are the best because of the sheer joy they take in running amok.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Trast posted:

Lets be real though krogans are the best because of the sheer joy they take in running amok.
MP krogans and their delighted laughter after smashing someone's face into jelly. That and "haha, headshot!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Playing a warlord is basically 75% cackling like a loon as you horribly murder Banshees and atlases in melee combat with your exploding hammer, and 25% lying on the ground because you miscalculated how much health they had left and subsequently got sync killed.

Still, barely grazing a husk with a head butt and watching them fly into orbit is great

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Speaking of multiplayer, who's breaking NDA on the beta? I wanna read please.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

MP krogans and their delighted laughter after smashing someone's face into jelly. That and "haha, headshot!"

Between round krogan mosh pit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mymla posted:

Yeah but otoh why not just let the player tell them when to use them?

Probably because they ran out of buttons.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Seemlar posted:

Oh that's pretty lame. I won't like that.

Can we apply ammo powers to melee weapons?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

The squadmate AI in 2 was pretty much perfect, I rarely had to pause the game and say "NO MIRANDA GODDAMN IT CAST OVERLOAD"

Then again every trilogy playthrough I do, I end up just doing all the work. I just did the fight at the end of recruiting Liara in ME1 and I forgot how absolutely braindead your guys are, they just stand there and let the Krogan kill them in the first 2 seconds of the fight even on Normal.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yea. Six is the exact number ME1 had and I don't think more companions was ever an issue with it.

Also yes, it looks like manual companion control is out. On the other hand it looks like companions are very aggressive about using detonators on enemies you've primed.

The problem isn't quantity it's that we are going to a new galaxy and I have to hang with a bunch of boring humans and the same old aliens.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Trast posted:

In all the games the krogans were the easist to leave alone in combat. Their regen and hitpoints gave them some leeway for stupidity. After that the snipers who could sit back and plink away. After that things drop off a cliff as far as survivability. You had to manage people like Thane but the payoff was setting up combos.

Wrex and Grunt were pretty unstoppable in the combat simulator in the Citadel DLC. They could basically solo entire waves by themselves. I remember the solution to the "get the max high score" challenge to unlock the Phantom armor was to pick Reapers on the hardest difficulty and then Wrex and Grunt as your squad.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Wrex and Grunt were pretty unstoppable in the combat simulator in the Citadel DLC. They could basically solo entire waves by themselves. I remember the solution to the "get the max high score" challenge to unlock the Phantom armor was to pick Reapers on the hardest difficulty and then Wrex and Grunt as your squad.

There is video of it on youtube and it is hilarious. Just endless krogan laughter and explosions.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I do hope the frame rate issues IGN mentioned get fixed with a day one patch.

Seeing how smooth it looks in the recent videos really impressed me. I don't remember how well ME 2 and 3 ran. Was it as smooth?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I do hope the frame rate issues IGN mentioned get fixed with a day one patch.

Seeing how smooth it looks in the recent videos really impressed me. I don't remember how well ME 2 and 3 ran. Was it as smooth?

It's worth noting the gameplay trailers end with "CAPTURED IN ENGINE. REPRESENTATIVE OF GAME EXPERIENCE". That is, not recorded footage. Which I think is uncommon with this kind of gameplay (stuff that's clearly not cutscene or free camera footage)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's technically shaky at launch.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

According to the lead developer, the press build was an old one, but that doesn't really mean anything either way.
I wouldn't expect any big improvements from the EA access build though, so if you're worried just wait until people get their hands on that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ein Sexmonster posted:

According to the lead developer, the press build was an old one, but that doesn't really mean anything either way.
I wouldn't expect any big improvements from the EA access build though, so if you're worried just wait until people get their hands on that.

I loooove this excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

I loooove this excuse.

It's likely true, but this late in the cycle performances issues that everybody seems to have noticed, definitely raises a red flag.