Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So is that Diabolos? It doesn't match the design of Bahamut in XIV, and that's the best I can think of for alternative dragon-shaped monsters.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Hopefully the remake's soundtrack will just be completely in a cappella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFNIT-Jdqk

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cleretic posted:

So is that Diabolos? It doesn't match the design of Bahamut in XIV, and that's the best I can think of for alternative dragon-shaped monsters.

It is FFXIV Diabolos yes

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I always thought it was strange that they named Costa del Sol what they did. Is there any other place in the series that's named after a real location?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paris in Lightning Returns....

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

I always thought it was strange that they named Costa del Sol what they did. Is there any other place in the series that's named after a real location?

It may have just been in the English translation but if you can buy Korean BBQ plate at the Wall Market Diner.
And then there's the world map of Earth in the background of Winhill.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It may have just been in the English translation but if you can buy Korean BBQ plate at the Wall Market Diner.
And then there's the world map of Earth in the background of Winhill.

IIRC the "Korean BBQ" is just yakiniku in the original so that one's just a translation thing.

That said, it does say "Texas" in the front of the Seventh Heaven bar for example.

E: Same with the inside.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 23, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You are absolutely hindered by having 2 people in the paradigm combat system. In FF4 it didn't matter nearly as much.

Besides the point already brought up that FF13 balances around that already, you already have several points before Chapter 9 where you control 3 character parties (end of Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 7). You could say your point is that the game gets hindered with Sahz/Vanille segments, which is a bit more fair. But even that is only half the time of what people call "game is tutorial before pulse" that I'm arguing against here when I brought up the FF4 comparison to when you get 3-member-parties in 13.

Shoren posted:

In FF13, your individual characters don't matter so much as the roles you have them in.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's also worth noting that in FF4, each character was very distinct, and part of the fun and challenge was adapting to the changing party.

For the first half of 13, characters aren't the same either. Sahz and Hope have different initial Synergist spells for a while, same for Fang and Vanille as Saboteurs, etc. And the characters having differing roles is a pretty significant deal to party composition itself (e.g. for why Fang/Snow aren't just alt Lightnings). Characters and paradigms are tied together and are important for distinction just as other typical character differences in other RPGs (or, arguably, just a little less, though imo I'd disagree with that).

In FF4, you lose Rydia and Rosa from your party...and then not too long after you get Palom and Porom who aren't too much different ignoring summons. Not every character switch in the game is quite like that tbf, but I definitely wouldn't say every party switch in FF4 was that much more distinct than what you have going on in FF13.

fridge corn posted:

I can't really fault 13 for its battle system. I think 13 is a fine game but for whatever reason I didn't find anything it offered particularly compelling. For what 13 does it does competently and without any of the glaring flaws that 15 has

I think most of us by this point treat FF13 as just a super focused game. For what it chose to do well, the battle system and good balance throughout the plot progression, it handled those things to among the best the series has done yet. And then barely did anything else with the story/level design/etc. Since I usually care more about the former points, FF13 stood out to me more than a lot of the other FFs, but it probably won't be good for people who value the latter points.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Paris in Lightning Returns....

I want to find her...

I kind of see 13 and 15 as opposites in a way. They succeed in the areas the other fails at. (Excluding OST which is kind of a taste thing).

13 is really story focused and has a very tactical and pretty deep combat system, but it opens up really slowly, all the environs are compact and limiting.

15 isn't story focused, isn't too tactical or deep but you get full access instantly (just about, armiger is a little later) but you can go around and do whatever you want when you want to in the world.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 23, 2017

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Thanks for the timely reward, SE! :thumbsup:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

IcePhoenix posted:

Don't make the same mistake I did and make sure you know that all spells can be single target or all target.

Except Quina :v:

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Ventana posted:

Besides the point already brought up that FF13 balances around that already, you already have several points before Chapter 9 where you control 3 character parties (end of Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 7). You could say your point is that the game gets hindered with Sahz/Vanille segments, which is a bit more fair. But even that is only half the time of what people call "game is tutorial before pulse" that I'm arguing against here when I brought up the FF4 comparison to when you get 3-member-parties in 13.

They remain fairly distinct, even at the point where you have finished the game and maxed out all roles for every character at level 5.

Vanille never gets Haste. Fang never gets Poison. Sazh's Blitz is absurdly better than everyone elses for the whole game. You will never use Hope as leader because he runs slower than everyone else for some weird reason and he will forever suck as a Saboteur.

There are narrative reasons for pairing Sazh and Vanille but it also forces you to learn a different way to fight compared to Lightning/Hope, at least if you want to 5 star everything.

Hope has god tier magic stats and Lightning has fast animations. She starts to become a really good Ravager around the time Fang joins. Fang takes over as primary Commando.

Sazh has low stats and slow animations. Vanille has lower magic than Hope but gets great debuffs early. So the combo forces you to compensate for that with Bravery/Deprotect, Faith/Deshell, Haste/Slow, Imperil and the En spells.

Or you know, you could just play it like Lightning/Hope except it will be worse in every conceivable way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cleretic posted:

Yes.

It's a great fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I seem to recall thinking that, outside of death spam, Lightning/Hope/Fang was essentially a master combo for defeating turtles legitimately because it covers all bases and gives the highest damage output. This was true for Vercingetorix too. I'm probably wrong though and there's a bunch of really good options.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I base my final fantasy parties 100% on which characters are the coolest (which in XIII means Lightning/Fang/Sazh)

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
There are lots of ways to beat turtles and super turtles. The only real constant is probably Fang because she has Highwind for one shotting the legs, her strength stat is insanely higher than everyone elses and when you max out crystarium, she gets good spells/abilities in her secondary roles, especially SYN and RAV. She gets Haste, Bravera and Faithra plus all of the elemental strikes.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 23, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

And she's very cool and pretty and Australian. Fang owns.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wasn't Sazh supposed to be pretty good for turtle killing because of the glitch of his Blitz hitting multiple times, combined with the big hitboxes?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes.

It's a great fight.

Did they reuse him? I remember him being a 5 man dungeon boss a few years back, but haven't touched 14 since third coil of Bahamut.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I don't think thats a glitch. His Blitz is legit insane. Everyone else hits once at 100% damage using Blitz. Sazh I think hits 6 times at 60% damage per hit? He strafes it left to right so if the monster has a tiny hitbox, its decent if can hit a bunch of dudes close together. Its straight up baller against anything with a huge hitbox because all of the shots connect and he just annihilates them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Did they reuse him? I remember him being a 5 man dungeon boss a few years back, but haven't touched 14 since third coil of Bahamut.

Yes, he's the main antagonist of the Heavensward 24 man raid, which is what that screen shot you quoted is from. Fun fight.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Please stop making me want to play FF XIV again

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Please stop making me want to play FF XIV again

There's hardly a better time to go back, honestly. Get HW's stuff cleared for Stormblood and there's a bunch of content in the 3.x series now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I base my final fantasy parties 100% on which characters are the coolest (which in XIII means Lightning/Fang/Sazh)

same, to all points of this post

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Are tales of Zestiria and Symphonia any good? They're on sale on Steam right now.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Symphonia is good, though don't expect much in the graphics department. Story is pretty cheesy, too. It's still fun to play, I think. I did a lot of NG+ runs when I had it on GCN.

I wouldn't touch Zestiria with a ten-foot pole, though. I got the platinum trophy and it was incredibly miserable doing so. Don't ask me why I kept playing. The story is obtuse at best and the battle system requires immense grinding in order to craft gear that will make you competitive since you don't get much in stats for leveling up. That is, if you can make heads or tails of the crafting system in the first place to know what skills will benefit you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Are tales of Zestiria and Symphonia any good? They're on sale on Steam right now.

symphonia was one of my favorite jrpg's as a kid and i beat it like 3 times, i have no clue if it stands the test of being an adult

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
never did beat that boss in the book tho...maybe it's time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Be warned the PC port of Symphonia is pretty bad and takes effort to make it not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

Zanarkand is Samarkand.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Zanarkand is Samarkand.

They fuddled the spelling a bit at least, but that's still pretty cool

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sakurazuka posted:

Be warned the PC port of Symphonia is pretty bad and takes effort to make it not.

They patched it and it runs completely fine now. I bought it at launched and immediately uninstalled it after seeing how poo poo it was and recently heard they had patched it and played through the whole thing last month. There's still a handful of spelling errors but other than that it's the same as the old console releases.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think that's universal, because as I mentioned in whatever thread it was, even when I tried the Symphonia PC release recently it stuttered to poo poo on the title screen and kept crashing even with the TSFix fanpatch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Don't loving play Zestiria, I made that mistake so you don't have to

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have a hard time believing anyone could have an opinion on a Tales game that did not extend to every game in the series. They all have the same story, characters, and 95% same gameplay.

And that's coming from a person who has played them all (and can barely tell them apart at this point).

E: Here's my review of the every Tales game: it has a lot of character, the combat system is frenzied and the new stuff they do with it is just OK, the story starts off pretty strong but get sidetracked in the back 1/4, there's too much backtracking, and the crafting/equipment system is too confusing; if you are playing with a partner or a group of people, it takes entirely too long to get a full party. 7/10

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huxley posted:

I have a hard time believing anyone could have an opinion on a Tales game that did not extend to every game in the series. They all have the same story, characters, and 95% same gameplay.

And that's coming from a person who has played them all (and can barely tell them apart at this point).

... They don't? Like at all? They actually have extremely significantly different types of gameplay, like Graces doesn't play anything like Xillia except both having action-RPG systems and the characters are pretty goddamn different. Like a major problem people have with Tales of Zesteria vs Tales of Berseria is that the characterization and worldbuilding is completely different between the two despite being literally set in the same world.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

... They don't? Like at all? They actually have extremely significantly different types of gameplay, like Graces doesn't play anything like Xillia except both having action-RPG systems

easiest bait in the world

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

... They don't? Like at all? They actually have extremely significantly different types of gameplay, like Graces doesn't play anything like Xillia except both having action-RPG systems and the characters are pretty goddamn different. Like a major problem people have with Tales of Zesteria vs Tales of Berseria is that the characterization and worldbuilding is completely different between the two despite being literally set in the same world.

It's not really a criticism of Tales that they all play so much alike, it's that the differences are all in the nuances. Beseria didn't have the true "face your enemy lock on" vs R2 or whatever to free run, but in the end you just run around a battle arena and combo off in all the 3D games.

And for characters, there's always a Laphicet, there's always an Elenor, there's always a Magilou. The genders and party roles change, but they definitely have their stock cast.

Obviously I'm fine with it, I've played them all at this point. The series just has a lot more in common with Assassin's Creed than it does Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huxley posted:

It's not really a criticism of Tales that they all play so much alike, it's that the differences are all in the nuances. Beseria didn't have the true "face your enemy lock on" vs R2 or whatever to free run, but in the end you just run around a battle arena and combo off in all the 3D games.

And for characters, there's always a Laphicet, there's always an Elenor, there's always a Magilou. The genders and party roles change, but they definitely have their stock cast.

Obviously I'm fine with it, I've played them all at this point. The series just has a lot more in common with Assassin's Creed than it does Final Fantasy.

That's a pretty disingenuous argument. It's like saying every Final Fantasy is the same game because you hit enemies with a sword and elemental spells until their HP runs out.

Likewise, that argument doesn't actually make sense specifically when you're talking about Berseria, a game that was explicitly a response to criticisms of Zesteria and whose cast specifically seeks to avoid the problems Zesteria had. Like who is the Laphicet of Zesteria? Or saying that Velvet and Sorey are just the same character with their gender swapped is pretty laughable.

Like, yeah, they have similar cast members because at the end of the day, especially if you're a prolific JRPG franchise, you're going to hit similar archetypes, but aside from the near-omnipresent presence of a traitor in the party they're not really using the same stock archetype each time. If they were you wouldn't see such a near-universal difference in opinion between Zesteria and Berseria's casts.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 23, 2017