Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
monster raving looney party said parliament should be on wheels and move around the country.

it's a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Let's call him English until he has a breakdown.

kingturnip posted:

I remember there was some research published last year that showed that white parents are far more likely to send their children to 'white schools' than minority ethnic parents are to send their children to 'non-white schools'.
I assume we're talking about families who are rich enough to move around to find 'good schools'?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I have never put a lot of stock on what the bookies say about elections and recently they have been particularly crap as participation in political betting has increased. I have seen plenty of folk use local data to take them to the cleaners. However in this case I think they're right, everything coming out of the Copeland campaign seems to suggest Labour are on a loser. If they hold it will be skin of the teeth stuff.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I assume we're talking about families who are rich enough to move around to find 'good schools'?

No, just densely-populated areas, I think. But ones where there are, for example, Catholic faith schools that can be selective for ~50% (I think the Govt is raising it to 80%) of the school roll. Go to church a few times, get the form signed, say goodbye to brown people.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
ironically there are probably more non-white catholics than white catholics

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I knew more Goan Catholics than European ones when I was at school. At least ones who cared enough to identify as Catholic.

Maybe the white ones all got sent to Catholic schools.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

JFairfax posted:

monster raving looney party said parliament should be on wheels and move around the country.

it's a good idea

reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lozEUcjWByo

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

JFairfax posted:

ironically there are probably more non-white catholics than white catholics

have you actually ever met a catholic in real life

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

I remember there was some research published last year that showed that white parents are far more likely to send their children to 'white schools' than minority ethnic parents are to send their children to 'non-white schools'.
Which is just simple racism, covered up by some mealy-mouthed "Oh, we want them to be able to make friends who share their interests" as if every loving 4 year old in the country doesn't get sat down in front of Peppa Pig for 5 hours each week.
Your children grow up knowing gently caress-all about the children who live next door and get to do it all over again with the next generation.

Did they control for the greater availability of de-facto white schools in places with lots of white people, and economic factors as I assume posh oval office white boy school is expensive.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

That Copeland result would be a disaster for labour.

Agreed

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

have you actually ever met a catholic in real life

I went to a catholic school for a couple of years.

I was being a little disingenuous with my comment, in the UK catholics are overwhelmingly likely to be white, but globally top 3 catholic countries are:

Brazil, 125million catholics
Mexico, 98 m
Phillipenes 81m

with 135m catholics in Africa and a total of 299m in South America and 120m in Asia.

Only 285m catholics in Europe and a lot of those North America will be non-white also.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ah but you see those are the good forrins because they know their place and love the little baby Jesus

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I quite liked my time at the tiny catholic primary school, there were a total of 9 of us in my year and they were really good on maths and science and the jesus stuff wasn't laid on too thick, and we had a little field we could play football in

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The Catholic school I went to for some lessons had a surprising number of non Catholic but religious students. Clearly some/wrong God is better than no God at all

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don't fall for pissflaps's's transparent expectation raising pls

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

I heard somewhere the other day that something like two thirds of prevent referrals are for far-right stuff.

Haha you wish. In our recent training they told us its mostly Islamic stuff.

I did get in a good line about the differing media treatment of Lee rigbys killer and Jo cox's tho

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Expecting labour to win the two by-elections in opposition is 'expectation raising'? What?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Verizian posted:

I'm in hospital after having back surgery this morning and it's a loving disgrace. They're rationing mushroom soup to the old guys and I've been waiting since 2pm to see a doctor about the meds the prescribed but just been told there's no guarantee the on call will show up when he's called.

In short, gently caress the Tories and their cuts.

On the other hand the staff are miracle workers and the place is a lot cleaner than a decade ago. What's the best way to tell them thanks?

I'm going through fairly aggressive (cut everything, nuke everything) cancer treatment at the moment and my conclusion is that the medical staff are amazing. Everything non-medical in the NHS is a shitshow.

Also why the gently caress do I get asked to rate my hospital as if it was a loving restaurant or theme park?

Also the food is poo poo, but that just reminds me of school 20-something years ago so kind of nostalgic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The liver and onions were quite nice last time I had them.

I guess, assuming you like liver and onions.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Namtab posted:

Haha you wish. In our recent training they told us its mostly Islamic stuff.

I did get in a good line about the differing media treatment of Lee rigbys killer and Jo cox's tho

If the same % of violent islamic terrorists existed as the public believed we'd probably have less poo poo MPs

PST posted:

I'm going through fairly aggressive (cut everything, nuke everything) cancer treatment at the moment and my conclusion is that the medical staff are amazing. Everything non-medical in the NHS is a shitshow.

Also why the gently caress do I get asked to rate my hospital as if it was a loving restaurant or theme park?

Also the food is poo poo, but that just reminds me of school 20-something years ago so kind of nostalgic.

it's so when you don't fill the form it's used as an excuse to gut things further

don't feel bad, they'll gut them anyway, but they get to make speeches and feel statesmanlike while pushing a red button labelled "Kill the poor"

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 23, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On the 'white schools' thing, aren't working class white boys still the worst performers in education other than travellers? Does that make the 'white' schools perform worse? That seems to be the case with school rankings within Leicester, but most of those are catchment area schools and not ones that parents get to select.

Are there any studies about how more segregated school environments affect students?

(I was always under the impression that the vast majority of kids just went to whatever school they were in the catchment area for, but all the academy/magnet school poo poo is making that weirder.)

PST posted:

Because we're all 'service users' now.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

On the 'white schools' thing, aren't working class white boys still the worst performers in education other than travellers? Does that make the 'white' schools perform worse? That seems to be the case with school rankings within Leicester, but most of those are catchment area schools and not ones that parents get to select.

Are there any studies about how more segregated school environments affect students?

Not exactly what you want but this might be of interest:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/399005/SFR06_2015_Text.pdf

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Pissflaps' posting style often irritate me as much as the next person (apart from the puns, the puns are always solid), but sometimes it doesn't really matter if he's being disengenuous or not if it contains or leads to a vaguely interesting point. And the point that the opposition would be expected to retain a seat in a byelection, but that there's a very good chance they won't, at least according to the betting markets, is interesting (if depressing).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
All goons, join us in #ukgoons on synirc for Question Time BY-ELECTION MADNESS!!! Featuring these shits https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5SXmUOXUAM5rqM.jpg:large

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Niric posted:

Pissflaps' posting style often irritate me as much as the next person (apart from the puns, the puns are always solid), but sometimes it doesn't really matter if he's being disengenuous or not if it contains or leads to a vaguely interesting point. And the point that the opposition would be expected to retain a seat in a byelection, but that there's a very good chance they won't, at least according to the betting markets, is interesting (if depressing).

Literally everyone politically motivated enough to read a politics thread already knows this though, so it becomes a little less interesting to see it posted as a hot take.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
It is interesting and if true would be quite bad, but I don't know how much I'd expect bettors to really know anything more than any other layperson.

Usually betting agencies can be a nice way to quickly understand how people are digesting a combination of polling information and expert opinion, but because there haven't been any polls in either by-election they're basically a reflection of exactly what the media say. Which could be right but I don't think there's much to be gained in this case from looking at bettors vs. just reading the headlines, which absent data, reflect almost exclusively journalists' gut feelings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thanks!

You just know some TaxPayers' Alliance bawbag read that and thought "hmm, look at that correlation between free school meals and poor academic achievement, clearly it's teaching them that they don't have to work for anything."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What's telling about Oakeshot there is it doesn't mention what paper she's with as, as the latest Eye will tell ya, she's been dumped from the Daily Mail after turning out to be poo poo.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Pissflaps, if you spent as much time and effort debating right-wing poo poo heads on places like Breitbart as you do pissing off Corbynites here, you could single-handedly save the world from this almost inevitable descent into brutality. I feel as though you owe, not only yourself and your family, but humanity as a whole, at least an attempt to use your gifts for the good of us all.

Basically, with great power comes great responsibility.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The gently caress.

https://twitter.com/KFC_UKI/status/834821051368472578

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
"Figgy poppleton rice" can shove her clean eating chicken burger up her arse.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Dimbleby mentioned his info says Stoke has stayed Labour. Carswell thinks that its stayed Labour as well.

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 23, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

Yeah but if he genuinely believes the 'Jeremy is electoral poison driving away all the voters oh god the polls' schtick then it wouldn't be even slightly surprising if there's an upset or close result at either election. There's all kinds of stuff going on (Brexit especially, needing an election because Labour's Tristram Hunt got bored with Stoke, the UKIP push, expected low turnout etc) that means it's not exactly the average election situation. If anything these are a test of how the mood and loyalties are shifting, because we're living in times of massive political and national upheaval

But pissflaps is more about going 'hey guys I think Labour will win these easily holy poo poo if that doesn't happen!!' so he can act incredulous about it tomorrow for a laugh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Eye posted:

Dimbleby mentioned his info says Stoke has stayed Labour.

This should be something we can take for granted. Copeland too. Labour should be comfortably holding both seats.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

"Figgy poppleton rice" can shove her clean eating chicken burger up her arse.

That's one of the benefits of clean eating

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Pissflaps posted:

This should be something we can take for granted. Copeland too. Labour should be comfortably holding both seats.

Of course they should be. But it does bite into the narrative of the kippers taking labour votes, especially in an area that voted brexit as strongly as Stoke. Could the three-line whip not actually have done that much damage?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
They're trolling you.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

quote:

Take your ice cubes out of the freezer. Tip - never store ice cubes in the fridge.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/834896408478121984

Sounds ominous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clean eating sounds like something Kellogg would have come up with.

• Locked thread