Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Phantasy Star Universe did a cool thing with their city hub, where they had character models filling the city so it looked super packed and populated, but they despawned when you got close to them, so they were like projections. Something like that could work, so when you look down a street you see crowds of people but don't take the performance hit for having so many models rendered in 3 space.

Here is an example of what I mean, starting at like 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=TPPrrsTOFKQ

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Since every game takes place mid-Dragon Break, every time someone fails to acknowledge your rank, its because you didn't receive that rank in the past they remember. They really want to give you that quest to kill a few rats because it's their destiny to give it. It's not their fault everything's happening out of order.

:perfect:

Edit: Makes me think of Undertale a bit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm a corporate lawyer so yeah I have a vague idea. It's terrible nonsense that nobody should care about unless they have to and should never, ever be brought into fan discussions of all things.

"Oh no I have to change my opinion about the continuity of this fictional world because of copyright law"

I really like the idea of surreptitiously sharing lore on the deep web, holding to personal beliefs about the Towers you can never voice, and trials that attempt to determine what you really think about CHIM.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Becoming emperor seems awesome until you realize that being Emperor in TES would mean a short conversation with some NPC and then literally nothing would be different other than you getting an extra bedroom for storage that's got a chest that might spawn like 500 gold a week.

And the NPCs of the world would still treat you like a stranger.

That's true but they can do it differently this time. Although, of course, they won't.

It should be like that high king of Skyrim mod. People genuflecting, guards obeying you, getting to build a castle in the manner of Tel Uvirith, maybe a special artifact weapon, a coronation ceremony where you become the new emperor, that sort of thing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Phantasy Star Universe did a cool thing with their city hub, where they had character models filling the city so it looked super packed and populated, but they despawned when you got close to them, so they were like projections. Something like that could work, so when you look down a street you see crowds of people but don't take the performance hit for having so many models rendered in 3 space.

Here is an example of what I mean, starting at like 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=TPPrrsTOFKQ

openmw is going to be so optimized you could probably just brute force it

and every NPC will be named and have a story and quests

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Speaking of openmw I do not remember ever hearing that it has a multiplayer mod now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Node posted:

Just going by google, Skyrim sold over 20m copies, and made them over 60m bucks.

Wait that math doesn't really make sense--I understand the ideas of profit and revenue, but it seems like Bethesda made a lot more than $60 million on a AAA giant like Skyrim, unless the median price was like $5/unit.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait that math doesn't really make sense--I understand the ideas of profit and revenue, but it seems like Bethesda made a lot more than $60 million on a AAA giant like Skyrim, unless the median price was like $5/unit.

How long has Skyrim been like 20 bux, or dropped to 15 for sales?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Speaking of openmw I do not remember ever hearing that it has a multiplayer mod now.

They fully sync all objects, including ones spawned with the console.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It might be minus development and marketing costs and the money retailers take from the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

How long has Skyrim been like 20 bux, or dropped to 15 for sales?
obviously a game like Skyrim has long legs but aren't the majority of sales for AAA games in the first few months or something?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Probably true. And yeah those numbers seem really loving off because 20mil copies at 60 each is like 1.2bil.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

obviously a game like Skyrim has long legs but aren't the majority of sales for AAA games in the first few months or something?

First week even but, this just in, making a thing is expensive. 60m sales of a $50 game does not equal $3000m in profit. A huge amount of that pays for the hundreds of people involved in making the game, the cost of printing and packaging, shipping it to the stores, marketing it, etc.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Right but if you theoretically charge 60 bux and sell 20mil copies, pulling 60mil of profit out of 1,200,000,000 seems hideously low. If that is an accurate number, no loving wonder nobody wants to spend real money on weird interesting games that might not go platinum or whatever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've been reading the last several pages and wow, I didn't know TES lore was such a crazy big deal. Where does one even begin? Is the wikia any good?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is the wikia any good?

No.

Wikia are never good.

Use TIL and UESP instead.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Right but if you theoretically charge 60 bux and sell 20mil copies, pulling 60mil of profit out of 1,200,000,000 seems hideously low. If that is an accurate number, no loving wonder nobody wants to spend real money on weird interesting games that might not go platinum or whatever.

Eh it's still 5% and a lot of the low-return costs would have been borne by retailers. If you assume something like 20-30 dollars going to zenimax per copy you get 10-15% ROI which isn't too bad.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Cat Mattress posted:

No.

Wikia are never good.

Use TIL and UESP instead.

Seconding this. I keep falling down rabbit holes pretty much every time I go there and before I know it, it's 2am and I'm reading about the complete political history of some random town in the middle of nowhere.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So does the Tamriel Rebuilt mod have a story and quests?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Some parts, yes. Not a huge amount, though. TR is big. I'll repeat that.

TR is an enormous project. Over a decade ago I was making fun of them on the Bethesda forums I think, saying they'll fizzle out in three months. But what I see now impresses me beyond words. I hope the project reaches v1.0 - the designs, landscapes, and fleshed out areas look fantastic. They have my full support.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Berke Negri posted:

ESO is probably closer to the weirdness of the lore than Oblivion and Skyrim were though. Like ESO has bosmer finally depicted as cannibals as they've long been described, Cyrodiilic Colovians riding around on giant wolves, and Orcs maintaining herds of weird wooly bug animals. Speaking of Colovians, there's a lot more talking about the difference between Colovians and Nibenese Imperials than you got in all of Oblivion.

But do the Colovians get awesome, ridiculous fur hats?

This is very important.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I know gently caress-all about deep TES lore but i think in general the idea of a canon isnt a respect for copyright law but having a means of determining which events are more important narratively, more likely to show up in future media, offering a safe bias for one set of events over another contradictory one. that kind of thing. Disney tossing the eu for star wars is a good idea and while those old ideas like jungle rome should be revisited if they ever decide to revisit cyrodiil maybe it's better if that old lore is taken as a loose guide and the actual lore and setting is developed to fit the scope of what they can do in the current release cycle of consoles and common pc hardware

But again maybe i wasnt following the discussion compeltely and should shut up.

I was doing a mission in Morrowind recently and i got ambushed by the dark brotherhood after resting in the middle of a dungeon. I was barely able to kill them but i did. The dark brotherhood armor now being many times better than what i had and way cooler looking, i go to a guard like the journal entry suggests and he goes GEE WELL THATS COOL. HEY WHY DONT YOU GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME AND GO TO THIS OMINOUS SOUNDING CITY IF YOU WANT TO DIEFILE A REPORT and that's pretty drat funny to me. It might be my favorite dark brotherhood intro hook

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

basic hitler posted:

I know gently caress-all about deep TES lore but i think in general the idea of a canon isnt a respect for copyright law but having a means of determining which events are more important narratively, more likely to show up in future media, offering a safe bias for one set of events over another contradictory one. that kind of thing. Disney tossing the eu for star wars is a good idea and while those old ideas like jungle rome should be revisited if they ever decide to revisit cyrodiil maybe it's better if that old lore is taken as a loose guide and the actual lore and setting is developed to fit the scope of what they can do in the current release cycle of consoles and common pc hardware

But again maybe i wasnt following the discussion compeltely and should shut up.

I was doing a mission in Morrowind recently and i got ambushed by the dark brotherhood after resting in the middle of a dungeon. I was barely able to kill them but i did. The dark brotherhood armor now being many times better than what i had and way cooler looking, i go to a guard like the journal entry suggests and he goes GEE WELL THATS COOL. HEY WHY DONT YOU GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME AND GO TO THIS OMINOUS SOUNDING CITY IF YOU WANT TO DIEFILE A REPORT and that's pretty drat funny to me. It might be my favorite dark brotherhood intro hook

there's mods to disable db attacks before a certain level because you can sell their gear for so much money and people feel that this breaks the game. i feel those people miss the point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Same with mods that nerf how much cash Creeper and the talking mudcrab have. Like what the gently caress are you doing?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I dont get that kind of mod. It means people know the game enough to see its breaking their immersion to sell DB gear early on but they can't just ignore it...

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

basic hitler posted:

I dont get that kind of mod. It means people know the game enough to see its breaking their immersion to sell DB gear early on but they can't just ignore it...

They're the same people who complain that the maps and alchemy books in Books of Vvardenfell are "game breaking" because they'd rather I make them not available until they're high enough level not to need them, rather than exert a little self-control and not buy them if they feel like knowing all an ingredient's alchemical properties before their skill is high enough to discern it is "cheating" somehow. :jerkbag:

Also the same people who mod out the fortify intelligence achemy effect because they can't not brew god potions if the option is available. Since I started modding, I can barely control the urge to open the console to "fix" things whenever something annoys me, but rather than complain about the console existing, I just roll with it and pretend my character knows what's up about CHIM. If becoming a god in MW is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 24, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I use a mod that delays DB attacks until you're more renowned, and I'm willing to defend that choice.

I won't say it's more realistic (who knows, maybe Helseth has a mole in the Blades), but I think it makes at least as much fictional sense, and that it's a slightly better design: it's not fun to play a character who isn't able to defeat or evade the attacks, and they're really just a clever way to lead you to content which is balanced for higher levels anyway.

I don't see this as being the same as mods that that "fix" Creeper or alchemy or move the Sword of White Woe or bullshit like that.

e:

Stuporstar posted:

If becoming a god in MW is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
:yeah:

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Basically, the eastern third (TR_Mainland) has questlines, Misc quests and some faction quests. Some more quests are currently being developed, including some small questlines.
The rest of it (TR_Preview) is in varying states of completion, so there are some misc quests.

One of our leads is making a mod to unite the mainland factions with the Vvardenfell ones, since that's where TR will lead eventually (seamless integration). http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44656/ won't touch House Telvanni for the immediate to medium future, though.

As far as story is concerned, that needs a longer reply than I have time right now. Will come back to it later. The short answer is: yes, TR will have a storyline and a main quest of sorts.

quote:

TR is an enormous project. Over a decade ago I was making fun of them on the Bethesda forums I think, saying they'll fizzle out in three months. But what I see now impresses me beyond words. I hope the project reaches v1.0 - the designs, landscapes, and fleshed out areas look fantastic. They have my full support.
Same, really. I thought it was vaporware and then there suddenly was Map 1.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

I use a mod that delays DB attacks until you're more renowned, and I'm willing to defend that choice.

I won't say it's more realistic (who knows, maybe Helseth has a mole in the Blades), but I think it makes at least as much fictional sense, and that it's a slightly better design: it's not fun to play a character who isn't able to defeat or evade the attacks, and they're really just a clever way to lead you to content which is balanced for higher levels anyway.

I don't see this as being the same as mods that that "fix" Creeper or alchemy or move the Sword of White Woe or bullshit like that.

Yeah, I'm down with the delayed DB attack mods for the "it makes more sense that way" reason. There's no point throwing Tribunal content at the player until later in the game (though the first time I loaded it, I refused to talk the guard and hoarded their armor from multiple attacks). Bethesda puts no thought into timing expansion content, which is why I had to load a delayed vampire attack mod in Skyrim, because walking into the first town at level 2 only to have a random master vampire slaughter everyone while all you can do is run like hell is not actually all that fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

They're the same people who complain that the maps and alchemy books in Books of Vvardenfell are "game breaking" because they'd rather I make them not available until they're high enough level not to need them, rather than exert a little self-control and not buy them if they feel like knowing all an ingredient's alchemical properties before their skill is high enough to discern it is "cheating" somehow. :jerkbag:

Also the same people who mod out the fortify intelligence achemy effect because they can't not brew god potions if the option is available. Since I started modding, I can barely control the urge to open the console to "fix" things whenever something annoys me, but rather than complain about the console existing, I just roll with it and pretend my character knows what's up about CHIM. If becoming a god in MW is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Ah, I see we're talking about Morrowind Rebirth again

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ah, I see we're talking about Morrowind Rebirth again

Nah I'd rather blame BTB

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stuporstar posted:

Yeah, I'm down with the delayed DB attack mods for the "it makes more sense that way" reason. There's no point throwing Tribunal content at the player until later in the game (though the first time I loaded it, I refused to talk the guard and hoarded their armor from multiple attacks). Bethesda puts no thought into timing expansion content, which is why I had to load a delayed vampire attack mod in Skyrim, because walking into the first town at level 2 only to have a random master vampire slaughter everyone while all you can do is run like hell is not actually all that fun.

I dunno, part of the fun for me is what a poo poo show the games are out of the box. I'd enjoy seeing a town get wiped out because Bethesda made bad choices about vampires.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

I dunno, part of the fun for me is what a poo poo show the games are out of the box. I'd enjoy seeing a town get wiped out because Bethesda made bad choices about vampires.

I will admit, it made for an interesting experience, especially since it was the first time playing with the expansions loaded and I had no clue wtf. It turned the thing into a horror game, kinda like the first time I was attacked by a werewolf in Bloodmoon, only it was bugged and instead looked like a dude with no arms and legs and his head on backwards. Being attacked by a jabbering insane amputee with a broken neck is way freakier than a werewolf.

Atrayonis posted:

Basically, the eastern third (TR_Mainland) has questlines, Misc quests and some faction quests. Some more quests are currently being developed, including some small questlines.
The rest of it (TR_Preview) is in varying states of completion, so there are some misc quests.

This reminds me, I asked the previous TR team and they said go for it, but do you guys have plans for that empty island in the Boethia region that only has Pamashibabua Caverns under it? I thought it would be a great place for a player tower--if it remains empty.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 24, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea about this.

Yeah I remember during the game's development they released a bunch of press about how proud they were of their fancy terrain generating algorithm. They talked non-stop about how they even went to some university to study soil erosion and how it affects landscape and all that.

Then the game came out and the world was small enough that if you went to the right spot, you could place like 7 of the nine cities in the game in a single screenshot. They would have been far better off hand crafting the world like they did in Morrowind I think. That would have been more of a PITA though, so they didn't.

But, having to create every inch of Morrowind manually was probably exactly why so much of the game world was as interesting as it was. The world designers probably got bored and started adding cool poo poo everywhere just because it was fun and more interesting than "add small hill here, add slightly bigger hill there" over however many years of game development there was.

I could see how a game 10 times as large as Oblivion could benefit from procedural generation as a starting point to world design, but Oblivion seems like it would've been way better off being either 100% hand-crafted or procedurally generated to be way, way larger.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 25, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

basic hitler posted:

Eh, there's some validity to "the dark brotherhood attacking you early is kind of game breaking" but it's so stupidly easy to get millions of gold in the game anyway it's like...who cares?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, there's some validity to "the dark brotherhood attacking you early is kind of game breaking" but it's so stupidly easy to get millions of gold in the game anyway it's like...who cares?

I got so sick of converting daedric weapons into gold, I started adding options in UL to trade them for cool Telvanni poo poo. One of them being the vault--in the next version, because I raised the of cost of building it. You now have to pay the guards an annual wage or they'll quit (and one of them will troll the gently caress out you on the way out), but all it costs is a daedric dagger. A dai-katana will pay for 12 years and give every guard in earshot a hard-on (not literally). You can also use their funds to buy them unique armor. You could also pay cash, but if you're drowning in daedric weapons, I figured they could be put to better use than overloading Creeper.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 25, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That is a really cool idea. More mods should give you things to do with the equipment you don't use besides selling it; it really is clutter past a certain point.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Doc Hawkins posted:

That is a really cool idea. More mods should give you things to do with the equipment you don't use besides selling it; it really is clutter past a certain point.

i agree, but also please no one say "it should have a dark souls style upgrade system". i will find you and i will tell all your friends how dumb you are.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

cis autodrag posted:

i agree, but also please no one say "it should have a dark souls style upgrade system". i will find you and i will tell all your friends how dumb you are.

I'll say it. And the joke is on you, I have no friends. Ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Node posted:

I'll say it. And the joke is on you, I have no friends. Ha ha

you don't even know how hosed you are. i am going to make you make so many friends, and you won't even know i was doing it. you'll get so close with them, share secrets, laughs, memories. you'll get old but never grow apart, and one day when you're in the hospital, enjoying your last moments with your best friend, only then will i remove my mask and whisper in your ear "you're so dumb"