Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Clean eating sounds like something Kellogg would have come up with.
Also dirty eating, where you eat through the butt.

e: Well then. 1927 - The UK changes its name to reflect most of Ireland leaving. Most of Saudi Arabia leaves too, but no name change.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

What could this even mean?

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Nu Labour started PFI and basically parachuted disinterested posh people into places like Stoke and took them for granted. I blame 'the moderates' for Labours reputation.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

What could this even mean?

Corbyn mumbling a bit, Abbott sounding out of breath and a couple of lovely tweets I expect.

Pantsuit posted:

Nu Labour started PFI and basically parachuted disinterested posh people into places like Stoke and took them for granted. I blame 'the moderates' for Labours reputation.

Yeah if Labour does lose either seat there's no way Team Corbyn will take responsibility, and people like you won't expect him to.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Dimbleby also just said that it's looking like Copeland staying Labour as well. Hurrahs all round!

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It's inconceivable that the opposition could lose a by election to the government. It hasn't happened for something like forty years.

Corbyn isn't that toxic, is he?

This is debatable. You're thinking of the Mitcham and Morden by-election in 1982 (so 35 years). But the sitting MP actually stood again - as an SDP candidate - so while the seat did switch from Labour to Conservative you could argue that the SDP, rather than the main opposition party (Labour), were the ones defending that seat.

Maybe that's a stretch, but if you do see it this way then it's more than 40 years since the main opposition party managed to lose a seat it was defending in a by-election. You have to go back to the 1880s or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paxman posted:

You have to go back to the 1880s or something.
I think that's Theresa May's plan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Eye posted:

Dimbleby also just said that it's looking like Copeland staying Labour as well. Hurrahs all round!

I'd not get carried away yet. Mind Brexit night when Nigel Farage looked loving miserable and was talking about how it was not looking good for Leave?

It'd be positive if they manage to hold both seats but let's wait and see

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Carswell moaning that UKIP is never given 'the benefit of the doubt'.

Why would you get the benefit of the doubt when very often you're shown to be lying?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

It'd be positive if they manage to hold both seats but let's wait and see

Labour holding both seats would be neutral not positive.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Labour holding both seats would be neutral not positive.

You mean that your narrative includes no possible positive outcome for Labour? There's a shock.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

You mean that your narrative includes no possible positive outcome for Labour? There's a shock.

Not when they're the opposition contesting by-elections for two seats they already hold, no.

I suppose a positive could be if they had persuaded more people to vote Labour in one or both seats - that might provide some evidence (finally) that Corbyn can engage with people who don't normally vote.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm sure no matter what, we'll all be saying This is bad for Corbyn.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

Increasing their majority would be a positive. Anything less would not look great for a party hoping to get into government in 3 years time.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah if Labour does lose either seat there's no way Team Corbyn will take responsibility, and people like you won't expect him to.

Lol m8, many people blame Labour for beginning the privatisation of the NHS via PFI and see Labour as ignoring and abandoning them. Of course this os wrong, but this is how people feel thanks to the actions of Nu Labour. They shoulder the blame.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Not when they're the opposition contesting by-elections for two seats they already hold, no.

I suppose a positive could be if they had persuaded more people to vote Labour in one or both seats - that might provide some evidence (finally) that Corbyn can engage with people who don't normally vote.

Yes, Labour increasing their majorities would be a good outcome for them. See? It's not difficult.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pantsuit posted:

Lol m8, many people blame Labour for beginning the privatisation of the NHS via PFI and see Labour as ignoring and abandoning them. Of course this os wrong, but this is how people feel thanks to the actions of Nu Labour. They shoulder the blame.

Yes this is what I said. People like you won't expect the labour leadership to bear any responsibility. This is why Labour is hosed.

jabby posted:

Yes, Labour increasing their majorities would be a good outcome for them. See? It's not difficult.

No, more nuanced than that. I was told that Corbyn will appeal to people who don't vote Labour. I want to see more people voting for labour, not labour merely increasing their share with the same voters due to suppression of turnout.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jabby posted:

Labour winning another by-election despite the incredibly negative polling is a positive for the country because it means not losing Labour MPs at a time we need a strong opposition.

It's also a positive for Labour because it hints that things aren't quite as apocalyptically bad as the polling indicates. It's also positive because it likely postpones another fruitless leadership challenge that will just further divide the party, at a time we need a strong opposition. It might also make other MPs considering resigning to hurt the leadership and the party reconsider. Which is important because... We need a strong opposition!

How positive it is depends on the majority. But retaining the seats while losing Hunt and Reed is a net gain. But this is all hypothetical and I'm preparing for the worst.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Private Eye posted:

Good news if true but I'm not sure how he could know, big constituency, polls close at 10pm, they can't have counted too much by now. Maybe Labour's heartlands have turned out really well and that's the basis.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Increasing their majority would be a positive. Anything less would not look great for a party hoping to get into government in 3 years time.

I don't think there's any illusions of Labour winning in 2020. Which is a disaster for sure. But even with the PM being hopeless, Brexit coming along and probably rocking the economy, there remains a hugely unpopular leadership who has failed in being aggressive enough to capitalise on the populist mood, and a total lack of replacements you can feel confident in doing all that better, especially combined with the boundary reform.

It's miserable but I just can't see Labour doing better than reducing the majority, maybe a minority government or another coalition.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If nothing changes the Tories will come out of the next election with a massively increased majority.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think there's any illusions of Labour winning in 2020. Which is a disaster for sure. But even with the PM being hopeless, Brexit coming along and probably rocking the economy, there remains a hugely unpopular leadership who has failed in being aggressive enough to capitalise on the populist mood, and a total lack of replacements you can feel confident in doing all that better, especially combined with the boundary reform.

It's miserable but I just can't see Labour doing better than reducing the majority, maybe a minority government or another coalition.

Elections can lead to funny things, Trump was nowhere at this stage for example (albeit a different system) and everyone went mad for Nick Clegg for two weeks because he could talk in public. I don't disagree with you though, they need to sort themselves out.

Pissflaps posted:

If nothing changes the Tories will come out of the next election with a massively increased majority.

This is true.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

And in my last Dimbley said post. He just said that you can't abolish private schools because it's against a UN convention? Does anyone know about this?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Private Eye posted:

And in my last Dimbley said post. He just said that you can't abolish private schools because it's against a UN convention? Does anyone know about this?

Considering the USSR was a founding member of the UN I'd be surprised.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What sort of time are we expecting results? Saw 3am on twitter.

PST posted:

I'm going through fairly aggressive (cut everything, nuke everything) cancer treatment at the moment and my conclusion is that the medical staff are amazing. Everything non-medical in the NHS is a shitshow.
gently caress. Sorry to hear this man. Hope you have plenty of support.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Private Eye posted:

Finland doesn't have private schools. I don't see why you couldn't abolish private schools unless closing those schools will mean there is no education provision for the people in those schools at that time, which would be against UN conventions on the right to education.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The opening of This Week makes me want to self-harm. What an appalling show.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed it. Great fun.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Considering the USSR was a founding member of the UN I'd be surprised.

jBrereton posted:

Finland doesn't have private schools. I don't see why you couldn't abolish private schools unless closing those schools will mean there is no education provision for the people in those schools at that time, which would be against UN conventions on the right to education.

His exact words were:

"You know you can't abolish private schools. It's against the United Nations"

At 23:39

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 24, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I really enjoyed it. Great fun.

Perhaps the most monstrous thing you've ever said.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Private Eye posted:

Gonna say it's a reference to Article 13.3 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR)

quote:

The States Parties to the present Covenant undertake to have respect for the liberty of parents and, when applicable, legal guardians to choose for their children schools, other than those established by the public authorities, which conform to such minimum educational standards as may be laid down or approved by the State and to ensure the religious and moral education of their children in conformity with their own convictions.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Paxman posted:

Maybe that's a stretch, but if you do see it this way then it's more than 40 years since the main opposition party managed to lose a seat it was defending in a by-election. You have to go back to the 1880s or something.

Respect won Bradford West in 2012. The SDP and SNP won seats from Labour in the 1980s. Upsets happen in by-elections when you have more than one opposition party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Gonna say it's a reference to Article 13.3 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR)

Well I think the fairly obvious solution is to come up with some really fun minimum standards.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oh dear me posted:

Respect won Bradford West in 2012. The SDP and SNP won seats from Labour in the 1980s. Upsets happen in by-elections when you have more than one opposition party.

We were talking about the opposition losing a seat to the government.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/834916757081055232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Looks like Copeland's gone Tory.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

It's just spin. Labour can't have lost it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Paxman posted:

As per the Guardian live blog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Govan_by-election,_1988

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

It's just spin. Labour can't have lost it.

We shall see Pissflaps, we shall see

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Oh never mind, lost to the government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Labour weren't the governing party in 1988.

• Locked thread