Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Independence refers to correlation, or rather, the lack thereof. Ford + GM are not independent bets. Ford + Chiquita are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kk that's more or less what I figured I was just having trouble with my words this fine Wednesday :)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Moridin920 posted:

Do independent bets in this context mean bets made with independent strategies/reasons for making the bet? As in, if I think (purely for example) solar as an industry will improve and buy shares in 5-6 different solar companies based on that thesis, that's still just 1 independent bet - or am I misreading it?

Yup, pretty much.

Incidentally, this is why professionals usually hedge their market exposure. About half of the day-to-day variance of a stock is due to the market as a whole going up or down, and that variance is shared among all stocks. That dramatically lowers your breadth. The solution is to take an opposite position in an S&P500 futures (or ETFs), which cancels out the market movement, leaving the net returns on your stocks independent.

(The downside to this is that the S&P500 tends to go up by 10%/year all on it's own. If you're market-neutral, then you obviously don't have that benefit)

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Time posted:

Also, with current case law, insider trading in the US is a lot more loosely defined than it used to be. Shadier funds will have a "social component" to the interview stage now where you log into LinkedIn for your interviewer and they cull your connections to be scored on a sliding scale

Like, has this happened to you? I've never heard of this from anyone I know, but I'm not exactly in the same area.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ohgodwhat posted:

Like, has this happened to you? I've never heard of this from anyone I know, but I'm not exactly in the same area.

It did not happen to me, but I can name 5 or 6 places where I know for a fact it did happen. Current rulings mean Steve cohen wouldn't have had to plead out. It's a hosed up ruling

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

coffeetable posted:

Quotin my own advice
Please treat trading with at least as much trepidation as you would any other sort of gambling against professionals. If you'd never played poker before, you wouldn't waltz up to a poker tournament and put $1k on the table. Similarly, don't start trading until you've had at least a few months working with simulated money.

This second option fits, as it is more about learning for me. Is investopedia a good simulator compared to marketwatch in OP?
I figure I'll do some more reading and such as I have no read anything you have listen, and grow some of my discretionary budget in an Index.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Why so many picks? Any specific sectors? Do you have any knowledge that would give you a slight edge?

My sector of knowledge is in healthcare and information security (I do HIPPA compliance, so a mix of IT, auditing, and HR), and I would do most of my picks from those.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Covered half my TSLA short at 260.89.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY

ryanbruce posted:

FSLR earnings come out and they beat expectations, stock goes up 1.5% AH. Wake up in the morning, it's down 5%.

One of these days I'll be in the green again.

And subsequently dropped for almost a 9% loss by end of the day yesterday. And today is up almost 10%. :confuoot:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Time for me to buy some additional NVDA.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox posted:

Covered half my TSLA short at 260.89.

And out of the rest at 257.19. Turned into a decent little trade.

I still think bearish is the way to be on this, but this is the kind of position you'd have to babysit and I don't really want to do that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I swapped NVDA for AAPL on Friday.

AAPL is flat today and NVDA is up >3%.

I'm really good at this stock trading thing. :downs:
I really AM good lucky at this stock trading thing :smug:

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

some_weird_kid posted:

And subsequently dropped for almost a 9% loss by end of the day yesterday. And today is up almost 10%. :confuoot:

I'm still down 11% so it's welcome to go up for a while longer, kthx

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Hey all you FSLR/solar guys: are you still pessimistic future of solar energy, say in the next 6 months to a year?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I'm hopeful that Trump doesn't kill solar but with shenanigans like what Wyoming is doing, it's still on rocky ground.

PS: Things you shouldn't do: Look back at old trades and regret opportunities.

I bought my first AMZN at $309 and sold at 691 after the drop back in June. Never bought back in because I'm an idiot :sad:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Hey all you FSLR/solar guys: are you still pessimistic future of solar energy, say in the next 6 months to a year?

Demand is good, pricing is bad for the panels. Someone is going to have to go belly up or demand is going to need to explode. I don't see this happening in under a year. I am talking utility sized installs not roof top. Even I am not crazy enough to invest in rooftop solar. I have some standards.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

sa told me to invest in halberd futures weeks ago and i didnt listen

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Solar probably would have imploded last year if the tax credit wasn't extended. The problem is still pricing. A new natural gas plant or equivalent generating capacity wind farm are nearly the same price. No non-heavily subsidized power company can justify the price increase to go to solar for a large rollout.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The day after Trump was elected, I didn't buy prison stocks.

In the 3 1/2 months since, I didn't buy prison stocks.

I sold FCX earlier this week and didn't know what to do with the cash, but I didn't buy prison stocks.

Then news came out this afternoon that the Trump DoJ is gonna grow private prisons, and I still could've bought in after hours, but I didn't buy prison stocks.

Maybe I'll buy some prison stocks tomorrow.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Sunday, Trump will announce all those convicted of drug related offenses at the federal level will face the death penalty, sending private prison stocks plummeting.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

zharmad posted:

Solar probably would have imploded last year if the tax credit wasn't extended. The problem is still pricing. A new natural gas plant or equivalent generating capacity wind farm are nearly the same price. No non-heavily subsidized power company can justify the price increase to go to solar for a large rollout.

Dude no, you have no idea what you are talking about whatsoever. I don't want to type a huge rebuttal out, just loving Google what you are talking about before you start talking.

Josh Lyman posted:

The day after Trump was elected, I didn't buy prison stocks.

In the 3 1/2 months since, I didn't buy prison stocks.

I sold FCX earlier this week and didn't know what to do with the cash, but I didn't buy prison stocks.

Then news came out this afternoon that the Trump DoJ is gonna grow private prisons, and I still could've bought in after hours, but I didn't buy prison stocks.

Maybe I'll buy some prison stocks tomorrow.

Those will be a really good short in about 3.5yrs. that is a horrific industry

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 24, 2017

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So uh

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/320902-white-house-hints-at-crackdown-on-recreational-marijuana

Weed stocks!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Short weed, long prisons. Reverse in 3 years. Is this the new chicken?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Into CXW, fully invested, :feelsgood:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Josh Lyman posted:

Into CXW, fully invested, :feelsgood:

I try not to let my moral hangups mess with my business too much but the long play on CCA isn't a trade I'd be comfortable with looking at myself in the mirror.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It would need to be a huge potential upswing with insider knowledge for me to even consider buying prison stocks. Its basically the modern equivalent of investing in the slave trade.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Time is a flat circle

http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/ibms-darkest-chapter-controversy-over-second-world-war/16394

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Jesus, someone put this poor woman on suicide watch:

quote:

"we were not able to overcome the secular changes in the industry related to shopping habits. These changes appear to have had a bigger impact on our store business than we had expected. We recognize we need to make dramatic changes in how we operate the business.” —Macy’s CFO Karen Hoguet

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The Macy's chart looks like a good predictor of major economic downturns.

I'm only half joking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hey, Venda's back!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey, Venda's back!

Yup. The ban was worth it to make the front page joke directly to Lowtax. Classic poo poo.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

God dangit Trumpster, weed is money! You love money!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Bought some VSLR @3.50 and some HASI @ 19.69

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 24, 2017

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
VUZI is starting to finally make a step or two towards legitimacy. Their main smart glasses product got FCC certified in January, which was the last hurdle before they could launch.

Today they're spiking up because Toshiba just announced they're commissioning Vuzix to develop a specialized version for them.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

greasyhands posted:

Bought some VSLR @3.50 and some HASI @ 19.69

Out of curiosity, what's the thought on VSLR? I admit I haven't looked at it since SUNE blew up.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

greasyhands posted:

Dude no, you have no idea what you are talking about whatsoever. I don't want to type a huge rebuttal out, just loving Google what you are talking about before you start talking.

Actually, wind is currently the second cheapest based on eia data from 2014, behind natural gas. Wind costs have reduced every year since 2014, with some sources pointing to a 25% drop in one year. I know you've argued the long game for solar, I'm just curios what you think is going to fundamentally change on both the business side and consumer side that will make solar the preferred option and put it ahead of other, cheaper to build generation techniques.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

zharmad posted:

Actually, wind is currently the second cheapest based on eia data from 2014, behind natural gas. Wind costs have reduced every year since 2014, with some sources pointing to a 25% drop in one year. I know you've argued the long game for solar, I'm just curios what you think is going to fundamentally change on both the business side and consumer side that will make solar the preferred option and put it ahead of other, cheaper to build generation techniques.

EIA data from 2014????? Are you serious? Do you have any idea what solar prices have done over the last 2 years? Solar is already coming in cheaper,unsubsidized, than both wind and nat gas. Solar is unstoppable at this point, the biggest problem is the panels are, for the most part just commodities(FSLR being the exception, and *maybe* SPWR's high efficiency panels) and the margins are going to be thin.

I havent read this article, Ive gotta run but I googled real quick (which you obviously havent done) https://qz.com/871907/2016-was-the-year-solar-panels-finally-became-cheaper-than-fossil-fuels-just-wait-for-2017/

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 25, 2017

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

What you linked shows that it's cheaper in 30 countries. It isn't saying its cheaper unsubsidized. Example: China is making a huge investment in solar, but that doesn't automatically translate into an unstoppable train. I'm not saying its not going to stop coming down in price or the market will completely dry up, but there isn't anything there that's convincing me that publicly traded solar companies are going to become breakaway successes where money should be invested over other opportunities.

As far as the eia source, the data relates to us solar companies which was published last month. Which directly relates to the topic at hand. The article you link deals heavily with carbon taxes as a factor of driving cost down, which is hardly solar standing on its own. I've googled plenty, but it's not on me to prove your point.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Non actual investment thoughts from an idiot: a lot of government policy goes into energy policy, and it has a big stench of weird ideology related to politics. The rational bet is solar energy, but you will probably lose money making that bet for a long time.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I've been long VSLR for a while and finally getting paid, but wonder why the stock is moving now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Investing in solar is kinda weird, anyways. The profit / revenue opportunity offered by solar is to the bottom line of utility companies, not top-line sales growth of panel manufacturers.

It's like looking at the early internet boom and then investing in cable manufacturers because "they'll need a lot of cable". Sure... except it's mostly low-margin commodity crap.

The real investment would have been with comcast / time warner, and if you were real sharp maybe you'd have seen what opportunities other companies could have with higher bandwidth and look into YouTube / Netflix.

FSLR has a technology lead due to their manufacturing process, but it's still looking in the wrong place if you want make money, imo. Agnostically, who does solar benefit? Anyone who wants shitloads of cheap power. Who dat?