Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

panda clue posted:

The length of time it is taking them to put out the first patch (or even provide a window for when it might be out) is a bad omen for the future of this game.

The game has been out for nine days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

They probably just want to be simultaneous on all platforms and it's taking them forever to get through microsoft/sony's screening process for a patch.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think it takes more than 9 days to get patch approval on consoles.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Perestroika posted:

The game has been out for nine days.

Correct. I'm probably just spoiled by actually good devs getting out daily patches after a major release until things are mostly running smooth, but I'm already sick of the bullshit I've been having to deal with though; I'm sure I'm not the only one. The population is just going to go down with every day that there is no new news.

Neltharak posted:

They probably just want to be simultaneous on all platforms and it's taking them forever to get through microsoft/sony's screening process for a patch.

It's so dumb when companies do this :negative:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ubisoft is a small company and this game is free you can't expect them to be able to provide high quality support.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Ubisoft is a small company and this game is free you can't expect them to be able to provide high quality support.

I'm glad I know you play PoE too so I can fully appreciate this comment.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Team modes are legitimately unplayable with people who are bad.

To be fair, that can apply to any team game.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Please tell me there is hope?
I play Valk.
Nothing but Valk.
I troll myself.

Was she ever good? Is this buff going to make her useful? I hope so. Or not. Then everyone will play her.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Team modes are legitimately unplayable with people who are bad. Playing dominion with a team who won't stick together while the enemies group up as 4 and kill us all is enough to make me stop playing the game for the rest of the day.

People who stick as 4 and run around on Dominion should probably lose more often than not. You get bonus points for sticking inside a zone after capping it so all you have to do is cap the points they aren't on. When they show up just run them around for a while to waste their time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Didn't they already put out a technical patch? We're just waiting on the first balance patch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Doltos posted:

People who stick as 4 and run around on Dominion should probably lose more often than not. You get bonus points for sticking inside a zone after capping it so all you have to do is cap the points they aren't on. When they show up just run them around for a while to waste their time.

You're right, but this doesn't solve the fundamental problem that Dominion sucks. It's the bad parts of a MOBA (ganking, control point babysitting) with none of the good parts of For Honor (the combat)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

I play Valk.
Nothing but Valk.
I troll myself.

Was she ever good? Is this buff going to make her useful? I hope so. Or not. Then everyone will play her.

She was pretty good in the first technical test, before her damage and range was nerfed. The buff looks to improve on her primary tools (dodge attack and shield crush) and some of the more glaring weaknesses (nothing links into anything that actually does appreciable damage).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're right, but this doesn't solve the fundamental problem that Dominion sucks. It's the bad parts of a MOBA (ganking, control point babysitting) with none of the good parts of For Honor (the combat)

Dominion was the mode where I legitimately had fun at first and now have this exact opinion.

The most fun I've had in this game has been brawls with friends. Occasionally also Elimination matches. Most Brawls and Duels are where I have the best time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

panda clue posted:

I'm glad I know you play PoE too so I can fully appreciate this comment.

GGG is special in that they actually seem to care (and have the freedom) to create a good game/experience. I don't necessarily agree with everything they do but they seem to honestly want to create a good product.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

panda clue posted:

Correct. I'm probably just spoiled by actually good devs getting out daily patches after a major release until things are mostly running smooth, but I'm already sick of the bullshit I've been having to deal with though; I'm sure I'm not the only one. The population is just going to go down with every day that there is no new news.

It's so dumb when companies do this :negative:

What console games manage daily patches to get things "running smooth"?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

GGG is special in that they actually seem to care (and have the freedom) to create a good game/experience. I don't necessarily agree with everything they do but they seem to honestly want to create a good product.

There probably isn't another studio on the planet that puts as much passion into their game as GGG does. Maybe CD Projekt Red comes close, but I would still plant GGG firmly above them.

NeurosisHead posted:

What console games manage daily patches to get things "running smooth"?

None. This game does have a PC version, though!

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

The Iron Rose posted:

a scenario which will literally never happen in practice doesn't seem like the best testcase

The idea being making a slow tanky character and a fast assassin is that the slow dude hits harder and can take more hits than the speedy dude.

Thats like... Balance 101.

The fact that the assassin's can trade hits with the beefy dudes and come out on top is hilariously busted.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Double Monocle posted:

The idea being making a slow tanky character and a fast assassin is that the slow dude hits harder and can take more hits than the speedy dude.

The fact that the assassin's can trade hits with the beefy dudes and come out on top is hilariously busted.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Double Monocle posted:

He can't "trade hits". He can trade side light attacks with that particular class and win. Because that particular attack hits harder than his opponent's life advantage.

Take the Warlord, a heavy defender with a big lifebar. Take the Berzerker, a light assassin with a smaller lifebar. Now, have them do side dodge attacks at each other. Whoops! The Warlord has no side dodge attacks at all, so this experiment will end with the Berzerker at 100% life and a dead Warlord. Even though everyone agrees that the Warlord has no trouble with the Berzerker and it's not an unbalanced matchup.

You've proved nothing about "balance" other than that Lawbringer shouldn't trade side attacks with the Orochi. That's good info, and thanks for the experiment, but the fact that you're crowing like it's some kind of incontrovertible proof of massive balance problems is foolish.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Wait, warlord (and also conqueror, imo) will almost always have no trouble with berserker and that's not imbalanced to you?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

UP AND ADAM posted:

Wait, warlord (and also conqueror, imo) will almost always have no trouble with berserker and that's not imbalanced to you?

It is imbalanced but for different reasons than are being argued here.

Berserker I think is considered a fairly weak hero. Although by God I have such trouble with their light spam if they get close to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

UP AND ADAM posted:

That...is not what I said at all. Or even implied. The point was to show that taking two guys and having them beat on each other with a single kind of attack is not good methodology for determining balance.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hes arguing against the other posters qualifications of balance. They aren't arguing that the game is balanced.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Like, in case this isn't obvious: the classes are not perfectly balanced. There are issues with some, and I find some of the characters a little one-dimensional personally. But just saying "I traded side attacks and won and that's bad balance, case closed" is facile.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

raider is obviously the best class because he can throw the best and throw every other class off a cliff, balance determined 100% science :proof:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

DarkDobe posted:

I play Valk.
Nothing but Valk.
I troll myself.

Hi fellow Valk main :unsmith::hf::smith:

The buff might help her out but like other folks are saying, she really can't chain and open poo poo to an appreciable degree.

Also warlord needs work, he shouldn't lock on to you through the air with his big diving overhead heavy to the point, if you're fast enough, he spins 90 degrees.

There's so many little things in this game that if they were addressed, would vastly improve things.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there some sort of ingame lag that keeps you from blocking attacks when you switch your guard? I swear I've moved my mouse in the right direction and I get hit by a blockable attack anyways. It feels really weird.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there some sort of ingame lag that keeps you from blocking attacks when you switch your guard? I swear I've moved my mouse in the right direction and I get hit by a blockable attack anyways. It feels really weird.

I wanna say it feels like there's an activation timer

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I had this same problem in dominion but not duels. I honestly think it's desync or lag when more than 4+ players are in a match. I noticed it with a berserker bot spamming combos and other people in the match were noticing it as well.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

Some character's guards move slower than others. For example, a Warlord of Berserker has more frames leeway to block than a Lawbringer or Shugoki. Basically the heroes with longer weapons take a little bit longer to switch blocks than the ones with smaller weapons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there some deeper timing aspect to regular ol' blocking (as in not parrying or deflecting) where snapping your guard into the right position as the blow is coming will make the enemy's weapon rebound a bit (like a mini parry almost) versus having the guard up ahead of time will just have the blow be blocked and your fighter kind of rolls with it?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I feel like someone asked recently if you could deflect an external attack. I'm pretty sure I just did it but no clue how. I could upload a clip tonight.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

If you mean an attack coming from someone you aren't locked on to, then yes. It's just a little awkward.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Like, in case this isn't obvious: the classes are not perfectly balanced. There are issues with some, and I find some of the characters a little one-dimensional personally. But just saying "I traded side attacks and won and that's bad balance, case closed" is facile.

I dont think its a coincidence the classes that have the most options (Warlord, Orochi, PK, Warlord) are good and the one dimensional ones (Raider, Conqueror, LB) are bad.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

fadam posted:

I dont think its a coincidence the classes that have the most options (Warlord, Orochi, PK, Warlord) are good and the one dimensional ones (Raider, Conqueror, LB) are bad.

Valk and Warden do not fit that mold, one has tons of options and they all suck, the other has few options and they are all good.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Capn Beeb posted:

Hi fellow Valk main :unsmith::hf::smith:

The buff might help her out but like other folks are saying, she really can't chain and open poo poo to an appreciable degree.

Also warlord needs work, he shouldn't lock on to you through the air with his big diving overhead heavy to the point, if you're fast enough, he spins 90 degrees.

There's so many little things in this game that if they were addressed, would vastly improve things.

Also as a Valk main I really hope they fix her.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Trillhouse posted:

Some character's guards move slower than others. For example, a Warlord of Berserker has more frames leeway to block than a Lawbringer or Shugoki. Basically the heroes with longer weapons take a little bit longer to switch blocks than the ones with smaller weapons.

So what am I supposed to do as one of those characters versus something like the Raider's side-into-top fakeout? It feels like you can't switch guards fast enough to block the switch so you have to gamble on if they are going to stay on the side or go top.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

This tracks with my experience as a Raider where it's not even worth it to try and block a Peacekeeper when they go into light attack spam mode. Just roll away and try to reengage on better terms.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

This isnt what he said and also isnt true. Berserker has just as many tools to shut down shield classes as they have to shut down zerker. I main all 3 classes. Berserker lvl 3 bots are the most difficult enemy ive faced as warlord. And ive crushed my fair share of warlords and conqs as zerk.

fadam posted:

Raider and conqueror are both very good because they both set the pace of a fight.

The only bad hero is valk and maybe lawbringer. The former has pitiful damage and few followups, the latter just has weirdly small range for a pole axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Yeah. I think it's kind of dumb that assassins get better blocks AND dodges. A light attack spamming PK is something I don't think I'm physically capable of blocking with the slower characters.