Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I can't watch that video until later, does the joycon desync WHILE connected physically to the tablet or only when it's docked and you're playing away from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

Don't respond to the person who is getting really mad about video games

How else am I supposed to fill the next 8 days???

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Soul Glo posted:

I can't watch that video until later, does the joycon desync WHILE connected physically to the tablet or only when it's docked and you're playing away from it?

Only while used separately.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

LethalGeek posted:

Don't respond to the person who is getting really mad about video games

Who is mad? 'm laughing my rear end off at this clusterfuck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you put the Joycon behind your back or COMPLETELY cover it with your other hand, it will lose connection.

In what woudl would you play like that? This is a non-issue.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Everyone put Utnayan on the ignore list, he doesn't want any conversation other than the one that bashes Nintendo

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://youtu.be/SbG3F9RwlcY

GameXplain tested out the desyncing issue. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be a major issue, but it sounds like it's going to be annoying as gently caress.

lol the switch is going to be one of the worst consoles of all time

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Inzombiac posted:

If you put the Joycon behind your back or COMPLETELY cover it with your other hand, it will lose connection.

He was showing how it happened. The second you throw your index finger over the left bumper, like what is happening to everyone else, it won't be a "non issue". Because I am sure all the reviewers right now are playing Zelda with the left joycon. Whims their back 🤣

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I can definitely see how resting the joycon on your lap will sometimes interfere with the connection. Pretty shoddy

Examples where you play with it behind your back are extreme, but they show what's causing the problem and it's clear that bodies, objects and short distances could pose problems in the future

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I wish I cared about anything as much as you care about the nintendo switch, Utnayan.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

it's not a good thing man

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Everyone put Utnayan on the ignore list, he doesn't want any conversation other than the one that bashes Nintendo

I have every Nintendo console made.

Jesus Christ. Get your head out of the sand. This particular console release is a loving joke rush job and everyone knows it Now even the joycons can't stay connected. And hell, you haven't even seen the abortion they call an online service.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If you haven't seen it how do you know it's an abortion

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

In parts of the world where it gets particularly cold and people like to play games while under sheets / blankets.

People that have larger hands and might cover more of the tiny controller.

Games that actually require you to hold a joycon with both hands (see: 1-2 Switch minigames) for multiplayer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Only while used separately.

Cool this will never affect me, shame it will affect lots of others though

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Remember when people were holding the iPhone wrong?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBAp33tnNE

This further explains the technical issues behind it.

Basically Nintendo made a choice vis a vis battery life and portability verses signal strength. This isn't the joycons being defective or cheap, it's a trade-off. A trade off easily mitigated both by console placement and being aware of some patterns that will be adjusted and thus become second nature through continued use and practice.

Surprise surprise, there are some adjustments that come with the use of new technology.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What makes no sense to me is why no one noticed controller signal issue at any of the Switch events. How close were the seats to the tv/docked console?

In any occasion, its highly likely that Nintendo can fix the issue by increasing the bluetooth radio power with a firmware update.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

Basically Nintendo made a choice vis a vis battery life and portability verses signal strength. This isn't the joycons being defective or cheap, it's a trade-off. A trade off easily mitigated both by console placement and being aware of some patterns that will be adjusted and thus become second nature through continued use and practice.

Surprise surprise, there are some adjustments that come with the use of new technology.

No you don't understand the Switch is going to literally be the worst console ever made and

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

TFRazorsaw posted:

It should probably just work dude.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

guys are you serious? who are we talking about? this is NINTENDO! home of the gameplay-mechanic auteur shigeru miyamoto! I wouldn't be surprised if the desycning was INTENTIONAL and they are going to implement it into their games. remember eternal darkness? imagine a version of that on the forthcoming gamecube virtual console with mysterious HD rumble pings and sudden total loss of control of your character! this is definitely a wait and see situation imo. just preordered a third system (amazon japan shipped via tenso fyi)

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Carmant posted:

It should probably just work dude.

Quit making sense. It comes with instructions to make sure you are within six feet of the console or you lose signal. Kind of like when Nintendo thought it was a good idea to include a one foot controller cord with their classic. That six foot cord would have broke the bank.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

What makes no sense to me is why no one noticed controller signal issue at any of the Switch events. How close were the seats to the tv/docked console?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnB6fuj94E

Flipping through the Treehouse stream it seems they were right up next to it.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's a lovely trade-off because it could be easily solved through some minor boosts to the signal while eating slightly into the already decent battery life of the joycons.

There's really no excuse for this poo poo. If someone has larger hands or is playing a game that utilizes one joycon for both hands then you could very well encounter those signal issues. So what's the adjustment there? Stop playing 2p, or shrink your hands?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i hope nobody gets mad here

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

eonwe posted:

i hope nobody gets mad here

I'm hoping for at least one rage stroke.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's a video that provides a technical perspective on the device in addition to explaining just why it occurs, both technically and physically.

The reasons why it happens are not based in incompetence but on an intentional choice. You know that battery life thing you guys are all insisting should be longer? Well guess what, it'd be even shorter if this weren't the case. There's a reason why these decisions are made - not arrogance, not "thinking they know better", but because they decided one matter was more important than the other.

The ways of dealing with it, in my opinion, are both reasonable and simple to implement.

I don't know what other kind of response regarding it you guys want.

quote:

There's really no excuse for this poo poo. If someone has larger hands or is playing a game that utilizes one joycon for both hands then you could very well encounter those signal issues. So what's the adjustment there? Stop playing 2p, or shrink your hands?

I have very large hands myself. I've encountered issues with it affecting my various electronic and wireless devices outside of this. Typically making slight adjustments to how I use them solves the problem.

But what do I know? I'm just someone who's lived with poo poo like this.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 24, 2017

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm hoping for at least one rage stroke.

Utnayan posted:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Guys I'm starting to get the very bad feeling that I won't be able to preorder a Nintendo Switch or the special edition Zelda.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I can't believe some of you idiots. It's really quite simple. Don't cover the Joy Cons with your hands. Don't cover the Joy Cons with a blanket. Don't play video games with your hands behind your back.

What kind of dumbass doesn't understand that CONCESSIONS must be made in order to deliver a QUALITY product at a REASONABLE price.

Nintendo made the right choice by improving battery life and keeping costs down instead of trying to accomodate an extremely niche use case. Sure, maybe it will upset a few trolls and normies, but I'd rather have an affordable set of Joy Cons THANK YOU.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the toys r us opens at 10 am near me, and im working that day, so I dont really have a chance of pickup in store

so im probs gonna not be able to get one on launch

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

murked by dragon posted:

I can't believe some of you idiots. It's really quite simple. Don't cover the Joy Cons with your hands. Don't cover the Joy Cons with a blanket. Don't play video games with your hands behind your back.

What kind of dumbass doesn't understand that CONCESSIONS must be made in order to deliver a QUALITY product at a REASONABLE price.

Nintendo made the right choice by improving battery life and keeping costs down instead of trying to accomodate an extremely niche use case. Sure, maybe it will upset a few trolls and normies, but I'd rather have an affordable set of Joy Cons THANK YOU.

same

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Neat.

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/834923796217888768

Spellman
May 31, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's a video that provides a technical perspective on the device in addition to explaining just why it occurs, both technically and physically.

The reasons why it happens are not based in incompetence but on an intentional choice. You know that battery life thing you guys are all insisting should be longer? Well guess what, it'd be even shorter if this weren't the case.
Nobody is complaining about the battery life of the 20 hour joy-cons. Shaving 10 of those hours off would even be fine if it meant a sturdier connection

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel pretty moderate about the Switch, the idea has potential but there are some issues. I think I'll just wait until it comes back into stock after launch, by that time there should be reviews for the games and we'll see whether that hardware issue is fixed.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
People complain about the battery life of the Switch console itself, not the Joycons.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

murked by dragon posted:

but I'd rather have an affordable set of Joy Cons THANK YOU.

Lol oh ok.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo...4&wl13=&veh=sem

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

The reasons why it happens are not based in incompetence but on an intentional choice. You know that battery life thing you guys are all insisting should be longer? Well guess what, it'd be even shorter if this weren't the case. There's a reason why these decisions are made - not arrogance, not "thinking they know better", but because they decided one matter was more important than the other.

if the battery life is still too short even when they've cranked the signal so low that from across the room just your finger starts making the control drop some inputs maybe that's not a good thing either

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

murked by dragon posted:

Ok but for real who the gently caress uses a controller under a blanket or behind their back.

I will grant that fat handed goons (such as myself) may cover the joycons, but who the gently caress does the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spellman posted:

Nobody is complaining about the battery life of the 20 hour joy-cons. Shaving 10 of those hours off would even be fine if it meant a sturdier connection

I'd believe you if people were being reasonable about the battery life of this thing despite the fact it's using the best possible battery it could possibly contain. Or that people are STILL complaining about the joycon charging grip despite these things holding a decent, long-lasting charge.

But they aren't.

Obviously Nintendo will make a decision based on people's responses but it will come with a trade off and that *will* result in debate because it's changing what they've advertised.

• Locked thread