Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

alright people, lets make it happen

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

How stupid are you that you think the same factors are at play between these two time periods?

You mean when terrible democrat Harry Reid stole a senate majority from the republicans in 2001 by courting a disaffected moderate republican? You're right, completely different circumstance, totally irrelevant.

Now tell me more about how Bill Clinton's decisions in the 90's are vital to our understanding of the flawed Democratic Party.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

See I would want to go out that way but it blows your body into bits, which is both 1) quick and 2) painless? but at the same time it's very gory

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HorseRenoir posted:

:ssh: you know how bernie would have won?

if his supporters took the time and effort to build a real political movement from OWS to adequately prepare for a 2016 run instead of haphazardly throwing something together at the last second

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
But please don't just use the primary fire on me it looks v painful

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

You mean when terrible democrat Harry Reid stole a senate majority from the republicans in 2001 by courting a disaffected moderate republican? You're right, completely different circumstance, totally irrelevant.

Now tell me more about how Bill Clinton's decisions in the 90's are vital to our understanding of the flawed Democratic Party.

Name for me, please, one disaffected moderate Republican who would go as far as to abandon the party in the Senate.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Name for me, please, one disaffected moderate Republican who would go as far as to abandon the party in the Senate.

Joe Manchin

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

I could name a few who might abandon the GOP over a Trump/Putin scandal, that pointless distraction idiot democrats can't let go of.

It took Reid six months, and Jeffords only flipped after he felt the GOP went off the deep end.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Remember when Hillary Clinton lost to Donald Trump in the general election lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

writing off the majority of the party as machine-lead sheeple is probably not a good idea

I can be pretty cynical but I dont think theres going to be many base voters going "wait, these guys are socially AND fiscally leftist? Hissssssss"

Like yeah don't poo poo on any group for voting/not voting, but im pretty sure the only people hecka loyal to the third way are rich people, everyone else are just allies of convenience

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*touches earpiece* im, ah, receiving word that Manchin is in fact a democrat, and is actually a, quote, "bunch of loose shits shoveled into a bad suit"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Azathoth posted:

All those boring centrists control the party apparatus because they do that, and have been doing that, for a long time.
These centrists aren't as populated as you might think though. Bad dems are there mostly because that's all who ever applies for office.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Remove PA from existence tia

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

:ssh: you know how bernie would have won?

if his supporters took the time and effort to build a real political movement from OWS to adequately prepare for a 2016 run instead of haphazardly throwing something together at the last second

Most voters in general were cynical and depressed about the nature of politics and how theres no genuine politicians, that haphazard politician showed them that there still are pockets of old hippies who are both politically savvy enough to work in the system and remain genuine

It's not like there was this hive of energized bernie supporters just hibernating for the past 10 years and doing nothing

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

please dont respond to the coward with no discernable beliefs other than "i want my chosen team to win"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Like it isnt as if there was a wave of leftists that went to OWS, then immediately walked into the oval office and said "i think this is ours now, thats how it works right"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
from what i observed, there was a wave of leftists who went to OWS and then degenerated into a shouting match about whether it was good or not

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Most voters in general were cynical and depressed about the nature of politics and how theres no genuine politicians, that haphazard politician showed them that there still are pockets of old hippies who are both politically savvy enough to work in the system and remain genuine

It's not like there was this hive of energized bernie supporters just hibernating for the past 10 years and doing nothing
there were actual progressives in 2008 that had the time and resources to run for office but did nothing but shove their thumbs up their rear end over oppression points at the behest of rich folk

i think the first response to being tricked like that shouldn't have been to dehumanize themselves and face to bloodshed but a late reaction is better than never

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

please dont respond to the coward with no discernable beliefs other than "i want my chosen team to win"

...you're gonna have to narrow that down

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

Remove PA from existence tia

won't MA be unhappy if you do

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just kidding, she already has AL to keep her warm at night :q:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Al! posted:

won't MA be unhappy if you do

MA has been quietly trying to find an out for awhile now :smith:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

docbeard posted:

...you're gonna have to narrow that down
i'm guessing it's the person who named himself partially after a former president

from what i observed, there was a wave of leftists who went to OWS and then degenerated into a shouting match about whether it was good or not
the aftermath of that is what led to the genesis of the dreaded "racsexists", people saying we can be socially AND economically liberal and downplaying one or the other is disingenuous

while antifa shook their heads over peaceful folk being tricked by the oligarchs, knowing one day they will be able to strike again when everything goes to poo poo inevitably :911:

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Feb 24, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm guessing it's the person who named himself partially after a former president

the aftermath of that is what led to the genesis of the dreaded "racsexists", people saying we can be socially AND economically liberal and downplaying one or the other is disingenuous

while antifa shook their heads over peaceful folk being tricked by the oligarchs, knowing one day they will be able to strike again when everything goes to poo poo inevitably :911:

if you find yourself, after agreeing that social and economic justice must be fought for hand in hand, turning back around with one finger raised with "but actually..." thats when the oligarchs are steering ur finger right up ur own butt

igeig

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this is correct tho

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

if you find yourself, after agreeing that social and economic justice must be fought for hand in hand, turning back around with one finger raised with "but actually..." thats when the oligarchs are steering ur finger right up ur own butt....igeig
what if you were going to say "but actually, i need to poop now"

yeah i agree, the leftist-liberal circular firing squad is tiresome and stopped being funny and i'm guilty of engaging in it :shepface: but don't forget who pushed that position in the first place.

this is correct tho
indeed, and all you have to do to witness the damage done to leftist discourse is go to our "parent" forum and say that and see how fast you get called a racist or sexist by effectronica and his band of merry shook fiscal conservatives

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Feb 24, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah i agree, the leftist-liberal circular firing squad is tiresome and stopped being funny and i'm guilty of engaging in it :shepface: but don't forget who pushed that position in the first place.

yeah its not an election year i dont have to pretend to support democrats anymore

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

These centrists aren't as populated as you might think though. Bad dems are there mostly because that's all who ever applies for office.
I didn't mean to imply that there's a lot of them, just that they're the ones that do things like recruit candidates and shepherd them through the primary process. They've been nominating candidates for decades, so they understand all the little things that need to be done to make it happen, and I don't mean necessarily underhanded things, just the boring blocking and tackling of political nominating.

Candidates who want to come in from outside the system are at a disadvantage without folks on the inside to help them, and that's what folks need to do to affect real change. If folks get bored after a month or two and decide it isn't worth the hassle, then those people who do stick with it are gonna be the ones who keep choosing the same candidates that you don't like.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i understand how bad it would be for long term strategy but if there was some kind of the Happening tree pollen or whatever the gently caress was going on in that movie that only affected sitting dems and their donors id be more than happy

sorry bernie, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

this is correct tho

The point he's making is that this correct opinion spent the majority of THE PRIMARY AGE getting shouted as being racist by third wayers because class consciousness didn't immediately solve racism in the ways that means-tested health insurance and charter school vouchers would

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

The point he's making is that this correct opinion spent the majority of THE PRIMARY AGE getting shouted as being racist by third wayers because class consciousness didn't immediately solve racism in the ways that means-tested health insurance and charter school vouchers would

seems like you missed the point my dude

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

i understand how bad it would be for long term strategy but if there was some kind of the Happening tree pollen or whatever the gently caress was going on in that movie that only affected sitting dems and their donors id be more than happy

sorry bernie, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
unfortunately the only outcome of that happening tree branch so far is *reads leaves pulled out* oh *reads more leaves* oh dear *reads the last few leaves* ........russian takeover

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the grim darkness of the primary age

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm so happy the DNC has narrowed its choice for chairmen to two out of the mainstream "citizens": the first is a Muslim anti white bigot and a leftist stooge bent on browning America and punishing white people. The other a devout Marxist who's values end in Hoboken then begin again at Berkeley on the left coast

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Shut the gently caress up FMN.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Al! posted:

Probably

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

he got it right except for the part where most people screaming racsexist got corncobbed and the only people still beating that drum are people who cry about their stock options being marginally impacted by the simple act of "not ripping off mostly-minority poors" but can't actually be honest with themselves and say that

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

fits my needs posted:

I'm so happy the DNC has narrowed its choice for chairmen to two out of the mainstream "citizens": the first is a Muslim anti white bigot and a leftist stooge bent on browning America and punishing white people. The other a devout Marxist who's values end in Hoboken then begin again at Berkeley on the left coast

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

same but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

• Locked thread