Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Dimebag posted:

Golf Megathread 2017: Tigers Back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dimebag posted:

Golf Megathread 2017: Tiger's Back!

Please have the apostrophe, thanks.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dimebag posted:

Golf Megathread 2017: Tigers Back!

Goddamnit, well played.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Along those lines, I wonder how many more of these younger guys like Rory, Dustin Johnson, Spieth, et al will all have hosed up backs when they are tiger's age. The amount of torque those guys are putting through their bodies can't be healthy.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Dimebag posted:

Golf Megathread 2017: Tiger's Back!

This has my blessing.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Farking Bastage posted:

Along those lines, I wonder how many more of these younger guys like Rory, Dustin Johnson, Spieth, et al will all have hosed up backs when they are tiger's age. The amount of torque those guys are putting through their bodies can't be healthy.

I've gotta wonder how much of Tiger's problems were due to his swing and how much was other stuff though. Look at a guy like Daly; he's got just as much torque and he's still going all-out with most of his swings despite his weight and other issues.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wasn't Tiger's issue less that he was swinging hard, and more how he was swinging? I thought there was something in his mechanics (maybe that 'stinger' swing) that someone said was putting extra strain on him.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Wasn't Tiger's issue less that he was swinging hard, and more how he was swinging? I thought there was something in his mechanics (maybe that 'stinger' swing) that someone said was putting extra strain on him.
Historically, he straightened his left leg too violently which stresses the knee and the lower back.

If you look at John Daly, or for that matter Rory or DJ, the way they generate speed is much smoother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ORRvlV7W8&t=13s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPx_1tRspAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHveFE1hus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtgNIYGPQU&t=12s

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 14, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Historically, he straightened his left leg too violently which stresses the knee and the lower back.

If you look at John Daly, or for that matter Rory or DJ, the way they generate speed is much smoother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ORRvlV7W8&t=13s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPx_1tRspAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHveFE1hus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtgNIYGPQU&t=12s

Thaaat's what it was. Rory and DJ are fast but smooth. Tiger was fast and kinda jerky.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That's a good point, there's definitely more of a "snap" in his swing. That DJ swing is gorgeous. Daly's is too but good luck to any mere mortal trying to maintain consistent contact/timing with that long of a backswing.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 14, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Amazing the amount of natural talent and hand eye coordination Daly has to be able to swing that long.

Through months of lessons I've drastically shortened by backswing and consistency has gone up, I'm getting similar distance too. The pro who teaches me has always pointed to overswinging for loss of power and direction. Those guys are that good.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

That's a good point, there's definitely more of a "snap" in his swing. That DJ swing is gorgeous. Daly's is too but good luck to any mere mortal trying to maintain consistent contact/timing with that long of a backswing.

DJ and Daly reach a level of torque that's infeasible for most people. Just look at DJ's position at the top. He's freaking Gumby.

DJ also has what I would call a "compact" finish. It's his signature, relaxed, shaft across the shoulders finish with no recoil at all. So awesome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJ's entire body is like 90% limbs :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That feeling when you get an email from your course:

quote:

Due to the outstanding forecast for this weekend we are going to open the golf course on Saturday and Sunday. Golf carts will be available unless we have significant rainfall between now and Saturday morning. The practice range will be available on the range mat and the short game area will be open as well.

:woop::woop::woop:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Happy for you guys to be able to play again. I can't imagine dealing with snow, all we've had to deal with lately are 40 degree Celsius days with super high humidity. Bring on autumn!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I'm going to Jacksonville this weekend, but I can't spring for Sawgrass. Where should I play? Preferably west side.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm going to Jacksonville this weekend, but I can't spring for Sawgrass. Where should I play? Preferably west side.

on a golf course

:rimshot:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Aren't you just a regular comedian :trumppop:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So it's time for a new driver from Ebay. The Zepp thing tells me I have a 99MPH swing with my Ping G25 10.5 degrees. I value being able to hit the ball straight more than distance.

What shall I purchase off Ebay this year guys?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Use the money you would spend on the driver for more lessons.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Kameh posted:

DJ and Daly reach a level of torque that's infeasible for most people. Just look at DJ's position at the top. He's freaking Gumby.

DJ also has what I would call a "compact" finish. It's his signature, relaxed, shaft across the shoulders finish with no recoil at all. So awesome.

I just want Adam Scott's swing, or Freddy's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRmKwMNpBvA

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

Use the money you would spend on the driver for more lessons.

I get free lessons/tips from my high school friend who is a golf pro.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mid-60s in NJ tomorrow and I'm playing Atlantic City Country Club. I'm pretty excited for it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Bent creek in Jacksonville was fun. Pace of play was atrocious. It was loving short though. Really short, like two par 3's that I hit a gap wedge into. Gonna go to Eagle Landing in the morning.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Can someone please explain to me what's going on at the Genesis Open as far as scheduling goes? Have they moved to the 4th round yet? I know rain messed everything up but are they caught up yet? Internet is spotty and won't have access to a TV for a few hours. Thanks.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

55-60 here in NY yesterday and today. Still snow on the ground so no courses are open but I've hit a lot of balls on the range both days and feel good.

kolby posted:

Can someone please explain to me what's going on at the Genesis Open as far as scheduling goes? Have they moved to the 4th round yet? I know rain messed everything up but are they caught up yet? Internet is spotty and won't have access to a TV for a few hours. Thanks.

A little late but- they were finishing the third round this morning, at this moment the last group (DJ, Perez, Tringale) are on the 16th hole of their third round. Most people playing right now are playing the fourth round. They are not regrouping so everyone gets a quick break and then tees off again with the same threesome regardless of scores. They should be able to finish the fourth round today.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's supposed to be in the mid 70s all week.

Maybe I should play some golf for the first time since July.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

DJ!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Eagle's Landing was awesome. Definitely has some length and hard fast greens. It was worth the extra 20 bucks over Bent Creek in pace of play alone. My trend of completely loving imploding on the back 9 continues.

Saturday: 39 front 48 back
Today: 41 front(tripled 9) 52 back

It's like a switch clicks about 13 holes in and I completely lose my ability to hit the ball. I dunno if it's fatigue or what.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 20, 2017

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I will never ever complain about not enough rain in NorCal, holy poo poo it's never stopping.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

I will never ever complain about not enough rain in NorCal, holy poo poo it's never stopping.

Welcome to the rest of the country.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rip

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The drink for winners of the major no one cares about

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I'm glad your phone is halfway charged.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Side effects may include: Dizzyness and Vertigo.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm the homer profile pic

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

runoverbobby posted:

The drink for winners of the major no one cares about

I see you've decided to make the commitment to go full retard.

That's a bold decision.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I'm down with J. Day, and I'm down for Lyman screenshots where his phone isn't on the brink of death, but I can't get behind drinking anything "-oil." It just sounds so gross.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kameh posted:

I'm down with J. Day, and I'm down for Lyman screenshots where his phone isn't on the brink of death, but I can't get behind drinking anything "-oil." It just sounds so gross.

And that is why you are not a champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I had a lesson today since the weather is so good in the Northeast.

Some choice words of wisdom from my instructor after a few drills and a minor grip adjustment without hitting a ball and then him having me start hitting a few:

"You do everything right until you put a ball in front of the club."

And he isn't wrong, that little ball makes you stupid.

Lessons are great though, even if I don't see a noticeable improvement in my game I feel like overall I'm better for it. It really helps that my instructor is a friend of mine so he doesn't have to censor himself with me. "Now that's a golf shot" carries a lot more weight when you know the guy actually means it. Also "well that sucked" pretty clearly gets the point across. I'd much rather have someone be brutally honest with me than try to massage my ego or breadcrumb me into more lessons.

I bought him a couple beers after and that's all the lesson cost me which is a nice bonus too.