Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
who;s the colette of every tales game, she was my fav character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Estelle from Vesperia is a pretty close match and she owns because everyone in Vesperia owns, especially the dog woof woof bark :shittydog:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Xillia's Colette is a cute boy named Jude who's trying to gently caress the human embodiment of God.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Huxley posted:

I have a hard time believing anyone could have an opinion on a Tales game that did not extend to every game in the series. They all have the same story, characters, and 95% same gameplay.

And that's coming from a person who has played them all (and can barely tell them apart at this point).

E: Here's my review of the every Tales game: it has a lot of character, the combat system is frenzied and the new stuff they do with it is just OK, the story starts off pretty strong but get sidetracked in the back 1/4, there's too much backtracking, and the crafting/equipment system is too confusing; if you are playing with a partner or a group of people, it takes entirely too long to get a full party. 7/10

agreed but its a 7.25 for me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ive paid one tales game and it was a ps1 game and all I can really remmeber was the main character had big poofy blond 80s anime hair and the sprites had really huge heads I think

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If every Tales game has a character that loves to remind the party the world is poo poo, and also they all suck and have depression, then that just tells me I should have played more tales games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Like who is the Laphicet of Zesteria? Or saying that Velvet and Sorey are just the same character with their gender swapped is pretty laughable.

uhh, excuse you, velvet is the leading character? yuri is also a leading character? these tales games keep having lead characters ugh

and don't even get me started on farah::eizen for example they both punch. they also both have great hair

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Eh, Eizen's hair is a 6/10, tops. I appreciate the color-fade thing all the Malak seem to have going, though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Ive paid one tales game and it was a ps1 game and all I can really remmeber was the main character had big poofy blond 80s anime hair and the sprites had really huge heads I think

That was the only good one.

symphonia was one of my favorite jrpg's as a kid and i beat it like 3 times, i have no clue if it stands the test of being an adult

So much makes sense now.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So WoFF was really fun and I was enjoying it a whole lot right up until the fake ending. After that, every boss fight became a huge chore that took forever with no real threat of dying, and then the game ends with a boss rush of FIVE fights in a row with no breaks, and if you die you have to start all the way over. I loved the game right up until the postscript, but dang does the end of the game suck all the fun out of it. Every boss has really high defenses, so even if you use (for example) Holy on something weak to it, it'll cost 9AP to do about 1.6k damage, but I could also just be using Thousand Needles for 1AP and do almost the same amount. :psyduck:

Maybe I'm underleveled? Is ~60 too low for the end of the game? Because I almost beat the final boss before he confused both of my party members and killed them before I had a chance to attack when he starts speeding up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not actually sure that it's ever worth it to use any of the level 3 or 4 attack spells. It was very rare that I wasn't better off using the cheapest spell more often than trying to use an upgraded version less.

Honestly, you basically just need to plan for the weaknesses of the first few bosses in the rush, and then bring sufficient spellstones to just cheese through the actual final boss' End Timer because he's weak to everything while counting down.

(also bring haste)

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The White Dragon posted:

uhh, excuse you, velvet is the leading character? yuri is also a leading character? these tales games keep having lead characters ugh

and don't even get me started on farah::eizen for example they both punch. they also both have great hair

How dare they make Judith, a cool sexy spear air combo lady, and then make Leila, a cool spearstaff air combo lady who is crushing on a dude named Jude????

I hear they even made another Spear Air Combo Lady in Berseria and I'm so miffed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zestiria bucked the trend by taking away your spear user a quarter into the game and never seeing her again basically despite still selling her gear type

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

So much makes sense now.

i don't know what you mean by this but it better be good!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We're talking about jRPGs here, nothing ever makes sense.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not actually sure that it's ever worth it to use any of the level 3 or 4 attack spells. It was very rare that I wasn't better off using the cheapest spell more often than trying to use an upgraded version less.

Honestly, you basically just need to plan for the weaknesses of the first few bosses in the rush, and then bring sufficient spellstones to just cheese through the actual final boss' End Timer because he's weak to everything while counting down.

(also bring haste)

Yeah I ended up just unstacking and tossing spellstones at the final boss until it died, never even got to launch megaflare cannon.

And yeah, I found that pretty weird in WoFF, that higher level spells tended to be over-costed just because they were aoe but didn't do more to a single target. It made it so that you'd only really use higher level spells on random mods, never bosses.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Anyone who says all Tales games are the same is full of poo poo for suggesting that Legendia is anywhere near as good as Abyss. :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played through The Tales of Berseria demo and there was not a single battle I got into where I knew what the gently caress was going on but I cleared it anyway so cool?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The game proper has lots of very informational tutorials. I haven't played the demo myself, so I can't say exactly what things are there and which things aren't, but the full game also has a monster manual that lists monsters' elemental weaknesses so you can tailor your loadout even more accordingly for the area you're fighting in.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I loved Xillia 1 and 2's combat but was completely turned off by the Berseria demo. The tutorials did very little to prepare you for that clusterfuck of a battle system.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The demo doesn't bother explaining anything and the combat in Berseria is good.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I would just like to say gently caress you to whoever designed that awful first blitzball game in FFX. I finally won after retrying like 6 times.

I actually bought the FFX remaster on PS4 since I never got very far on PS2. Also, is it worth it to play FFX-2?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you don't have to win that game dude...you wasted all that time

also ffx-2 is way better then ffx

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah I know, I played through it before and lost. But this time I wanted to win to strike it off my list of things to do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you even get anything for winning it?
Every time I get to that part I go 'I'm gonna beat it this time' then give up after two goes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You get a strength sphere which is ok I guess

e: And some different dialogue

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

You get an achievement on PS4, Wakka shows up with a giant blue trophy, and the dialogue changes for some people in Luca and you get a strength sphere.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You get to know that you beat the cheating rear end CPU and aren't a loser.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You get to know that you beat the cheating rear end CPU and aren't a loser.

What if you beat it by cheating yourself by doing the glitch that messes up the AI?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The easiest way to beat the mandatory Blitzball is to get Jecht Shot, then have Tidus and a guy pass the ball back and forth until Tidus levels up enough to equip jecht shot.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Beat FFIX now! I really, really enjoyed it.

Necron was super lame though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Tae posted:

The easiest way to beat the mandatory Blitzball is to get Jecht Shot, then have Tidus and a guy pass the ball back and forth until Tidus levels up enough to equip jecht shot.

And even then that still isn't a given. The games decision to let defense be automatic means that it's possible for their team to score without you having any control over it. Also there are 3 mandatory tipoffs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

What if you beat it by cheating yourself by doing the glitch that messes up the AI?

Then you've proven to be a greater being than the CPU and history is written by the victor, so you can just stirke your cheating from the record.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

finally, officially beat FFVII :toot:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Now you're ready for the remake! :hellyeah:

What was your favorite part?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Machine posted:

I'll have to think about it because I just loaded up my save in the last dungeon and rushed the boss with a vague idea of what all my equipment/materia did

I beat the boss before Safer Sephiroth before figuring out it's gimmick lol

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
I really want to play ff12 but maybe I should wait for zodiac age... Also until after I've actually beaten dark cloud.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Playing ffx is a waste of time, better off just moving right on to ffx-2

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i hated ffx when i was younger and i thought it would stick with me but as time as gone on i find myself defending it more and more so i guess i like it after all

i do think ffx-2 is way better tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Machine posted:

probably Cloud realizing that something actually is wrong with his memories and it's not just Sephiroth loving with him