Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

glad i took a long position mome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Larry was the only tech billionaire without one :cry:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
logged into dice.com, it still has my resumé from ten years ago lol. look at all this poo poo on my resumé that I forgot about.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

mishaq posted:

golden cuffs own

lol if you require passion or fulfillment out of your 9-5

was it someone in this thread that said they can find interesting and fulfilling problems on their own time, but can't stack paper on their own. I think it was.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
man i'm gonna wreck it at new place

not even end of week one and i am already wrecking it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also my last paycheck was 10,000 so that's all going in my emergency fund in case this startup explodes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"in case"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

also my last paycheck was 10,000 so that's all going in my emergency fund in case this startup explodes

:eyepop: how frequently do you get paid

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i had been paying into a stock purchase program that only vests (or whatever) every 6 months so i just got refunded all that money. so i actually lost out on maybe a grand (but saved myself the hassle of having to sell stocks).

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i had been paying into a stock purchase program that only vests (or whatever) every 6 months so i just got refunded all that money. so i actually lost out on maybe a grand (but saved myself the hassle of having to sell stocks).

i can't figure out if espps are particularly worth it. unless you can drop very large amounts in i feel like it's better to just max out your 401k and save?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

i can't figure out if espps are particularly worth it. unless you can drop very large amounts in i feel like it's better to just max out your 401k and save?

theyre worth it if you work at a Real Company™ whose stock price is continuing to increase

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

theyre worth it if you work at a Real Company™ whose stock price is continuing to increase

i would need to calculate what my gains would be

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

triple sulk posted:

why not both

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah if you're some high income computer toucher, maxing out your 401k easy, might as well get in on that stock purchase plan in addition to your regular investment accounts

I mean those suckers cap out at only $18k/year

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 24, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

this is going to depend entirely on the details of what you can buy at

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
In general you want to "bet against" your own company since you're already betting your career there and that's way too many eggs in one basket.

Most companies prohibit employees from shorting their own stock, though, but you can at least sell your RSUs as soon as you're allowed. Similarly, avoid stock purchase plans unless they give you a pretty significant discount, and again sell them as soon as you're allowed.

It's also a good idea to long-term hedge against the industry you're in. That's a bit harder though - you probably can't short mutual funds covering your industry since they likely include your own company.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

i would need to calculate what my gains would be

my company has a really good espp + growing stock price and i make a good chunk of change every 6 months just immediately selling the stock

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ShadowHawk posted:

Similarly, avoid stock purchase plans unless they give you a pretty significant discount, and again sell them as soon as you're allowed.
the gently caress is all this

is 15% good enough?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

my company has a really good espp + growing stock price and i make a good chunk of change every 6 months just immediately selling the stock

i think i could get like a couple hundred or so a quarter at best. it's not nothing but it's also not really amazing

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ADINSX posted:

This is what keeps me from even bothering to apply, despite my fiance working there and some of our friends. I'd only wanna work on very specific projects on their cloud or maps team, but even within those groups there are plenty of really boring projects.

It doesn't strike me as a place where someone can come in start making interesting and creative decisions. Maybe that's for the best, but its something I really enjoy about smaller companies, once you've proven yourself you can really have a say in the direction of the company's technology even if you only have maybe 2-5 years of experience.
If you want to work on "Google scale" things, there are probably only a handful of companies where you can do that. That's a whole class of interesting problems that you won't find in smaller companies.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

is 15% good enough?

yeah mine woulda been 15% and that would've netted me a cool 1.5k

probably less after fees and stuff

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 24, 2017

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

i think i could get like a couple hundred or so a quarter at best. it's not nothing but it's also not really amazing

i make a lot more than that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JawnV6 posted:

is 15% good enough?

free money is always good enough. even better if that 15% is not just off the closing value at the end of the period but some formula that makes it more favorable.

but really you should be pipelining that espp and selling it when it goes long term capital gains. the great thing is that the capital gains timer starts at the start of the espp period, not when you buy the stock.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

but really you should be pipelining that espp and selling it when it goes long term capital gains

nah

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think I could net out a ~$13k payday just by timing my exit just right and abusing the gently caress out of PTO accrual

no vacation for a year tho :\

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive never recorded pto in adp/whatever at any of the last 3 companies ive worked for because my bosses never gave a poo poo

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

mishaq posted:

ive never recorded pto in adp/whatever at any of the last 3 companies ive worked for because my bosses never gave a poo poo
Saaaaame

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

nice but that's the wrong way to think about it. once you have the pipeline primed, selling 18 month old shares is no different from selling new shares you got yesterday except you pay less tax on them. the risk is only on your floating shares (3 periods) that you can't pull out until the end.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

nice but that's the wrong way to think about it. once you have the pipeline primed, selling 18 month old shares is no different from selling new shares you got yesterday except you pay less tax on them. the risk is only on your floating shares (3 periods) that you can't pull out until the end.

i dont want to hold my company's stock for 18 days, let alone 18 months

realize the gain immediately and invest it in poo poo that you actually care about

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
all you guys discussing buying stock and I'm just kind of happy I think I'm getting a bonus this year

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

i dont want to hold my company's stock for 18 days, let alone 18 months

realize the gain immediately and invest it in poo poo that you actually care about

that's a different issue. yeah, if you don't have confidence in their stock then sell sell sell

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

The Management posted:

free money is always good enough. even better if that 15% is not just off the closing value at the end of the period but some formula that makes it more favorable.

but really you should be pipelining that espp and selling it when it goes long term capital gains. the great thing is that the capital gains timer starts at the start of the espp period, not when you buy the stock.

how does this work? idk any of this poo poo.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

that's a different issue. yeah, if you don't have confidence in their stock then sell sell sell

it's not that i don't "trust" it, but playing speculative buyer of my own company's stock and holding it for over a year just for some preferential tax treatment isn't worth it in my eyes

would you buy that same amount of stock at a non-discounted price?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

i make a lot more than that

yeah

in the grand scheme of things i can't bitch about what i'm paid but it's drastically less than what a lot of other people make

mishaq posted:

it's not that i don't "trust" it, but playing speculative buyer of my own company's stock and holding it for over a year just for some preferential tax treatment isn't worth it in my eyes

as far as i understood the goal of espp was always sell asap, and also never have more than 10% of your portfolio in your own company's stock as a general guideline

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

on the whole my benefits are kinda poo poo and it pisses me off

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the espp (and i guess our health insurance) are our only good benefits but the espp loving owns bones

our 401k is poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

as an investor with insider knowledge? probably. if I didn't I would be selling right away like you are.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the stock market functions by having a very large pool of very foolish people buying at all times

if you are not trading in very high volumes at very high speeds you are one of those foolish people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

stymie was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we're private and closely held so instead of stock we get "stock appreciation rights" which the board gets to set the value of arbitrarily. and they take like 2 years to vest. i have like 10000 of them and if i waited the full 2 years theyd be worth like 16k according to the current valuation. its totally worthless as an incentive to stay for the long haul.

• Locked thread