Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

*writes furious steam review*

I know the Stellaris team loves their classic science fiction references but this is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

It will probably be better when they release the Utopia version of it though.
While true, it'll probably take them a long time to get all the new features implemented in a good way.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

LordMune posted:

Never thought I'd get a shoutout from a dev on SA :allears:

wait

The true dev was the friends you made along the way.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Baronjutter posted:

I don't receive an annual bonus until late April/May so it's probably a good thing Utopia isn't right around the corner.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I'll wait for a Steam sale after all...

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Nm

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 23, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yo what the heck

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yikes

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Okay it was over the line, truly something awful :(

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, I laughed. I just felt really bad right after.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, I laughed. I just felt really bad right after.

i laughed and then did not feel bad after

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Well then

If LordMune posted as much in the thread we'd be happily singing his praises as well :colbert:

The rest are non-people as they don't post with us

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Aww, what was it? I missed it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vadoc posted:

Aww, what was it? I missed it.

a picture of starving african children scraping for a morsel of food from an erect imperialist exploiter only the african children were labeled 'goons' and the imperialist was labeled 'wiz' and the morsel was labeled 'utopia'

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Instead of more Stellaris devs, get the guy in charge of White Wolf here so we can ask him what the gently caress.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Coolguye posted:

a picture of starving african children scraping for a morsel of food from an erect imperialist exploiter only the african children were labeled 'goons' and the imperialist was labeled 'wiz' and the morsel was labeled 'utopia'

:monocle:

That sounds both awful and hilariously true.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bloody Pom posted:

:monocle:

That sounds both awful and hilariously true.

The starving locals should also be fighting each other and angry at the food's political terminology.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It was a picture from the Armenian Genocide of a Turkish official taunting a bunch of starving kids with food held out of their reach, but Wiz's av on the guy, and captioned as Wiz teasing helpless goons about Utopia.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

The starving locals should also be fighting each other and angry at the food's political terminology.

Cleveland, then.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

A crazy thought I had while waking up this morning. Syncretic evolution using imperialist-style civics results in a diarchy. :monocle:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

The true dev was the friends you made along the way.

Out of interest, is there any real difference culturally between teams at paradox?

Like I mean do the CKII team tend to be massive history buffs? Do they often end up being the most keen on doing nasty things to other players? Are the Stellaris guys the super Sci fi ones?

Or is everyone really just what you'd expect from a games company. Huge nerds.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Out of interest, is there any real difference culturally between teams at paradox?

Like I mean do the CKII team tend to be massive history buffs? Do they often end up being the most keen on doing nasty things to other players? Are the Stellaris guys the super Sci fi ones?

If the dev clashes are anything to go by Wiz is one of those EU4 players who you can never quite tell what he's going to do. And that makes him dangerous.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also I wasn't really joking when I said Paradox dudes and dude ties should post here more often. I can understand why anyone may want to duck out after the fifth page of "why can't you just copy this exactly from EUIV?" but I think you guys should know we really appreciate the fact devs come here and chat to us on these dead gay forums, when you guys could be chatting on new gay soon to be dead platforms like reddit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Bloody Pom posted:

If the dev clashes are anything to go by Wiz is one of those EU4 players who you can never quite tell what he's going to do. And that makes him dangerous.

[MOLOKOV]
The man is utterly mad -- you're playing a lunatic --

[THE RUSSIAN]
That's the problem. He's a brilliant lunatic and you can't tell which way he'll jump -- like his game he's impossible to analyse -- you can't dissect him, predict him -- which of course means he's not a lunatic at all.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kitchner posted:

If design leads are anything to go by, people get shifted around a lot between projects.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Fintilgin posted:

If design leads are anything to go by, people get shifted around a lot between projects.

I don't work in the game industry but I suspect that is the case. Happens at my job all the time.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kitchner posted:

[MOLOKOV]
The man is utterly mad -- you're playing a lunatic --

[THE RUSSIAN]
That's the problem. He's a brilliant lunatic and you can't tell which way he'll jump -- like his game he's impossible to analyse -- you can't dissect him, predict him -- which of course means he's not a lunatic at all.

I'm reminded of a certain line from the EU4MP Let's Play thread.

"You can negotiate with a warmonger. You can't negotiate with someone who wants to make a country shaped like a dolphin, especially when one of your provinces looks like a fin."

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
This is probably already something mentioned, but, I think raiding with vikings has been some of the most fun I've had so far in CK2, since it means even when I'm waiting on truce/threat cooldowns I can have my dudes go smash something. Would there be any chance of adding space-piracy (or privateering) as a similar deal, in Stellaris? Maybe raiding mining/research stations or planets for slaves or something?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I assume if you play fanatic purifier, you can go and burn down whatever you want. No diplomacy means 'in the grim darkness of the near future there is only war', right?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You still have rivals, insults, wars, and truces because otherwise the game breaks in half, you just get no positive diplomacy.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I find it funny that the game would break without the ability to insult each other.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think that part really only applies to still having to abide by truces.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's the always war part. The AI is terrible at dealing with it, and imagine how annoying it would be for every one of your neighbors to be randomly sending little issues fleets around your empire all day long.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It's the always war part. The AI is terrible at dealing with it, and imagine how annoying it would be for every one of your neighbors to be randomly sending little issues fleets around your empire all day long.

I'm doing a thousand-yard stare into the distance as I think of CK2 Vikings

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Didn't paradox make always war work with hordes in EU3 or 4?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ulmont posted:

Didn't paradox make always war work with hordes in EU3 or 4?

Only for an extremely loose definition of work.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

The cannon end for Janeway is she was actually arrested by the temporal starfleet dudes andprisonced to prison in the 21st century for her crimes.

Took me all day before I got this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
What I'd like is when the AI offers me defensive pacts or non-aggression it shows up slightly differently at the top to the AI having signed ones with other people. I tend to just ignore them and end up missing them talking to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

What I'd like is when the AI offers me defensive pacts or non-aggression it shows up slightly differently at the top to the AI having signed ones with other people. I tend to just ignore them and end up missing them talking to me.
Yeah, I'd love some kind of "this involves you" "this involves your rivals or allies" "you don't care about this" indicator.

Do migration treaties chain? If dog people let mushroom men in and I have a treaty with dog empire can the dog empire's mushroom men wander over to my empire?

• Locked thread