Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So both the armor smithing texts and the weapon smithing texts drop from the same guy? And I'm assuming they can drop on any difficulty but weighted higher on higher difficulties? (Novice/Amateur/Veteran dojo missions?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I like this game but I hate some of these substory missions. Some of them were fun and had a little story but it feels like too many of them are "get to this boss arena where we throw several waves of multi-mob bullshit at you."

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Why bother farming bosses for smithing texts when you can just kill revenants for easy drops? I've had a set of at-level Warrior of the West for pretty much the entire game without having to forge or soul match once. It does break my heart that so many cool looking armor sets are not worth using since they don't get a set damage boost. They should have gone all the way and given a set bonus to every set.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm trying to get the fanatic set going. Forget getting purple, apparently after grinding out the omibozu like eight times in a row and apparently bring lucky about getting his eye as a drop --- I've come to realize it's no guarantee as I go into my 20th time fighting the dumb boss.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm trying to get the fanatic set going. Forget getting purple, apparently after grinding out the omibozu like eight times in a row and apparently bring lucky about getting his eye as a drop --- I've come to realize it's no guarantee as I go into my 20th time fighting the dumb boss.

Make sure you are using the 25% material drop kodama blessing. And using a kodama bowl as a hat to boost that further. And if you want, use equipment with item drop.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Like loving durrrr I think I have the amrita blessing on

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Man, just make smithing texts static loot in pre-determined chests. Farming for that poo poo isn't fun.

Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end. Or make them mission rewards for redoing the boss's mission or something. Farming sucks.

Eschatos posted:

Why bother farming bosses for smithing texts when you can just kill revenants for easy drops? I've had a set of at-level Warrior of the West for pretty much the entire game without having to forge or soul match once. It does break my heart that so many cool looking armor sets are not worth using since they don't get a set damage boost. They should have gone all the way and given a set bonus to every set.

Because revenants use like three sets ever so if you want sets that aren't Red Demon, Warrior of the West, and more rarely Kingo, you gotta farm it up yourself.

For the cool-looking sets that aren't all that worth using, that's what refashioning is for! I refashioned my gear to Youngblood recently because I think it looks awesome.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end. Or make them mission rewards for redoing the boss's mission or something. Farming sucks.

Because revenants use like three sets ever so if you want sets that aren't Red Demon, Warrior of the West, and more rarely Kingo, you gotta farm it up yourself.

For the cool-looking sets that aren't all that worth using, that's what refashioning is for! I refashioned my gear to Youngblood recently because I think it looks awesome.

I just steal whatever I can from revenants. I've wanted to craft my own set but it will be out of date quickly and probably make me fight centipede fifty times (which I don't find hard, just boring).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Mitsunari took me like 5 tries. Took me a while to realize that giving him distance is a death sentence.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Got a divine katana with Change to Attack (Skill) A+ and Familiarity Damage Bonus B-. I can keep rerolling for a better Agility or Familiarity Damage Bonus later but for now I am really happy to have this thing and need to focus on soul matching it up. Even at 150 (+2) it's outdamaging my old katana, which is 150 (+5).

JBP posted:

I just steal whatever I can from revenants. I've wanted to craft my own set but it will be out of date quickly and probably make me fight centipede fifty times (which I don't find hard, just boring).

It's not worth crafting a full set until NG+, really. At that point, it's much easier to keep it from going out of date--gear caps out at level 150, and at that point, you can soul match to add a + to it, like 150 (+1), 150 (+2), and keep powering it up to 150 (+10). In NG I wouldn't bother crafting because you're right, you'll replace it all soon anyway.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Can't you just feed the +5 to the new katana or do you have to do it level by level?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Can't you just feed the +5 to the new katana or do you have to do it level by level?

Unfortunately, you can only go up one level at a time. So if I soul matched the +5 into the +0, it'd become +1, which would be a big waste.

I'm still wasting some +'s soul matching this thing up. Like I used a +2 that dropped to get it to +1, when it would've been more economical to wait until a +1 dropped for me somewhere. Once I get the new sword to +5, though, I'll be able to immediately get it to +6, which is nice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The fact that you can't make a +1 with two +0 is really lame. Being at just random chance to forge or find +1s is dumb.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

Unfortunately, you can only go up one level at a time. So if I soul matched the +5 into the +0, it'd become +1, which would be a big waste.

Wow that's awful

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Wow that's awful

It wouldn't be so bad if you could do something with +0s. But they are pretty much worthless.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I know it's probably already been mentioned before, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it from what I've read of the thread. You ever notice how the skills ki pulse: man and ki pulse: earth don't actually give extra damage for your next attack? That's cause the text description is wrong, and they actually give a different benefit. Ki pulse: man let's you block one attack without losing ki while earth let's you dodge once without using ki. Again, sorry if everybody knows this already, but I wanted to bring it up because it can be pretty useful I've found.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sam Faust posted:

I know it's probably already been mentioned before, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it from what I've read of the thread. You ever notice how the skills ki pulse: man and ki pulse: earth don't actually give extra damage for your next attack? That's cause the text description is wrong, and they actually give a different benefit. Ki pulse: man let's you block one attack without losing ki while earth let's you dodge once without using ki. Again, sorry if everybody knows this already, but I wanted to bring it up because it can be pretty useful I've found.

Well I had no idea and that explains so much.

Anything else the game straight up lies to you about via shoddy translation?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Can we just talk for a second about how Honda is a pushover baby?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

Can we just talk for a second about how Honda is a pushover baby?

Yeah, he's a chump. The only way he gets tough is if he uses his heal, which makes him heal like 600 life per second for several minutes which is a huge pain. But it's not hard to kill him before he uses it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Honda is by far the easiest duel. His little trick where he flings a stone at you is like begging you to get free hits in.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
ok so i'm trying to figure out how inherited stats work. If I want to make a monster katana, is that even possible? I have a weapon with inherited damage from behind, one with finishing blow damage, and one with agility A. is it even possible to get all of those onto one weapon via inheritance? I'm hesitant to use them because if it doesn't work I'm ruining good weapons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I doubt that you can put finishing blow and damage from behind on the same weapon, but change to attack should be fine with either of those. Inheritance shows up on the soul match preview, so you'll know before you click and confirm whether it's going to work or not.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Snak posted:

I doubt that you can put finishing blow and damage from behind on the same weapon, but change to attack should be fine with either of those. Inheritance shows up on the soul match preview, so you'll know before you click and confirm whether it's going to work or not.

You can definitely have them both on the same weapon, but only one stat can be inherited at a time, which is unfortunate. But probably for the best.

I wonder which stat is the best one to have inherited, then...i'm wearing full kingo and going for sneaky damage/behind damage, not sure what's the best.

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005
The sloth spell is so broken. I accidentally wandered into the spider lady's boss room while exploring, and because I wasn't ready to do the boss I popped her with sloth and absolutely destroyed her. I'm gonna have to redo the level not just because I need to find that last kodama, but I should fight her without one because it took no skill whatsoever.

Harrow posted:

My girlfriend was watching me play and when I got set on fire she said "stop, drop, and roll!" and I laughed a lot when it actually worked.

If you roll or dash through buckets filled with water you can run through fire without an issue. I love these little detail things.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
So I just unlocked the mission with the 3 clones and its a brick wall. I'm running out of stamina trying to break one's guard before I get killed by the other two from offscreen. Is there a trick that I'm missing or can I sidestep it and start NG+ already?

I managed to get a divine Red Demon set off of revenants though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Learnin Derby posted:

The sloth spell is so broken. I accidentally wandered into the spider lady's boss room while exploring, and because I wasn't ready to do the boss I popped her with sloth and absolutely destroyed her. I'm gonna have to redo the level not just because I need to find that last kodama, but I should fight her without one because it took no skill whatsoever.

If you roll or dash through buckets filled with water you can run through fire without an issue. I love these little detail things.

Sloth tones down a bit later on (not heaps though). For other truly broken times, apply the lifesteal talisman to enemies then just brutalise them over and over with your biggest break hits while they can't get ki.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Tequila posted:

So I just unlocked the mission with the 3 clones and its a brick wall. I'm running out of stamina trying to break one's guard before I get killed by the other two from offscreen. Is there a trick that I'm missing or can I sidestep it and start NG+ already?

There's some way to agro only one of them at a time, but I couldn't replicate it intentionally

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, just forged 2 +1 swords in a row. And since they have the same name, 70% soul match discount. Now I have a +5 sword.... Sweet.

Edit: it seems pretty drat viable to just forge a shitton of one weapon dumping shards into it to get +1s. I just forged like 14 Bizen-den tachis and got like 7 +1s.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 24, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tequila posted:

I just fired up Living Weapon and watched 'em melt. They have tiny stamina bars, and once you wear those down, you start doing nightmarish amounts of damage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was having problems on the big skelly level. Then I realised you have unlimited spirit animal mode :madmax:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

ok so i'm trying to figure out how inherited stats work. If I want to make a monster katana, is that even possible? I have a weapon with inherited damage from behind, one with finishing blow damage, and one with agility A. is it even possible to get all of those onto one weapon via inheritance? I'm hesitant to use them because if it doesn't work I'm ruining good weapons.

You can only ever have one inherited ability on a weapon. If a weapon already has an inherited ability and you make it inherit another, it'll overwrite that.

Your best option is reforging, but all of the abilities you want conflict. You can't have multiple damage bonuses. That means Agility Damage Bonus and things like Strong Attack Damage +x% or Familiarity Damage Bonus or Finishing Blow Damage can't be on the same weapon. You have to pick one. The best you can do is to have Change to Attack (Stat) and either Agility or Familiarity Damage Bonus--they're equally good, but obviously Familiarity is better if you're not wearing light armor. If you are, they're equal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This game is so dope. I know the stst guide will come out soon and my maps will be pointless, but I'm hoping to finish up my iga escape map this weekend.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yuka onna is a real pain. Are her ice attacks water? How is she not less resistant to fire?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yuka onna is a real pain. Are her ice attacks water? How is she not less resistant to fire?

She is weak to fire, yes. 'Weak' is a relative thing, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yes, her attacks are water elemental. She's weak to fire, but that mostly just means it's easier to get the fire debuff to stick to her--it builds up faster and does more damage once it's active.

She's easier if you stay fairly close to her. The most dangerous attack she has when you're close is her ice nova, but that's very heavily telegraphed. Try to hit her in the back and kick her when you can. Her Ki drains pretty quickly when you kick, so you can get some good hits in while she's stunned if you do that. Use fire if you have easy access to it because extra damage is never a bad idea. If you have the Guardian Spirit Talisman or some Moment Talismans, put on maybe a lightning spirit like Paired Raiken and use those to stick the lightning debuff on her, then set her on fire, and beat the crap out of her while Discord is active.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

A good trick for any boss is to find the element they are weak to, get some talismans of that, and then pick on of the Guardian Spirits that has an additional element. Water is the easiest to apply first, but if you can get any element on them and then use some Moment Talismans its usually fairly easy to stack Discord.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If a weapon rolls Change to Attack (stat), but it's one of the default 3 stats for that weapon already, does it overwrite the default or is it additive? For example if I have an Axe with Change to Attack Str A, and the Axe normally has uses Str at B scaling at default, will both traits add damage or will the A grade just overwrite the base scaling?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It seems like it's additive. But change to attack abilities are way worse than default scaling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megasabin posted:

If a weapon rolls Change to Attack (stat), but it's one of the default 3 stats for that weapon already, does it overwrite the default or is it additive? For example if I have an Axe with Change to Attack Str A, and the Axe normally has uses Str at B scaling at default, will both traits add damage or will the A grade just overwrite the base scaling?

It's additive, and therefore it rules.

Thing is, it is weaker. Change to Attack (Stat) B+, for example, is less scaling than normal D+ scaling. That said, it's always a bonus, so it's never a bad thing to have. Double-dipping on damage scaling is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tequila posted:

Use living weapon. Breaking the cylinders will recharge it so you can probably sustain it until all 3 are dead.