Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

haljordan posted:

Plus his mom seems like the biggest enabler in the world

Well if she didn't help she'd be a whore who never really loved his father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Since were on the subject of baby gorilla did you guys hear Artie was a no show for last night's San Francisco stop of the Crashing Comedy Tour with Pete Holmes and Judd Apatow. They claimed Artie "pulled his groin." Apatow appeared agitated regarding the no show, but went on to do a 90 minute set to make up for the MIA Baby Gorilla.

"Hey Judd this is Artie..."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

JB50 posted:

Since were on the subject of baby gorilla did you guys hear Artie was a no show for last night's San Francisco stop of the Crashing Comedy Tour with Pete Holmes and Judd Apatow. They claimed Artie "pulled his groin." Apatow appeared agitated regarding the no show, but went on to do a 90 minute set to make up for the MIA Baby Gorilla.

Howard's fault for not putting a chain around his neck and dragging him to rehab. And his mom's too.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 23, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

JB50 posted:

I'll cut him an enormous amount of slack on this one and here's why. They did Pete Holmes' podcast earlier and they sat around and had fun and told stories and very deep into the podcast Artie told this story about his mother sacrificing for him to be able to go pursue comedy as a career. Artie was working the port at the time to help ends meet in his family and his mom does the amazing motherly thing and sacrifices for her son to pursue his dreams and he just breaks down at that point and had to get some air or something.

I think Artie is unbelievably self-aware of the trouble he has heaped upon his mother over the years and that story is a very self-realizing one and it got to him and hit him like a freight train. Not excusing the no-show, I'm just saying I understand. Even if you hate him which most of you seem to, I think he's very self-aware and I think that torments him often and so I'm all in favor of cutting people slack when they start to mentally break down.

Go listen to the podcast, it's really good. The story starts around 1h14m in and it's a doozy.

http://nerdist.com/you-made-it-weird-354-artie-lange-and-judd-apatow/

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

This classic seems to always be applicable to Artie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uisoo7qPGM

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

I think Artie is unbelievably self-aware of the trouble he has heaped upon his mother over the years...

Ya totally disagree with you on this one.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Artie is self-aware of nothing, it's why he gets angry when other people join in his ridiculous self-deprecation routine (Not My Bro, etc) because he wants people to argue with him and say "No-a my Artie, you're-a not-a worthless"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BobbyK posted:

I think the sad thing is that if Artie just hit rock bottom and went to rehab there's such a great chance he'd be able to find some closure about the Stern show. I don't think you have to be a psychologist to see how much it hurts him to have burned those bridges and it must be hard to accept that he's not getting that back. Instead of lashing out and calling Marci Turk a oval office or complaining how Jimmy Kimmel turned Howard into a snob he could be living amends and just be happy instead of caught in the past.

It's pretty hosed up, Artie was great on the show but now we're just watching a slow march towards a lovely ending.

No, I think he's just being vengeful because he wasn't allowed to go back on the show and continue to pretend everything was fine. He didn't get his way, and now he's gotten to the point where he's just going to torture Howard for ditching him in that way even if it was Artie's fault. All and all, it's nothing more than spite with the added bonus of keeping some Stern Show fans around to buy some tickets.

haljordan posted:

Plus his mom seems like the biggest enabler in the world

Yup.

Bonzo posted:

Well if she didn't help she'd be a whore who never really loved his father.

Indeed. He's a junkie, through and through.

JB50 posted:

I thought this was going to end with 'Artie's body has been found.' Because at this point....

Crotch Bat posted:

I'll cut him an enormous amount of slack on this one and here's why. They did Pete Holmes' podcast earlier and they sat around and had fun and told stories and very deep into the podcast Artie told this story about his mother sacrificing for him to be able to go pursue comedy as a career. Artie was working the port at the time to help ends meet in his family and his mom does the amazing motherly thing and sacrifices for her son to pursue his dreams and he just breaks down at that point and had to get some air or something.

I think Artie is unbelievably self-aware of the trouble he has heaped upon his mother over the years and that story is a very self-realizing one and it got to him and hit him like a freight train. Not excusing the no-show, I'm just saying I understand. Even if you hate him which most of you seem to, I think he's very self-aware and I think that torments him often and so I'm all in favor of cutting people slack when they start to mentally break down.

Go listen to the podcast, it's really good. The story starts around 1h14m in and it's a doozy.

http://nerdist.com/you-made-it-weird-354-artie-lange-and-judd-apatow/

He decided to get a well-paying union gig to 'help things out?' I thought he had quit the job and then left for Los Angeles. Am I misremembering things here or is this more junkie lies so he could get high and set up a possible no-show excuse in advance?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

He decided to get a well-paying union gig to 'help things out?' I thought he had quit the job and then left for Los Angeles. Am I misremembering things here or is this more junkie lies so he could get high and set up a possible no-show excuse in advance?

This here is why I really think some of you go too far. Secret junkie conspiracy theories so he can dip out on a night of standup to go get high?

If junkies want to get high they just go get high. They don't need plans to throw everyone off their trail, they just go do it because getting high matters more to them than work or friends.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Artie is a real moron for ditching that show. Making an enemy out of Apatow is not exactly a brilliant move for a guy who's already burned a ton of bridges

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crotch Bat posted:

This here is why I really think some of you go too far. Secret junkie conspiracy theories so he can dip out on a night of standup to go get high?

If junkies want to get high they just go get high. They don't need plans to throw everyone off their trail, they just go do it because getting high matters more to them than work or friends.

No didn't you know, we have a direct feed into what he's thinking and therefor know exactly why he does what he does. It's simple

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Surprised this hasn't shown up in here yet:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...ay-be-fired.htm

Opie did a YouTube Live stream of the SiriusXM building and convinced a cleaning lady to let him in to the Stern area until getting caught by security. Sounds like they are being over dramatic about him being fired, but he definitely got in to trouble.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Congrats on getting some cleaning lady fired, jagoff

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It wasn't Opie's fault, it was his mom's and also someone he worked with once who enabled his bad behavior, Opie was just trying to make money for his poor ma, and also I hear Judd Apatow is a total rear end in a top hat. Also Beth secretly wants babies and Howard wears a wig. I don't know where you guys come up with these keeerazy conspiracies.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Artie is self-aware of nothing, it's why he gets angry when other people join in his ridiculous self-deprecation routine (Not My Bro, etc) because he wants people to argue with him and say "No-a my Artie, you're-a not-a worthless"

I don't think it has to be one or the other dude, people are much more complicated than that.

He's a smart guy who I'm sure has had, at worst, even brief moments of clarity throughout his life where he's seen himself and those around him for what they really are. He just chooses to do nothing about it at basically every opportunity.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

beep by grandpa posted:

He just chooses to do nothing about it at basically every opportunity.

Awareness is nothing without action, it doesn't count if you go "Yep I'm fat but instead of not eating so much I'll just eat a lot and then get mad at people who point it out because that's mean of them and when people are mean to me I should definitely treat myself to make up for the psychic injury I've suffered".

I'm not saying he's a bad person, I'm saying he's inflicted nearly all of the damage to himself and everyone in his life has tried to help with exactly the same result.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He's just lazy, miserable and self-sabotaging. Some people definitely have the perception to identify the biggest problems in their life but none of the motivation to do anything about it. You think every alcoholic/addict thinks there's nothing wrong even when they know they've lost all control of everything? Some are just unwilling, period.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JB50 posted:

Pulled his groin? Doing what, peeling an orange?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

kylej posted:

Didn't they pay for rehab for him - multiple times? If I recall correctly he lied about going and went gambling instead. He also lied multiple times about seeing a therapist. If you remember he came clean about his heroin use early on, where the entire staff hugged Artie and offered support and showed genuine sympathy, which he in turn threw in the trash. poo poo, even when Artie kept using, Howard did stuff like host a private party at an Italian restaurant for Artie's birthday to show him that people still cared and loved him...

Remember, Artie's gonna do what Artie's gonna do, and it turns out that means he's going to live life as a junkie loser. It's true the guy was definitely nodding on air and used as entertainment but poo poo he was getting a drat good salary and if he wasn't going to crack jokes might as well use him for something. The Howard Stern show has goofed on, used, and drat near exploited freaks and weirdos for 30 years. Artie rapidly transitioned from cast member to violent, junkie weirdo. Par for the course. Hell I think Artie should go back to his sleeping on the couch routine, it's funnier than anything I've heard from him in 5 years.

I love this post. People are babying Artie; he knows what he is, he knows what he became on the show, and for him it was half intentional, and he was having a blast doing it. He was a fat racist sexist heroin addicted caricature. Would any therapist disagree that it was an unhealthy environment for him? Of course not. But the same could be said of Eric the Midget, High Pitch Eric, and probably even Beetlejuice, if you got some bleeding heart who thinks they're making fun of him. Artie is mad now because in his mind, he was doing what got him on the show, and got kicked off and launched back into obscurity for the same reason. As anyone probably would be. But the Howard Stern experience simply proves that Artie was going to do what he did whether he could afford million dollar treatment or was mooching off his angel mother and sister.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ether Frenzy posted:

It wasn't Opie's fault, it was his mom's and also someone he worked with once who enabled his bad behavior, Opie was just trying to make money for his poor ma, and also I hear Judd Apatow is a total rear end in a top hat. Also Beth secretly wants babies and Howard wears a wig. I don't know where you guys come up with these keeerazy conspiracies.

Alright buddy we'll see ya. Take care

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

kylej posted:

He was walking to....no wait.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 24, 2017

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

haljordan posted:

Artie is a real moron for ditching that show. Making an enemy out of Apatow is not exactly a brilliant move for a guy who's already burned a ton of bridges

For real. I'd say the only real reason Judd wanted him for the show was so people would come to the stand up, and Judd could go on pretending he's a stand up comedian.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

This is also the same man who said 'if you don't believe me, piss test me' and then went out to buy some so he could clear the same test. Not saying conspiracies, but I am saying his mind is pretty much gone. Also, a longshoreman gig just to help out is silly: those jobs still pay very well nowadays. He could have supporting his mom while doing that without any issue.

I don't know.

haljordan posted:

Then again, Judd should know that Artie tends to do this to every gig he gets. He'll make some excuse but this is common behavior with him.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Advice posted:

I love this post. People are babying Artie; he knows what he is, he knows what he became on the show, and for him it was half intentional, and he was having a blast doing it. He was a fat racist sexist heroin addicted caricature. Would any therapist disagree that it was an unhealthy environment for him? Of course not. But the same could be said of Eric the Midget, High Pitch Eric, and probably even Beetlejuice, if you got some bleeding heart who thinks they're making fun of him. Artie is mad now because in his mind, he was doing what got him on the show, and got kicked off and launched back into obscurity for the same reason. As anyone probably would be. But the Howard Stern experience simply proves that Artie was going to do what he did whether he could afford million dollar treatment or was mooching off his angel mother and sister.

Agreed. I'm pretty sympathetic to people but no one you mentioned excepted Beetle of course would get an ounce from me.

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

For real. I'd say the only real reason Judd wanted him for the show was so people would come to the stand up, and Judd could go on pretending he's a stand up comedian.

Hate to break it to you, but as a stand up Apatow is probably miles above Artie. Those people were lucky he didn't show up.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

This is also the same man who said 'if you don't believe me, piss test me' and then went out to buy some so he could clear the same test. Not saying conspiracies, but I am saying his mind is pretty much gone. Also, a longshoreman gig just to help out is silly: those jobs still pay very well nowadays. He could have supporting his mom while doing that without any issue.

Yeah but Artie uses money as a replacement for actual emotions, like love and giving-a-poo poo-about-someone. "Danaer, I bought you a Mercedes, who cares if I missed your sister's wedding because I was high on dope!"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

kylej posted:

FAWWWWK YEAH oops wrong thread

"As you move along in your life, keep an open mind and (don't forget) if you gotta do something, believe in yourself."
~unknown

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Beetle doesnt need anyones sympathy that dude has it made. He's as bad as can

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Just listened to the Holmes podcast and good lord, Artie is the most fragile drat person. I can understand him getting emotional about the situation, but clearly the other two were supportive. He is so afraid of not being the Jersey hard rear end yelling f****t that he runs out of the podcast and doesn't show up to their live show. He got that upset talking about his family's struggle after his father died young... decades ago... that they have long since recovered from. I would say he needs some solid therapy, but clearly that is an understatement.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Lifespan posted:

Just listened to the Holmes podcast and good lord, Artie is the most fragile drat person. I can understand him getting emotional about the situation, but clearly the other two were supportive. He is so afraid of not being the Jersey hard rear end yelling f****t that he runs out of the podcast and doesn't show up to their live show. He got that upset talking about his family's struggle after his father died young... decades ago... that they have long since recovered from. I would say he needs some solid therapy, but clearly that is an understatement.

I doubt anyone in that family has recovered from losing their father/husband at such an early age, they just cope with it better than Artie.

He got the job via friends and then started funneling money to his mom because she was struggling to make ends meet. I doubt his mom worked while his father was alive and healthy as that was still very much a thing back then although I can't speak to that for sure so whatever job she probably got to pay the bills wasn't much of one. The point was he was going to leave the state to go do comedy, if you listen to when that story starts it was clear he wanted out of NJ for awhile so that meant leaving that port gig which meant he wasn't going to to have that crazy cash flow coming in to be able to send off a bunch to his mom but she said she'd work two jobs so Artie could go pursue his dream.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 24, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Artie's mom was who paid the family's bills with a steady secretarial job while his dad stole ladders and installed antennas on days he wasn't too hungover to work 3 hours a day and apparently even some days he was, and the idea that Artie ever made any decision with the main goal of supporting his surviving middle class family that consisted of two non fuckups and Artie, is about as believable as a phone call that begins "Hey Gar"

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Out of curiosity, I looked up the price of the TV that High Pitch Mike won. 50 inch Panasonic TVs still go for around £500 ($630). That's more than I thought it would be. Still not worth getting Siobhan's dirty open wound on your face.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Artie's mom was who paid the family's bills with a steady secretarial job while his dad stole ladders and installed antennas on days he wasn't too hungover to work 3 hours a day and apparently even some days he was, and the idea that Artie ever made any decision with the main goal of supporting his surviving middle class family that consisted of two non fuckups and Artie, is about as believable as a phone call that begins "Hey Gar"

What world do you occupy where a secretary in the 70s-80s is the main financial support of a family of 4?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hm yes, the 1970's and 1980's, no one was able to support a family of 4 on one salary. It was Artie's story, so take it up with him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Out of curiosity, I looked up the price of the TV that High Pitch Mike won. 50 inch Panasonic TVs still go for around £500 ($630). That's more than I thought it would be. Still not worth getting Siobhan's dirty open wound on your face.

When was the dare, 2008-2009? That tv definitely went for something like $1200 back then. At least $1k. Not a huge difference, though.

Still not enough to get that close to the mangina. :barf:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If I were white I'd set my alarm clock to "Wake up white people!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

When was the dare, 2008-2009? That tv definitely went for something like $1200 back then. At least $1k. Not a huge difference, though.

I was working from home then so it had to have been 2006 or early to mid '07

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bonzo posted:

I was working from home then so it had to have been 2006 or early to mid '07

It's funny; I know the years of the show based on what went on with Eric. 2007 is Kendra and Sanjaya time. 2006 is Katherine Mcphee and the phone number, as well as (I believe), the flying with balloons beginning.

:allears:

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The MSRP of that TV was $3k when he got it, so realistically it was probably worth $2k if he wanted to resell it. Of course he left it unopened for at least a year and then it was never brought up again (after the Artie fights). Odd stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Also remember that that was a plasma tv and not an LCD. Panasonic stopped making those in '13.