Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Cran posted:

The password pages were added later? M, my kayfabe...

More than that, all the pages in which John's arm, John's glowing essence, and oil slicks displaced from John's denizen encounter were originally posted WITHOUT those things and retconned in much later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm happy people are reading and liking it now that the dust has settled

Cran
Mar 23, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

More than that, all the pages in which John's arm, John's glowing essence, and oil slicks displaced from John's denizen encounter were originally posted WITHOUT those things and retconned in much later.

So I heard, took the wind out of my sails a bit. The original pages are still on the website, even. Worth it for the double-takes, but it makes me wonder how far in advance that twist was actually planned.

It's hard glean that kind of meta info as a new reader since MSPA's forums are kaput and Hussie scrubbed his Q&As.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cran posted:

So I heard, took the wind out of my sails a bit. The original pages are still on the website, even. Worth it for the double-takes, but it makes me wonder how far in advance that twist was actually planned.

It's hard glean that kind of meta info as a new reader since MSPA's forums are kaput and Hussie scrubbed his Q&As.

Well, there are some things that were hinted at pretty early.

Remember this page, way back in act 2 or 3?

See something familiar on one of the monitors on the right?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spellman posted:

I'm happy people are reading and liking it now that the dust has settled

Well, at least one person.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, at least one person.

There've been a handful in this thread.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
It doesn't help that the communities have sorta dried up. Not a lot of pushing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cran posted:

It doesn't help that the communities have sorta dried up. Not a lot of pushing.

I started reading shortly after the start of the gigapause, the community seemed like it had died down already back then.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Strangely, the cessation of content for over a year is a great way to dissolve a community, especially when you don't have a projected date for content to begin again.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think the archive reader has a very different time, but I don't think it's good to compare Acts 1-3 to Act 6. iirc, Acts 1-3 happened over the course of like... A few months, and were constantly introducing new and exciting elements of worldbuilding. I don't remember how long the 'start' of Act 6 took, but nothing new was really introduced, it was just Teen Relationship Stuff. Which, yes, has always been part of Homestuck, but normally there has been more happening in terms of the overarching story. Even after something happens and they enter the game, we flash forward to... Nothing happening. This was probably made more apparent by the fact that the pacing of Homestuck's updates slowed drastically for the live readers, and we had been spoiled rotten by the lightning pace of the trollocalypse.

Even with my disappointment in nearly everything post-retcon, I still wouldn't trade the OH gently caress OH gently caress OH gently caress feeling of livereading the Trollocalypse. That was some primo poo poo right there.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I guess I was more into it because the intermissions with Team Meteor, Caliborn, and Meenahquest filled my quota for Things Happening, and I'm a sucker for Teen Relationship Stuff if it's not Arrow-tier balls. Narratively, much of Act 6 is weak, but it had all my favorite parts, too. A6A5A1x2, Game Over, Dave and Dirk, just about every Roxy scene, Suplex...

Nothing happening in the game itself was meh, but I give it a by for being appropriately unsettling at the outset when the new, exciting adventure turned out to be a quartet of desolate wastelands, leaving a bunch of sheltered, lonely, damaged kids with four planets of space, six months of time, and only each other for company.

I have my issues, but they're not as much with Act 6 as they are with the overall structure of Lord English's arc and how it kind of sucked the life out of more interesting villains. Which...became mostly apparent in Act 6.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Despite the overall lethargy people had by the end of the comic, people found individual updates entertaining/funny, which usually consisted of 5-20 pages dumped onto the site per day, even throughout Act 6. It was usually weeks later when people would say, "[This] or [that] was kind of bullshit, wasn't it?", or during the lengthy pauses. Once in a while someone would have a meltdown about how Vriska should've stayed dead or how Dirk is an awful human being, but updates were usually praised as they rolled out

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
In tangentally-related-to-homestuck news, Dante Basco recently launched a kickstarter to make a Rufio prequel movie. Currently it has already reached its minimum funding goal.

So that's a thing that's happening.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CidGregor posted:

In tangentally-related-to-homestuck news, Dante Basco recently launched a kickstarter to make a Rufio prequel movie. Currently it has already reached its minimum funding goal.

So that's a thing that's happening.

Good for him! He's always seemed like a cool dude.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You know what, Cran? I'm glad to hear it holds up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm glad, too. I read the whole thing the week before the last big pause ended, so I got to be there while the RetJohn (adding the passwords) was happening and flummoxed by the brilliance of it. I loved it a lot, still do, and disagree with the overall "oh, I outgrew Homestuck"/"Homestuck was good before you got here"/"Homestuck always sucked, you fools just didn't notice" atmosphere of this thread.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
For the John retcons, I just wish Hussie had a cookie given to the browser after the reveal that had the pages display the updated pictures/flashes instead.

But I guess giving archival readers a different reading experience through cryptic foreshadowing is a pretty homestuck style thing in itself so whatever.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

"flummoxed by the brilliance of the retjohn"

lmbo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The retJohn was an interesting idea that wasn't used to its full potential, or very well at all honestly.

That's my hot take on this year old issue.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It just didn't feel worth it to go back and see the REMIXED TIMELINE. Like, okay, this character lives, sure, we're just gonna ignore how that changes the entirety of the Meteor Crew's dynamic, whatever. Maybe I'll go back and reread HS one day. But I'll probably stop when they introduce the fuckin Beforus trolls again because christ, who thought that was a good idea.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
i liked homestuck as it updated and i liked how it ended and i still like it

Ask me anything

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

thanks alot assbag posted:

Ask me anything

Are you me

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ask me anything

What are you hoping the game will be like?

Did you enjoy the snapchats?

Have you ever watched a movie you've never seen before just because you saw it referenced in Homestuck?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'd seen Con Air before I read Homestuck, but when I saw the movie again on cable within the last few years, I couldn't help but laugh when How Do I Live played at the end.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Are you me

he's me, bitch

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

no, i'm troll spartacus

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I watched Con Air this morning because of Homestuck and it is so much better than it has any right to be.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Con Air is the best chapter of Homestuck.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I agree re: Con Air, but haven't tried rewatching Hook since reading HS

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I catch Hook every couple of years. It shows its age, but it's still plenty fun. Though I didn't realize that was Dante Basco until HS pointed it out.

And come to think of it, I haven't watched it since Robin Williams died. Uh.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Remember the man for his successes and mourn his loss for what happened, but do not let that stop you from enjoying his work. I don't think he would like people not smiling.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

Remember the man for his successes and mourn his loss for what happened, but do not let that stop you from enjoying his work. I don't think he would like people not smiling.

Anyone else take a second to realize this was about Williams and not Hussie

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What are you hoping the game will be like?

Did you enjoy the snapchats?

Have you ever watched a movie you've never seen before just because you saw it referenced in Homestuck?

The game will be good and funny and a low-budget indie game, the snapchats were fine (i think their existence kind of negates the end of the comic but whatever), and no why would I bother

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The game will be good and funny and a low-budget indie game, the snapchats were fine (i think their existence kind of negates the end of the comic but whatever), and no why would I bother

Because Conair is actually pretty fun.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I dunno, I think they actually fit in pretty well thematically at least--'the story' is over, and thus our semi-omniscient narrative window into happenings closes, and the characters themselves take responsibility for the depiction of events--actually, within the context of the story, they've transcended being 'characters' and emerged from their trials as self-actualized 'people,' who don't have arcs, don't need to perceive themselves in grand narrative terms, can be creative without falling down defensive navel-gazing pits of metaironic self-consciousness, and thus mostly tweet/snap inane bs about their lives when given the burden of narrative responsibility.

Note: I can only sustain this fiction of thematic cohesion as long as I do not pay attention to or read the snapchat stuff at all. I'm sure it will prove me wrong before too long. :smith:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The snapchats were an excellent vehicle for the credits, a neat idea for the halloween antics, but wholly unsuitable for the Jane assassination plot story.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

The snapchats were an excellent vehicle for the credits, a neat idea for the halloween antics, but wholly unsuitable for the Jane assassination plot story.

:agreed:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Jane-assassination part of the snapchats felt like a 60-year-old's idea of what the kids are up to these days.

"You were kidnapped? Where are you?"

"Hang on let me Snapchat you a selfie of where they took me"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bogart posted:

Strangely, the cessation of content for over a year is a great way to dissolve a community, especially when you don't have a projected date for content to begin again.
It doesn't help that they killed the official forums at random without any explanation given.

I mean, a gaggle of hiatuses will do that anyways, but it seems weird given that the forums were a major source of in-jokes, names, and minor plot threads. It's not like it was a thing Hussie made out of some obligation, as it was one of the major wells he went to for community input after killing text commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

At the outset of the kickstarter, he said that his next big project after Homestuck will be making games, and that's exactly what he's doing now. Thinking on it, this explains why he's stubbornly pressing on with Hiveswap in spite of (reportedly) having no money and having every reason in the world to give up on it entirely.
Like, no money for the game or running out of money period? The former we've known about for years, the latter would be surprising given that WeLoveFine is still underpaying independent artists releasing new designs on a regular basis. I do wonder how long he could live on the fumes of Homestuck's popularity though. It's definitely big, but that's in the context of webcomics so it could just mean he's not as stressed about making rent each month.