Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

iospace posted:

That's the thing that sort of boggles my mind. Why are Ultra Beasts and Tapus legal?

Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

iospace posted:

That's the thing that sort of boggles my mind. Why are Ultra Beasts and Tapus legal?

they're cool as heck

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mostly because they're unique (as in there's a limit you can get on a single cart without trading). I thought they were legendaries for the purposes of online battles.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Mostly because they're unique (as in there's a limit you can get on a single cart without trading). I thought they were legendaries for the purposes of online battles.

Pretty sure "pseudo-legendaries" like the birds, the beasts, and the like have pretty much always been allowed in VGC rules.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So many bullshit shineys

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flagrama posted:

Pretty sure "pseudo-legendaries" like the birds, the beasts, and the like have pretty much always been allowed in VGC rules.

Ah, ok. This is all new to me. I sort of wanted to get into this in X and Y, but real life stuff sort of conspired against me.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I went like 10-5 today although the last one prob already shouldn't count because of whiskey.

I'm running Snorlax/Mimikyu z-belly drum trick room. The other two are Golispod and Crab the which is okay but not great. 13/15 times I've been able to set up the belly drum trick room. Once it's set up I can usually sweep but I've actually had a couple things survive snorlax self destructing which surprised me a lot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Since bank finally came out for Sun & Moon(?), I'm gonna start playing later and I was hoping someone could hook me up with a Snivy egg and a Fennekin egg maybe some time tomorrow :3:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Since bank finally came out for Sun & Moon(?), I'm gonna start playing later and I was hoping someone could hook me up with a Snivy egg and a Fennekin egg maybe some time tomorrow :3:

I could do that prior to 5PM EST. I've definitely got some extras.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The White Dragon posted:

You can actually catch a Serperior in Sun and Moon. Just gotta get 100 points on the island scan. Fennekin, however, can not.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Flagrama posted:

Those are just straight-up legendaries, though? Pseudo-legendaries are just the random 600 base stat 3-stager for that gen - Dragonite, Salamence, Goodra, Metagross, etc.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

As long as a legendary doesn't have base 680 or higher, or isn't Mythical, it's allowed.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The haunted house things in festival plaza seem real lovely

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

FishBulb posted:

I just got my first a few days ago. They are the worst.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did my required 3 matches for Mega Mawile last night. I don't have a competitive team for Alola yet, so it was like 3 good ones and my Starter who is kinda beefy (easily survives stab Thunders and stuff, but not special made).

Trip Report: Tapu Madness!!

Every team I ran into had at minimum 2 Tapus. Bulu and Finni (why?!) were the most popular. No team had Lele. Which is weird, because I thought Lele was good. I use it as my only Tapu, so whatever.

The only unique team I fought was one that relied on Pumukyu. It poisoned my Mimikyu at the first move. Which seemed good. But didn't bother with anything else, and never even struck Mimikyu the entire match. The problem was that it's 4th guy was a Kartana. Who had some grass move Looked like vine whip, but I forget the actual move. Leaf something, I guess. I don't use grass manz. The point being, he had this really annoying start of wasting turns using Pumukyu to turn everything into water type. Made no sense to me at first. 'Maybe he just doesn't want STAB working for me?' But then at the end, it was down to Kartana who had the grass move, and could one shot my remaining team. That's a really annoying strat that I have never encountered before.

Anyway, that's my story about how I probably won't be going to VGC or anything, thanks for reading.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

poo poo, I forgot the tournament started this weekend. Thought it was next week. Guess I'll just throw together whatever I have and go get my participation award. :v:

FishBulb posted:

They are lovely. The only thing they're good for is getting a Sacred Ash if you're a completionist.

Rare Kitchen is the best food stall. Everyone should get at least one 5-star, preferably 2 or more if you can afford it. Those meals are a godsend for leveling legendaries for hyper training.

5-star Lottery Shops are cool, but you should only bother with Big Dreams (Master Ball/Rare Candy) or Treasure Hunt (Gold Bottle Cap/Bottle Cap). IMO it's worth getting a couple and checking them daily since you can get free PP Ups and PP Maxes.

Fortune Tellers are great for getting FC multipliers so you can grind up your plaza rank, buy the good stalls, and occasionally luck out and get a good stall for free. They also give you new phrases.

All the other stalls vary from decent for in-game purposes (Soft Drink Parlor is nice for stocking up on Moomoo Milk) to nearly useless.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I have 2 rare kitchens and a big dreams and a treasure hunt. I need to just stock up on those that's all I really care about.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I've got two pokemon from Wonder Trade that had Japanese names, but reverted to their default names when they evolved. I thought they were supposed to keep their nicknames.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ariong posted:

I've got two pokemon from Wonder Trade that had Japanese names, but reverted to their default names when they evolved. I thought they were supposed to keep their nicknames.

They weren't nicknamed.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait so ok, how do I enter this competition? Is it over? I just want a Beedrillite.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait so ok, how do I enter this competition? Is it over? I just want a Beedrillite.

You had to enter last week I think. Usually there's an entry period before it starts and it lasts weekend.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

If you didn't enter by now, you're too late. Sorry :(

You will eventually be able to get Mawilite and Beedrillite but it'll be a while before they give it away to non-participants.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Ignite Memories posted:

Once the rewards get handed out, there are goons that have already said that they will be cloning the stones and handing them out

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
If you get "the connection to the server was interrupted" during a battle, what does that mean? Do you get a different message depending on where the problem was (my end, their end, at the server), or is it the same regardless? I had 3 battles and then I got put up against someone with a team full of shinies (well, his 2 leads were shinies anyway) and the battle ended with that message after one turn. Shame because it seemed like it was the start of an interesting battle. He had a Mimikyu which Swords Danced and a Sylveon which used Reflect. I Rock Tombed the Mimikyu to lower its speed while breaking its disguise, and Heavy Slammed the Sylveon to reduce it to about 30-40%.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

iPodschun posted:

Once the rewards get handed out, there are goons that have already said that they will be cloning the stones and handing them out

Cool. I didn't look forward to a bunch of tapus and celesteelas.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hammerite posted:

If you get "the connection to the server was interrupted" during a battle, what does that mean?

I assumed this means they rage quit and turn off wifi.

5 fights should be enough to qualify for the stones, right?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Ariong posted:

Someone already covered this, but they weren't nicknamed. Foreign Pokemon retain the name they have in their game of origin until they evolve, then they start using the language of the game they're in. Foreign nicknamed Pokemon do retain those names, though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Well, I'm currently at 0-4 in my attempt to go into this tournament with what I call "Operation Mega Primarina" (i.e. entraining Water Bubble onto it, and ideally Baton Passing on a Quiver Dance too)

If nothing else, I just got completely styled on by an Alolan Ninetales using Freeze-Dry :v:.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

1-3 so far, though speaking of Alolan Ninetails I've discovered having Encore on it to be devastatingly effective if one of the opponents is spamming Protect. Not game-changing as you might guess from the record, but then I apparently overlooked Exeggutor doesn't care for the taste of Figy berries so I probably wasn't going to cover myself in glory either way. :v: (Might have been 2-2 if Draco Meteor hadn't missed at the worst possible time though).

Anyway, I started on Doubles at the Battle Tree to blow off steam. Does anyone know if the 20th match before Super Doubles unlock has a fixed opponent like Red? I'd hate to start from scratch when the reward are so bad at this tier.

edit: and also hadn't put a sweeper EV spread on a support Ninetails. Proooobably shouldn't have been storing them right next to each other in the box.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Rangpur posted:

1-3 so far, though speaking of Alolan Ninetails I've discovered having Encore on it to be devastatingly effective if one of the opponents is spamming Protect. Not game-changing as you might guess from the record, but then I apparently overlooked Exeggutor doesn't care for the taste of Figy berries so I probably wasn't going to cover myself in glory either way. :v: (Might have been 2-2 if Draco Meteor hadn't missed at the worst possible time though).

Anyway, I started on Doubles at the Battle Tree to blow off steam. Does anyone know if the 20th match before Super Doubles unlock has a fixed opponent like Red? I'd hate to start from scratch when the reward are so bad at this tier.

edit: and also hadn't put a sweeper EV spread on a support Ninetails. Proooobably shouldn't have been storing them right next to each other in the box.
I did that yesterday as it happens, the 20th match in regular Doubles is Blue and I ended up completely destroying him, one-shotting all four of his guys (so I got my steam-blowing-off in early, I guess).

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 24, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You fight Blue, IIRC (e:f,b)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
nm

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015

Hammerite posted:

If you get "the connection to the server was interrupted" during a battle, what does that mean?

It means you're the one that's disconnected, counts as lost for you. You''ll be kicked back at Festival Plaza home with your internet disconnnected if that happens.

Hammerite posted:

Do you get a different message depending on where the problem was (my end, their end, at the server), or is it the same regardless?

Yeah, if your opponent is disconnected, then you'll get "communication with the other trainer was interrupted". You'll still be on Battle Spot page asking if you want to battle again if that happens.

systemchronos fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 24, 2017

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Hammerite posted:

Unova is the one with Mr. Medal. Looker is Sinnoh Tent 1*, which I don't have right now. I will certainly install one if I get it, though, as I only have 3/5 of the phrases from that tent. (I got rid of it before I investigated how the Fortune Teller tents work.)

the phrases: http://pastebin.com/pnG3WwfZ

I just got Sinnoh Tent 1*!

Ignite Memories posted:

Cool. I didn't look forward to a bunch of tapus and celesteelas.

I have encountered no Tapu nor any Celesteela. Maybe the server was taking pity on me because I just kind of threw together a team? My only accomplishment so far has been Thief-ing a Vaporeon's leftovers so that I could Headbutt it and make it faint; in three battles that's the only enemy Pokemon I've defeated :v:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

systemchronos posted:

It means you're the one that's disconnected, counts as lost for you. You''ll be kicked back at Festival Plaza home with your internet disconnnected if that happens.

That sucks, I was enjoying that battle. My internet connection is usually stable, so it's pretty aggravating that it chose that moment to crap out... early evening peak traffic I guess.

zonohedron posted:

I just got Sinnoh Tent 1*!

I have encountered no Tapu nor any Celesteela. Maybe the server was taking pity on me because I just kind of threw together a team? My only accomplishment so far has been Thief-ing a Vaporeon's leftovers so that I could Headbutt it and make it faint; in three battles that's the only enemy Pokemon I've defeated :v:

I have Sinnoh Tent 1* for the last few days, I've been trying to arrange a trade with Silver Falcon so they can get it as well, but we are finding it hard to arrange because we live in very different time zones I think. I just got the last phrase today though.

One of my opponents had a tryhard team with a Celesteela, a Tapu and a Garchomp. I didn't win, didn't expect to because I'm just using my in-game team still with a bit of EV redistribution (but still crap natures and not very good moves)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Fortune Teller phrases are random (out of the 5 options for each), right? I feel like I've been waiting EONS to get "Please come" from my Sinnoh Tent 3. Its the only one I need before I can replace it. Also: Haha, "please come".

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Diet Poison posted:

Fortune Teller phrases are random (out of the 5 options for each), right? I feel like I've been waiting EONS to get "Please come" from my Sinnoh Tent 3. Its the only one I need before I can replace it. Also: Haha, "please come".

Yes and they're not soft resettable. But what I don't know is whether the phrase for the next time you visit is "queued up" so you have to get it out the way, or whether instead it's just fixed for a given day so you could test to see what it is without saving and then skip that day if it's not what you want, to avoid spending the FC.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

zonohedron posted:

I've seen a few but much less than I expected. I have fought 13 teams with Mimikyu though

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

How do you change what facility you're offering to other people, anyway? I've got a couple of the fortune teller tents, though apparently not the desirable ones. But I'd at least like to offer people a 5 star dye house or lottery instead of a 1 star soda shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rangpur posted:

How do you change what facility you're offering to other people, anyway? I've got a couple of the fortune teller tents, though apparently not the desirable ones. But I'd at least like to offer people a 5 star dye house or lottery instead of a 1 star soda shop.

It's just the first one on your list. There's a hard hat dude in the castle who will rearrange it for you.