Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Dammit, you guys are going to convince me to dust off my HK account to get this today. I'm always a little reluctant to do anything on that account since I get a notification like every other day that someone is trying to hack it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

Okay, I didn't know about the t-shirts being EU exclusive. Now if I can narrow down if the PS4 digital pre-order includes those Day One pod outfits I can safely cancel my Amazon pre-order and switch it over.

Digital preorders get all DLC items and theme. The only reason I can think of ppl ordering via amazon is for Prime discount and physical edition.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Dammit, you guys are going to convince me to dust off my HK account to get this today. I'm always a little reluctant to do anything on that account since I get a notification like every other day that someone is trying to hack it.

2-factor life

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Alder posted:

Digital preorders get all DLC items and theme. The only reason I can think of ppl ordering via amazon is for Prime discount and physical edition.

Thank you. This will also put me over the $100 threshold so I get $15 in credit. Huzzah

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Game is pretty jank on a normal PS4. In the first ~8 hours I've had two crashes, one infinite load screen, and I had to replay the entire intro due to the preload bug. This in addition to a number of buggy quests and frame flashing, all of which were fixable with a game restart at least. Advise saving at every opportunity to anyone setting out.

That said it's very fun and good otherwise. Yoko Taro is pretty much going to make a Yoko Taro game, just with solid Platinum combat instead of hot trash, right down to the inane side quests and grinding weapon upgrade materials and story of pure suffering. Wouldn't have it any other way :unsmigghh:

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 24, 2017

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Someone with the game needs to test if the kamikaze guys screaming has a Doppler effect al-la serious sam

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone know if it's possible to add items to the quick menu you access by pressing down on the d-pad?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can you turn on english for the menus or is it just subs

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there's english for everything

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Just put in 3 hours. I'm loving this game, even though I had to start over thanks to that download bug.

Game plays so well.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

so i experimented and started over a bunch of times and chests that have been opened once seem to be opened and empty forever on any subsequent save files with any names. probably a bug? maybe? i dunno it's yoko taro

e: deleting system data does bring them all back

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 24, 2017

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

No Mods No Masters posted:

Game is pretty jank on a normal PS4. In the first ~8 hours I've had two crashes, one infinite load screen, and I had to replay the entire intro due to the preload bug. This in addition to a number of buggy quests and frame flashing, all of which were fixable with a game restart at least. Advise saving at every opportunity to anyone setting out.

That said it's very fun and good otherwise. Yoko Taro is pretty much going to make a Yoko Taro game, just with solid Platinum combat instead of hot trash, right down to the inane side quests and grinding weapon upgrade materials and story of pure suffering. Wouldn't have it any other way :unsmigghh:

I've had none of those issues so far (knock on wood), maybe because the whole thing downloaded before I started playing, or I'm just lucky.

Agree that this is very fun, and very Yoko Taro so far. Also, did you know there's no auto save? THERES NO AUTO SAVE

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I imagine starting on hard is the way to go if you are a platinum fan first, nier fan second. I recall several interviews saying fans of nier shouldn't be intimidated by platinum making it, so makes me think normal will be kinda a cakewalk.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Whoa that's good to know. just slapped that puppy with the old 1-2 factor auth. I'm gonna go try it it out. Hopefully it's done downloading. ugh and i got work tomorrow so I hope I don't get too lost into it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I take it, this game is good. But as a guy who never was into Platinum's games in general, this a good buy?

I mean, I like numbers going up, and that's one of the things I noticed in the OP.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

widespread posted:

I take it, this game is good. But as a guy who never was into Platinum's games in general, this a good buy?

I mean, I like numbers going up, and that's one of the things I noticed in the OP.

This is coming from my knowledge if the series and the demo, as I haven't played the retail version yet, but I think this hinges in what you mean by never being "into Platinum's games in general." Numbers will go up, but I would recommend playing the demo to see if the action-oriented combat jives with you.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

widespread posted:

Seconding play the demo, but know that the actual game is a lot more RPG than the demo. The demo is a fairly linear dungeon that you blow through like a character action game (with some awesome Nier camera twists), while the game itself is a lot more chill, open world RPG stuff.

EDIT: I need one more dented plate to upgrade this stupid sword and it's not dropping. The guys in the desert drop those right?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wait, poo poo. There's a demo? Hot drat, see y'all in a bit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

widespread posted:

Wait, poo poo. There's a demo? Hot drat, see y'all in a bit.

The actual game is out if you're willing to buy through the HK or JP PSN store. Full English and everything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Evade range up chips are awesome.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Genocyber posted:

The actual game is out if you're willing to buy through the HK or JP PSN store. Full English and everything.

Oh. Yeeeeeah, I was gonna see if there's a demo on Steam first.

Or is the Steam port not coming out.

Edit: I gotta go to the PSN Store, it ain't out on PC yet.

widespread fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 24, 2017

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

widespread posted:

Oh. Yeeeeeah, I was gonna see if there's a demo on Steam first.

Or is the Steam port not coming out.

A PC release has been confirmed but the exact release date has been a cluster gently caress of mixed messages to the point that at the moment, no one has any idea at all when it's going to release on PC.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
There's still no Steam release date but a trailer mistakenly had a Steam release date of March 10 in it that has since been removed. Hopefully the actual release date won't be too long delayed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's an auto mode that plays for you if all you want to do is put gear on your character and let it rock.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

There's an auto mode that plays for you if all you want to do is put gear on your character and let it rock.

There is a part of me that hopes that is a requirement for one of the endings.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So like, no specific spoilers here, and I'm not very deep into the game yet anyway, and I know this is a crazy thing to say for a Yoko Taro game, but I'm starting to get the feeling that -- just maybe -- we're not ENTIRELY the good guys here.

Also the soundtrack to this game is incredible.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 24, 2017

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
OST already up on youtube I have to really be strong here I can't risk spoilers I just have to wait until it arrivNOPE WILLPOWER GONE HIT ME UP KEIICHI

God, it's so good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

arisu posted:

Seconding play the demo, but know that the actual game is a lot more RPG than the demo. The demo is a fairly linear dungeon that you blow through like a character action game (with some awesome Nier camera twists), while the game itself is a lot more chill, open world RPG stuff.

EDIT: I need one more dented plate to upgrade this stupid sword and it's not dropping. The guys in the desert drop those right?

i get them from the little flyers pretty regularly (in any location)

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 24, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Meiteron posted:

OST already up on youtube I have to really be strong here I can't risk spoilers I just have to wait until it arrivNOPE WILLPOWER GONE HIT ME UP KEIICHI

God, it's so good.

Taro and Okabe were just a match made in heaven

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Augus posted:

Yes, but it does mean we'll probably never get a soundtrack like Drakengard's again and that's just a shame.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mrfishstick posted:

A PC release has been confirmed but the exact release date has been a cluster gently caress of mixed messages to the point that at the moment, no one has any idea at all when it's going to release on PC.

It's really worrying because I want to get the steam version, but if we're never getting it or if it's like a year delayed or something I'll just buy the PS4 version. But I don't want to buy the PS4 game only to find out PC is coming out like a week later.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Digged what I played so far but I did run into some technical things. First of even though the game claimed to be downloaded I still had odd frame stutters and at some point during the part that was in the demo it slowed my character down and a message popped up mentioning the game downloaded.

Then during the first open world section I'd have occasional texture flash in the center screen for no reason. Oh and during a random fight with some mooks on an overpass I did a slam attack that phased me straight through the geometry.

When will it allow me to save? I think I need to do an integrity check or whatever it is called on ps4. :shepface:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it should've asked you if you wanted to save after the intro, and then you should be able to save normally if you're out in the world. is it actually downloaded all the way or just what you need to start it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, the thread OP needs to mention to let all 50gig download before you start and then have the title updated tell people to read that. That or just have it as NieR: Automata - LET ALL 50 GIGS DOWNLOAD OR IT DOESN'T WORK or summet

Augus posted:

They're teaming up on Sinoalice, the mobile game that S-E announced a couple of days back... so basically, it's going to be the first mobile game I'll ever play.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol you can flash your light at robots to make them upset like it's god hand

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lets hang out posted:

lol you can flash your light at robots to make them upset like it's god hand

I was wondering what the taunt button was. There are chips to buff your and their attack by at least 240% when you do it. :getin:

Taro and Saito have confirmed they're working on a patch for bugs and stuff already.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

lets hang out posted:

it should've asked you if you wanted to save after the intro, and then you should be able to save normally if you're out in the world. is it actually downloaded all the way or just what you need to start it?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Honestly, the thread OP needs to mention to let all 50gig download before you start and then have the title updated tell people to read that. That or just have it as NieR: Automata - LET ALL 50 GIGS DOWNLOAD OR IT DOESN'T WORK or summet

They're teaming up on Sinoalice, the mobile game that S-E announced a couple of days back... so basically, it's going to be the first mobile game I'll ever play.

Like I said the game claimed to be downloaded. I set the download in the morning and when I got home it claimed the entire thing was installed. It's the strangest thing.

It did give me a moment to save. It literally informed me it was now possible in the area right after the demo. Now back in the overworld the quick save option is greyed out again. Oh well I'll tinker with it later.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Weird. I also mean it just generally too though, people needs to know.
I've been lucky so far and had no issues, but I get stutters when I'm crossing loading boundaries, which is expected.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'll add it now :)

Anything else anyone wants me to add to the OP? Like, important need to know stuff?
My copy isn't arriving til 10th March :negative:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 24, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I recall people saying it is a good idea to read the manual for this game. Is there already one available in english? Might be an idea to link in the op if it exists.

So far I could figure out a decent amount of things with experimenting. One of the initial things that tripped me up is how the combo's work in this game. It's not too dissimilar from other games, but some of the details are quite different from say DMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mindblast posted:

I recall people saying it is a good idea to read the manual for this game. Is there already one available in english? Might be an idea to link in the op if it exists.

So far I could figure out a decent amount of things with experimenting. One of the initial things that tripped me up is how the combo's work in this game. It's not too dissimilar from other games, but some of the details are quite different from say DMC.

I don't believe there is a good manual for skill sets, but you can look at a demo moveset guide like this. It doesn't cover spears or fists, but you can take the inputs, look at their effects and then use these to go forward yourself. The spear and fists don't use massively different inputs.

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7m8A5wcOpQI

Polsy'd to help avoid spoilers. Video is from the demo so it won't spoil the game itself beyond the scope of the demo.