Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dutton's gonna win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

norp posted:

Do they really think that dutton is a good choice?

Yeah, they genuinely do. He's been floated as leadership material for years, and there's a reason he's still in cabinet.

I'm not joking.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I guess this is the party that put Abbott in charge so it certainly shouldn't surprise me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fkn do it. PM Dutton, the final destruction of the oblate spheroid.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Its says a lot about your party if a mad monk and a potatohead are your top leadership contenders.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Morrison would have been the Tories' first choice had he not supported Turnbull over Abbott (and done a poo poo job as treasurer)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Morrison would have been the Tories' first choice had he not supported Turnbull over Abbott (and done a poo poo job as treasurer)

He's a "moderate", always suspect, despite trying his best to be a hardarse. Its the mute smirking indifference that marks Dutton as a winner over Morrison.

One thing's for sure, it's destroying the presidential PM convention more surely than anything else I'd hoped. Which only makes elections harder for the parties.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
What happens if he sprouts in office?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The back bench are more concerned about him turning green if anything. They'll need to keep him out of the sun.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He was because he was the pre-Dutton abuser of refugees, essentially whoever has that portfolio is their choice for PM.

I'm sure there are Labor voters still pining for Chris Bowen by saying "look how good he is as shadow treasurer" whilewilfully ignoring how he was another refugee abuser. Long live the Malaysia Solution.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
When you are driving a clown car does it actually matter who is at the wheel?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Literally never before has this comic been more appropriate:

(ignore the panel about the wife, it doesn't apply here)

:gary::yarg:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
That photo looks like he's in the middle of making the sound a giant potato crushing all in its path would make. Duzzh. Duzzh. Duzzzh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I was rewatching the Sky News coverage of the Liberal Leadership Spill on youtube a while back and whenever Dutton was mentioned as a leader people would crack up laughing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
At one point Peter van Onselen jokes makes a joke that Peta Credlin is texting Paul Murray and Paul Murray gets lovely with him because Peta Credlin actually was texting him.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I hope Dutton becomes PM and then loses the ensuing election by a landslide so we can use the #putoutyourpeelers tag

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

That's the only upside I can see from a Dutton-led government actually

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Deadly Hume posted:

That's the only upside I can see from a Dutton-led government actually

At least he wouldn't be Minister for BORDER FORCE any more

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I know of another laughed at politition who was predicted to lead his party to a crushing defeat :getin:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'm pretty sure PM Dutton would just be a somehow even worse Abbott.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

I'm pretty sure PM Dutton would just be a somehow even worse Abbott.
He wouldn't even have Abbott's eccentricities, like eating onions or stealing waves.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Politics is full of catastrophic debacles and tragedies that nonetheless finish up in weed-covered, neglected dead ends.

The Soviet Union comes to mind. All that work. All that butchery. All those millions killed. And then pffft! It was gone.

Similarly, Tony Abbott. Okay, not the millions dead, but what an utter destructive force, an utter waste of space this man has been on the Australian political landscape.

Can you remember anything positive that he has contributed to our polity that has not involved tearing something down? Even as a minister there is not much to recommend him.

He oversaw the introduction of a so-called private sector run employment market that was supposed to ensure that all the government subsidies went to those most in need of assistance. It has never, ever worked like that. Still doesn't.

Health Minister? Well, no-one remembers anything particularly positive there either.

Having torn down his leader in Opposition, he unleashed a feral – and deadly – negativism on Australian politics from which we have never really recovered.

So firmly set on a path of destruction, he set about making everything in his prime ministership a negative and ended up destroying himself.

You might think that at some point there might have been a moment of midnight reflection. But no.

Tony Abbott has continued on his destructive path, not just trying to destroy the man who replaced him but being happily prepared to burn the government of which he is allegedly a part, and some of his closest colleagues at the same time.

All in the truly deluded name of policies that he didn't have the political ability to implement when he was prime minister but which he still thinks might win votes.

Abbott's latest intervention has only had the effect of finally bringing out those who have been most admirably loyal to him - like Mathias Cormann - to call him on his disingenuous, hypocritical and dishonest policy critiques of the current government.

The other own goal of this latest speech is that it has finally freed the prime minister to give an honest appraisal of what his predecessor didn't achieve, and point out that he has, in fact, achieved things that eluded Abbott.

"We are acting and we are getting things done which we couldn't, wouldn't or didn't get done in the last Parliament," Malcolm Turnbull said on Friday.

"I haven't talked about reintroducing the rule of law to the building sector, I've done it.

"I've had the courage, not to give speeches, but to act."

The shame of it is that, as is always the case, Abbott leaves a stinking pile of loopy policy ideas steaming on the footpath – ranging from cutting immigration to the renewable energy target – that others will have to go to some considerable trouble to avoid, or, worse, being the sort of populist nonsense they are, be adopted by those profferring simplistic solutions.

This was all done under the deluded contention that the political debate in Australia has been hijacked by the Left.

Backed by the tailwind of a gushing and fawning conservative media, Abbott had every opportunity to set a new highwater mark for the right in Australia.

But as his own conservative colleagues publicly abandon him, it is a sign of Abbott's utter failure that he has even made this unfashionable.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He wouldn't even have Abbott's eccentricities, like eating onions or stealing waves.
eating an onion would be getting close to cannibalism anyway

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

This was all done under the deluded contention that the political debate in Australia has been hijacked by the Left.

Backed by the tailwind of a gushing and fawning conservative media, Abbott had every opportunity to set a new highwater mark for the right in Australia.

But as his own conservative colleagues publicly abandon him, it is a sign of Abbott's utter failure that he has even made this unfashionable.

Just taking this on its own merits outside of any context:

A significant part of the base believes this. He would not be encouraged in this view without a bubble big enough to reinforce it.

Media has of course shifted drastically right under the pretense (to themselves) that they represent the middle.

But people like Dutton are of the absolute same worldview and bubble.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

This but louder and drunker.

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013
It makes me angry that the TV is going to pretend the mad monk was a great dude when Tony Abbott dies in like 40 years time.

poo poo. When Howard goes, you know they're going to trot out footage of some old bint with a purple loving hat who'll use the phrase "that nice Mister Howard" in her five second grab.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

FuckenPunchOn posted:

It makes me angry that the TV is going to pretend the mad monk was a great dude when Tony Abbott dies in like 40 years time.

They're going to do something really annoying like say 'love him or hate him, you couldn't ignore him' just like they will when Pauline Hanson's brain stem finally leaps out and strangles her.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Face it, penalty rates are a hangover from a bygone era

The politically inconvenient truth is that penalty rates are a hangover from a bygone era that costs tens of thousands of jobs and cripples businesses small and large.

John Slater is executive director of the HR Nicholls Society.

Lol

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The feudal system and tutelage is clearly the agile way forward. It will result in a more productive work life balance.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuckenPunchOn posted:

poo poo. When Howard goes, you know they're going to trot out footage of some old bint with a purple loving hat who'll use the phrase "that nice Mister Howard" in her five second grab.

In 40 years time there will be no TV and only a bunch of mad monk memes on YouTube.

In a thousand years time after the great burning the History Man will recount how Australia was a theocracy gripped by the wars of the Mad Monk and the Banker Man.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I've been trapped in a meeting all day.

Did we find a new way to gently caress low paid workers over today?

Cartoon posted:

When you are driving a clown car does it actually matter who is at the wheel?
Feels like you've lost your edge.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Graic Gabtar posted:

I've been trapped in a meeting all day.

Did we find a new way to gently caress low paid workers over today?

*enters LNP party room and puts on thinking cap*

What if... we had unpaid internships for baristas and hospitality workers?

*chuckles into brandy, lights cigar*

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

So what the gently caress's happening with the NBN?
There was going to be a FttN cabinet-thing installed near me some time mid this year. But according to the NBN website I'm now not getting connected until the end of 2020?
Has it got something to do with this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Today is poo poo on Tony Day:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/835029240156319744

https://twitter.com/Kieran_Gilbert/status/834856275397652480

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/834881712890925056

https://twitter.com/David_Speers/status/834921467313709057

https://twitter.com/fryan/status/834979965749846016

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/835035335734153219

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/835033899289849856

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/835036506867683329

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/835073372534923264

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/834963984973340672

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/834963180187111424

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/834923773174304768

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/834913022078406657

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/834920078235729920

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Reluctant PM...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JBP posted:

Dutton's gonna win.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wait he still has the support of.... Eric Abetz?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What's the Lib spill procedure? Would love to see Abbott make a move only to get single figure support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
This is crass as gently caress coming from NTATA. Even when Abbott was being spilled Turnbull had the decency to deny he was spilling him until it was over. Libs are feeling vulnerable and sensitive (and dare I say shook) after Corey's ratfuck I'm not surprised at all this backfired so badly.

• Locked thread