Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just got the March issue of WI, which is a full-on Flames of War issue for V4. Guess I'll learn more about it.

In the introduction, the editor goes on and on about how it's totally not just a big ad for FoW, despite what the perception may be. Of course, they're owned by Battlefront, and I don't believe I've ever seen them be critical of FoW, so I can only imagine where that perception comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think they sold it off again a while back.

ETA: not that you're wrong about them and criticism. They never really seem to actually be negative about anything at all.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

I think they sold it off again a while back.

Did they? Interesting.

E: Yep: http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/wargames-illustrated-under-new-ownership/

quote:

ETA: not that you're wrong about them and criticism. They never really seem to actually be negative about anything at all.

Where the hell am I supposed to go for my hard-hitting wargames journalism!?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ is FoW actually a good game? I've never seen it cast in a favourable light on any discussion about it.

So, would anyone be interested in CoC Video batreps/aar's? I see there are loads of the latter on the 2FL forums but there's precious little youtube content to consume.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

^ is FoW actually a good game? I've never seen it cast in a favourable light on any discussion about it.

So, would anyone be interested in CoC Video batreps/aar's? I see there are loads of the latter on the 2FL forums but there's precious little youtube content to consume.

:justpub:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well yes, but I reckon the average game takes about 1.5hrs for me - and if I'm doing filming with cuts and annotations it'll probably be multiple hours of work so I just want to see if anyone would actually bother watching...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Colonial Air Force posted:

Did they? Interesting.

E: Yep: http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/wargames-illustrated-under-new-ownership/

Where the hell am I supposed to go for my hard-hitting wargames journalism!?
I like Miniature Wargames with Battlegames. It's not exactly hard hitting but they'll at least say "I liked these rules, except for <list of things> all of which I house ruled".

Southern Heel posted:

It is solidly in the realm of "good enough" to get an enjoyable evening out of turning up with your mans and smashing them into the mans your friend brought, whoever they might be. As a first step away from the prepackaged game setting/system combos it's a good one.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

FoW is a great transition game for those coming from things like 40k.

Southern Heel posted:

Well yes, but I reckon the average game takes about 1.5hrs for me - and if I'm doing filming with cuts and annotations it'll probably be multiple hours of work so I just want to see if anyone would actually bother watching...

I'd watch it, yes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I am willing to get my fix of coc any way necessary :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Same, absolutely.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
For 40k or former 40k grogs, Geoff formerly of the Independent Characters and myself are starting a podcast. We've talked about it for months and we're finally doing technology stuff for it. We're both still hyper casual 40k players but mostly historical and offbrand fantasy players now.

Anyway, we're going to record our first episode next month, and Rich C from TFL agreed to be on for an interview. I've been hammering the hell out of SP lately so I'm really happy to talk to him about that, but any goon questions for him would be great. I'm not super familiar with CoC yet but I can definitely work on that. Anyway if you have any cool questions about TFL, their process etc post em up!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Southern Heel posted:

Would definitely watch super awesome WW2 mans actions.

Also, if you did a demo/learning game, I'd be all over that. The series that TFL did isn't the most comprehensive or clear....

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arquinsiel posted:

I like Miniature Wargames with Battlegames. It's not exactly hard hitting but they'll at least say "I liked these rules, except for <list of things> all of which I house ruled".

It is solidly in the realm of "good enough" to get an enjoyable evening out of turning up with your mans and smashing them into the mans your friend brought, whoever they might be. As a first step away from the prepackaged game setting/system combos it's a good one.

Yeah, it's good enough, it's modular enough and allows for pick up games with no extra input other than point level and period, which is something most historicals lack. It's also large scale but still has 1:1 representation of troops and tanks which has some appeal.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arquinsiel posted:

Back to Miniature Wargames now, and it's lost something in the transition. Hopefully Treadaway gets it sorted out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Back to Miniature Wargames now, and it's lost something in the transition. Hopefully Treadaway gets it sorted out.
I didn't even notice that. Huh.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Ok then, long answer: Yes, I'd probably watch them. When it comes to YouTube battle reps of minis games they have to be 1) properly condensed. I don't have the attention span or the patience to sit down and watch a barrel for 20 mins. or more, unless it's really well done. 2) be with all painted minis. The visual spectacle is what I watch videos for, and looking at bare metal or grey plastic brings that down for me. Having some at least decent terrain is also important. Fighting over stacks of books or a cereal box will get me to instantly close the video. 3) Have decent production. Using arrows and still pictures of the entire table, or only taking shots from the same side of the table, or anything that makes sure I can maintain a decent overview of the action is helpful.

I've noticed that batreps which lack some or all of the above are the ones I'll usually not watch all the way through. Dunno if that list is helpful or demoralising to you

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Oh, that's a point. I'm not as much a stickler for painting and terrain but I definitely watch battle reports to follow the tactics and movements used rather than to watch guys roll dice and push figures around. Obviously those things are fine to see in a tabletop video, but you can skip every bit where you roll for wounds and remove three figures or move everything 5" into a building or the like and just say "three men died" or "the strelk entered the building" and ideally "this gave me a stronger position to defend against any reinforcements across the north because of the high cover bonus" or something so I'm following the rationale.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Numlock posted:

Pretty much accurate.

BF will send stuff out for play testing with the idea that it's more or less finished and when play testers raise issues they will dismiss them with "MAybe in your meta ps your dumb herp derp".

oh hey it's the GW approach to game dev

murder all british devs

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

murder all british devs

Battlefront is from New Zealand though :ssh:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so just so I'm clear - the feels are that it'd be good to watch, with the following caveats:

- tactical view rather than cinematic*, with less minutiae i.e. rolling (* or with a standard map view to supplement close-ups, etc.)
- Less than 30m or so per batrep
- All painted and scenicked

Is it important to have a second player discussing/narrating - or am I clear for after-the-fact voice-overs?

Enentol posted:

Would definitely watch super awesome WW2 mans actions.

Also, if you did a demo/learning game, I'd be all over that. The series that TFL did isn't the most comprehensive or clear....

I have heard many times that teaching/explaining is a great way to reinforce what you already know but I don't know if I'm the best person to be instructing anyone tbh. I can give it a shot though, in parallel/before the more slick batreps planned above.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 24, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've done a batrep video (I have no natural light in my dining room, an d I don't know if the lighting would work.) but I have watched a good number, and while my tastes might be different to everyone else's, I can give a few comments.

1) Don't just do end of turn updates. this is a real bug bare, just looking at a table and someone going "yeah, the Germans pushed up here and shot up my men...." doesn't give you a feel for the flow of the game.
2) Don't show movement - unless its a quick eye level shot of your tank rolling down a street. it also goes without saying that none of the thinking or chatting should be in a video.
3) Don't eliminate all dice rolls - but don't show them all - basically just show the shooting rolls and and morale checks. these are the key, exiting ones.

You've covered the others though.

Good luck. I should really try my camera out to see what it looks like. but most of my stuff is 6mm, and I'm not sure how that would work video wise.
Its that or try and find time to fight a battle over roll20 and record it that way.

EDIT - goes without saying I would watch...

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 24, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
You could do a lot worse than Guerilla Miniatures Games for your batreps.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Oh sure just link some of the best BatRep channels on YT. No problem, I'm just a dude with some chipboard and a spare room so maybe expectations should be set a little lower? :)

Illumination is going to be a big issue I think - making some videos about playing music and so on is very easy to underestimate how bright the environs are for people creating video content. I can only imagine it would be even more important for 6mm since the objects are so small.

- End of turn summaries are a no-go by default, I hate that.
- With a tripod I'm likely to include movement, and important dice rolls.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I personally really enjoy everything about Miniwargaming: the lighting, the banter, the painted stuff.

It's really fuckibg annoying when a batrep is done in some basement with no lightibg, lovely sound and the host is some oily nerd in a dirty white shirt.

I think something like 2FLs How To Play CoC would be good.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
As for FoW4, Breakthrough Assault swallowed it whole, hook, line and sinker

quote:

"Firstly I doubt we will see the same gun lines sitting there, you can’t afford to be full blown infantry with one mobile asset because cheap mortars are going to blow you apart. You can’t just have a park of heavy and medium arty because it can’t kill tanks (big change there). If you see where I am going, it’s that wonderful word…diversity. "

That doesn't sound like diversity, that sounds like tanks all day, all night.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't mind the design direction of artillery being more specialized toward killing infantry than tanks because it made it too versatile and really messed with the EW point cost scale in particular.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

^ Oh sure just link some of the best BatRep channels on YT. No problem, I'm just a dude with some chipboard and a spare room so maybe expectations should be set a little lower? :)

Illumination is going to be a big issue I think - making some videos about playing music and so on is very easy to underestimate how bright the environs are for people creating video content. I can only imagine it would be even more important for 6mm since the objects are so small.

- End of turn summaries are a no-go by default, I hate that.
- With a tripod I'm likely to include movement, and important dice rolls.

Yeah totally, don't mean to drive by and poo poo on your idea. Though for all their production values, it's still mostly a dude hand holding a camera.

Lighting is a jerk, because your eye is way more sensitive than most cameras. Use your tripod to get a good overview, and cut to any fun moments, cool charges or shots and such.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'd watch the poo poo out of a good battle report on YouTube.

It'd have to be well edited, well lit, and heavy on the exciting narrative. Start with a high level overview, lay out the basic plan, then cut in to each cool contact. At the end of the turn pull back, give another overview and continue. Ideally it'd be condensed into 15 minutes or less.

I tried watching some Star Wars : Armada battles that were "professionally" produced and they were about as lovely to watch as some dirty nerd in his basement. The only difference is they were lit better. The good ones I've seen are an edited, condensed narrative and not a stream of consciousness ramble over 2 hours of dice rolling and heavy breathing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
One thing I can tell you from doing RPG vids on youtube, is check your sound - record some bits, move around the room - there is nothing like talking for two hours only to realize you sound like your three miles away.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Forums Terrorist posted:

murder all british devs

To be Fair to BF even at their worst they are far from even coming close to GW in terribleness.

JcDent posted:

I think the author ment a different thing by diversity than what you took it to mean.

There are a handful of "good" lists that sat at the top of the power curve that you needed to use if you wanted to win tournements and then there was everything else. Naturally people played these lists more than anything else because who hates losing? Especially all the time which is what is going to happen if you don't run a good list. Now it wasn't impossible to beat them but you were facing a uphill struggle for sure. A lot of these good lists were infantry based gun lines with the rest being auto attacking tank lists ment to alpha strike you and win on turn 2.

So I take it he ment that there would be less of this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

On the topic of FoW4, the new rulebook is free if one has the V3 book, but only if you go to a local store. I don't have a local store. Am I boned?

E: Hmm....

quote:

But I don’t have a Friendly Local Gaming Store (or my store no longer exists)!

First, don’t worry! As I said before, this is not the first time we have done this. You can contact our customer service team, send us a picture of your rulebook and tell us where you bought it from. We will sort you out one way or another, either by sending you a copy directly or letting you know the location of another nearby store that you can go to.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think I might be boned anyway, I got a bunch of campaign books direct from them on sale a year or so ago, and the rulebook I have is from a 2012 Open Fire! box I got on the internet from a store who won't stock them anymore

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I can't seem to find out if I can get a free v4 rulebook if I only have the softback A5 version of v3. Am I blind or stupid (or both)?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The article in WI said even the soft rulebook that was free from the V2 to V3 campaign counts.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:getin:

Time to go annoy the FLGS I suppose.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's also free early/late war update books, which I'm a little confused about. Either way I'm planning to drive to a "local" launch event and see what I can get.

If it's hot garbage, the basing scheme works for IAMSM3 or Blitzkrieg Commander, right? BKC was also due a new edition IIRC.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Panzeh posted:

I don't mind the design direction of artillery being more specialized toward killing infantry than tanks because it made it too versatile and really messed with the EW point cost scale in particular.

The reason arty in EW was balls was it had good direct AT values, that rarely got any use because most arty is immobile and super-vulnerable.

JcDent posted:

Certainly heavy tanks are going to be nightmarish. The only real counter to EW Matildas was pioneers and air/arty, both of which are going to be gone in updates and the latter of which is heavily nerfed now. Infantry definitely look kind of mediocre from the MW briefings they've published so far.

Numlock posted:

I think the author ment a different thing by diversity than what you took it to mean.

There are a handful of "good" lists that sat at the top of the power curve that you needed to use if you wanted to win tournements and then there was everything else. Naturally people played these lists more than anything else because who hates losing? Especially all the time which is what is going to happen if you don't run a good list. Now it wasn't impossible to beat them but you were facing a uphill struggle for sure. A lot of these good lists were infantry based gun lines with the rest being auto attacking tank lists ment to alpha strike you and win on turn 2.

So I take it he ment that there would be less of this.

Just the "you need to take objectives to win" change would do that, though, since you can't just sit and crater the other side of the table anymore.

Plus infantry lists without loads of arty sucked.

EDIT: Okay, infantry lists without arty and without going so heavy on tanks it's basically a defence-priority tank list.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

spectralent posted:

Plus infantry lists without loads of arty sucked.

EDIT: Okay, infantry lists without arty and without going so heavy on tanks it's basically a defence-priority tank list.

I've had some really good results with mechanized infantry, especially the Germans. I found it to be a best-of-both-worlds scenario where you have the mobility to take objectives, and then the resilience of infantry. Once you do that, you only need one or two tanks and a source of smoke to round out your options.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Kaza42 posted:

I've had some really good results with mechanized infantry, especially the Germans. I found it to be a best-of-both-worlds scenario where you have the mobility to take objectives, and then the resilience of infantry. Once you do that, you only need one or two tanks and a source of smoke to round out your options.

Yeah, but that's mech. Foot slogging infantry are for bringing loads of artillery or for making sure you have defensive priority with a tank list.

Or you're britain or japan and are going to hope the dice are kind and you get into assault by turn 2-3 and are on an objective before dawn breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

OK so just so I'm clear - the feels are that it'd be good to watch, with the following caveats:

- tactical view rather than cinematic*, with less minutiae i.e. rolling (* or with a standard map view to supplement close-ups, etc.)
- Less than 30m or so per batrep
- All painted and scenicked

Is it important to have a second player discussing/narrating - or am I clear for after-the-fact voice-overs?

I have heard many times that teaching/explaining is a great way to reinforce what you already know but I don't know if I'm the best person to be instructing anyone tbh. I can give it a shot though, in parallel/before the more slick batreps planned above.

This dude does some good playthroughs of boardgames. He posted a timelapse of his video recording on Scythe. His playthrough of that is like 1 hour long and it took him 8 hours of recording time. His quality is very good, his lighting is good, you can see everything, just a good look at how to do it right. Nothing worse than trying to learn some grog boardgame while a cell phone camera wavers about in poor lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaVf4CXCPz4