Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

going to be melting down folks to feed to effie

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that it's going to be better to melt down Effies to make protein shakes for other people. Wary fighter would make, for example, Julia virtually impossible to deal with evenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm starting to think F!Robin might not be worth it. Should I rank up my Felicia to a 4*?

No. F!Robin is a really bad unit, and if you just want her for collection purposes the 2* version should be fine. And even if she somehow turns out to be good later (blue horse-mage meta?), spending 200 feathers to upgrade Robin from 2 to 3 is still cheaper than spending 2000 feathers to upgrade Felicia.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 24, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Frobin is very likely a bonus unit in the next arena round though so it might be a good idea to level her up a bit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tired Moritz posted:

Should I rank up my Felicia to a 4*?

Yes, Glacies at 4* is brutal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

I actually think skill inheritance will break this and am salty about it beforehand, but in its current state f2p players can easily place in the top 5k worldwide, which is actually kind of insane.

On the one hand, we don't know much yet, and they've avoided the previous few times the game almost got wrecked, so I'm not entirely without hope...

On the other, yeah. I can see a lot of disaster coming down the pipe from this.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

akulanization posted:

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that it's going to be better to melt down Effies to make protein shakes for other people. Wary fighter would make, for example, Julia virtually impossible to deal with evenly.

unfortunately, those people are dummies who don't like effie

I got a Sully and I have a team with Effie and Sully now, which I will name team HELL YEAH

disappointed one of the robins didnt have a levin sword

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

On the one hand, we don't know much yet, and they've avoided the previous few times the game almost got wrecked, so I'm not entirely without hope...

On the other, yeah. I can see a lot of disaster coming down the pipe from this.

A lot of the best skills are on trash units. Fury is great and Hinata's useless rear end has it. Quick Riposte is on Subaki. If they don't make the process too onerous or random it wouldn't have to overly advantage whales; but I'm virtually sure it would break the game.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I wonder what all skills will be transferable; if it will only be specific ones or any skill carried by a character. Just being able to stick an action or support skill on a character that doesn't normally have one is insane; plus, the characters that lack B skills can get something too. Weapons are technically skills also :v:

I have a Lon'qu and I'm super excited to melt him to put Vantage on Lyn. Between Defiant ATK and Sol Katti giving her Brash Assault that poo poo is going to be bonkers.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heaven Spacey posted:

I wonder what all skills will be transferable; if it will only be specific ones or any skill carried by a character. Just being able to stick an action or support skill on a character that doesn't normally have one is insane; plus, the characters that lack B skills can get something too. Weapons are technically skills also :v:

I have a Lon'qu and I'm super excited to melt him to put Vantage on Lyn. Between Defiant ATK and Sol Katti giving her Brash Assault that poo poo is going to be bonkers.

Unless they heavily restrict transferring, poo poo is going to be really broken.

Like if supports skills were freely transferable all the whales would just put dance on every single team member.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Andrast posted:

Unless they heavily restrict transferring, poo poo is going to be really broken.

Like if supports skills were freely transferable all the whales would just put dance on every single team member.

You can't dance someone with dance or sing. 2 dancers and 2 units with draw back seems optimal.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Andrast posted:

You can't Dance other Dance units :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress, I forgot about that

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Well, DeNA's pretty restrained with whalebait, usually; I wouldn't be surprised if each character only has one skill in particular they can transfer, and furthermore I wouldn't be all too shocked if only lower ranks of skills could transfer (So I'd only be able to stick Vantage 2 on Lyn instead of Vantage 3 after melting Lon'qu, for example). In FF Record Keeper, another DeNA game, a mechanic called record diving was implemented a while back. It opened up new skills for characters; when it was announced people were thinking about all kinds of wacky builds they could do but the reality was much tamer than that and few characters got anything that drastically changed the way you used them. After getting over my initial surprise at the announcement I genuinely don't see this going any differently.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Andrast posted:

I hope someone does this and doesn't read the "fine"print about dance. The meltdown upon realisation would be pretty great.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm guessing skills can only be transferred between characters of the same color or the same weapon type. So you can give Lyn's Astra to Marth, but not to Effie, for example. Also you probably cant transfer the skill if you already have a skill in the same slot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I would imagine you can only give units skill in the a-b-c slot that's normally empty i.e. Subaki can only gain a C skill.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It's probably ABC skills between same colors/weapon types, yeah. Which would mean things like Brash Assault Lyn (guaranteed Sol Katti doubles on anyone) are fair game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

It's probably ABC skills between same colors/weapon types, yeah. Which would mean things like Brash Assault Lyn (guaranteed Sol Katti doubles on anyone) are fair game.

Also allows for Vantage Takumi from Gordin

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've been wondering for a while why people thought Camilla was bad, when mine has been brutalising basically everything in Arena.

Then I realised I'd rolled a +Attack -Res Camilla and it all became clear to me.

Also holy god Vantage takumi is going to be a loving nightmare. My usual tactic of Robin eating a Takumi attack and then counterattacking for the kill won't work any more.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Andrast posted:

Oh god.

MRobin will basically be mandatory to enter Arena.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Brash Assault Lyn will be the true Vantage Takumi counter. Tank a shot and then double him through the Threaten Spd next turn :getin:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just one-shot him with Nino, obviously.

Nino is the answer to most problems, actually.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
remember when people were sassing Nino before the game was released? good times

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just realized that checking every single unit for unexpected skills in arena is going to be really tedious, no matter what the restrictions on inheritance are.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Clarste posted:

Just one-shot him with Nino, obviously.

Nino is the answer to most problems, actually.

Neutral Atk Nino needs +12 Atk (so like Hone Atk 3 plus another buff) to one shot neutral HP/Res Takumi. Not ridiculous but not nearly as clean as Brash Assault Lyn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

Neutral Atk Nino needs +12 Atk (so like Hone Atk 3 plus another buff) to one shot neutral HP/Res Takumi. Not ridiculous but not nearly as clean as Brash Assault Lyn.

Well, more practically what happens is you get a Spd buff on Nino and double him. She'll live with 6 HP on average, but you probably won't need her to take any more hits. ...Especially if you give her Desperation.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Clarste posted:

Well, more practically what happens is you get a Spd buff on Nino and double him. She'll live with 6 HP on average, but you probably won't need her to take any more hits. ...Especially if you give her Desperation.

Oh right, Nino fast

Still, Brash Assault Lyn is gonna be strong and my good friend. OHKOing anyone with less than 102 EHP [WTA * (HP + 2*DEF)] means she one shots every major non-blue offensive threat in the game, which importantly includes all the important sword lords, Takumi, and even Linde.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 24, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Speaking of, here's another example for the guy upthread who was skeptical of neutral units, a freshly 40'd 5* Nino:

Unless I've misread two different sites, that's neutral values down the board.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yes it is. I have Nino's stats permanently burned into my eyes.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I've been wondering for a while why people thought Camilla was bad, when mine has been brutalising basically everything in Arena.

Then I realised I'd rolled a +Attack -Res Camilla and it all became clear to me.

Also holy god Vantage takumi is going to be a loving nightmare. My usual tactic of Robin eating a Takumi attack and then counterattacking for the kill won't work any more.

I'm pretty sure you can still do this. Takumi will need to be +atk nature with +atk and +spd buffs to do enough damage to kill Robin. And that's only if Robin is -def without +hp.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if vantage takumi becomes a thing i'm going to be real happy i 5*ed catria instead of sharena, but right now i'm mostly feeling buyers remorse

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Andrast posted:

I'm willing to bet they have to be the same rank too so you would have to spend 20k feathers to make gordin 5*.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fortunately I usually deal with Takumi in one round with Tharja so even if Vantage becomes a thing I'm mostly safe.

Nuebot posted:

I'm willing to bet they have to be the same rank too so you would have to spend 20k feathers to make gordin 5*.

That would actually be interesting since 4* with good custom abilities would probably often be better than a 5* for non-whales

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Vantage Takumi will be much better on offense than on defense because you can deal with him if you're prepared to ORKO him but expect lots of dumb AIs to mash themselves to bits against him.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Sadly, my Mrobin will be retired after this since the dumb gently caress has -spd. The extra def he got in return does almost nothing to help him survive. Instead, I've been using Ogma to alpha strike takumi's before they can get a shot off.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Is there a setting for the arena to allow people to attack you? I've never been attacked once, are people just scared of my sic Linde?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It only shows defensive wins. So your team has lost every time.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Is there a setting for the arena to allow people to attack you? I've never been attacked once, are people just scared of my sic Linde?

I run a Thraja team, so I'm near the end of a good streak I will likely choose intermediate over an advanced with Linde at the front, so yea maybe try changing your lead to a swordlord or something that anyone will bite on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I run a Thraja team, so I'm near the end of a good streak I will likely choose intermediate over an advanced with Linde at the front, so yea maybe try changing your lead to a swordlord or something that anyone will bite on.

You can cancel an arena match at easy/mid/advanced selection screen without losing your streak by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My Tharja is +attack -defense so I'm okay with that. She shouldn't be attacked first anyway.