Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Operant posted:

Once you realize that Conqueror's secret hero power is A loving Wall you can go totally super saiyan with him.

You can also side dodge into shield bash.

His super secret power is lightning fast light attacks that assassins dont ever expect from your lumbering rear end. That and his long range i dont see other conquerors using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone notice warden has an attack that shows left direction very briefly but then comes out right? Was playing 2v2 and thought I was imagining things but the other pubbie noticed it too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

Anyone notice warden has an attack that shows left direction very briefly but then comes out right? Was playing 2v2 and thought I was imagining things but the other pubbie noticed it too.

It's his zone attack. Hard to predict or block post feint.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

That's a bug, happens with all the fast zone attacks. Basically they start a heavy attack and then right after do the zone attack.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

panda clue posted:

Other people have explained why you're wrong.

No, they havent.

Explain again for me, with big boy words, why the assassin class should be able to get into a slug match, trading blows, with the heavy classes, and come out on top.

panda clue posted:

Balance is built around a hell of a lot more than "big guy move slow hit hard have big health, small guy move fast hit light have small health". Is that so hard to understand?

Yes what i posted was literally the only thing i thought was wrong, and not making a point about how hilariously powerful the assassins are.
Good job!

panda clue posted:

Also, looking at this post from you in this very thread

This post was from day 1. I had assumed (incorrectly) that assassin health pools were much smaller than what they are.
It is also wrong, the heavy attack does 40 damage (a unique only after a parry attack which only does 5 more damage then the orochi normal heavy), can be parried, and will only be a confirm if you manage to knock down the target with your parry.
The orochi top heavy is a 100% confirm off a GB btw.

panda clue posted:

it looks like you just got beat by a few Orochi's who are better than you and just came here to cry about it rather than Getting Good.

Yes one single orochi owned me so hard im salty for two weeks, and not just using him as the poster child character for this games enormous balance issues.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Double Monocle posted:

No, they havent.

Explain again for me, with big boy words, why the assassin class should be able to get into a slug match, trading blows, with the heavy classes, and come out on top.

because standing right in front of each other hitting each other with simultaneous attacks over and over isn't a thing that happens in the game you dense motherfucker

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I ran into an Orochi that was prestige 20. How the hell can you be that high already???

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Indecisive posted:

because standing right in front of each other hitting each other with simultaneous attacks over and over isn't a thing that happens in the game you dense motherfucker

That doesn't matter though? It's the fact that it's even possible that's dumb

I don't see why heavies should have slower and weaker attacks than assassins, in exchange for one or two light hits worth of health.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Indecisive posted:

Jesus h Christ do you really think that I'm suggesting this actually happens and not using it to prove a point about imbalanced HP pools/ damage?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain Beans posted:

Poor Raider.

Thanks for posting this though, I thought I was just poo poo at blocking quick attacks. But it turns out I'm just a retard who mains Raider and god drat you have to work for every single hit vs a good opponent.

I've found out that the stun tap ability (where you cancel a heavy attack by hitting light attack) works like a feint and can be used from any heavy attack direction. The stun always hits high but apparently they don't see that, they just see the direction you start the heavy attack with.

So start with a side heavy and tap light to switch it into a stun, then hit them with a tackle or the zone. You could swing at them but good players have been through realistic story mode and can read your posture.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
My favourite character in this game is the fat oni man and that elf from vermintide.

Least favourite is orochi but that's only because everyone plays him and I'm tired of feinting attacks to draw out parries every other match. Feinting gives me brain freeze if I have to do it too often.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What a beautiful weapon :japan:

FAUXTON posted:

I've found out that the stun tap ability (where you cancel a heavy attack by hitting light attack) works like a feint and can be used from any heavy attack direction. The stun always hits high but apparently they don't see that, they just see the direction you start the heavy attack with.

Having been victimized by this repeatedly, you do see it change to a top. However it doesn't seem like you can change your block fast enough to respond to that. At least, as Shugoki the recovery frames are too long. Maybe the ones with good frames can do it. If you have been blocking up the entire time then it can be blocked and parried like any other attack.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I ran into an Orochi that was prestige 20. How the hell can you be that high already???

Running 24/7

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Double Monocle posted:

Jesus h Christ do you really think that I'm suggesting this actually happens and not using it to prove a point about imbalanced HP pools/ damage?

panda clue posted:

Balance is built around a hell of a lot more than "big guy move slow hit hard have big health, small guy move fast hit light have small health".

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Your right panda, heavy characters make up for it by having the following advantages over assassins-

1-
2-
3-
4- rad looking armor

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

panda clue posted:

Balance is built around a hell of a lot more than "big guy move slow hit hard have big health, small guy move fast hit light have small health".

I've been playing lot of lawbringer and really would like to know what these other factors are? As far as I can tell his move set doesn't give him any kind of ege over the move sets of the faster character. Adding to that less damage output it seems like he's not well balanced.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's no way to expand the inventory of your characters right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I've been playing lot of lawbringer and really would like to know what these other factors are? As far as I can tell his move set doesn't give him any kind of ege over the move sets of the faster character. Adding to that less damage output it seems like he's not well balanced.

Right that's kind of the point here. Lawbringer IS terrible but "he loses to Orochi when alternating lights!" isn't really relevant to why.

He's terrible because speed is king with the way things are set up right now, he's slow as molasses, and he has like two confirms. And because he's a theoretically defensively oriented character yet has one of the worst guard switch frame speeds in the entire cast.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Double Monocle posted:

Your right panda, heavy characters make up for it by having the following advantages over assassins-

1-
2-
3-
4- rad looking armor

You seem awful angry about this.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Speed is always gonna be huge in fighting games because most people don't have super reactions and are gonna get owned by classes like wardens, PK's and orochis. Not because they have amazing movesets, but simply because they're fast which lets them get away with SO MUCH

Since there are parries, guardbreaks and blocks and dodges in this game, a guy like Lawbringer automatically ends up in a bad place because his attacks are slow and all the aforementioned tools can be used by most players to nullify his offense more comfortably.

Heavies like that need a gimmick like Shugokis super armor or conquerors bashing and smashing

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Speed is always gonna be huge in fighting games because most people don't have super reactions and are gonna get owned by classes like wardens, PK's and orochis. Not because they have amazing movesets, but simply because they're fast which lets them get away with SO MUCH

Since there are parries, guardbreaks and blocks and dodges in this game, a guy like Lawbringer automatically ends up in a bad place because his attacks are slow and all the aforementioned tools can be used by most players to nullify his offense more comfortably.

Heavies like that need a gimmick like Shugokis super armor or conquerors bashing and smashing

Those three have that as well though :v:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
slow they speed a little and it's generic moveset

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Right that's kind of the point here. Lawbringer IS terrible but "he loses to Orochi when alternating lights!" isn't really relevant to why.

But doesn't that just mean that he has worse damage output? Isn't that relevant?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Soft Shell Crab posted:

But doesn't that just mean that he has worse damage output? Isn't that relevant?

It is relevant to an extent. His biggest problem however is that his damage after a parry and GB is too low for what is meant to be a counter-attacker.

LB needs to have all of his attacks after a parry be confirmed hits (except maybe only have the top heavy be confirmed if it's a light parry). Right now there's no point using any of them because a regular GB into a heavy does more damage for a slightly higher stamina cost. The only exception is the light counter if your target is out of GB range after the parry.

Also make it so Long Arm gives a confirmed side heavy. Only getting a single light attack off a super easy to dodge attack that gives the enemy a free GB if you miss is pretty dumb.

Oh, also maybe give shove after block another input so you can actually punish Wardens after blocking their zone attack.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 24, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Dominion seems to be giving less XP now, was nearly hitting 800 the other night. Now I'm lucky to get 400.

Edit:

But I handled an orochi and nobushi solo as a valk and they were both impressed, yay me :haw:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 24, 2017

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Honestly the game needs more confirms if only for the sake of not making combos useless.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Double Monocle posted:

1-
2-
3-
4- rad looking armor

In case any noobs are reading the thread and think this guy isn't an idiot.
1. All three heavy characters have ways to easily end an assassins combos, whether it be omniblock or passive armor. These are also very useful against all classes.
2. All non-assassin classes have way more control of where they want the fight and the fights pacing with various zoning moves and tosses. Hybrids are the best at this, but heavies come in close second.
3. The assassins don't have any unblockables, which every other class has. The heavy classes have the best ones.
4. The heavy classes have easy, safe ways to ensure heavy attacks hit. Assassins get heavies in purely via player skill and luck.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't think the assassin class is the issue. No one is bitching about the berserker

Peacekeeper is overpowered though, I say this as a Peacekeeper. It's insanely easy to play and you will demolish everyone with bad reflexes

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

what the gently caress is this

ubisoft please

edit: i'm much more empathetic to the idea of "i can't block light attacks on reaction" now. i only really played kensei, orochi and warlord so i always had a fast guard switch and had no problems blocking stuff

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 24, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I don't think anything in this game makes me sadder than watching one of the light classes wind up into something obvious, doing Demon's Embrace, and yet sometimes it'll let them make the swing, take my Armour, then dodge back still in the animation of Embrace, and as a result it whiffs, costing me a truckload of health.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I've been having a lot of fun with this game and I like it a lot, but holy poo poo, they have GOT to do something about servers and connections. I've been trying to do Dominion orders for 30 minutes now and every time my team is about to win the game disconnects. It's incredibly frustrating.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
This is a fun game but the matchmaking is the worst I have ever experienced in a competitive game. Over and over I queue into games of newbies (me) versus multiple prestigers, I don't see how a healthily populated community is going to form with it like this.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
As a berserker main I've never had issues with oro pk or ward. I do however have trouble fighting conc war and shu. Game is good if you take the time to figure out how to get damage in on specific classes.

I just had a game were a prestige 4 conc was giving me trouble and by the last round I was able to kill him 3 times. I still lost but I learned what to do for the next time.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

why does this AAA $60 game have so many microtransactions

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Holy hell is the faction war going poorly for the knights all of a sudden. We're down to eight territories this morning, fellow tinheads.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
Just to abuse the hell out of heroic gear what should I max out when I hit rep 3 on my shugoki? There's videos of guys oneshotting peacekeepers when they swing in revenge mode. Seems salty.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i contributed to that

though i think ive been in matchmaking longer than ive been ingame so far

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zzulu posted:

slow they speed a little and it's generic moveset

Wardens vortex, mixup options via top light and zone, and crushing counterstrike ability do not constitute a generic moveset no. It is the best moveset currently in the game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Which gear stat is the best for funhaving? I'm thinking sprint speed just to run down people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kainser posted:

Which gear stat is the best for funhaving? I'm thinking sprint speed just to run down people.

Definitely throw distance. I've got that on my Shugoki, and together with the relevant trait I can bowl people down ledges from half a mile away.