Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Imperial Guard is the best 40k faction and there's like maybe one good video game where you can play as them, it's annoying as gently caress. It's like after DoW1 Relic forgot how to make IG fun, and every other 40k game is just a Space Marine circlejerk festival. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unpopular Opinion:

Despite the obvious lasting appeal of GTA online, GTAIV & GTAV were massive letdowns for me.

Nico was ok but his storyline doesn't really go anywhere. The Roman dies ending should be the only ending because it has depth and weight unlike the other ending, the relentless rep grind with your friends is awful, and to go from the pinks & blues of vice city or the oranges and greens of SA to the greyest most boring map ever...

Removing collectible rewards like spawning cool weapons & vehicles near your safe houses was the dumbest poo poo ever and DRAMATICALLY reduced my enjoyment of the franchise. I would hunt down every spray tag/hidden package in vice city/SA because it unlocked things I wanted to play with without having to cheat them in.

Do the pigeons in GTAIV do anything when you shoot all 100? What about the spaceship parts?

Then GTAV came out and I just do not understand why we need 3 protagonists to tell one half-cocked story, especially when one of the characters (Franklin) just kinda stops doing anything important less than halfway through the game.

The whole franchise has been 2 steps forward 1 back for years, GTA: San Andreas might never be dethroned as "best GTA"

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The Lost and Damned has one of the best-written stories in a video game, oddly enough. It's a retelling of Peter Pan in the context of a murderous meth biker gang, with nuanced themes of maturity, responsibility, and acceptance of aging.

Gay Tony had good characters, but didn't really go anywhere, and was comparatively completely unambitious.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zorodius posted:

The Lost and Damned has one of the best-written stories in a video game, oddly enough. It's a retelling of Peter Pan in the context of a murderous meth biker gang, with nuanced themes of maturity, responsibility, and acceptance of aging.

That's a shame because I was so burnt out on Nico's tale and the floaty-boat car controls that I never thought the DLC would be fun, but I've heard your opinion before and maybe one day I'll get it in a bundle and try it, but Nick can just drown in the East river for all I care.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

Bust Rodd posted:

That's a shame because I was so burnt out on Nico's tale and the floaty-boat car controls that I never thought the DLC would be fun, but I've heard your opinion before and maybe one day I'll get it in a bundle and try it, but Nick can just drown in the East river for all I care.

I also think the motorcycles are just more fun to drive, but YMMV.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Saints Row 2 is a better GTA game than every GTA game except SA.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
dark souls 2 is the best dark souls game

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

this is not the video game facts thread

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GTA games are boring as hell, the controls suck and the humor is mostly just sort of unpleasant.

e: didn't even realize I was posting this mid GTA discussion.

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Yeah this.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
They should just re-release VC and SA with a graphics updated, bug fixes and maybe even more licenced music.

HD re-releases are all the rage for other games, why not VC and SA

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
GTA4's driving controls were actually great, it's just that it handled like a driving sim, not an arcade game, which was totally alienating for a lot of players.

You're not supposed to floor the gas everywhere. So, keyboards are out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

GTA, as a franchise, has been getting worse and worse since the PS2 era, and even then SA is the only one that manages to be any better than aggressively mediocre.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zorodius posted:

GTA4's driving controls were actually great, it's just that it handled like a driving sim, not an arcade game, which was totally alienating for a lot of players.

I never actually played that one, I really meant all of the controls for everything, not the driving controls specifically. Playing a GTA game feels like playing Croc after years of 3D platformers that aren't terrible.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Zorodius posted:

This was what killed it for me. In SA I would usually blow up at least one car on the way to missions, so the first time I flew out the front of my car after plowing into someone in GTA 4 I was like "this is bullshit". I play the car stealing game to go fast and break the law, not be a good driver that actually uses the brakes.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Heaven Spacey posted:

Imperial Guard is the best 40k faction and there's like maybe one good video game where you can play as them, it's annoying as gently caress. It's like after DoW1 Relic forgot how to make IG fun, and every other 40k game is just a Space Marine circlejerk festival. :mad:

I'd love to play a bioware style game about the inquisition. Instead of a renegade interrupt you could have an execute heretic button during conversations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Wing Commander Saga was one of the best Wing Commander games in the franchise and it was just a fan project.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That was my point, there is no strategy or innovation involved, there is a defined set of "viable" builds and each one has an equally well-described counter to it and you either do it better than them or not. It all comes down to rock paper scissors in the end and there's no strategy involved in that.

that's not true though

like you're basically complaining that fencing has four stances and therefore you can never do anything new, or chess openings have been studied to death and therefore there are no unique problems to solve.

what's actually happening is you just never got good enough to pass entry-level tests of mastery

the one part of your post that's kind of accurate is that bad RTSes do have a "rock paper scissors" flaw, but that's why you play Brood War instead of some hard counter based garbage like Dawn of War or Red Alert 3 or whatever

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm addicted to GTAV's online mode like its crack

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

and you know all the guys who go "i don't give a gently caress about multiplayer i just want to get cheevos and build a big static base defense vs. the AI" are saying something perfectly fine and cool.

you don't have to be good at this poo poo if you don't want to, just if that's your deal don't pretend to understand how it works

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

and you know all the guys who go "i don't give a gently caress about multiplayer i just want to get cheevos and build a big static base defense vs. the AI" are saying something perfectly fine and cool.

you don't have to be good at this poo poo if you don't want to, just if that's your deal don't pretend to understand how it works

I do give a gently caress about multiplayer and never play the campaign. It has nothing to do with not understanding "how it works", it is just me saying the way it works is not fun or interesting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I do give a gently caress about multiplayer and never play the campaign. It has nothing to do with not understanding "how it works", it is just me saying the way it works is not fun or interesting.

you don't have to like it but literally everything in the post i quoted was factually incorrect

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i like video games

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i dont think i ever implied build orders are the extent of strategy at play in starcraft.

just that the game is extremely simplistic and it suffers because of that. thats part of the reason why build orders play such a huge role in the game. i dont think you can realistically deny either of those points.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if there were money or serious competition behind any of the heartbreaker RTSes to come out since the 90s they would be solved to the same degree of specificity (and would probably have fewer viable options than BW once they were)

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
imo, supcom perfected base building and starcraft really should have switched gears to copy it instead of sticking with the same old dune 2 formula that's been done to death since it very clearly is never going to increase the complexity of the combat in the series beyond "blob and utilize stims :colbert:"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i used to be way into both solo and multiplayer rts games but i genuinely am way burned out on high level play, and i can't just play those games like a doofus like i'm still 10. It's more fun to play a well built campaign and laugh at everyone dedicating time and effort to perfecting strategies just so they can say they defeated another player with their hardcore brilliant tactical mind.

I blame dota 2. Dota 2 killed the love.

I loving hate people who ruin otherwise good solo RTS play with a bunch of mechanics that suck rear end unless you're playing competitively

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

supcom is garbage that deliberately introduced lag to how fast units respond to you because they didn't want their game to be starcraft

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

flerp posted:

i like video games

now that's just going too far!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The problem is that pretty much nobody, from the lowest of the low in the bronze league all the way up, plays for fun. Everyone wants to become competitive at it.

In summary: e-sports is ruining games as a fun thing to play and turning them into something that feels like a job.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

planetary annihilation is a terrible game! this is probably a pretty good opinion just thought i'd say I bought it on sale and i still pretty much regret it!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The catfish is right. Building a big static base vs ai can be fun, but it's not an indication of the strategy part of the rts

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

competing is fun

i've mostly moved on to other genres more suitable for old man reflexes but Brood War is still probably my favorite game to watch because of the sheer virtuosity involved in good play (mostly in the form of mechanical skill but also, yes, creativity)

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if there were money or serious competition behind any of the heartbreaker RTSes to come out since the 90s they would be solved to the same degree of specificity (and would probably have fewer viable options than BW once they were)

the prospect of minmaxing something drops inversely and exponentially compared to the complexity of the game.

a game like MoW there is no real "prime" strategy because there are usually about 10 different ways to tackle a problem and each has their own drawbacks and advantages that are all roughly equal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

a game like MoW there is no real "prime" strategy because there are usually about 10 different ways to tackle a problem and each has their own drawbacks and advantages that are all roughly equal.

there's no "prime" strategy in starcraft either

the very early stages of the game are mapped out because there's a very limited amount of interference from the other player possible at that stage; as the possibilities grow, your own range of potentially meaningful responses grows and the more of those "10 different ways to tackle a problem" come into play

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

The problem is that pretty much nobody, from the lowest of the low in the bronze league all the way up, plays for fun. Everyone wants to become competitive at it.

They added in this co-op mission thing for pretty much that exact reason. Maybe it should've been there at launch? A better custom game browser definitely should've been.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

brood war is impressive to watch and i dont want to take away from the people who play like that, but that comes from an era in RTS games where the game was made to be fun, serious competition arose out of a fun game. Everything since has been trying to put that lightning in a bottle including sc2/expansions.

I can have a serious amount of fun playing the campaigns in starcraft, whereas in SC2 the campaigns are miserable shlock and the multiplayer is straight up more fun, but because it's built for competition and constantly developed around that central idea, it's kinda poo poo. There's no real option to 'take it easy' unless you like playing retarded modified maps and game modes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
starcraft and all RTS hits the sweet spot of poo poo. the matches are way to long to be a fun test of dexterity, yet the game is too shallow for interesting strategy.

if you want a dexterity game play fighting games, the matches are only 1-3min tops. if you want a strategy game play something turn based.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

supcom is garbage that deliberately introduced lag to how fast units respond to you because they didn't want their game to be starcraft

supcom vanilla is the superior game to starcraft due to that it basically improves on it in every single way while still retaining the same formula underneath it all. FA is worse because seraphim are stupidly overpowered and their T4 bomber was a mistake.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The catfish is right. Building a big static base vs ai can be fun, but it's not an indication of the strategy part of the rts

Base architecture is only half the battle in Supcom, though. 70% of the game is commanding multifront assaults with combined arms forces.

basic hitler posted:

planetary annihilation is a terrible game! this is probably a pretty good opinion just thought i'd say I bought it on sale and i still pretty much regret it!

this. i wanted to enjoy it, but it was boring and it's really unstable.

also they want me to pay like $40 for an expansion that introduces "totally not experimentals guys, oc donut steel" and im just like "lol"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

basic hitler posted:

brood war is impressive to watch and i dont want to take away from the people who play like that, but that comes from an era in RTS games where the game was made to be fun, serious competition arose out of a fun game. Everything since has been trying to put that lightning in a bottle including sc2/expansions.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. There's nothing wrong with becoming competitively good at a game, but games explicitly made to be the next top ~esport~ are usually leaving the fun part out of it. I don't blame the game companies for doing it because they are doing their job and making a ton of money, but it's hard not to be nostalgic for the time when there was minimal online multiplayer so games had to be fun if you wanted people to buy them.

And I mean, I realize there are people that genuinely have fun grinding up the ladder, but I could never get into that mindset even when I was younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

supcom vanilla is the superior game to starcraft due to that it basically improves on it in every single way while still retaining the same formula underneath it all. FA is worse because seraphim are stupidly overpowered and their T4 bomber was a mistake.

nah, it's poo poo that fails to actually understand any of the systems that made starcraft good. micro is more limited, base building puts less importance on distinctions of territory and terrain, it's slow and ungainly. the resemblance is incredibly superficial.

you might be able to make a case for Total Annihilation if you were serious about this but I never played enough TA to judge