Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
When even the LW team think your special reaction ability is A Bit Much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ruler reactions are great, they should give them to more units. :xcom:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Fangz posted:

Ruler reactions are great, they should give them to more units. :xcom:
A Better Advent has prime units, which get an action every time they take damage. The first sectopod I encountered was one of them. My AP + fan fire sharpshooters got a couple of their teammates killed before I figured that one out.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Walton Simons posted:

I mean, it would be completely ridiculous otherwise, since the infiltration mechanic almost guarantees encounters with rulers are never going be with your A-squad, but most likely your B or even C squad.

Now I know they don't use that logic for many other things or decide that nerfing psi ops to the ground at the start of development and then only starting to re-work them after the 1.0 build was finalized was a good idea, but I'll take what I can get.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Walton Simons posted:

Well it compounds. In vanilla you have a turn buffer and enemies are less prevalent so Rulers aren't an immediate death sentence and you can play around them.

In Long War they're likely to show up with packs of other enemies and the turn count is already stupidly tight.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Node posted:

What's the easiest way to 1) kill an alien ruler on the first encounter, and 2) kill an alien ruler that is escaping? i suppose it involves using free action abilities and frost bombs but I still dont see that being enough

1 is easiest done with the viper king. Wait until you have at least Mag weapons to do the nest mission and abuse your team's high damage and free moves to just beat the dude down. Alternatively, equip a bunch of repeaters. As mentioned frost bombs will give you 3 extra moves, and flashbangs will kinda make him wobble about while dazed. Level two swords/the ionic axe also have an incredibly convenient stun effect which will give you another attack or two to use and abuse on the dude. Just do your best to level the area.

2 is a lot harder though and comes down to pure luck. You have to get the leader down to low health and then succeed an overwatch shot on him. Yanno, when you haven't wasted turns on overwatch because that makes the assholes move more? I've found the best weapon is probably Bladestorm rangers (like Bradford!). Run up to the ruler to slap him about with your sword and laugh as when the ruler tries to move next turn your dude gets a free swing. As mentioned previously, works best with level 2 stun swords because then there's an additional chance you'll daze the ruler and you can hit them 1-3 more times.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bholder posted:

Pretty sure flashbang removes the portal.
does not, i tried this on snake dick the very first time i met him and the portal remained

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I found killing the Berserker Queen on first encounter the easiest. Somewhere between being covered in acid, poisoned, and being set on fire, she just kind of sits there and makes grumpy noises without doing anything.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Exposure posted:

I mean, it would be completely ridiculous otherwise, since the infiltration mechanic almost guarantees encounters with rulers are never going be with your A-squad, but most likely your B or even C squad.

The Rulers only showed up on corpse collection missions for me, so they encountered my A-team every time. All three of them made one of their appearances during an HQ assault as well. The Viper King nearly caused a squadwipe with his freeze ability during a pitched battle.

I do agree that the reaction chance needs to be higher, like 33% instead of 20-25% or whatever

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
When do the rulers show up in LW? I'm in September in my current game, and I haven't seen them yet. I've picked up the weapons you get from the DLC, but the investigation mission hasn't triggered.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lynx posted:

When do the rulers show up in LW? I'm in September in my current game, and I haven't seen them yet. I've picked up the weapons you get from the DLC, but the investigation mission hasn't triggered.

I think you have discover it through the "Find a Lead" thing in missions.

Not to be confused with "Find a lead" which unlocks the liberation missions.

And I may have Lead/lead backwards there.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Ornamented Death posted:

I think you have discover it through the "Find a Lead" thing in missions.

Not to be confused with "Find a lead" which unlocks the liberation missions.

And I may have Lead/lead backwards there.

Not "Find a lead", you need missions with "Intel Package" reward. But it'll happen much later than finding the weapons, probably around time you get to shadow chamber, it's connected to alien tech level.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lynx posted:

The DLC missions were set to spawn real late in the game because LW2. Lost Towers can't even show up until almost June, and then you need to get an Intel Package from a mission, and that Intel Package needs to roll a Scanning Site instead of a Facility Lead, and that Scanning Site needs to roll Alien Nest. RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG. Alien Nest doesn't have a chance to spawn until almost late September, and then it has to go through all the same checks - except Facility Leads are even more likely at that stage of the game. Some quality design work there.

Supposedly the missions are being moved up in LW2 1.2, but will still likely need the same RNG checks.

If you turn the DLC missions off you can build a SPARK immediately after you build the Proving Grounds, and Alien Rulers can pop as early as late April (I got the Viper King on my very first ADVENT HQ assault). I killed the Archon King around late September in my recently finished campaign.

If you want the story missions to pop earlier, open up C:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\Config\XComGame.ini, scroll down to [DLC_2.X2DownloadableContentInfo_DLC_Day60] and set the value there and for the next entry to whatever you want. Each Force Level is about 16 days if I remember correctly.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Does anybody have suggestions for mods? I'm mostly looking for quality of life improvements, like Gotcha Evolved, that help iron out any of the wrinkles. I'm also interested in any cool flavor mods that add customization or gearing options.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Apoplexy posted:

I don't think ammo items work on secondaries, sadly. Also, guess which mission decided it'd be a trap with Faceless civvies planted all around? THAT ONE! At least I busted 3 pods before one turned.

I'm confirming this. I just tried it now with a sharpshooter and faceoff, with poison rounds. Nobody got poisoned except maybe the first guy. The second target, a normal trooper, did not get poisoned. He didn't have a shield or any other weirdness. I guess a pistol getting benefits from secondary ammo is enough, having him poison six ADVENT is a little overpowered. Although it should work because its cool, damnit.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Does anybody have suggestions for mods? I'm mostly looking for quality of life improvements, like Gotcha Evolved, that help iron out any of the wrinkles. I'm also interested in any cool flavor mods that add customization or gearing options.

Progressive Armor Options + Less Anarchy (you can edit out the removal of various Anarchy's Children gear if you want) + Individual Arms + Capnbub's Accessories for customization, also More Armor Colors.

Additional Icons + Perfect Information + Gotcha Again for QoL stuff. Evac All and GREMLINs Grab Loot and Hack Plus also are great.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but I think the mission alien readiness scale that goes from impregnable to vulnerable relates to patrol tightness around the objective. Vulnerable means aliens will not be patrolling inside the room the objective is located. Normal means there will be a single pod near the objective possibly stationary. The only mission that always seems to have a pod on top of the objective is rescue a VIP from a van.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
While undocumented, I believe that to be the case as well.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_jI6KjmwMJMGxyR2FRcEdya3M/view Some new tips and tricks for LW2, straight from those who know it best.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Also, hey, best rendezvous mission ever. It popped after 2 whole days of my Squaddie Shinobi sitting as liaison, too. The Faceless himself ended up spawning inside a little cabin and refused to come out until I had everyone in overwatch just outside, ADVENT already dead.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wolfman101 posted:

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but I think the mission alien readiness scale that goes from impregnable to vulnerable relates to patrol tightness around the objective. Vulnerable means aliens will not be patrolling inside the room the objective is located. Normal means there will be a single pod near the objective possibly stationary. The only mission that always seems to have a pod on top of the objective is rescue a VIP from a van.

sounds about right compared to what i'm seeing. still in the beginning phases and did 2 vip missions past 2 days with extremely light enemy activity. first mission their readiness was vulnerable and only saw ADVENT soldier patrols with 1 sectoid. none of the patrols were really guarding the vip. did another vip mission where the readiness was normal, saw drones patrolling with advent, and there was one pod right on top of the vip. i didn't see any vipers once enemy activity went down to extremely light.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It finally happened to me. I thought y'all were just giant whiners about timers being too short and evac zones being in dumb places.

But (vanilla) I just had a "kidnap a VIP" mission on legendary in which the evac zone was literally on a rooftop that was only accessible by climbing to the top of the other side of the building.And also behind one of those giant glass ceilings so you couldn't even run down the center of the roof, but had to waste a turn going down one of the two sides.

Literally the last 5 turns of the mission were just full-out sprinting without any ability to fire back on the shieldbearer and officer took potshots. Killed my sharpshooter in the evac zone and I didn't even have an action to pick him up before evac.

I can't think of anything I could've done differently in that mission other than "have the entire squad outfitted in grappling hook armor" or "have a blaster bomb so I can blow up the evac zone in favor of literally any other area on the map."

This, after opening up an alien facility with only 2 hours left on the doom timer, and doing a mission that somehow had 2 goddamn sectopods in it. I thought it'd be the strategic layer's "surprise, every facility you need to hit is impossibly far away from your area and you'll need to go nuts with skulljacking" that'd get me. Now it might just be force understrength that does me in on the tactical level.

I love this game.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Are you sure the other ways up the building weren't just blocked by someone? If a civ is standing by the pipe or whatever you won't path through there, but if you run at them they run off.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

malhavok posted:

Are you sure the other ways up the building weren't just blocked by someone? If a civ is standing by the pipe or whatever you won't path through there, but if you run at them they run off.

Or turn into a Faceless :getin:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

malhavok posted:

I don't think so. I mean, I guess it's possible but I saw *no* other ways up the building, and I don't think there were any civs around--or I would've seen the little red tiles with my ranger scout.

Oh well. I've still got enough soldiers to keep going, and hopefully both the black market and HQ start selling top-notch soldiers soon.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
I'm having trouble finding a mod that stops the Long War Mechanic where enemies sometimes get an extra action upon reveal. Does anyone know a mod to disable it or how to disable it manually?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Science Rocket posted:

I'm having trouble finding a mod that stops the Long War Mechanic where enemies sometimes get an extra action upon reveal. Does anyone know a mod to disable it or how to disable it manually?

Go to C:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\Config\XComLW_Overhaul.ini, search for REFLEX_ACTION_CHANCE_YELLOW, set all the values to 0.0. Do the same for green alert to be consistent.

You can also search for +OffensiveReflexAbilities and remove standard shot and whatever other ability you don't like getting hit with from the list of allowed actions. That way they still yellow alert and do things like overwatch or hunker or whatever, but won't murder you with no recourse.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

Not a Step posted:

Go to C:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\Config\XComLW_Overhaul.ini, search for REFLEX_ACTION_CHANCE_YELLOW, set all the values to 0.0. Do the same for green alert to be consistent.

You can also search for +OffensiveReflexAbilities and remove standard shot and whatever other ability you don't like getting hit with from the list of allowed actions. That way they still yellow alert and do things like overwatch or hunker or whatever, but won't murder you with no recourse.

Thank you. I'm getting really into Long War but that feature has just felt frustrating.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think it's called the Anti-Beaglerush Technique. It's meant to prevent you from overwatch-crawling and strategically positioning your troops so that the enemies activate on their turn, thus wasting it as they would simply scamper. With that reaction action poo poo active, you absolutely have to be proactive in seeking out and activating pods on your turn.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Apoplexy posted:

I think it's called the Anti-Beaglerush Technique. It's meant to prevent you from overwatch-crawling and strategically positioning your troops so that the enemies activate on their turn, thus wasting it as they would simply scamper. With that reaction action poo poo active, you absolutely have to be proactive in seeking out and activating pods on your turn.

That's vanilla behavior, they have the potential to shoot and not scamper if your dudes are out of cover when they path into you specifically because Beagle just moved his dudes in a blob and overwatch creeped,

Long War took it a step futher and added the ability to scamper and take a shot even if you uncover them on your turn based on a hidden alert system which is kinda frustrating and another layer of RNG. Hope you weren't too loud.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Zore posted:

That's vanilla behavior, they have the potential to shoot and not scamper if your dudes are out of cover when they path into you specifically because Beagle just moved his dudes in a blob and overwatch creeped,

Long War took it a step futher and added the ability to scamper and take a shot even if you uncover them on your turn based on a hidden alert system which is kinda frustrating and another layer of RNG. Hope you weren't too loud.

They can't take a shot if you uncover them on your turn, it's only if they patrol into you on their turn.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

Scamper and take a whole bunch of possible actions (whereas in vanilla it is only shots) and, it triggers if they path into you on their turn and you're in cover, rather than only if you're flanked

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
- Set up mission brief that appears in geoscape and squadselect with some parameters of current mission, like turn counters, type of evac, whether corpses are gathered, etc.
- Added average scatter display (updates in real time) for rocket/blaster launcher targeting.
- Added new NavHelp button "Strip All Weapon Upgrades" to UIArmory_Loadout, UISquadSelect and the Upgrades UI.
- Added explainer text for all languages for rocket scatter, how to build a radio relay, the liberation progress pips, green/yellow alert mechanics
- Added hint that liberation moves you toward unlocking aliens true purpose

Phew, 1.2 is looking awesome, in my opinion. I can't wait for LW2 to get more mature and all. I absolutely love the mod, but you can tell it's in a state, right now, that isn't approachable to all the players it could be.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I was just thinking, you know something I miss from vanilla/Long War Perk Pack? The way Shinobi and Assaults would blow up half the map with a Fleche. It was so loving hysterical the way cover and buildings and poo poo would just explode around their sword.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I finished LW2 on Commander, and I don't think I'll end up playing another LW2 campaign. The one I finished was fun enough, but the strategic layer is a disaster that leads to problems on the tactical layer. I don't have the stomach to stealth another 30 missions, or to deal with the utter lack of unit variety between late spring and winter. Also Rendezvous and Protect Datatap missions get real, real old after a dozen or so plays. Its a lot like LW1 in that regard: entirely too long for the rather limited variety available.

LW2 reminded me that I do actually enjoy XCOM2 though, and I think I might try out A Better ADVENT and a bunch of other mods for another playthrough.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Regicide :rock:. The trick is having five of six of your squad in overwatch, and using the sixth to trigger the cutscene. Now I have to figure out a way to kill one when they're trying to escape. Do alien rulers leave after a certain amount of actions, or is it only based on damage taken?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Damage, I believe.

edit: Ugh, nothing scares me more than entering a high-population supply line raid mission and having some random pod have a member burning from turn 1. Makes them aggro on you the second you blow concealment.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 25, 2017

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
too much ephasis on stealth in lw2, maybe if they peeled that back a bit it would be good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Apoplexy posted:

I thought the anti beaglerush maneuver only triggers if you are in concealment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Fangz posted:

I thought the anti beaglerush maneuver only triggers if you are in concealment?

The original ABT was introduced in the pre-release, when Beags showed how to get a free turn by leaving one squad member in the open for a patrol to happen across. The solution was to give a high chance that, if the reveal is made against a flanked XCOM operative, one of the aliens wouldn't scamper, but instead shoot at the exposed trooper. This made it insanely risky early game because rookies + good chance to crit = another picture on the wall.

When Long War brought in the 'ADVENT turn activation' mechanic, they realised it made the ABT redundant- there was no point making one ADVENT shoot if it was a flank reveal, if every pod had a chance to make an offensive action (shoot, overwatch or ability, like Sectoids doing mindfuckery :argh:) And this could occur for every reveal, not just the first concealment reveal. So in the first patch, they removed the ABT entirely and upped the chances of the ATA mechanic.

So in summary, yes, it's better to sally forth and activate aliens on your turn, since they'll still scatter, but not try to shoot you immediately. Best option is still having a Shinobi scout, then bombing them with a rocket or grenade from out of LOS. Support grenadiers get a lot of use in my runs.

Speaking of- is the flashbang not being covered by Protector (one extra non-damaging grenade in the grenade slot) working as designed or not? I have added a couple of the 'Easier War' mods, not sure what might be messing with things in the back or if it's actually something LW has changed