Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SOME PIG posted:

How many Soldiers/Marines/Airmen/Sailors are really going to be able to pull the trigger against their own countrymen, family members, friends, etc.?

Lol like, all of them - don't worry the military knows how to wipe that pesky morality and hesitation squeaky clean from our soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was in jrotc through all of high school so a lot of my friends signed up after graduating. I'd say that over 75% of them stopped thinking for themselves and are now loving crazy. The other 25% got out after their first contract

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, most career soldiers I've known have learned to compartmentalize that poo poo to the point where I don't think they'd have much trouble pulling the trigger to put down "subversives." Not to mention that a lot of this poo poo will be done by drone assassination if it comes down to it, and that's an even further layer of remove. Armed insurrection would only be possible in the U.S. if it was such a large proportion of the population that it turned into an actual civil war, and I just don't see that happening.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

SOME PIG posted:

I haven't read Che's book on guerrilla warfare, but it seems that a dedicated volunteer army almost always wins against a professional/conscript army, no matter the size (barring outside intervention).

The key question is of popular support. The volunteer army can only succeed if popular support is largely in favour of the Guerrillas. Furthermore, America has been practicing counterinsurgency for a very long time by now, and would have an exceptionally strong home ground advantage unless the country was not behind it's military. That would require a very VERY dramatic cultural shift.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Spangly A posted:

It does not allow for good journalism.

...then how come there is good journalism?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Stinky_Pete posted:

...then how come there is good journalism?

Every system has glitches here and there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

jackpot posted:

Like this, but in Richmond, Virginia and wanting to get involved. Don't have much money, don't have a ton of time, but wondering how I can get the most bang for the buck in making the world a little less of a shithole. Should I just cold-call (email) the Henrico county Democratic party and offer to help, or is there some smarter, more effective way to spend my time?
See if they need a precinct committeeperson. Its one meeting a month and you have to want to find other Dem voters in your area, but you get to pick delegates to the convention and slowly change the party from within. http://www.precinctproject.us/states/virginia/

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Reading back a few pages now, but in the mean time is there any value to this Jon Ossoff character that the Daily Kos spam asked me to donate to? How can we turn that district blue?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Can anyone recommend an organization to donate to that promotes workers' rights? I'm guessing that unions can't just take financial contributions, and a lot of things like Fair Labor Association seem to also be only for members / industry exclusive.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Does anyone here have any good ideas on how to track down a rep in hiding? Steven Palazzo has gone completely MIA lately, and has seemingly completely disconnected from even his constituents.

All we wanna do is ask him why he's supporting a bill to end the EPA when our coastal waters are literally full of flesh-eating bacteria for reasons no one can fathom*

*It's the BP oil spill. It wasn't fully cleaned up and everyone knows it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Veyrall posted:

Does anyone here have any good ideas on how to track down a rep in hiding? Steven Palazzo has gone completely MIA lately, and has seemingly completely disconnected from even his constituents.

All we wanna do is ask him why he's supporting a bill to end the EPA when our coastal waters are literally full of flesh-eating bacteria for reasons no one can fathom*

*It's the BP oil spill. It wasn't fully cleaned up and everyone knows it.

How does an oil spill cause flesh-eating bacteria? :stare:

Have you tried calling a regional office? Like, are you saying he hasn't appeared in public, or that literally his entire staff is MIA and they aren't taking calls/letters? If it's the latter that's kind of bad, and I'm not really sure what you could do.

If he and his staff have disappeared and completely refuse to talk to anyone, I'd try and get in contact with a local paper or news organization and urge them to look into it. Maybe they'll run a story and try and get him to show back up.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Lightning Knight posted:

How does an oil spill cause flesh-eating bacteria? :stare:
I don't know but here we are. I forgot to mention the brain-eating amoebas who normally are most active during the summer months, but are now more active because the whole world is becoming permanently summer.

Lightning Knight posted:

If he and his staff have disappeared and completely refuse to talk to anyone, I'd try and get in contact with a local paper or news organization and urge them to look into it. Maybe they'll run a story and try and get him to show back up.
Thanks for the idea. I'll run it by some people.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
or find out where he lives and get enough people to make noise outside his house

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hey all. Crossposting from the DSA thread in C-SPAM. I'm getting the ball rolling in NH. :)

OhFunny posted:

Hey everyone the NH DSA had another meeting. 24 people showed up. It was a bit of a cluster because the bar wasn't prepared for all of us (they told me they a separate room for us when I made the reservation, but that wasn't true), but we had a good discussion in smaller groups. One person might be able to get us space at NCC or maybe the Hooksett Library. A lot of people want to do something, but seem unsure what they can do. I hope to lockdown a larger venue and channel this into something that will make a positive difference in NH.

OhFunny posted:

Sure thing.

I first heard about the DSA here on SA and looked for the closest group on Facebook and found a NH DSA Facebook page. The person who had created it had posted for help organizing since they are a college student and were leaving the state for school. I was unsure what to do since the NH DSA was basically just him and a Facebook page, Syndlig told me on the Dem/DSA Discord to seize everything and run myself, and the person handed me the NH DSA Facebook when I asked. I just started making at least 1 page a day on either something related to NH or Trump.

I then just decided to make an informal meeting at a Dunkin Donuts on a Saturday and 9 people showed up. I brought a notebook and got everyone's name and number. Another person volunteered to write a newsletter. When we were discussing where next to meet we decided on Manchester and I just started calling up bars asking if they had a spare room to use and emailed everyone that's where we would meet along with making an event on Facebook.

I'm going to meet with 2 other people Wednesday after work to hammer out an actual agenda so things are less of a meet and greet next time. I was told by someone who is attending a community college they might be able to get us a classroom to meet in cost-free. I was also told of a library where we can meet that's also cost free. One person is a member of the Teamsters Union and a full fledged communist. I hope to be able make inroads with them through him.

I know it's cliche, but build it and they will come. Don't worry about the first steps being perfect. The important thing is take those first steps.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Here are some more things to fill your email box with and show up to:

https://www.indivisibleguide.com/ - Explicitly copying Tea Party tactics to great effect. Lots of press coverage, and a great way to start invading town hall meetings.

https://justicedemocrats.com/ - For DNC reform by primarying any fucker who supports Trump even a little bit.

https://brandnewcongress.org/ - Grassroots House invasion tactics.

https://www.resistancerecess.com/ - More Town Hall action, mostly led by the Indivisible folks.

https://swingleft.org/ - It's been posted a bunch but still. Keep an eye on your local swing district, find out how you can help.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game is up guys, he figured you out

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Also, NASA is funded by the government.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I heard COINTELPRO was a government conspiracy.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Activism planned by actiivists, where does it end. :colbert:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Kekekela posted:

Activism planned by actiivists, where does it end. :colbert:

people getting together to express their views on the manner in which they are governed

the temerity* of it is breathtaking

perhaps we should now be saying "impertinence"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just got back from our local dems meeting where the county supervisor of elections was speaking.

Really impressed with the continued turnout and enthusiasm. There's a planned protest about to be going down outside our congressman's office in addition to continued strong attendance at town halls etc. Also specifically directed people to 5calls.org, and an upcoming meeting of indivisible (which leadership has already been attending).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Annual Prophet posted:

people getting together to express their views on the manner in which they are governed

the temerity* of it is breathtaking

perhaps we should now be saying "impertinence"

Untimely demise to the forces of opression [urinating dog!!!]

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Tias posted:

Untimely demise to the forces of opression [urinating dog!!!]

Echo gnomics?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Gonna be attending my first city hall meeting tonight. Palazzo is trying to avoid it, so we'll see what happens.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Just got back from our local dems meeting where the county supervisor of elections was speaking.

Really impressed with the continued turnout and enthusiasm. There's a planned protest about to be going down outside our congressman's office in addition to continued strong attendance at town halls etc. Also specifically directed people to 5calls.org, and an upcoming meeting of indivisible (which leadership has already been attending).

Local NPR reported that that death panels guy was forced to resign, good job :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

Local NPR reported that that death panels guy was forced to resign, good job :allears:

You mean the senator who brought up death panels to say why he voted against the ACA has resigned? Or was it just some staff guy who doesn't matter?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

You mean the senator who brought up death panels to say why he voted against the ACA has resigned? Or was it just some staff guy who doesn't matter?

He's referring to this rear end in a top hat: https://thinkprogress.org/bilirakis-town-hall-aca-death-panels-71c85ae831f8#.ne6bebn6n

I also really liked this bit from the one in Wesley Chapel this week:

quote:

"I just would really like to hear you say publicly that there is no such thing as death panels in the ACA," Bunch said.

And Bilirakis responded: "There is no such thing as death panels in the ACA."
http://wlrn.org/post/crowd-has-more-say-third-bilirakis-town-hall

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kekekela posted:

He's referring to this rear end in a top hat: https://thinkprogress.org/bilirakis-town-hall-aca-death-panels-71c85ae831f8#.ne6bebn6n

I also really liked this bit from the one in Wesley Chapel this week:

http://wlrn.org/post/crowd-has-more-say-third-bilirakis-town-hall

Yeah they played a clip of that bit and he sounded really loving pissed to have to say it it was great :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh also my mom sent me some pictures, she apparently went to a protest last weekend. She's 68 and old enough to have attended protests against Nixon and Vietnam (where she got tear gassed on the whitehouse lawn) and was friends with some of the founders of the Students for a Democratic Society, so I think it's real neat that she's still going :kimchi:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

no you see Perez getting elected is a good thing because

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

no you see Perez getting elected is a good thing because

Larger and more organized DSA chapters?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Perez was one of the best possible VP choices back months ago, and he's working with Ellison. Give him a chance.

Or, you know, just shout about how the next candidate and Trump are equally bad, whatever.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

dwarf74 posted:

Perez was one of the best possible VP choices back months ago, and he's working with Ellison. Give him a chance.

Or, you know, just shout about how the next candidate and Trump are equally bad, whatever.

Given what happened with the last candidate and Trump I'm surprised you can be so dumb-as-poo poo

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Feral Integral posted:

Given what happened with the last candidate and Trump I'm surprised you can be so dumb-as-poo poo
They haven't even done anything yet, and it's Perez and Ellison working together.

It's kind of premature to get the knives out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Not in this thread please. The DNC chair doesn't matter. What matters is town halls, bench building and constant protest. The Tea Party didn't transform the Republican party in a month, nor will we transform the Democrats in a month.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Not in this thread please. The DNC chair doesn't matter. What matters is town halls, bench building and constant protest. The Tea Party didn't transform the Republican party in a month, nor will we transform the Democrats in a month.

I agree with this, and also note that effective leftism does not equal party engagement, exclusively.

If you don't want to engage with the party and still want to fight, join narrower groups like Fight for 15, BLM, the various pipeline protestor groups, and show up to vote for candidates in unsafe districts that might support your groups on the side.

Edit: Oh and if you're mad about Ellison losing, write your congresspeople, your governor, etc. Don't bitch about Ellison losing, just tell them that if Perez sucks you're gonna bail and tell all of your friends to bail too.

You probably shouldn't actually bail, but you can let them think you would. :getin:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 26, 2017

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

"Evil wins because Leftists are stupid."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xcheopis posted:

"Evil wins because Leftists are stupid."

I wouldn't say stupid but certainly picky. Decades of refusing to assert any kind of influence at any time means the system grows in a fashion consistent with your non-existence. It's pretty rich to say you're being ignored when you are staying silent. That's why it's so informative to see things moving along now, even if it's under these circumstances. Engagement is good, because it shows what power it has - Perez might not have the career history of defending civil and labor rights that Ellison had, or the broad organizational leadership experience, or the leftist credentials from 6 months ago, but he's a step in the right direction over the likes of Kaine.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 27, 2017

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I wouldn't say stupid but certainly picky. Decades of refusing to assert any kind of influence at any time

Do you know literally anything about the left movement in the US or are you intentionally dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 27, 2017

• Locked thread