Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

Great choice on the thread title, who says BFC doesn't know how to loving party?

Good news: diamond in Q2

Bad news: won't want to see a loving airport for the next few years after this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Dreadite posted:

Good news: diamond in Q2

Bad news: won't want to see a loving airport for the next few years after this

But how will you use your global upgrade certs then?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I love to lurk this thread but holy poo poo does that (Arzakon title post) sound awful.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I love to lurk this thread but holy poo poo does that (Arzakon title post) sound awful.

If its in first class then no big deal. Especially if its paid first class and not a mileage or certificate upgrade to get that sweet, sweet 1.5 multiplier on MQMs.

If you do a dumb thing like I did and fly to Singapore and back in coach with a 6 hour turnaround you will hate yourself for a little bit. My GUCs have come in pretty handy though.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm taking my wife to Paris for her birthday because there was a $400 r/t fare LAX-CDG-LAX. Needless to say, it is in economy. And just Thursday-Sunday.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Well, it was fun while it lasted. New private equity overlords are implementing the same lovely travel policies that are taking over the corporate world.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
If you do mileage runs at all, no matter how short or cheap, I think you're a crazy person.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How do you guys get these upgrades and stuff? And like can someone link or provide an explanation of MQMS and all this poo poo?

Also, are the alliances based off credit cards?

E: I may move to Austin in the future for clients around the midwest.... What airline will be my most common

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Mandalay posted:

I'm taking my wife to Paris for her birthday because there was a $400 r/t fare LAX-CDG-LAX. Needless to say, it is in economy. And just Thursday-Sunday.
These transatlantic fares have been absolutely insane as of late. I saw NYC to Paris for around $400 a few weeks ago.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

i fly airplanes posted:

These transatlantic fares have been absolutely insane as of late. I saw NYC to Paris for around $400 a few weeks ago.

These are just for travel now, right? Summer fares seem to be the standard prices.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

These are just for travel now, right? Summer fares seem to be the standard prices.

Around Thanksgiving the prices for Jan-Apr were amazing for Europe and Asia but its over now. Summer was the usual.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Summer is always a bit more expensive, but I also saw them for about $500-600 roundtrip as well a few weeks back, from LAX to Europe on UA and some other airlines.

It's still available for other months, I think.

SWISS is a great airline:

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=...267-ZRHLAX0LX40

EDIT:

nope it's still available:

On Virgin Atlantic, which is absolutely fantastic.

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=...5-SEALAX0DL1151

For the poor bastards that need to fly American Airlines:

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=...78,LHRLAX0BA283

$558 for Air New Zealand nonstop LAX-LHR is pretty much a steal:

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=US#search;f=LAX;t=LHR,LGW,STN,LCY,LTN,SEN,QQS;d=2017-09-11;r=2017-09-18;a=NZ

$1358 for Premium Economy for early August, which is basically only $300 more than economy for these dates:

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=...X0NZ1;sc=p;a=NZ

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 23, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
14 hours in business class is still lovely, sorry. It beats the gently caress out of economy, but it still sucks.

Waroduce posted:

How do you guys get these upgrades and stuff? And like can someone link or provide an explanation of MQMS and all this poo poo?

Also, are the alliances based off credit cards?

E: I may move to Austin in the future for clients around the midwest.... What airline will be my most common

Diamond Medallions on Delta get the option of selecting a number of choice benefits each year, including 4 global upgrade certificates. The same/similar is true for most top level status on the major US airlines.

All airlines have three kinds of things:

1. Miles. These are what you redeem for tickets, upgrades, etc.
2. Qualifying Miles. These are what help determine your status, and is basically how much you actually fly. RDMs, EQMs, MQMs depending on airlines. For Delta, MQMs is short for Medallion Qualifying Miles. This prevents jackasses with the credit card from actually earning status. There are certain tiers to hit status levels.
3. Qualifying Dollars. These also help determine your status and is based on dollar spend with the airline. There are certain tiers to hit status levels. This prevents FT jagoffs from buying a thousand transpacific tickets at four dollars each and getting status.

Alliances are not based on credit cards. There are three big ones: Skyteam, Star Alliance, and OneWorld. The degree of cooperation between alliance partners is highly variable.

Skyteam - Delta, KLM, AF, China Eastern, China Southern, Gol, Korean Air, Virgin(?), Alitalia, Aeromexico, and a bunch of garbage airlines.
Star Alliance - United, Lufthansa Group, ANA, SAS, Turkish, Singapore, AirCanada and a bunch of garbage airlines.
OneWorld - AA, British, Aer Lingus, Iberia, JAL, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, LATAM and a bunch of garbage airlines.

Austin is vaguely Southwest territory, I think.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

PVG - ORD on a 787 for $600 that was still so empty I had a choice of which empty middle row or window row I wanted to lay down in. :smug:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

14 hours in business class is still lovely, sorry. It beats the gently caress out of economy, but it still sucks.

Diamond Medallions on Delta get the option of selecting a number of choice benefits each year, including 4 global upgrade certificates. The same/similar is true for most top level status on the major US airlines.

All airlines have three kinds of things:

1. Miles. These are what you redeem for tickets, upgrades, etc.
2. Qualifying Miles. These are what help determine your status, and is basically how much you actually fly. RDMs, EQMs, MQMs depending on airlines. For Delta, MQMs is short for Medallion Qualifying Miles. This prevents jackasses with the credit card from actually earning status. There are certain tiers to hit status levels.
3. Qualifying Dollars. These also help determine your status and is based on dollar spend with the airline. There are certain tiers to hit status levels. This prevents FT jagoffs from buying a thousand transpacific tickets at four dollars each and getting status.

Alliances are not based on credit cards. There are three big ones: Skyteam, Star Alliance, and OneWorld. The degree of cooperation between alliance partners is highly variable.

Skyteam - Delta, KLM, AF, China Eastern, China Southern, Gol, Korean Air, Virgin(?), Alitalia, Aeromexico, and a bunch of garbage airlines.
Star Alliance - United, Lufthansa Group, ANA, SAS, Turkish, Singapore, AirCanada and a bunch of garbage airlines.
OneWorld - AA, British, Aer Lingus, Iberia, JAL, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, LATAM and a bunch of garbage airlines.

Austin is vaguely Southwest territory, I think.

If I'm out of Austin and responsible for the midwest, what would you recommend as far as alliances go?

E: I can pick what and when I fly pretty much. It's all on my card and the company reimburses

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 24, 2017

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Waroduce posted:

If I'm out of Austin and responsible for the midwest, what would you recommend as far as alliances go?

E: I can pick what and when I fly pretty much. It's all on my card and the company reimburses

A lot of people would kill for your travel policy.

You will have to be picking flights within reason, but airlines have set it up so that they want people to fly the most expensive flights at the moment to earn the most miles for themselves. This puts your own self interest at odds with your company, since they're the ones paying.

Assuming you're flying from Austin to the Midwest to and from every week, that's about 2000 miles roundtrip. Connecting may add 500 miles to a nearby airport, so let's say 3000 miles roundtrip. If you're flying 40 weeks a year, that's 120000 miles or enough to get top-tier status on any airline.

If you're flying only or mostly domestic flights, I would suggest Delta: they're the best in terms of on-time performance and customer service. You'll likely connect via MSP, DTW, or JFK.

If you're flying international at all, some fliers like to fly American and United, even if they are inferior domestically, because they have a lot of good international airline partners.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Waroduce posted:

You're going to connect in Houston, Dallas, or Chicago which means AA, UA, or WN. All have shitloads of service out of AUS so I think it depends on schedule wherever you're going.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Waroduce posted:

Yeesh Austin is kind of tough - depending on which midwest cities you need to go to I'd either go AA or Southwest. You'll almost always need to connect through DFW or ORD on AA if you cover a non-hub city, but the connections are plentiful. My friend from Austin hit plat on segments alone last year.

HOWEVER, if southwest flies direct to the city you need to cover (say, Kansas City), just do that.

quote:

SEA-HKG-SEA-DTW-GRU-ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-SEA in 20 days
:same:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Waroduce posted:

If you need to go to like twelfth tier garbage cities, AA. If you don't, WN.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Contrary to some other posters I would not suggest Southwest for corporate travel. Their on-time record is abysmal, their network is extremely weak if you are connecting, and their destinations out of Austin are very limited if you want to go the Midwest. Connecting on Southwest is a recipe for disaster. The lack of decent awards/frequent flyer perks are also not great.

I think the legacies are only option, with AA and DL the most realistic. UA is kind of backtracking if you are flying via IAH, and IAH/EWR are dumps of airports to connect through. That leaves AA and DL, and I prefer DL over the hot mess that is AA right now from the merger.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 24, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is 100% accurate.

Also, American's international product is completely fine. The 773 is a wonderful hard product and the 787 is as well. I would choose them with zero hesitation unless you're looking for premium economy.

Out of Austin I would fly American just because I don't care for Southwest. but being in Austin you'll struggle for enough miles to get status. I would take a platinum challenge if they still exist to get status and be able to use it while building your eqm

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

sellouts posted:

This is 100% accurate.

Also, American's international product is completely fine. The 773 is a wonderful hard product and the 787 is as well. I would choose them with zero hesitation unless you're looking for premium economy.

Out of Austin I would fly American just because I don't care for Southwest. but being in Austin you'll struggle for enough miles to get status. I would take a platinum challenge if they still exist to get status and be able to use it while building your eqm
From what I've heard from friends in Austin, AA is usually first choice among a lot of them, but that also results in more competition for upgrades and such, if you care about that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

Contrary to some other posters I would not suggest Southwest for corporate travel. Their on-time record is abysmal, their network is extremely weak if you are connecting, and their destinations out of Austin are very limited if you want to go the Midwest. Connecting on Southwest is a recipe for disaster. The lack of decent awards/frequent flyer perks are also not great.

I think the legacies are only option, with AA and DL the most realistic. UA is kind of backtracking if you are flying via IAH, and IAH/EWR are dumps of airports to connect through. That leaves AA and DL, and I prefer DL over the hot mess that is AA right now from the merger.

Delta you're going to connect through ATL (what), MSP (lots of backtracking), or DTW (again, not a great location). I love Delta more than the next guy but I'd trade some of the service level benefits of DL for actually getting me to my destination faster through DFW and ORD.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta you're going to connect through ATL (what), MSP (lots of backtracking), or DTW (again, not a great location). I love Delta more than the next guy but I'd trade some of the service level benefits of DL for actually getting me to my destination faster through... ORD.

It's too early in the morning for jokes. Granted there's some great food there, so you'll at least be comfortable.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is a way on Delta with the Amex cards to get drat near Diamond status without ever setting foot on a plane. The platinum card gives you 20k MQMs if you spend $50k on it, and the reserve card gives you 30k miles if you hit $60k in spend. With the personal and business versions of each card, if you were a high spender, you could feasibly get 100k MQMs. If you do this, you are retarded though because the annual fees alone would cost you over $1,400. There was a guy on FlyerTalk (forgive me) a couple of years ago that was doing this, but his justification was "I USE ALL THOSE BONUS MILES AND COMPANION PASSES AND THE SKYCLUB MEMBERSHIPS TOO!". Still dumb dumb dumb.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta you're going to connect through ATL (what), MSP (lots of backtracking), or DTW (again, not a great location). I love Delta more than the next guy but I'd trade some of the service level benefits of DL for actually getting me to my destination faster through DFW and ORD.

They may be able to get some SLC flights too, but yeah, I agree with you. I have a co-worker that lives in Austin and trips to either coast are fine on Delta going through ATL, DTW, or SLC. Anything in the middle of the country though, and he usually flies AA because of the easy connection to anywhere from DFW.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 24, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I really appreciate the advice guys. I was checking some of the recent locations I've been this year such as KC, TPA, CLT, Indy, and places I'm booked for like Cleveland, Denver and Phoenix and it seems like AA flights are much better timed and actually get me there while most of Delta departing out of AUS is very early or very late and routes throught ATL with very short layovers....

I really prefer Delta to AA and I feel like it has more options up and down the east and west coasts, but AA seems like it would logistically make my life much easier.

I have a CSP (its my first credit card) currently and they don't partner with AA, they use united. I've forced like 5 grand through it in the month i've owned it and I am considering opening another card that will give me lounge access and that would synergize with AA. any opinions?

Also are lounges just like nicer areas? is there anything special about them? Free booze?

Sorry for all the questions, I haven't ever really traveled so regularly for business before and I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want to maximize my returns. The plan is to give me the midwest and start an office in Austin under me within the next 3 months and I'll be flying all over even more.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The AA lounge in Austin is poo poo and most of the airports you're flying to won't have one. Save the money.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

Also are lounges just like nicer areas? is there anything special about them? Free booze?
Lounges will vary GREATLY depending on where you are and the carrier. Delta's old lounge in the B terminal at ATL was like a bus station, but the Sky Deck, showers, and rest of the lounge available at JFK are very, very nice. The biggest perks is that they are quieter, have free wi-fi (most airports have that now anyways), work areas with desks, free food, and free booze. I've used the lounge a few times in the event a flight is delayed, because it was easier to walk up to the desk agents in the lounge than it was to call in or wait to talk to a gate agent. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get lounge access though if you didn't already have it through status or a CC with a reasonable annual fee.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

Lounges will vary GREATLY depending on where you are and the carrier. Delta's old lounge in the B terminal at ATL was like a bus station, but the Sky Deck, showers, and rest of the lounge available at JFK are very, very nice. The biggest perks is that they are quieter, have free wi-fi (most airports have that now anyways), work areas with desks, free food, and free booze. I've used the lounge a few times in the event a flight is delayed, because it was easier to walk up to the desk agents in the lounge than it was to call in or wait to talk to a gate agent. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get lounge access though if you didn't already have it through status or a CC with a reasonable annual fee.

During the Delta Hell Meltdown last August, a friend on an itinerary a couple hours ahead of me said he was in a multiple-hour rebooking line in ATL concourse B but "only" waited 90 minutes on the phone after his second flight cancelled. I didn't even have to wait at the closest Sky Club front desk after my second flight cancelled.

That plus the nicer chairs is worth it.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

During the Delta Hell Meltdown last August, a friend on an itinerary a couple hours ahead of me said he was in a multiple-hour rebooking line in ATL concourse B but "only" waited 90 minutes on the phone after his second flight cancelled. I didn't even have to wait at the closest Sky Club front desk after my second flight cancelled.
Lounge agents are great. Last year at BNA I showed up for a flight to PDX, but my connection to ATL was delayed and I would have missed the PDX portion. In less than 2 minutes I was rebooked through DTW with confirmed first class upgrades the whole way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

But why not just buy a day pass in those situations?

I fly commercial to/from pretty big airports with no weather so misconnects are rare, maybe more frequent for y'all.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

sellouts posted:

It's probably limited to one market, but American's trans-Atlantic product out of ORD is total garbage. 767s that haven't been updated since the 80s. No IFEs, broken overhead lights... I'd feel so ripped off I bought a J fare.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I flew 60 segments on Delta last year but missed the 6k spend by $500. I'm boned for silver versus gold right? They won't have pity on me?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I upgraded on the NRT-SIN part of GRU-ATL-NRT-SIN for 12500 miles. Feeling a lot better about my big dumb itinerary now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I flew 60 segments on Delta last year but missed the 6k spend by $500. I'm boned for silver versus gold right? They won't have pity on me?

I sure hope not. Your cost per segment was below $100?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

rude

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
If they let people who spend less than $6,000 before taxes on airfare get status benefits, what's next? Letting people dressed in business casual sit in first class?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

creationist believer posted:

If they let people who spend less than $6,000 before taxes on airfare get status benefits, what's next? Letting people dressed in business casual sit in first class?

i've become flyertalk

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

creationist believer posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've become flyertalk

Man, this long distance relationship is even worse than I thought it'd be. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Man, this long distance relationship is even worse than I thought it'd be. :(

it doesn't hurt to ask them but you can probably only ask once