Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Probably Magic posted:

Props to them for not hiding in the Trump thread and being shrill ninnies like all those guys, I guess.

the possibility of them being shrill ninnies in a thread i have no interest in reading or being insufferable shitheads here in this thread.

boy howdy like tom perez and keith ellison i can't tell the difference as both possible scenarios are exactly alike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, just like the dnc chair, threads on something awful aren't terribly important. just as it makes no difference who is the chair of the national committee, it ultimately makes no difference which thread bad dems who dem badly post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Most voters in general were cynical and depressed about the nature of politics and how theres no genuine politicians, that haphazard politician showed them that there still are pockets of old hippies who are both politically savvy enough to work in the system and remain genuine

It's not like there was this hive of energized bernie supporters just hibernating for the past 10 years and doing nothing

this is the problem

you know how we keep saying that the Dems made the mistake of assuming that because they did good with a particularly charismatic candidate who was good at campaigning, they would do fine no matter what? it's the same thing with Bernie. having an excellent candidate is great, but you can't always count on having excellent candidates. if the movement barely even exists without the swell of enthusiasm generated by a great candidate, then the movement is doomed

in a few years Sanders is probably gonna be retired, sick, or dead, and Ellison will lose his luster after a couple years faithfully making sausage for the establishment. is the movement Bernie stirred up capable of motivating itself without a really charismatic figurehead, or will it all fall to bits if there isn't another excellent campaigner waiting in the wings to replace them?

probably sounds stupid to be worrying about this now, but progressives have never given me any reason to be optimistic about this. I've been cynical and depressed, but not about the state of politics - rather, I've been cynical and depressed about the state of the left. politics has always been poo poo garbage for idiots, but the left mattered once or twice, long long ago. I'm glad to see that Sanders has finally managed after all these years to finally get the left to come out and do something, but I'm not optimistic that it'll last

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

JeffersonClay posted:

The first one says
So the 2nd one suggesting Hillary invented the Putin/Trump connection conspiracy theory to whip up anti-Russian opinion and start world war three is peak dumbass. That piece was published November 3rd. Maybe elements of the foreign policy left giving trump a bunch of cover on an issue that clearly motivates the democratic base was a bad idea?

Yea hillary was pretty poo poo and her campaign strategist had pretty lovely/dumb ideas.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Remember the old Dem thread

Wow. I didn't realize that being acknowledged as a transracial gay man would pay my rent, thanks Hillary!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

this is the problem

you know how we keep saying that the Dems made the mistake of assuming that because they did good with a particularly charismatic candidate who was good at campaigning, they would do fine no matter what? it's the same thing with Bernie. having an excellent candidate is great, but you can't always count on having excellent candidates. if the movement barely even exists without the swell of enthusiasm generated by a great candidate, then the movement is doomed

in a few years Sanders is probably gonna be retired, sick, or dead, and Ellison will lose his luster after a couple years faithfully making sausage for the establishment. is the movement Bernie stirred up capable of motivating itself without a really charismatic figurehead, or will it all fall to bits if there isn't another excellent campaigner waiting in the wings to replace them?

probably sounds stupid to be worrying about this now, but progressives have never given me any reason to be optimistic about this. I've been cynical and depressed, but not about the state of politics - rather, I've been cynical and depressed about the state of the left. politics has always been poo poo garbage for idiots, but the left mattered once or twice, long long ago. I'm glad to see that Sanders has finally managed after all these years to finally get the left to come out and do something, but I'm not optimistic that it'll last

Chin up this is no time for worry

FFS the left has been told there's no place for them in the dems for decades, Carter broke the trucker's union, clinton destroyed welfare, and obama didn't punish the banks after they ruined everything. The kind of people who car3e deeply about bernie have been told for longer than I've been alive there's no place for them in the two parties, so they became politically inactive and discouraged and why even loving bother. The leftist movement of occupy DELIBERATELY didn't try and get involved with running candidates or other political things, all that energy dissipated once everyone started mic checking about how important it was to integrate streamlined apps into the tent city

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The occupy movement was a lashing out against the GOP and centerist liberals, it wasn't able to move in a cohesive direction, and part of that had to do with the way they made decisions and their refusal to acknowledge power as a thing that exists. Bernie Sanders took that energy and pointed it in a cohesive direction with tangible goals, some of them from other groups like $15/hr min. wage from fight for 15, or his racial justice platform, from BLM, which is good, the left is a coalition and we should support activists working for specific progressive goals. Bernie Sanders impact is being seen in previously disengaged people becoming activated and excited about the vision of an actual future that's good and cool, theoretically the democrats would want to harbor that energy and use to stop getting slaughtered in elections. But in reality the democrats as a whole are spineless losers terrified of losing corporate donors or ceding their theological worship of terrible compromised limp-wristed attempts at reform.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the joke is, dems already lost their corporate donors

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the joke is, dems already lost their corporate donors

Companies like Goldman Sachs and Exxon mobile always hedge bets on both parties, they just hedge less if they think the chances of a candidate (dem or gop) losing are higher. If dems become progressive they probably will lose some donors and some big money, but guess what? Jeb Bush raised $160 million dollars. Clinton out raised the poo poo out of Trump. It doesn't matter if you dont have a message people want from a person they trust and believe.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if they still think centrism in the form of fiscal conservatism + well wishes to social liberties while approving their demolishment is going to earn them more corporate pocket money as opposed to, say, winning elections in the first place and retaining voters by being genuine, well :downsowned:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Grondoth posted:

Chin up this is no time for worry

FFS the left has been told there's no place for them in the dems for decades, Carter broke the trucker's union, clinton destroyed welfare, and obama didn't punish the banks after they ruined everything. The kind of people who car3e deeply about bernie have been told for longer than I've been alive there's no place for them in the two parties, so they became politically inactive and discouraged and why even loving bother. The leftist movement of occupy DELIBERATELY didn't try and get involved with running candidates or other political things, all that energy dissipated once everyone started mic checking about how important it was to integrate streamlined apps into the tent city

the american left is bad because their reaction to being told that there's no place for them in the two parties was to go "aww shucks, okay then" and go back home to jerk off. if the left is weak enough to be broken by some centrist shithead saying mean things about their ideas, that's on them

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

HorseRenoir posted:

the american left is bad because their reaction to being told that there's no place for them in the two parties was to go "aww shucks, okay then" and go back home to jerk off. if the left is weak enough to be broken by some centrist shithead saying mean things about their ideas, that's on them

Imagine if you were told "no" to something.

Now imagine if you were told "no" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Shame on you for giving up after that, you should have asked one more time. You are so weak.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hardcore conservative getting shutdown by glorious space communists.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

the entire electoral, political, corporate, and mass media system in the country is arrayed against the american left so this is pretty difficult and it's pretty understandable why people wouldnt bother

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rastor posted:

Now imagine if you were told "no" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Shame on you for giving up after that, you should have asked one more time. You are so weak.
and they keep doing that so a foreign country can install fascism whooaaaa nelly

and they're going to have to decide whether they want millions of lives on their conscience pretty soon

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Rastor posted:

"if i aint gon be part of the dems, i gotta be the dems myself"

to paraphrase great revolutionary and maoist third-worldist busta rhymes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

comedyblissoption posted:

the entire electoral, political, corporate, and mass media system in the country is arrayed against the american left so this is pretty difficult and it's pretty understandable why people wouldnt bother
and some of these people are shocked, shocked, SHOCKED that we got subverted by fascists after willingly weakening everything that acts as a bulwark to fascism

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wow. I didn't realize that being acknowledged as a transracial gay man would pay my rent, thanks Hillary!

ive been denied jobs and housing for being queer so eat my stool pc

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Philip Rivers posted:

ive been denied jobs and housing for being queer so eat my stool pc
This poo poo is kinda the problem, the people not giving you a fair go aren't the same people focusing on how poo poo their paycheck is

Solidarity is a two way street brosef, you can't demand others be your allies and back you up, then give them nothing in return

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

this is the problem

Didn't all the centrist Hillary supporters specifically tell the progressives that they didn't need them and if they didn't like Clinton then they shouldn't vote for her? I think the problem isn't the progressives, tbqh

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HorseRenoir posted:

Lol "go back home and jerk off"

Yea buddy, cause that's totally something that a person making $30k a year or less can totally do.

I mean, it's discouraging to have your future president saying "would breaking up the big banks solve racism?", "we're gonna put coal miners out of work" and finally "$15 an hour is too much for businesses to pay their employees"

The American left is broken because capitalism has crushed it to powder. And instead of helping us out you tell us that Hillary should be good enough for us.

And now you lost.

Now Perez won't harness the energy and rage of the electorate, leading us to more defeats.

There's a reason all the people who predicted a Clinton loss, who said that she wasn't gonna win, that it was dangerous to cut yourself off from the working class, were vindicated and proven right. Now they're saying Perez will lead us back to centrism and away from the the real working class. He will, because his loyalty is to his law school friends and Washington elites.

I'm just chillin in Cedar Rapids tho

white sauce has issued a correction as of 12:45 on Feb 24, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
But we should put coal miners out of work

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like it is possibly the most important issue in the world

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

But we should put coal miners out of work

And then what? This kind of mentality is what led us here. Yea, fossil fuels are killing the planet, but people have to make a living. You can't leave them to die. And you can't have a presidential candidate that says your jobs are gonna go away when he or she becomes president.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

You give them different and better jobs, like infrastructure jobs. There is no such thing as sustainable coal mining and we need to stop pretending otherwise, but the federal government has a thing called Lots Of Money and it could be used to alleviate the suffering of ex-miners and even pay them to do other jobs!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

And then what? This kind of mentality is what led us here. Yea, fossil fuels are killing the planet, but people have to make a living. You can't leave them to die. And you can't have a presidential candidate that says your jobs are gonna go away when he or she becomes president.

create jobs for them

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

give them different jobs, tell them to suck it the gently caress up and get with the times.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"we'll put coal miners out of work."

"that could be phrased better, madam secretary -- what do you plan they should do after that?"

"go back to school and learn to program and maybe we'll forgive their loans if they start a business. gently caress, i don't know, do i actually have to give a poo poo about the kinds of people who would be concerned about unemployment after coal?"

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
funny how nobody in the dem establishment has an answer as to the what and how of replacing those jobs.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
you don't need a job when you're dead

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
those people should be grateful they were first in line for death

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

funny how nobody in the dem establishment has an answer as to the what and how of replacing those jobs.

does anybody have an answer on what replaces those jobs other than Job Corp??

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because i sure as gently caress didn't hear anything about that from trump's opponent, never mind anything that was delivered in a way that people could believe she would actually make happen.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

close the mines and seal the miners inside them

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and when there are a bunch of dems steering the party who believe that businesses will just make that investment in rural communities entirely out of the goodness of their hearts, this Lots Of Money that the government has to spend on it becomes a gently caress load less accessable for that purpose

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

create jobs for them

Yea but would that end racism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9