Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Wrex: My people were sterilised as punishment for rebelling against the galactic hegemony. We live in an irradiated wasteland and only 1 in 1000 krogan births survive to term. We're a dying race.

Trast: This is fun and light-hearted and not at all depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lt. Danger posted:

Wrex: My people were sterilised as punishment for rebelling against the galactic hegemony. We live in an irradiated wasteland and only 1 in 1000 krogan births survive to term. We're a dying race.

he said he thought it works better when it's more light-hearted. maybe he didn't like the genophage plot?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect is at its strongest when it's straight sci-fi, fortunately it maintains that tone consistently throughout all three games and only deviates in the wild imaginings of goons.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

aegof posted:

I went back and I think I found the exact moment goons stopped being ironic about this.

those pictures :allears:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lt. Danger posted:

please don't tell me that sci-fi shlock nonsense garnered a legitimate emotional response from you

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

he said he thought it works better when it's more light-hearted. maybe he didn't like the genophage plot?

Tali: When we realised we had created artificial intelligence, we immediately tried to commit genocide to avoid galactic sanctions. We lost the war for our homeworld and now we exist on the fringes of society, feared and hated by other races, with crippling autoimmune conditions that prevent us from having casual contact with other people. Our military dictatorship is now split on the issue of whether to invade Rannoch and try to kill or enslave the geth, a peaceful race that just want to be left alone. My father personally committed war crimes in pursuit of this goal.

Trast: This is just like Buck Rogers.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

please don't tell me that sci-fi shlock nonsense garnered a legitimate emotional response from you

No, Trast is the one with the legitimate emotional responses here. However either they've forgotten exactly what happens in Mass Effect or they think it's really funny and uplifting that e.g. Exogeni and Binary Helix fed a bunch of civilian researchers to horrible alien monsters in the name of unethical science.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

No, Trast is the one with the legitimate emotional responses here. However either they've forgotten exactly what happens in Mass Effect or they think it's really funny and uplifting that e.g. Exogeni and Binary Helix fed a bunch of civilian researchers to horrible alien monsters in the name of unethical science.

why are all your posts so abrasive and combative

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
mass effects people strangely

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

Tali: When we realised we had created artificial intelligence, we immediately tried to commit genocide to avoid galactic sanctions. We lost the war for our homeworld and now we exist on the fringes of society, feared and hated by other races, with crippling autoimmune conditions that prevent us from having casual contact with other people. Our military dictatorship is now split on the issue of whether to invade Rannoch and try to kill or enslave the geth, a peaceful race that just want to be left alone. My father personally committed war crimes in pursuit of this goal.

right, I don't agree with him, but also he said he thinks it works better when the tone is lighter, not that the tone was always light

I'm just r e a d i n g w h a t ' s i n t h e t e x t

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

If we pick out all the dark bits I don't think there's gonna be much Mass Effect left.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Medlar posted:

The current-year hair/makeup-style and personality for the characters I've seen thus far feel a little jarring for a futuristic game. Does Rastaman really need them dreads? I see that crossfit games-haircut the blond sports at the gym all the time and it's already losing its luster for me. I'm surprised one of the male characters isn't rocking a manbun.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking. That said, I'd slam Peebles even if her personality is that of an annoying child's.

I sound like I'm about to start writing fan-fic

Dating itself through using current fashion and styles is a time-honoured tradition of Science Fiction and especially Space Opera.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man guys, have you read some of these pokemon descriptions, they're so ~dark~ and ~twisted~

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Cowcaster posted:

man guys, have you read some of these pokemon descriptions, they're so ~dark~ and ~twisted~

I had to give up on Pokemon, it was too hardcore and edgy for me. Read about Cubone and wept, breaking my gameboy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also if we're making unreasonable gripes, can I mention that I resent that the Collectors for example are a fully alien race that uses shoulder-braced rifle type weapons? It's lame.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Also if we're making unreasonable gripes, can I mention that I resent that the Collectors for example are a fully alien race that uses shoulder-braced rifle type weapons? It's lame.

they've got two legs two arms and shoulders why wouldn't they

Serf
May 5, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

I mean its Mass Effect, most of the aliens are roughly humanoid in shape. When did we ever see a hanar or an elcor do anything besides remain in one place and talk? I mean its space opera and not some attempt at hard sci-fi, you're not gonna get much besides humanoid aliens that behave in humanoid ways.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Serf posted:

I mean its Mass Effect, most of the aliens are roughly humanoid in shape. When did we ever see a hanar or an elcor do anything besides remain in one place and talk? I mean its space opera and not some attempt at hard sci-fi, you're not gonna get much besides humanoid aliens that behave in humanoid ways.

still a bit miffed we never got to see elcor walking tanks

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pattonesque posted:

me too :smithfrog:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Same here, comrade.

Andromeda was another squandered opportunity to take a stab at some alien aliens, but the fat-neck cat people and the collectors 2.0 are just bleh.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

Same here, comrade.

Andromeda was another squandered opportunity to take a stab at some alien aliens, but the fat-neck cat people and the collectors 2.0 are just bleh.

I'm still going to enjoy using my space wizard powers on them and listening to companions squabble about it all, though.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Has anyone said rear end defect lately?

Serf
May 5, 2011

homullus posted:

I'm still going to enjoy using my space wizard powers on them and listening to companions squabble about it all, though.

It will not diminish my enjoyment of the game, no. If it mattered that much I would've quit back in Mass Effect 1.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I just hope there's more Andromeda aliens than the Angaran and Kett

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Cowcaster posted:

they've got two legs two arms and shoulders why wouldn't they

Should just be a race of guns, tbh, like the scion or the arm cannon things.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Lt. Danger posted:

Kai Leng: Despite my reputation as a feared assassin and touting myself Shepard's equal, I fail miserably in every single encounter against him, succeeding only when I literally enter cheat codes into my omni tool. This is done with such unerring regularity that it becomes a running gag throughout the entire narrative, and everything from my dialogue to aesthetics highlight my laughable incompetence.

Goons: Man, I can't believe Bioware wants us to take this guy so grimdark seriously.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Christ, the Bioware community never fails.

Why is it so horrible to have a purely straight character?
It's loving weird and kind of creepy to have every character be bi, it's like they're all there purely to be hosed.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Deakul posted:

It's loving weird and kind of creepy to have every character be bi, it's like they're all there purely to be hosed.

BioWare will slowly progress to being the first AAA studio that only makes VR gently caress games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I will see for myself, in first person, how big PeeBee's Dee is.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

marshmallow creep posted:

I will see for myself, in first person, how big PeeBee's Dee is.

Please link your Patreon.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Deakul posted:

I've never found it creepy so much as just kind of statistically improbable, but frankly what do I know. It seems more weird that there seems to be a dearth of purely homosexual options in their games. It was kind of nice for people to have a broad range of romantic options for their own preferences, I guess.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Kai Leng: Despite my reputation as a feared assassin and touting myself Shepard's equal, I fail miserably in every single encounter against him, succeeding only when I literally enter cheat codes into my omni tool. This is done with such unerring regularity that it becomes a running gag throughout the entire narrative, and everything from my dialogue to aesthetics highlight my laughable incompetence.

Goons: Man, I can't believe Bioware wants us to take this guy so grimdark seriously.

"I was a highly trained marine, fitted with the best equipment money can buy and implants derived the most advanced synthetic race in the galaxy and a terminally ill Drell stopped me from killing my target. The guy even bragged about it on his death bed"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deakul posted:

Everyone being bi is dumb, but it's usually the only way to have as many potential partners for gay characters as for straight characters.

Of course, if they are all bi then the romances will treat you as genderless like with Josephine, and that's poo poo, too.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've never really cared about the relationship system in these games, but I figure it is ignored easily enough that there's no point in worrying about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FunkMonkey posted:

I've never found it creepy so much as just kind of statistically improbable, but frankly what do I know. It seems more weird that there seems to be a dearth of purely homosexual options in their games. It was kind of nice for people to have a broad range of romantic options for their own preferences, I guess.

The creepy thing about having a bunch of aliens aboard your ship who all wanna gently caress the PC is that the game ceases to be about writing characters with their own agency and personalities, and more about providing uniform sexual gratification to the player apart from any other considerations, because of course why wouldn't they want to sleep with you? It's offputting and weird.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Serf posted:

I've never really cared about the relationship system in these games, but I figure it is ignored easily enough that there's no point in worrying about it.

Same here. I'll usually try at least one just because they tend to be amusingly awkward.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

The creepy thing about having a bunch of aliens aboard your ship who all wanna gently caress the PC is that the game ceases to be about writing characters with their own agency and personalities, and more about providing uniform sexual gratification to the player apart from any other considerations, because of course why wouldn't they want to sleep with you? It's offputting and weird.

But you could flirt with Cassandra and Dorian even as a woman, and they would reject you. It's not unrealistic that some of them would want to get together with you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
new briefing

https://www.masseffect.com/andromeda-initiative/training-hub/weapons-and-biotics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Fortunately there always seems to be a very explicit point in these games where you can shut them down and lock them into a platonic relationship at most, which is what I pretty much do any playthrough after my first.

I remember being somewhat pissed with this regarding Anders in DA2 because the only options were to romance him or insinuate that you were disturbed by his homosexual interest in you. You couldn't just have had a "sorry, but I'm just not into you like that" option?

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2017