Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
youre off the case, mysterious frankie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
btf the pussy hat thing was dumb

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Sincere Question: Why?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

failing forward posted:

it was a little goofy and a cash-in on the protests, i guess. but whatever, reality is absurd now. put a vagina on your head and go yell at the president because you can do whatever you want in life

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
to be honest there is no real "guide to protest" for newbies and hell most newbies wouldnt even bother to look one up even if there was one (that wasnt intended for a serious protestor) Eh they just did the natural thing and marched and held signs.. Its not the most helpful thing sure but its not bad, they at least gave a poo poo enough to get the gently caress offline and show up.

I think the hat thing was flat out pinterest bait though.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Guides on how to knit them were given out for free, so they're at least a couple steps above the safety pin poo poo.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

failing forward posted:

protesting by consuming is dumb af

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Pussyhat Safety Pin is my punk band name

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I thought it was a little silly, but like... I don't think it undermined their cause to anybody except people who were bound not to listen (i.e. misogynists) and as a tran myself I think any trans/gq people who felt othered by it ~invoking the pussy~ or whatever are loving babies, so who cares?

I'm not gonna tell other people how to protest if they aren't actively hurting a cause I believe in, if it made them feel safer or emboldened them good on them

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i dont think it undermined them either. i just dont like the hats.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
they certainly could've picked something more bad rear end.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

so, most of my political party is comprised of closet gays (like myself) and pedos, fyi

I'm pretty sure most political parties are comprised of closet gays and pedos.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i dont think it undermined them either. i just dont like the hats.

well i dont like the hat on your dog either but if they were rolling back protections on your lgbt dog i would make my dogs wear them in solidarity :colbert:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Darkman Fanpage posted:

People could make their own though, and a tangible thing like a pussyhat or a protest button etc. is something you can use to get others interested "Whatchya wearing?" etc. and something that helps maintain your own interest in the movement because now you're invested because of this dumb hat/button you have.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I know they seem silly, but I saw the hats as a response to a looong buildup of male lawmakers and politicians legislating about women's issues while also being unable to say or hear the word vagina, and also while not having one. And while being huge dickheads. I guess I am defensively cautious whenever people poo poo on things large groups of women are doing. I flip it and wonder if men were doing the same thing, would people be so critical? Certainly not accusing anyone of anything, but people often react badly to women sticking up for themselves in ways that are not 100% serious or keeping in line with what other people think the women should do.

I should mention I haven't worn a pussy hat or attended a protest, I have just seen people making GBS threads on the hats and am wondering why. Thanks for answering me.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
lets make carrying the heads of your enemies around by the hair the next big protest trend

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

lets make carrying the heads of your enemies around by the hair the next big protest trend

do the heads still have to be attached, because i and many other americans have weak girly arms and just severing the head entirely would be easier thanks a bunch

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

do the heads still have to be attached, because i and many other americans have weak girly arms and just severing the head entirely would be easier thanks a bunch

of course theyre severed you freaking greenhorn!!! christ its like you people dont even read Jacobin or something

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

of course theyre severed you freaking greenhorn!!! christ its like you people dont even read Jacobin or something

i didn't know if this was a guillotine reference or the whole donald grabbing ivana by the hair because her hair doctor turned his scalp into a possum with mange reference

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah this. It's like they saw an industry revving up to commodify their message and were like "Oh no, please. Don't put yourself out, allow us." Pussy hats and Dreamworks faces for everyone!

The whole thing came across more like pissing dad off because dad's the worst and doesn't get you and wouldn't let you go to the eight year long prom with Hillary like your wanted, instead of trying to scare the poo poo out of a bunch of political dogsbodies so that maybe they'll collectively do something to stop the legion of doom that's running the government right now.

That and trying to make it about good vibes. gently caress everyone's good vibes. Bad vibes. The worst vibes. Feel what's actually going down and do something about it, instead of trying to The Secret your way out of the poo poo we let happen.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yer seriously missing the forest for the trees here

or, like, missing the largest protest in the history of the country for the wool hats, i guess

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

or, like, missing the largest protest in the history of the country for the wool hats, i guess

tbf those protests weren't made up of solid HB10s, it's no wonder trump saw them and thought they were small compared to his inauguration

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you do know making the step from

:haw: : "hey im gonna go out and protest" *knits a vagina hat*

to

:black101: : "hey Im gonna go out to protest"

usually isnt an overnight thing right?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its no coincidence that a bunch of congressmen are getting bullied out of the room at town halls now - the marches activated people and put them in touch with networks that help to coordinate these sorts of things.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

No, I saw the forest. Then plastered over all the reportage about this extremely important event I saw nothin' but the trees. It was a huge, uplifting story about some brave liberals standing up and saying "Let's piss off those conservatives with our spunky can-do yonic 'tude" when it could have been a terrifying story about a bunch of women and their allies declaring they're done loving around if their country won't stop targeting them. That's as much on the media's decision to craft a safe narrative, admittedly, but I'm annoyed and also like the sound of my own voice, so let me have this, ok?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

its no coincidence that a bunch of congressmen are getting bullied out of the room at town halls now - the marches activated people and put them in touch with networks that help to coordinate these sorts of things.

so you're saying we need more trigger words

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mysterious frankie posted:

Yeah this. It's like they saw an industry revving up to commodify their message and were like "Oh no, please. Don't put yourself out, allow us." Pussy hats and Dreamworks faces for everyone!

The whole thing came across more like pissing dad off because dad's the worst and doesn't get you and wouldn't let you go to the eight year long prom with Hillary like your wanted, instead of trying to scare the poo poo out of a bunch of political dogsbodies so that maybe they'll collectively do something to stop the legion of doom that's running the government right now.

That and trying to make it about good vibes. gently caress everyone's good vibes. Bad vibes. The worst vibes. Feel what's actually going down and do something about it, instead of trying to The Secret your way out of the poo poo we let happen.

Nah, you're just wrong. Plenty of time for bad vibes, this was a time for solidarity and showing that a massive physical presence could descend on the Capitol at will. It hurt the redhatters a lot that nobody came to the Inauguration and everyone came to the March. Seriously, try talking to them about it, they're still upset.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
theres supposed to be another trump march in april here in la and im gonna get an army helmet and paint it to look liiek a dick and call myself a dickhead against trump and hold a sign that says "gently caress trupm!!!" with a picture o fmy head spurting patriotic goo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

cumshitter posted:

theres supposed to be another trump march in april here in la and im gonna get an army helmet and paint it to look liiek a dick and call myself a dickhead against trump and hold a sign that says "gently caress trupm!!!" with a picture o fmy head spurting patriotic goo

im gonna dress up as a giant shuriken and throw myself at the cops

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also those people with the "dont forget white women voted for trump" signs are my heroes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

never stop posting

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
also randroid you insulted me once I think in QCS by describing me as having "a brain made entirely of tank statistics" and I thought it was a funny burn

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Nah, you're just wrong. Plenty of time for bad vibes, this was a time for solidarity and showing that a massive physical presence could descend on the Capitol at will. It hurt the redhatters a lot that nobody came to the Inauguration and everyone came to the March. Seriously, try talking to them about it, they're still upset.

How do you tell their regular baseline upset from the special disagreeableness generated by a specific event? Is there an official branded meter I can buy that will allow me to distinguish the kinds of colicky unhappiness a Trump supporter feels?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

also randroid you insulted me once I think in QCS by describing me as having "a brain made entirely of tank statistics" and I thought it was a funny burn

i was probably in a bitchy mood for some reason

i have no beef with like 90% of the people i insult, except for the Saurus

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

also those people with the "dont forget white women voted for trump" signs are my heroes

:same:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i got avatars turned off and dont even look at usernames half the time so there's a good chance i don't even know who im posting at

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
I wonder how many of these protestors will go back to sleep after the Democrats get back in power and continue Trump's policies?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
ugh why didn't these millions of marching women overthrow capitalism permanently with rifles in hand gently caress

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
there are many ways to go broke in the united states of america, but a surefire way not to is to bank on the willingness of men of all political persuasions to dismiss women as stupid, childish, or ineffectual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Power_of_the_glory posted:

I wonder how many of these protestors will go back to sleep after the Democrats get back in power and continue Trump's policies?

The fanfic thread is in another subforum.