Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Elephanthead posted:

I think we all know it is instant citizenship for lizard people.

Edit: This was the price of the Cruz endorsement.

Common mistake. Cruz is the discarded skin of a lizard person, not a lizard person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

zegermans posted:

"High Risk Pools" make no god drat sense to me. You're putting all the super sick people into one pool together to help.... lower the cost?

It's almost as if (I know this is crazy) that poo poo is designed to fail and kill off the expensive sickos.

this legitimately would not make sense unless you are familiar with the specifics of usage of medical insurance.

high risk individuals are called that because they are HIGH RISK individuals. if you give some old, hypertensive, lazy gently caress a lot of attention, load him up with blood pressure medication and get him into mandatory physical therapy to unlock his jammed up hip which is only frozen up because he doesn't goddamn do anything, the chances of you averting a non-catastrophic heart attack or stroke approach 100% very quickly. non-catastrophic, in this context, means 'that poo poo doesn't kill you'. if you have a stroke and it kills you, that is generally not that expensive because people usually die pretty quick and then it's a matter of putting them in the ground, which is not a health industry problem. healthy people will still die of a stroke, but it'll be their first stroke when they're 80 instead of their 5th when they're 70.

non-catastrophic events like that are incredibly expensive. the hospital stay is longer, the resuscitation is incredibly capital-intensive in that it requires lots of expensive machines and lots of time from very expensive people, and the person frequently doesn't recover fully so they require lots of expensive attention from expensive facilities afterward.

in short, if you can identify and pool specifically high risk individuals, you can better predict, budget, and respond to their needs - even if those people want to be curmudgeons about it. part of the problem in health insurance right now is that it's very difficult to tell who precisely is high risk and even if you identify them it's difficult to write policy to force them to get physicals and actually listen to their doctors so they don't keep chomping down on buckets of salt while their hearts literally steam like a boiler. when you hear politicians talking about preventative care, this is exactly the sort of risk discrimination poo poo they're talking about. it's good policy.

in practice, however, it'll never work until insurance companies themselves get their poo poo together with their own data, coordination with doctors, etc. you can talk about preventative care all you like, but the insurance companies are not currently set up to provide that care efficiently, effectively, and equitably. it's a problem with the merchants, not the politicians, but everyone continues to look at the clueless loving politicians to fix it when they should be demanding this crap from cigna and united healthcare.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Coolguye posted:

this legitimately would not make sense unless you are familiar with the specifics of usage of medical insurance.

high risk individuals are called that because they are HIGH RISK individuals. if you give some old, hypertensive, lazy gently caress a lot of attention, load him up with blood pressure medication and get him into mandatory physical therapy to unlock his jammed up hip which is only frozen up because he doesn't goddamn do anything, the chances of you averting a non-catastrophic heart attack or stroke approach 100% very quickly. non-catastrophic, in this context, means 'that poo poo doesn't kill you'. if you have a stroke and it kills you, that is generally not that expensive because people usually die pretty quick and then it's a matter of putting them in the ground, which is not a health industry problem. healthy people will still die of a stroke, but it'll be their first stroke when they're 80 instead of their 5th when they're 70.

non-catastrophic events like that are incredibly expensive. the hospital stay is longer, the resuscitation is incredibly capital-intensive in that it requires lots of expensive machines and lots of time from very expensive people, and the person frequently doesn't recover fully so they require lots of expensive attention from expensive facilities afterward.

in short, if you can identify and pool specifically high risk individuals, you can better predict, budget, and respond to their needs - even if those people want to be curmudgeons about it. part of the problem in health insurance right now is that it's very difficult to tell who precisely is high risk and even if you identify them it's difficult to write policy to force them to get physicals and actually listen to their doctors so they don't keep chomping down on buckets of salt while their hearts literally steam like a boiler. when you hear politicians talking about preventative care, this is exactly the sort of risk discrimination poo poo they're talking about. it's good policy.

in practice, however, it'll never work until insurance companies themselves get their poo poo together with their own data, coordination with doctors, etc. you can talk about preventative care all you like, but the insurance companies are not currently set up to provide that care efficiently, effectively, and equitably. it's a problem with the merchants, not the politicians, but everyone continues to look at the clueless loving politicians to fix it when they should be demanding this crap from cigna and united healthcare.

This post doesn't look like anything to me.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

I read this and the take away I got is "Its a lot cheaper if you just die."

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

RUM HAM posted:

Anybody know what time Spicy Boi is on today (if he's on)?

no spice today

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

when it happens the universe will cease to exist

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Feminasty Slut posted:

that's why capitalism favors the bold risk takers!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i mean if everybody just had health insurance and went to the doc regularly you catch the cancer at stage 1 instead of stage 4 which i assume saves lots of trumpbux

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

It's pretty stunning how much this kinda looks like Carter rn. Though I don't think the first month of Carter was this bad

explain?

The lack of management, the outsider turned incompetent administrator, various folks in the Cabinet fighting with each other and later resigning?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Joe the plumber and Ken bone are the gatekeeper and keymaster of conservative america.

E: Bannon is Zuul. Trump is the marshmallow destroyer.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
joe the plumber and ken bone should gently caress

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i think ken would surprise everyone by being a really aggressive top

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mormonpartyboat posted:

joe the plumber and ken bone should gently caress

they should timecop

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Feminasty Slut posted:

Joe the plumber and Ken bone are the gatekeeper and keymaster of conservative america.

E: Bannon is Zuul. Trump is the marshmallow destroyer.

gotta bone that plumbing

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

Coolguye posted:

Lol just lol @ trying to get Americans to get up off the couch and put down the lardbucket

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

quote:

Giffords issued a blistering statement in reply via Americans for Responsible Solutions, the gun violence prevention group she co-founded:

“I was shot on a Saturday morning. By Monday morning my offices were open to the public. Ron Barber — at my side that Saturday, who was shot multiple times, then elected to Congress in my stead — held town halls. It’s what the people deserve in a representative.

http://americansforresponsiblesolutions.org/2017/02/23/townhall/

Serf
May 5, 2011

Feminasty Slut posted:

and since your debt apparently dies with you, there's no downsides!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Feminasty Slut posted:

it is, but the false dichotomy that idiots get into when this stuff comes up is that expensive health care and a long life need to be taken together.

i mean even if you exercise all the time, eat right, keep your brain engaged, get just enough sun, and do literally everything else right...you are still going to die, and statistically speaking that will be from your heart just saying "nope gently caress off i'm done" sometime in your 80s or 90s. no doctor in the world can save you from that and up until that point, your generally healthy rear end will have needed little more than some checkups, a few informative lectures, and maybe some generic medications. at worst you'll take a hip replacement because your hip bone's too big for its socket or something. it's no big deal.

if you chomp down salt and sugar by the bucketful, get diabetes, glaucoma, and hypertension, and keep chomping down salt and sugar by the bucketful, you are going to have multiple medical crises, cost everyone hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, and finally loving bleed out into your own intestines sometime in your 70s. forcing someone with bad habits like that to go to the doctor and confront their own bad habits is known to reduce overall medical costs big time because you don't need these technology-as-magic interventions nearly so often. some people will continue to just be curmudgeons and refuse to do anything about their bad habits, sure, but if you can force them to at least confront them and have it on record that they gave a hard pass to the confrontation businesses can use that to plan for the worst and charge the motherfucker accordingly.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

ken bone unclog joes plumbing

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

explain?

The lack of management, the outsider turned incompetent administrator, various folks in the Cabinet fighting with each other and later resigning?

well i guess Billy Carter spent a lot of time hanging around drinking figurative piss in the form of cheap beer

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al! posted:

they should timecop

which reminds me that we need to watch ghost dad

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

magiccarpet posted:

i mean if everybody just had health insurance and went to the doc regularly you catch the cancer at stage 1 instead of stage 4 which i assume saves lots of trumpbux

saves the cancer patient lots of trumpbux

there's no money to be made in catching things early though, which is the entire problem

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

i know right away to never go to a site where the url is that long or "americans for" is anywhere in it.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

I hope the EO is about going hard against weed because there would be nationwide riots

There's not going to be nationwide riots for the right to smoke weed.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Feminasty Slut posted:

Joe the plumber and Ken bone are the gatekeeper and keymaster.

Gay for Pay Trump Bros.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Unperson_47 posted:

i know right away to never go to a site where the url is that long or "americans for" is anywhere in it.

its just a press release silly we dont josh around in this thread

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/835176456288370688

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

redneck nazgul posted:

there's no money to be made in catching things early though, which is the entire problem

There's money to be made just different and less. Diagnostics are not cheap. You can't typically detect cancer at stage 1 by routine physical examination.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vladimir Putin posted:

There's not going to be nationwide riots for the right to smoke weed.

you say that now but weed was the only thing keeping them chill

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Coolguye posted:

look at all these words to explain a retarded broke brain for profit system

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

Well that's not vague at all

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
trump signs executive order telling some other people to figure some stuff out for him

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

there's an enormous amount of money to be made in catching cancers early for the insurance companies actually

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
SU thread:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
lol federal regulations re: what? jesus

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Vladimir Putin posted:

There's money to be made just different and less. Diagnostics are not cheap. You can't typically detect cancer at stage 1 by routine physical examination.

i say i say if that there fact was a snake it woulda bit you in the dick, i say i say

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

He'll only accept answers in the form of:

"Some"
"All"
"None"

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Is there a video source for this one? Because, gently caress.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

i say i say if that there fact was a snake it woulda bit you in the dick, i say i say

chill out leghorn, goldang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the president makes the laws, its in teh constitution

• Locked thread