Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
i am so disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Honda believes they will arrive in Melbourne with an engine as good as Mercedes ended last season with. If they hit that mark and yet aren't near the front then something will have gone horribly wrong.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think Honda is the issue. It's that McLaren don't have the resources to fight to a Mercedes and Red Bull level.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think Honda is the issue. It's that McLaren don't have the resources to fight to a Mercedes and Red Bull level.

They certainly do, though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Honda was very clearly the issue with recent cars so it is hard to say how competitive the rest of the car is. I mean, it obviously probably isn't but it is hard to see the other warts when the engine was so bad.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

This is fake.

Thank loving god

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Thank loving god

http://media.cdn.mclaren.com/images/galleries/Fernando_Alonso__Stoffel_Vandoorne_2017_1.jpg

Alonso's helmet is insanely good this year, btw.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think Honda was very clearly the issue with recent cars so it is hard to say how competitive the rest of the car is. I mean, it obviously probably isn't but it is hard to see the other warts when the engine was so bad.

To me there were a couple of signs last year that the aero and chassis wasn't as great as they were claiming it was. I think if Honda is being honest with their gains than if they are out of the box on par with Ferrari at the start of the season it is a good sign, anything less will be concerning.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
That is a good helmet and Stoffel is a good looking guy so congrats all around McLaren

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Relax, it'll look better in motion:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

To me there were a couple of signs last year that the aero and chassis wasn't as great as they were claiming it was. I think if Honda is being honest with their gains than if they are out of the box on par with Ferrari at the start of the season it is a good sign, anything less will be concerning.

They weren't claiming it was great. They were quite open about the fact that they had to strip a bunch of downforce off the car in order to reach any kind of reasonable top speed.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

He's got HAMs 2008 helmet with a bit more blue pretty much. El Lobo is trying everything to get that third WDC.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Didn't Alonso say that he was definitely retiring if the 2017 car isn't "fun to drive"?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like the Ferrari. They made the right choice to :italy: up the fin.

I look forward to seb losing his loving mind in it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

They weren't claiming it was great. They were quite open about the fact that they had to strip a bunch of downforce off the car in order to reach any kind of reasonable top speed.

My issue with that was that on tracks where power shouldn't have been a significant factor where they could've bolted on downforce and the car really didn't look to be going anywhere. Singapore should've been a mega track for them and they were nowhere.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Holy poo poo that McLaren livery is hideous! The way they half assed mashed it up looks awful!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The McLaren engine and chassis had issues last year. Nothing they could have done with the development restrictions was going to do poo poo for the car.

I just hope they got good data and they aren't just a lovely mid pack.

And I'll probably cry if they are back markers again.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
the sidepods on that ferrari are ridic

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

keevo posted:

Orange I guess?

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/835082680832245760

lol so when its bright out during a race, its going to look more red than orange

The real reason why Are Jense retired finally comes to light

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I can't wait for Sniff Petrol's article.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That stupid livery is the only drat thing this thread has ever agreed on.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I think the livery designer is autistic

:smug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The McLaren livery looks like rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just saw the Ferrari. Wow. What a car.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Somebody overlay a BSG fighter over the orange shape on the airbox on the 3/4 shot

Dubs fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 24, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Vando posted:

Relax, it'll look better in motion:

Spyker had one of the best liveries ever. Ungh

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Alain Post posted:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Vando posted:

Relax, it'll look better in motion

You're right!

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

The rear wings look a bit poo poo to me. A cross between the '83 sails and A1GP with the rearward vertical sweep.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The sidepods are very cool.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
McLaren's livery reminds me of Walkinshaw Arrows. Dead team.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

My issue with that was that on tracks where power shouldn't have been a significant factor where they could've bolted on downforce and the car really didn't look to be going anywhere. Singapore should've been a mega track for them and they were nowhere.

I think their performance on slower courses was hampered by the cars low drag philosophy. Weak engine means they are not impressive on power circuits, Aero deficiencies would mean they would not be effective on slow courses either. In fact the 31's performance last year was a bit of mystery, sometimes it would do well where you wouldn't expect it to (Austria) and on tracks where you think it would have the advantage like Singapore it was nowhere like you said.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Alright, I'm off my phone and looking at it. Let's try and just look at the car itself without puking....

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Aside from the paint it looks fine. Benz and Ferrari still look the best though.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

oh hey this looks nice

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd like to see any of these free of black paint.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Vando posted:

oh hey this looks nice

If you are a dog

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Alain Post posted:

Anticipating Big Things from your Scud Studs this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Strikeout Prediction: Kimi WDC

• Locked thread