Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Immortal Hounds. I think the detective and Kazama are meant for each other.

edit: At the very least I want to find out where it's going plot-wise and what is up with the whole two worlds thing and RDS.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like some parts of immortal hounds but i don't think it is very good overall

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Grand Blue is loving incredible at setting up one to two page punchlines, though. It has the perfect framing. When a chapter's real good, you could take basically 60% of the pages as stand-alone single/double page jokes and put them in the "Convince Someone" thread.

Like, this page alone is pretty good already:

Perfect introduction of the character.

But then you get the following page and it keeps adding. College freshmen :rolleyes:

Or: Girl is hella excited to visit the beach with friends for the first time:

What could go wrong?

You should read Grand Blue

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 30, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Grand Blue is beautifully paced, filled with great characters, and shows the total devolution of a man into a totally lost cause better than anything out there.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, Grand blue is by the creators of baka test. Gonna check that out

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Grand Blue is awesome
This is legitimately amazing, I'm loving it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I follow Immortal Hounds because some day it will be over and the author will make a good manga again

e:

Mulva posted:

Grand Blue is beautifully paced, filled with great characters, and shows the total devolution of a man into a totally lost cause better than anything out there.

drat i didn't realize this took place over the first chapter :v:

Fellis fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 23, 2017

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Phimose Knight posted:

This is legitimately amazing, I'm loving it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Grand Blue is really good. The pages above are good but don't seem to do it justice.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
grand blue is everything I hoped for a baka test sequel. Less fantasy, more bros messing with each other all the time.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mindblast posted:

I think I will wait with To You the Immortal until there are a lot more chapters. Hopefully the author will reveal by then what the point of everything up until now was.

It's an incredibly depressing manga so far. It's almost too draining to read when the author builds up a character, so that you care about them, and then wipes them out.

It's like George R.R. Martin in manga form.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

It's an incredibly depressing manga so far. It's almost too draining to read when the author builds up a character, so that you care about them, and then wipes them out.

It's like George R.R. Martin in manga form.

So THAT'S why the books come so slow.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

enigma74 posted:

Grand Blue is really good. The pages above are good but don't seem to do it justice.

Yeah i know what you mean. But to really play to the strength of Grand Blue i'd have to basically post an entire chapter, 'cause when it's on a roll the jokes just keep going in perfect flow.
I also didn't find the pages with Iori's cold and the leek off-hand, it's probably my favorite instance of the one-two joke setup perfectly encapsulated per page.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

One of the best was when Chisa was trying to play off the gangs feelings of friendship for each other and the next panel is all of them basically just going "ok gently caress that we're no longer friends" and just doing exactly the opposite of what she wanted. Good gag that encapsulates a lot of the series.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The series really is at its best (and most brutal) when it's Iori and friends(?) trying to dick each other over.
Probably my favorite stand-alone chapter was the extra chapter 21.5, disconnected from the rest of the plot and requires zero knowledge about the rest of the manga and spoils nothing.

Give that a read if you haven't already.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

HenryEx posted:

The series really is at its best (and most brutal) when it's Iori and friends(?) trying to dick each other over.
Probably my favorite stand-alone chapter was the extra chapter 21.5, disconnected from the rest of the plot and requires zero knowledge about the rest of the manga and spoils nothing.

Give that a read if you haven't already.

:yeah:

Also, my favorite chapter

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

HenryEx posted:

I cannot loving believe this manga, holy poo poo. Chapter 2 and I already can't stop laughing

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Thank you for going deeper with the rec than I did. Yeah, every chapter is intensely hilarious and I'm glad more people here are looking at it now

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
raw for the first chapter of Opossums is out. this is the series that already had a one shot called ningyou no kuni (which i disliked). the title references the other seed ship in knights of sidonia. maybe nihei will explain the guana at all this time (lol no he wont he just likes to tie his stories together very loosely). features a mecha very reminiscint of tsumugi, and possibly another moe robot girl.

http://imgur.com/a/1ethy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've started on grand blue, and it turns out that i really missed the bakatest style of humor where guys are incredible assholes to each other at all times for the flimsiest of reasons.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm always super-psyched for more Nihei but the moe infestation has reached dangerous proportions, sterilisation may become necessary.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I've been binging through Grand Blue after it being recommended here and I'm not sure a series has ever made me laugh so constantly when reading it.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 25, 2017

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Relin posted:

raw for the first chapter of Opossums is out. this is the series that already had a one shot called ningyou no kuni (which i disliked). the title references the other seed ship in knights of sidonia. maybe nihei will explain the guana at all this time (lol no he wont he just likes to tie his stories together very loosely). features a mecha very reminiscint of tsumugi, and possibly another moe robot girl.

http://imgur.com/a/1ethy

Seems we don't wait for scanlations as Kodansha are simulpublishing each chapter for $2.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
two dollars a chapter? how long are the chapters? that seems like a bit much, depending on the length.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The first is 88 pages. Maybe the rest will be shorter and cheaper.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I thought it'd be like 20, 40 pages at the most, 88 is quite a chunk for two bucks then.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh look who it is

The extra chapters are almost always some of the best, so this should be a treat.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 30, 2023

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I started reading it today and I loving love it. It occasionally swerves into legitimate diving manga but mostly it's about drunk idiots who can't keep their clothes on.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Oh look who it is

The extra chapters are almost always some of the best, so this should be a treat.

This new chapter was a great microcosm of the whole manga.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I'm glad to see Grand Blue finally getting the recognition it deserves here. It's a drat good manga.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Same. I was a little wary before starting it because of the Sports tag, but that manga can go volumes without even mentioning diving. I guess they technically had a tennis match once.

Even the diving chapters can be extreme bangers though, for those of us who aren't into sports manga. Like learning about underwater hand signs:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 30, 2023

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I just finished binging it too.

It's good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
two new Dedededestructions.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dead-Dead-Demon-s-Dededededestruction/Vol-006-Ch-044?id=347839

Trump makes an appearance, greeeeeeeat~

it would also be appropriately dark for this series if the entire main cast was just suddenly blown up by a package bomb sitting on a coffee table

I think we're approaching endgame, and boy howdy there's a lot of ways this can go. I'm still of the opinion that nobody will stop the mothership from going off and everyone will die, either now or when it goes critical

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Man I love Mahjong translator notes that I'm not reading,

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Phimose Knight posted:

Man I love Mahjong translator notes that I'm not reading,

Despite all manga with mahjong, with all the translator notes explaining mahjong, I still don't understand mahjong.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Grand Blue spoilers

This is such a good loving manga lmao

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

klapman posted:

azusa is great
I'm tempted to go watch the anime actually. Anyone seens it yet, or can comment on if it's better/worse than the manga?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Hi-Score Girl got updated, and it's fantastic as usual. Guile is the best wing-man.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Chiming in to say I'm another person who decided to read Grand Blue because of this thread. And yeah, it's Good.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'll go read Grand Blue now, those expressions are too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fake detective continues to be great: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kako-to-Nise-Tantei/Vol-001-Ch-002--Those-who-drown?id=348107

after the mc in naqua-den (a huge stud that all the ladies loved), having a scrawny weirdo that everyone hates is nice.