Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:siren: Comrade Koba :siren: should modify his plan to fit his division commander's orders once they are posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

my dad posted:

:siren: Comrade Koba :siren: should modify his plan to fit his division commander's orders once they are posted.

thatbastardken posted:

General de Division Tebeka

52e, 53e and 120e are to move at best possible speed, maintaining cover at all times, to the western edge of the Clemenceau foothills. When you arrive HOLD POSITION until otherwise ordered. (Priority Order)

Was this not the orders for the current turn? :confused:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Comrade Koba posted:

Was this not the orders for the current turn? :confused:

The sirens are there to make sure you see the post, not a form of criticism. :)
I have now made official orders which may result in your Division general changing his plan, so try to check the thread at least once before the deadline to see if your orders need updates.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I will put orders up this evening, GMT-08. Once again, though, lowest priority for runners since I'm just sending a company to hide in Baguende. General Tebeka, any recommendations for a restaurant in the town? Since it has been free of the rampaging Hun, perhaps we will have a proper meal today.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sullat posted:

I will put orders up this evening, GMT-08. Once again, though, lowest priority for runners since I'm just sending a company to hide in Baguende.

Can you actually do that without changing orders to attack? Since your most likely target will be in your line of sight anyway, and it would be extremely important to be on the defense if you are to repel attacks against your positions, I'd really like to avoid this. Might it be better for another brigade to leave a chit at the foothills instead?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

sullat posted:

I will put orders up this evening, GMT-08. Once again, though, lowest priority for runners since I'm just sending a company to hide in Baguende. General Tebeka, any recommendations for a restaurant in the town? Since it has been free of the rampaging Hun, perhaps we will have a proper meal today.

The patron of the local inn is a genial old boy who's extremely salty about Alsace and Lorraine and has been gladly serving up food, wine, and cigarettes to anyone who's had more than a minute to stop and defend him from the enemy's menace.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Général de Division Bacarruda

Mon General, the 97th has been bayonet charged by two enemy brigades. Has taken near 50% losses. The Cavalry Brigade has been driven off Le Oeuf. Guns are lost, brigade likely routed.

--

ORDERS

Divisions HQ -- Return to Clemenceau ASAP.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Out of character, yeah, I'm fully aware of this.

At the very least, it doesn't actually cost you anything to send out those orders, maybe the cavalry will rally, and maybe the other brigade will pass both morale checks and have a chit at least doing something. It's not like "CHAAAAAAAARGE" is a top secret order. :D

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bacarruda posted:

Guns are lost, brigade likely routed.

I am not routing, I am charging after my men!

Get back here or I'll shoot you like the bicyclists!

(I have no real expectations of actually being able to rally the men, but I'll throw together orders for if I do)

Hephasto
Oct 11, 2007
I agree, I agree, it's all about that skreee.
Well chaps, looks like you're in a spot of bother. Let's see what the B.E.F. can do about that.

The BEF 2nd Brigade enters the map here in marching formation.

It will immediately divert West directly towards Quatreprouts.

When the town of Graisse is in sight, the 2nd will assume the following battle Formation:

During the advance on Quatreprouts, if any Germans are sighted in the area between Graisse and Quatreprouts (including within the town of Quatreprouts itself) the 2nd's infantry companies will immediately advance upon them in a bayonet charge until the enemy are routed or destroyed.

During this time, the brigade's artillery asset will move into range of the enemy and begin unlimbering. Once un-limbered, they will fire until there is nothing left to fire at. The brigade's machinegun company will be deployed, base to base, left of the artillery asset for defensive purposes. At the same time, the brigade's engineering will create a barbed wire barricade between the artillery + machine gun assets and the enemy. Brigade command will take up a position behind the artillery.

Once the bayonet charge is inevitably succcesful at driving off the cowardly Hun, the artillery will re-limber and the brigade will resume it's original march on Quatreprouts, taking and securing the town.

When the town of Quatreprouts is secure, the 2nd will assume the best approximation of the following battle formation, oriented north towards La Oeuf.

It will then advance on La Oeuf, once again bayonet charging any German assets between themselves and the objective. When engaging the enemy the artillery, machine gun, and engineering assets will repeat their orders re: unlimbering + firing and defensive machinegun and barbed wire placement. When the enemy has been driven off the ridge, the 2nd brigade will take up the following reverse slope defensive position on La Oeuf.

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance:
Turn and move directly towards enemy

When attacking the enemy:
Launch a Bayonet Charge

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed:
Do not pursue

Break Off automatically when:
2/3 casualties are taken

Now then, let's give the Hun a thrashing shall we?

(Note: this is my first set of orders incorporating artillery. Feel free to notify me if something is off.)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Général de Brigade Téhan II, Réservistes de Artillerie

As the brigade is now effectively cut off, the new instructions to my men (assuming that I do become able to perform a change of orders) are quite simple:

Not one step back.

All three conditionals from the previous orders are countermanded. The standing order for breaking off automatically is changed to never.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Comrade Koba posted:

Général de brigade Comrade Koba

Orders for 52nd Brigade

Brigade will pull back from La Cote, moving towards the western part of the Clemenceau foothils as indicated by the arrow.

Upon arrival, brigade will deploy as indicated below and entrench their position as quickly as possible.

Standing orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

Approving these orders.

6 Division HQ will travel south to Livredepot, then west to Clemenceau

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
FYI Hephasto, there's no benefit to remaining in marching order if you're not using the roads. So unless Trin has specified for you to use marching order, come on in in battle order to save the one turn of switching from marching order to battle order.

Also, unlimbering the guns takes one full turn, as does re-limbering them. If you're moving them in short bursts, they should be manhandled. E: Just saw they have to be limbered. Disregard the manhandling suggestion. Should have known that Edwardians wouldn't approve of manhandling things.

sullat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 25, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Trin Tragula posted:

The two 75mm batteries that you didn't put in that first image have returned to you and will appear on the map, unlimbered and ready to fire, at any location within 16" of your Brigade HQ that you nominate.

The 155s...you'll see about those.

Shoot, entrench etc

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
53rd Brigade

Following new divisional orders, the 53rd will move down to the western part of Clemenceau (red arrow):

On the new location, the 53rd will entrench in these positions:

(Don't include the 75mm gun, my mistake).

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path.

When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire.

Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

Sixkiller fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 25, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sixkiller posted:

53rd Brigade
On the new location, the 53rd will entrench in these positions:

Seat's taken :v:

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Loel posted:

Seat's taken :v:

Well, poo poo. Sorry about that, thought my 75mm survived.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Adjusting my formation to stick this little rifle company up to Baguende to hide out in the outskirts of the town and keep an eye on things from the top of the hill. All other companies are to shoot at the enemy if he pokes his ugly head out, or, failing that, keep digging in! The little rifle company can also dig in once he reaches baguende.

All current standing orders remain the same.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 25, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sixkiller posted:

Well, poo poo. Sorry about that, thought my 75mm survived.

Its fine, just move south of the city :D You can extend the trenches and we can be friends.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
120th Reserve Brigade

All companies are to turn 90 degress left and march in a column along La Cote, dragging the artillery, and adopting these positions at 3 turns after the order to move goes out. The little space in outside of Baguende is for sullat's infantry spotter.

If no boche movements are sighted, the brigade is to continue travelling West along this path, stopping to defend for one turn in the farm, and then switching to attack and continuing to move West.

If there is room, the brigade will attempt to take positions West of Clemenceau, but will otherwise deploy as depicted.

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Stop and Defend

When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire.

Break Off automatically when: Fight to the last man.

Trin, if the column snake doesn't fly, I don't want the brigade to be walking on the slope all hosed up and flankable. Have them do this if that's the case.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 25, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

sullat posted:

Adjusting my formation to stick this little rifle company up to Baguende to hide out and keep an eye on things from the top of the hill. All other companies are to shoot at the enemy if he pokes his ugly head out, or, failing that, keep digging in! The little rifle company can also dig in once he reaches baguende.

All current standing orders remain the same.

Make sure he is in the outskirts of Baguende, not inside the town itslf or else he can't actually spot anything. You can't see in or out of a town.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:siren:Division generals are to assign priorities to their orders in the format provided by Trin. 2 brigades with the highest priority, and the rest in a descending order of priority.:siren:

tbk needs only a slight modification since he gave 3 brigades top priority instead of 2. Bacarruda hasn't yet issued any orders or priorities to his brigades.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

52e and 53e have 1st priority

55e and 120e have 2nd Priority

Hephasto
Oct 11, 2007
I agree, I agree, it's all about that skreee.
(Reformatting this post to make it more readable - blame the fresh out of school translator who has never actually spoken French out loud until today)

Second draft of orders for the B.E.F Second Brigade

The 2nd Brigade enters the map here in marching formation.

It will immediately orient itself West towards Quatreprouts, take the following battle formation, and then advance on Quatreprouts using the following vector.

During the advance on Quatreprouts, if any Germans are sighted in the area between Graisse and Quatreprouts (including within the town of Quatreprouts itself) the 2nd's infantry companies will immediately advance upon them in a bayonet charge until the enemy are routed or destroyed.

During this time, the brigade's artillery asset will move into range of the enemy and begin unlimbering. Once un-limbered, they will fire until there is nothing left to fire at. The brigade's machinegun company will be deployed, base to base, left of the artillery asset for defensive purposes. At the same time, the brigade's engineering will create a barbed wire barricade between the artillery + machine gun assets and the enemy. Brigade command will take up a position behind the artillery.

Once the bayonet charge is inevitably successful at driving off the cowardly Hun, the artillery will re-limber and the brigade will resume it's original march on Quatreprouts, taking and securing the town.

When the town of Quatreprouts is secure, the 2nd will assume the best approximation of the following battle formation, oriented north towards La Oeuf.

It will then advance on La Oeuf, once again bayonet charging any German assets between themselves and the objective. When engaging the enemy the artillery, machine gun, and engineering assets will repeat their orders re: unlimbering + firing and defensive machinegun and barbed wire placement. When the enemy has been driven off the ridge, the 2nd brigade will take up the following reverse slope defensive position on La Oeuf.

Standing orders before Quatreprouts has been taken:

Continue towards original objective

When attacking the enemy:
Launch a Bayonet Charge

Do not pursue

Break Off automatically when:
Fight to the last man

Adjustments to standing orders AFTER Quatreprouts has been taken:

Turn to face the enemy

Pursue the enemy

Hephasto fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 25, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

*breaks finger pushing the "Give this man a medal" button*

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:frogsiren:Emergency orders in case General Bacarrette doesn't issue orders to his brigades in time: :frogsiren:

Highest priority:
97th infantry brigade is to charge Graisse and fight there to the last man.
6th cavalry brigade is to do the same.

Lesser priority:
Reserve artillery brigade is to hold its ground at any cost, and not move out until further orders are given.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Edited my orders. Are final now!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
97th Brigade orders

pre:
 This is it men. The final hour. The chance for us to redeem ourselves and win glory eternal for ourselves and the brigade. 

À la mort et à la gloire!
All surviving units charge into Graisse and kill any Boche trying to enter the village.

Conditional Orders

Hold place no matter what
Retreat when: Never

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Could someone please draw orders for the cavalry in the next 25 minutes? Just an arrow pointing at Graisse with EN AVANT! written next to it or something

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cavalry

Cavalry are to rally and charge to Graisse to defend the village to the last man.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

6th Brigade orders

pre:
To the ladies and women of France, Morituri te Salutant!

It has been an honor, please send a rose to the ladies of Paris and burn my black book.
See previous post because editing pictures isn't easy. If they get into Graisse before the enemy, set up the cavalry in the outskirts on the north side, with the MG behind them for the range bonus.

my dad posted:

Could someone please draw orders for the cavalry in the next 25 minutes? Just an arrow pointing at Graisse with EN AVANT! written next to it or something

Thanks. My graphics card broke. Not a happy camper.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 25, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

edit: adjudication complete, results post pending

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 25, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

:f5:

edit: :f5:

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 25, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEek098QcrU

Turn 18: 1530
French initiative

Both your marooned regular brigades in the East change their orders and get moving. The 120th fails to change; the 55th's orders are invalid. Either all infantry companies must move when changing stance, or nobody moves.

A right royal clusterfuck ensues on Dejeuner Ridge; again, the 97th fails to change orders. Instead, winning initiative, General Hunt11 draws his sword, and those infantry companies who are still eligible charge their German opponents! Your cavalry company, always just slightly out of rifle range, now saddles up and charges the Germans coming over the top of La Oeuf! The other end of the line is rapidly caving in as your enemies bravely charge your machine guns.

Everyone opens fire at once; the German chargers are all thrown back and killed, while Hunt11's sword personally accounts for two of their companies across the line! All your guns and one MG company are taken out. The 97th makes a morale check...

...and succeeds! Buoyed by the success, it receives new orders and prepares to withdraw to Graisse...

Crucially, many of the companies who were forced to retreat suppressed rally from suppression. The 6th Cavalry is now eligible to attempt to change its orders.

Turn 19: 1600
French initiative

22nd Division's return to Clemenceau goes smoothly, and as they go, they see something. The British are coming! The British are coming! The British! The British are coming! And, not only that, but they appear to have found something that belongs to you...

Such jollity aside, the 120th gets underway as the eastern redeployment continues.

The 97th and 6th Cavalry both converge on Graisse and rush to set up defensive positions in the town.

You are not pursued. The Germans, it seems, have better things to do. This is the first turn in a long time with nobody opening fire.

Turn 20: 1630
French initiative

Go West, life isn't peaceful there.

The BEF continues its approach march as the men in Graisse hunker down and their MGs open fire at a forming enemy formation on the hillside.

Two suppressions, but no kills going into the rally phase.

The punishing heat dies down a little as the summer sun begins the long, slow process of setting over the battlefield. Night falls, don't forget, at the end of Turn 27.

Turn 21: 1700
German initiative

The BEF, pushing hard, is nearly within sight of Faibleimpot.

Your machine-guns open up again; one kill, one suppression this time.

That forces a crucial morale check for the Germans...and they pass!

How many more times can they rally? How long can the 97th hold out? How long until the 6th Division arrives? Find out next time...

You have lost 124 companies; the enemy has lost 135.

:siren: Next soft deadline is 5pm GMT, Monday 27 February.

(Now tell me what I forgot.)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

.... hunh.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Unnervingly quiet, but kind of successful?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Those trenches on the north are interesting.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

They bode well for our choice of direction, I think.

Trin Tragula posted:

Turn 21: 1700
German initiative

The BEF, pushing hard, is nearly within sight of Faibleimpot.

Quatreprouts? Graisse?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

xthetenth posted:

They bode well for our choice of direction, I think.

Quatreprouts? Graisse?

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Somehow we managed to hold on

• Locked thread