Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Regular, sane criminals - the mobsters and crime lords he became Batman to fight - he wants them scared shitless. He's usually been pretty up front about wanting to help the ones with horrible medical conditions like Mr. Freeze. At least when he's not being written as Miller style All Star "Goddamn Batman".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

For all of it's game crippling bugs amd how annoyed people were about the Joker being in it, Arkham Origins had the best story and development of Batman's character.

This bit of dialogue between Batman and Alfred is hands down one of the best treatments of Batman in any medium.

quote:

Batman: Arkham Origins (2013)

Alfred Pennyworth: Master Bruce. Stop. Master Bruce. BRUCE!

Bruce Wayne: What are you...

Alfred Pennyworth: I will not in good conscience allow you to go. You are outmatched by these assassins and...

Bruce Wayne: I'm what?

Alfred Pennyworth: ...you're not some hardened vigilante. You're a young man with a trust fund and too much anger. You are in over your head and I don't want this to be your end.

Bruce Wayne: Alfred, who do you see when you look at me? The boy whose shoes you used to tie every morning, the teenager you drove to his first date? While you are here every night, I am out there... the ONLY THING between the innocent and the predatory...

Alfred Pennyworth: You may be, but...

Bruce Wayne: No, not 'may be'. I am. When the mugger or the thief stop to think twice, that is fear. That is what I am. That is why they hired assassins - because I am the reason the criminals breathe easier when the sun rises. So no, Alfred, I am NOT in over my head. Tonight will not be my end. But it will be theirs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Question IRL posted:

For all of it's game crippling bugs amd how annoyed people were about the Joker being in it, Arkham Origins had the best story and development of Batman's character.

I hated Origins' story and Batman's character in it. It was the worst it's ever been.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I hated Origins' story and Batman's character in it. It was the worst it's ever been.

Really. Origins, of all things, is the Worst Batman Ever.

The worst

Batman

has ever

been

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 24, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I meant in the context of the arkham games GOSH.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I hate Kevin Smith so much. What the everloving gently caress

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

I hate Kevin Smith so much. What the everloving gently caress

Have you ever gotten high and had a phenomenal loving idea, man only to sober up and realize it's dumb horseshit?

Kevin Smith doesn't get sober anymore.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Which one of those was Smith

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The DD one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought that Smith's unforgivable sin was making Batman pee pee his pants.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You left out the pages of ASBAR where Batman forces Robin to eat rats to survive in the batcave. This is like maybe a day after he saw his parents die

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Phylodox posted:

Have you ever gotten high and had a phenomenal loving idea, man only to sober up and realize it's dumb horseshit?

Kevin Smith doesn't get sober anymore.

No, I'm not gonna let you blame weed for Kevin Smith being a loving hack. He'd be just as lovely a writer sober.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

purple death ray posted:

No, I'm not gonna let you blame weed for Kevin Smith being a loving hack. He'd be just as lovely a writer sober.

How will you ever know?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm sure he's written like at least one panel sober... maybe

I hope his wife laughed at him after reading that tho, double digits one time ain't worth a nickname dude

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

I thought that Smith's unforgivable sin was making Batman pee pee his pants.

The whole loving series was attrocius. There's one issue Batman and DD are loving on an island, and loving aquaman shows up because she was screaming so much the dolphins thought she needed help.
Some new bad guy breaks joker out of jail, and joker thanks him by offering the guy his rear end. Like, literally, pulls down his pants and offers the guy to gently caress him.
That woman? She gets fridged in a pretty stupid way.
It also has a lovely killing joke "inspired" conversation between Bats and joker. It's just terrible.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kevin Smith was stone sober up until Zach & Miri bombed. He crawled into a joint after that and hasn't left since.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

McCloud posted:

The whole loving series was attrocius. There's one issue Batman and DD are loving on an island, and loving aquaman shows up because she was screaming so much the dolphins thought she needed help.
Some new bad guy breaks joker out of jail, and joker thanks him by offering the guy his rear end. Like, literally, pulls down his pants and offers the guy to gently caress him.
That woman? She gets fridged in a pretty stupid way.
It also has a lovely killing joke "inspired" conversation between Bats and joker. It's just terrible.

You're actually describing two different lovely Kevin Smith Batman comics here. The Joker stuff was in Cacophony, and everything involving Silver St. Cloud was in Widening Gyre. Because Kevin Smith's writing is too lovely to be contained by just one story. The reference to Batman pissing himself ("bladder spasm") was also in Widening Gyre, in which Batman takes a new vigilante under his wing and tells him stuff he'd never tell Dick or Babs or anyone he's built up years of trust with. And then he lets the new vigilante into the Batcave and unmasks for him after working with the guy for about a week. What a shock that the new guy turned out to be Kevin Smith Original Character (dns) Onomatopoeia and immediately slit Silver's throat because Batman doesn't bother with silly things like situational awareness or reflexes. To be continued! (It was not continued, because the concept of mercy still exists somewhere in the universe)

Conclusion: Kevin Smith is one of the worst writers in comic book history.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

haitfais posted:

You're actually describing two different lovely Kevin Smith Batman comics here. The Joker stuff was in Cacophony, and everything involving Silver St. Cloud was in Widening Gyre. Because Kevin Smith's writing is too lovely to be contained by just one story. The reference to Batman pissing himself ("bladder spasm") was also in Widening Gyre, in which Batman takes a new vigilante under his wing and tells him stuff he'd never tell Dick or Babs or anyone he's built up years of trust with. And then he lets the new vigilante into the Batcave and unmasks for him after working with the guy for about a week. What a shock that the new guy turned out to be Kevin Smith Original Character (dns) Onomatopoeia and immediately slit Silver's throat because Batman doesn't bother with silly things like situational awareness or reflexes. To be continued! (It was not continued, because the concept of mercy still exists somewhere in the universe)

I was just about to mention how said fridging was done by loving Onomatopoeia.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Onomatopoeia was an all right c-lister addition to Batman's expansive rogues gallery, trying to turn him into this super awesome genius who can fool even Batman basically ruined the character's value.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

You left out the pages of ASBAR where Batman forces Robin to eat rats to survive in the batcave. This is like maybe a day after he saw his parents die

Admittedly, it's hard to tell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

haitfais posted:

Buddy that stuff's not even bottom 50.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

He started smoking weed when he make Zack and Miri, and Seth Rogan started getting him hosed up on it. Before then he would make stoner humor without actually being a stoner himself.

You can clearly see a significant change in him and his work if you watched a lot of his stuff. The best example would be his Q&A sessions he made videos of. Too Fat For 40 was after he became big into pot, and it was just depressing to see this guy with some really interesting, funny, and insightful stories to tell spend 3 hours talking about taking a poo poo while stoned.

Edit: Maybe it was only 2 hours. Can't remember if I watched the regular edition of SUPER SPECIAL EDITION with 90 more minutes of poop stories. But the point is Kevin Smith wasn't the best, but at one point his brain worked.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 24, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

Really. Origins, of all things, is the Worst Batman Ever.

The worst

You know, I wonder if Batgirls costume had nipples too, but then SIlverstone refused or something and they covered them up with those weird cups.

Stewart has said he's also retiring from X-men movies, but that shouldn't really be a surprise should it? Also rumors are again that Affleck wants to drop Batman after The Batman comes out. Again, not really new. Though I've heard two rumors about Leto, one he's in training for an upcoming film that Features the Joker but also that he's been told in no uncertain terms he had his chance and will not be reprising her role in Suicide Squad 2 or The Batman.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 25, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think it's so strange that Mr. Freeze is holding a life saving serum hostage from Batman and then holds him at gunpoint to try and force him into doing something for him while Bruce is on two separate life threatening timers

and somehow people think Batman is some huge rear end in a top hat for not being thrilled about it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
People still think ASB&R is bad? :psyduck:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr Hootington posted:

Everything Frank Miller has done since the 80s ended has been bad.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mr Hootington posted:

Has it changed substantially since it was released?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/834057572550324227

:negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. the "it's ironically bad" point is defeated by "actually seeing anything Frank Miller has said in the past decade."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Del Toro's life is cursed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patrick Stewart is saying that Logan is going to be his last X-Men movie as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Patrick Stewart is saying that Logan is going to be his last X-Men movie as well.

That isn't a huge surprise TBH. It seems like a good film for him to go out on too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now they better hope McAvoy doesn't want to go, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He does a lot of weird movies so I doubt he's ever going to think he's too good for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I would be more than ok with never seeing Wolverine/Professor X/Magneto/Mystique in another X-Men movie. I don't care that it doesn't make timeline sense. Nothing makes timeline sense in the X-Men movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't want to see Magneto or Mystique for a long time, but we haven't seen McAvoy actually play Professor X yet so I'd like to see him get at least one chance without those anchors.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

X-O posted:

I would be more than ok with never seeing Wolverine/Professor X/Magneto/Mystique in another X-Men movie. I don't care that it doesn't make timeline sense. Nothing makes timeline sense in the X-Men movies.

By one metric they are pretty good adaptions then.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

I can't be the only one who thinks this is good news.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

He does a lot of weird movies so I doubt he's ever going to think he's too good for it.

He's also a pretty big nerd apparently as well, so he's probably into the whole thing in a way that some of the other actors aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

haitfais posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks this is good news.

Nah, I'm with you, I've found all of his English language genre stuff to be disappointing at best, outright garbage in most cases. Very nice chap, though.

• Locked thread