Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I mean, they're cool. I don't have anything against nostalgia either but tape collecting should be relegated to weird cool thrift finds, not 2017 albums. It's a technology that doesn't hold any real usefulness or appeal to me personally.

I bought a bunch in the 80s and I was glad to have them at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

I mean, they're cool. I don't have anything against nostalgia either but tape collecting should be relegated to weird cool thrift finds, not 2017 albums. It's a technology that doesn't hold any real usefulness or appeal to me personally.

on the one hand i agree modern tapes are dumb, on the other hand if they re-pressed the hotline miami osts to cassette i would be all over that like a fat man at a buffet

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dewgy posted:

on the one hand i agree modern tapes are dumb, on the other hand if they re-pressed the hotline miami osts to cassette i would be all over that like a fat man at a buffet

oh my god this

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

...same

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah bunch of metal bands are doing tapes, loving stupid. Any thoughts on color vs black 180 gram?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good lord, :lol::lol::lol:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Pokey Araya posted:

Yeah bunch of metal bands are doing tapes, loving stupid. Any thoughts on color vs black 180 gram?

I vote for the 100/100/300 thing you said, and I know you didn't ask but I vote one of the colors is purple

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

100/100/300 sounds perfect. Color suggestions: seafoam green, orange, birch beer red.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
We're thinking something like this, still figuring out labels. The album cover is an oil painting thats very dark blue and a touch of orange, seems kinda fitting. Thanks for your replies, I'll definitely post em when they're off the presses.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Chrpno posted:

And what a joy it always is discovering a new Henry video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCdV6lqLLAg

HK lets loose at 2:20 in a blistering display that licks the asses of Belew, Reeves Gabrels.... Bowie shoulda signed him up.
This video just loving murdered my dog.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bill Posters posted:

Yes. This has been going on for a few years now.

Pokey, you should record nothing to the tapes and see if anyone even notices.

yeah tapes first became a thing in the noise scene in the mid-2000s

which makes sense because it's like having a guest performer on each track

Dr. Faustus posted:

This video just loving murdered my dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnNpx0R7hQ

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 24, 2017

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I know some guys in Grindcore/crust punk/blak metal scenes who will do tapes exclusively, and preferably make all the copies themselves. It's all about the demand.

For me, if I want to listen to music in my car I need CD or tapes. I can use my phone and an FM converter to get spotify or whatever on the stereo, but the quality will always be shittier.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
like I get what kaiser is trying to do but it's sloppy as gently caress, like not even in the "good musician pretending to play badly but well" but instead in "I don't really have the chops for this improvisation" kind of way. makes the smug "you just don't *get* it" edgelords in the YT comments even funnier

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I thought this was Henry getting real freaky, but it's a pretty straight cover of a ZZ Top song. Still incompetent though

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
To add to format chat: Stop selling vinyls without download codes! I want to be able to listen to the music outside of my house but lol just lol if you expect me to record and encode this thing myself.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

God that bassist will never not be the best.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Holy poo poo I've never seen this, it's the absolute best, I hate it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM

like everything i blame it on taking the bible out of schools

sout posted:

Holy poo poo I've never seen this, it's the absolute best, I hate it.

:catstare:

So... while this is overall the shittiest of lovely wank, there are actually a few moments of truly amazing musicianship (i.e. unironically brilliant music-making) in it.

Basically, anybody who pays money for this poo poo needs to get their head checked, but I would sample a couple of 4s segments and turn them into real songs if I wasn't a lazy gently caress.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
I am easily swayed by coloured vinyl (ordered the new Pissed Jeans LP today, drat straight I shopped around for the lavender coloured edition)

also the choices were vinyl, CD, and yes indeed, cassette

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HandlingByJebus posted:

So... while this is overall the shittiest of lovely wank, there are actually a few moments of truly amazing musicianship (i.e. unironically brilliant music-making) in it.

Basically, anybody who pays money for this poo poo needs to get their head checked, but I would sample a couple of 4s segments and turn them into real songs if I wasn't a lazy gently caress.

the actual track with drums is a lot better but it's still just run of the mill riff salad

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the actual track with drums is a lot better but it's still just run of the mill riff salad

Yeah, I'm sure it could work with proper production and instrumentation but the video is just a perfect storm of all the right douchey things, especially the name of the artist and album

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

HandlingByJebus posted:

That is great musicianship on the same level that being a fast typist is being a great writer.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Trig Discipline posted:

That is great musicianship on the same level that being a fast typist is being a great writer.

Did you listen to the whole thing? Hard, I know. But these sections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM&t=97s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM&t=106s

...are both pretty cool riffs that with a bit of tweaking could be parts of a genuinely good song. Which was my point.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trig Discipline posted:

This is an extremely accurate comparison that I've always struggled to find myself.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

post more stupid poo poo

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Would

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

HandlingByJebus posted:

Did you listen to the whole thing? Hard, I know. But these sections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM&t=97s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniXxeTJlyM&t=106s

...are both pretty cool riffs that with a bit of tweaking could be parts of a genuinely good song. Which was my point.

I listened to the whole thing. Those might be the best bits, but they aren't anything extraordinary. If they have anything to recommend them, it's that they are the least wanky bits of the entire song (if you can call an obstacle course for the fingers a "song"), and as such are the bits that are the most recognizable as some sort of music. Taken in isolation, they aren't particularly distinguishable from any random metal riff. But in context I can see how you might see them as exceptional based solely on the relief you feel due to the other bits of the song having stopped.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fair Hallion posted:

I am easily swayed by coloured vinyl (ordered the new Pissed Jeans LP today, drat straight I shopped around for the lavender coloured edition)

also the choices were vinyl, CD, and yes indeed, cassette

Coloured vinyl is dad af, but on the other hand Pissed Jeans are a great dad band these days. I love that we're due to get a few decades of screaming hardcore bands complaining about their back pains and male pattern baldness.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

I'm playing a horrible game of "would you rather" with myself by thinking about which I would rather listen to three times in a row...

1. the 'music' part of this video
2. the impossibly pretentious group name/song title announcement at the beginning, said proudly and without a hint of irony.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
You know something's gone wrong with the Chapman stick when a Dream Theater song is the best example of it. New Millennium is a pretty decent song I think. I'd link but phone posting while drinking is a pain in the rear end

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

darkwasthenight posted:

I love that we're due to get a few decades of screaming hardcore bands complaining about their back pains and male pattern baldness.

http://www.trouserpress.com/entry.php?a=iron_prostate

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dirt posted:

post more stupid poo poo

this owns tho

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

includes helpful 'racism is stupid' reminder!

grandma's couch fever dream?

custom! extremely rare! hand-made! 9000 pounds!

really though for true craftsmanship you have to go with devil and sons guitars store:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/devilandsonsguitars?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

and even more comfortable:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dirt posted:

post more stupid poo poo

i'm extremely triggered by the fact that the pickups don't have stupid covers or at least gaudy bobbin colors

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FiestaNinja posted:

includes helpful 'racism is stupid' reminder!

grandma's couch fever dream?

I like both of those. Maybe black isn't the best color for the hardware on that Tele tho.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

I listened to the whole thing. Those might be the best bits, but they aren't anything extraordinary. If they have anything to recommend them, it's that they are the least wanky bits of the entire song (if you can call an obstacle course for the fingers a "song"), and as such are the bits that are the most recognizable as some sort of music. Taken in isolation, they aren't particularly distinguishable from any random metal riff. But in context I can see how you might see them as exceptional based solely on the relief you feel due to the other bits of the song having stopped.

:feelsgood:

I think you're exactly right.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Dirt posted:

post more stupid poo poo

This is what happens when you do DMT before starting your build.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dirt posted:

post more stupid poo poo

Got a link to this? The more I see it he more I like it, I'd like to see how it was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

darkwasthenight posted:

Coloured vinyl is dad af, but on the other hand Pissed Jeans are a great dad band these days. I love that we're due to get a few decades of screaming hardcore bands complaining about their back pains and male pattern baldness.

hell yeah! You wanna know my health plan? I stay away from doctors!

• Locked thread