Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

He was "close" but only if Pat tells him about the jump attack the dragon butt trick.

Considering Pat seems unaware of even the early nerfing of elemental weapons, I doubt he knows about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rodyle posted:

Considering Pat seems unaware of even the early nerfing of elemental weapons, I doubt he knows about that.

He actually talked about that right as Woolie got into the Painted world. Walking up the stairs to the first few undead he was talking about exactly that.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I know in the earlier RE games running past enemies was a viable strategy because those games didn't shower you with ammo. But in RE7 it seems like taking out enemies that you see isn't really much of an issue resources-wise, am I right? I mean Pat ran past every enemy that didn't physically block his path and ended Mia's section with like 100 bullets and 5 remote bombs, which seems silly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Foxhound posted:

I know in the earlier RE games running past enemies was a viable strategy because those games didn't shower you with ammo. But in RE7 it seems like taking out enemies that you see isn't really much of an issue resources-wise, am I right? I mean Pat ran past every enemy that didn't physically block his path and ended Mia's section with like 100 bullets and 5 remote bombs, which seems silly.

And you can make more ammo pretty easily if you've been using the stimulants/finding the items. RE7 gives you enough ammo to easily kill every enemy and still have a safe stash left over at the difficulty they're on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
RE7 is kind of brilliantly made.

You can play it any number of goddamn ways and all of them work out excellently.

You want to run past everything? You can!

You want to bring the pain and go toe to toe with every enemy? Go for it!

Mix of both, sure why not!

Want a more classic style where ammo is scarce? Up the difficulty.

Want ridiculous challenges? Only open the box three times, do it!

I love this dumb spore filled game

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pat plays it a bit dumb but I like his commitment to it and am glad he's not doing a more "vanilla" run.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno if I agree with "you can run past everything!". Other than stalkers and the ship, most fights happen in narrow corridors, with enemies that can sprint towards you and a decent amount of ammo laying about. By design, the game feels like it's telling you to blow up the Molded, at least your first time around. You CAN tank a couple of hits and make it past them, I suppose, but you're just kinda trading off what resource you wanna use.

I mean, in the end it doesn't matter and he's still gonna beat the game but it feels like an awkward way to do it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, I've seen a lot of people try to run past enemies in the Baker basement, on the way to the dissection room, and I've never seen anyone come out without a couple of hits because of the 5 or so molded there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dexie posted:

I can't believe Pat let Woolie go into the Painted World.

I wonder how many episodes he's going to be stuck here for?

I've never played Dark Souls but not going back to that guy in the cage (Logan?) bugs me for some reason. Am I becoming one of the Fans?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I've never played Dark Souls but not going back to that guy in the cage (Logan?) bugs me for some reason. Am I becoming one of the Fans?

Welcome to the fandom. One of us, One of us.

Also, since he's not doing Sorcery, he isn't too screwed. Unless he really, really wants that Big Hat.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Logan is fine for awhile. I finished up Anor Londo on NG+ just the other night and went and got him afterwards.

Jerk doesn't sell me his sorcery till the archives because I'm a dumbo though. :argh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Foxhound posted:

I'm not very familiar with any of the not-so-actiony games (4,5,6) don't they usually give you plenty of ammo by the end to actually fight things?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly regarding RE7 I'm disappointed you didn't get other assholes following you as you progressed like Jack did and either forced you to play stealthily or waste ammo on him or risk being hurt.

The first part really is the most memorable part of RE7 to me. It's as classic re as you'll get, exploring a run down mansion with an unstoppable force looking for you solving puzzles.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Don't worry, that feeling isn't exclusive to the audience, Woolie is also audibly peeved about getting side-tracked into the painted world.

They'll probably get back to it after Abbot and Costello I hope

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dias posted:

I dunno if I agree with "you can run past everything!". Other than stalkers and the ship, most fights happen in narrow corridors, with enemies that can sprint towards you and a decent amount of ammo laying about. By design, the game feels like it's telling you to blow up the Molded, at least your first time around. You CAN tank a couple of hits and make it past them, I suppose, but you're just kinda trading off what resource you wanna use.

I mean, in the end it doesn't matter and he's still gonna beat the game but it feels like an awkward way to do it.

You can definitely run past everything, but it's not always the optimal situation. Or you may need to expend a handgun bullet to get the enemy to recoil which then lets you run past them, rather than running past them w/o using anything.

That said that is entirely unnecessary on Normal mode (unless you're trying to beat the game under 4 hours in which case you do want to run past everything). They give you so much ammunition, that I killed pretty much every enemy in the game and still had a shitton of ammunition for the salt mines shooting gallery.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Genocyber posted:

You can definitely run past everything, but it's not always the optimal situation. Or you may need to expend a handgun bullet to get the enemy to recoil which then lets you run past them, rather than running past them w/o using anything.

That said that is entirely unnecessary on Normal mode (unless you're trying to beat the game under 4 hours in which case you do want to run past everything). They give you so much ammunition, that I killed pretty much every enemy in the game and still had a shitton of ammunition for the salt mines shooting gallery.

I've mentioned this before, but when you learn that the shotgun is your main weapon the combat kinda gets trivialized. I tried doing the boiler room without it and got DESTROYED, then I got it, one-shotted every molded and realized there's no reason for me to ever equip the handgun again.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Just gonna say, I totally called the Painted World detour. Much like you guys (and Woolie), I wish it had waited. Willing to bet Woolie will turn around a little on the detour when he gets to the end and meets Waifu-Prime, through.

Also, RE VII looks good. Without spoiling too much, anyone know how close we are to the end? Seems like things are being revealed pretty quickly and may be coming to a head. Mostly, I just want to know what the deal with Lucas was.

And maybe someone else could correct me, but it seems like the guys misinterpreted the scene where Ethan is talking to the non-crazy Mr. Baker. Seems to me that when Ethan was stuck in the mold goo he had some kind of psychic connection to the Bakers through the goo, which allowed him to talk to their normal, human sides...? Did anyone else get that impression? Because Pat's idea that it happened way earlier and was a flashback doesn't make much sense to me in the context of the story. Maybe I missed something.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoboTech posted:

Also, RE VII looks good. Without spoiling too much, anyone know how close we are to the end? Seems like things are being revealed pretty quickly and may be coming to a head. Mostly, I just want to know what the deal with Lucas was.

And maybe someone else could correct me, but it seems like the guys misinterpreted the scene where Ethan is talking to the non-crazy Mr. Baker. Seems to me that when Ethan was stuck in the mold goo he had some kind of psychic connection to the Bakers through the goo, which allowed him to talk to their normal, human sides...? Did anyone else get that impression? Because Pat's idea that it happened way earlier and was a flashback doesn't make much sense to me in the context of the story. Maybe I missed something.

It's the final stretch. I'd say three videos top until the ending if Pat learns to shoot the guns.

Also you're correct and Pat is wrong again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this is just a sign that Ethan is infected, which should be SUPER obvious, but holding it together pretty well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Justice Sloth posted:

They'll probably get back to it after Abbot and Costello I hope

I think the O&S nicknames are becoming one of my favourite Dark Souls memes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Oxyclean posted:

Chewie and Fuckface are formidable foes.

edit: hey this actually works one has electricity powers and attacks foes with his swamp-rear end, and the other one is a short hyperactive dude, and both are infuriating to the average Souls fan.

Dias fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 24, 2017

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Dias posted:

Chewie and Fuckface are formidable foes.

edit: hey this actually works one has electricity powers and attacks foes with his swamp-rear end, and the other one is a short hyperactive dude, and both are infuriating to the average Souls fan.

Fuckface drops his gruff exterior when his friend dies and finally becomes truly huge to avenge his fallen comrade.
Chewie gets electrical powers after he reveals himself as a betrayer and steals them by crushing his only friend.
It really does work.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

You know, I feel like RE7 doesn't want the audience to feel bad for Eveline, but I super do? She's just a kid who's been hosed over by evil scientists and is too immature and damaged to properly deal with the powers she's been given. I'm not saying she shouldn't be the final boss, because she should, but it'd be great if they toned down her evil laughter and have her act like an actual, albeit hosed up, kid with depth.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

nerdman42 posted:

You know, I feel like RE7 doesn't want the audience to feel bad for Eveline, but I super do? She's just a kid who's been hosed over by evil scientists and is too immature and damaged to properly deal with the powers she's been given. I'm not saying she shouldn't be the final boss, because she should, but it'd be great if they toned down her evil laughter and have her act like an actual, albeit hosed up, kid with depth.

To be fair, she probably learned the 'evil laughing as coping' bit from the scientists in the first place.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nerdman42 posted:

Yeah but you wouldn't fear her then. You'd pity her and to be honest I don't want RE to touch moral ambiguity with their villains. Even the scene with the Bakers in the moldscape I thought was pushing it.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm already not afraid of her and feeling bad for her. If they played her up as a kid waaaaay too far gone to be reasonably talked down, then I'd be scared.

But that's just me

Edit:

Genocyber posted:

Nah, the game absolutely does want you to feel sorry for her. But it also tries to have its cake and eat it too, having her still be creepy and antagonistic, which doesn't always mesh well with that.

That's a pretty good analysis actually and its my only real problem with the game. Everything else about the story is pretty awesome

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 24, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

Nah, the game absolutely does want you to feel sorry for her. But it also tries to have its cake and eat it too, having her still be creepy and antagonistic, which doesn't always mesh well with that.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Oxyclean posted:

Refreshing to see it's as true for 2017 as it was for 2011.

My personal favorites are 'Toejam and Earl' and 'Drake and Josh'

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Evie is weird, she's too adorable to be creepy and she's too...bioweapon to be pitiable. I think I built her up in my head as fuckin' Alma (gently caress off stupid ghost child) and was kinda underwhelmed by her reveal. Like, I psyched myself out super hard on that D-Series Arm sequence because gently caress off stupid ghost children.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Oh my god, normally I am somewhat understanding of Pat missing items in RE7 (outside of stuff like the flame rounds RIGHT THERE ON THE SHELF), but that chem fluid in part 16 takes the cake. He FOUND IT! And then passed it THRICE after the cut. Come on! :eng99:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FauxGateau posted:

Even the scene with the Bakers in the moldscape I thought was pushing it.

For whatever reason that stood out as one bit I really liked honestly.

It wasn't so much moral ambiguity on their part, Jack and his family were just nice people (Minus Lucas) that got punished for wanting to help. :smith:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Killed By Death posted:

Oh my god, normally I am somewhat understanding of Pat missing items in RE7 (outside of stuff like the flame rounds RIGHT THERE ON THE SHELF), but that chem fluid in part 16 takes the cake. He FOUND IT! And then passed it THRICE after the cut. Come on! :eng99:

That was the best part. He was so proud of himself when he found it the first time.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I want an LP of the Destrega story mode

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

'FuccBoivin' Confirmed in this last Parasite Eve II episode.
Everyone, Senpai noticed us!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What? That's not new.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Captain Invictus posted:

What? That's not new.

In fact, Liam was the one who came up with it in a stream.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Never forget Paige immediately following up Liam by texting "you're my fuccboivin"

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Rodyle posted:

Never forget Paige immediately following up Liam by texting "you're my fuccboivin"

I'm so glad Pat found Himself, But A Girl And Also Taller to love because they are meant for each other.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

In fact, Liam was the one who came up with it in a stream.

I'm pretty sure it was twitch chat in an early demons souls stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
New Woolie Vs is out.

It's Naruto, obviously.