Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think you guys are misreading it. Sounds like her role is going to be bigger, not smaller. Wouldn't be surprised if they gave her the timeslot to do her own show every night.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/23/fox-sports-shake-up-puts-katie-nolan-front-and-center/

Post and FS1 are owned by Murdoch so this might have more merit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Makes sense. I like Katie Nolan but not enough to watch her at 12:30 in the goddamned morning.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So Keyshawn Johnson got into a pissing match with Dan Le Batard, calling him a racist for saying the below about Magic Johnson

quote:

What you’ve got here though, is a testament to the power of fame. And a testament to the power of a modicum of charm. Because Magic Johnson is charming. But, Magic Johnson was given a late night television show, because he’s famous and charming. Failed in 11 shows. Magic Johnson was given a head coaching job of the Lakers, because he’s famous and charming, failed in 16 games. Magic Johnson, not interesting as a broadcaster, given broadcasting opportunity after broadcasting opportunity, because he’s famous and charming. And now, he gets to run the entire Lakers organization because he’s famous and charming. That’s amazing. That’s amazing. He’s a very kind man, to be in his presence is to be awash in all the things people like about celebrity, he will make you feel special, but he wasn’t good at any of those jobs I just mentioned, and he got all of those jobs, bypassing a whole lot of people who are more qualified, because he’s famous and charming. [/quote[

Sedano said he somewhat agrees with Le Batard on the talk show bit, but disagrees on the coaching and broadcasting one, and then says Magic may not be traditionally qualified, but has other qualifications. He says Magic may not be the most qualified candidate to be the Lakers’ president, which Johnson disputes with “Who’s more qualified?” Sedano says “Gregg Popovich, for one, Pat Riley” and Johnson says “What makes Gregg Popovich more qualified than Magic Johnson?” Sedano says “Well, his resume, for one,” and Johnson says “Just a resume? Oh, okay. For what Jeanie Buss is looking for, to turn the organization around, Gregg Popovich is more qualified?” Sedano says “Yes, he is,” and Johnson says “I don’t think so.” Sedano then says “Well, neither of those guys are available.”

Whole Article below including Keyshawn's rant. Honestly, if Johnson is going for the "giant idiot shock jock" schtick, he's on point. He insinuated that Magic Johnson was as qualified, if not more qualified, to be president of basketball operations than Gregg Popovich. That may just be the stupidest take of the year but I'd have to double check.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/dan-le-batard-magic-johnson-racist-keyshawn-johnson.html

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On the other hand, Phil Jackson.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Josh Lyman posted:

On the other hand, Phil Jackson.

And the endless championships for the Knicks

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's kind of funny because I can see the argument that Sedano's take is somewhat racist, because he falls back on two white dudes, neither of whom are available, as the guys to be the savior of the Lakers. Yet it is LeBatard they are trying to claim is racist. Why not bring up someone like Joe Dumars? Successful businessman, former executive of the year, won a title as GM, available.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LeBatard was pretty much dead on and trying to claim that LeBatard is a racist is maybe one of the all time worst opinions.

There's a slew of bad takes in terms of talent evaluation that make it extremely clear Magic is not adept at that task, so I just can't fathom how anyone would argue otherwise.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 24, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

he also made the same argument about John Lynch last week and has consistently argued over the past decade that front office hires are often misguided, especially when they assume a former great players on court/field greatness will translate to management success.

Now I hope Magic shits the bed so sycophants like Wilbon is forced to defend his dumb poo poo for the next 3 years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So uh this kinda came out of nowhere

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/835223380748021761

When the hell did Turner ever take an interest in soccer?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Live sports are live sports

This could also be meaningful

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/835223913177165825

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
too bad that BAMTech didn't win, that would have ensured a high quality streaming service which soccer really doesn't do

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Alain Post posted:

too bad that BAMTech didn't win, that would have ensured a high quality streaming service which soccer really doesn't do

What is Turner going to do for streaming? Do they even have a solution?

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Akileese posted:

What is Turner going to do for streaming? Do they even have a solution?

They run NBA League Pass which I think works well enough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Akileese posted:

So Keyshawn Johnson got into a pissing match with Dan Le Batard, calling him a racist for saying the below about Magic Johnson

Whole Article below including Keyshawn's rant. Honestly, if Johnson is going for the "giant idiot shock jock" schtick, he's on point. He insinuated that Magic Johnson was as qualified, if not more qualified, to be president of basketball operations than Gregg Popovich. That may just be the stupidest take of the year but I'd have to double check.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/dan-le-batard-magic-johnson-racist-keyshawn-johnson.html

The worst part is that this ISN'T Magic's first job in basketball. We know from his time as a coach and and a loving owner of the team that he's not qualified to have anything to do with players at all.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Saucer Crab posted:

They run NBA League Pass which I think works well enough.

Soccer fans can look forward to "This Game is Unavailable" and random stuttering for no reason.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Katie Nolan is great, I hope she gets a big deal in front of more people. Don't have a cable subscription but bought a pair of underpants using her promo code to support her. Very comfortable, just fyi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Now I see Michael Rapaport, who a month ago got destroyed in a feud with Chapo Trap House, is going after the LeBatard show...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So the OJ documentary got an Oscar. Now ESPN is definitely going to thump that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

soggybagel posted:

Soccer fans can look forward to "This Game is Unavailable" and random stuttering for no reason.

Yeah, I guess they get credit for being one of the early people to do a decent job at streaming sports but a decade has passed without them getting better whereas formerly lovely things like Watch ESPN are good now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've never heard good things about NBA League Pass, unless they finally got it to be actually watchable that's going to be a mess

E: Since it was discussed earlier, Katie Nolan also has one gigantic advantage over Bill Simmons: She's actually entertaining.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 27, 2017

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

iospace posted:

So the OJ documentary got an Oscar. Now ESPN is definitely going to thump that.

It was an absolutely amazing documentary but I'm not sure how I feel about a near 8 hour documentary winning an Oscar.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

It was an absolutely amazing documentary but I'm not sure how I feel about a near 8 hour documentary winning an Oscar.

The Oscars literally haven't mattered for decades. I wouldn't get too bothered about it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

I've never heard good things about NBA League Pass, unless they finally got it to be actually watchable that's going to be a mess

E: Since it was discussed earlier, Katie Nolan also has one gigantic advantage over Bill Simmons: She's actually entertaining.

I've had it for three years now and literally never had an issue with it. I've used it on Apple TV and my iPhone and it works great every time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I've had it for three years now and literally never had an issue with it. I've used it on Apple TV and my iPhone and it works great every time.

That's good then if it's finally up and running. Maybe the stories i'm thinking of are older but i know it was a disaster for a couple years.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Akileese posted:

Why?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

It works well on my phone, freezes or crashes a couple of times per game on my iPad, and is a nightmare on Playstation.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Because it was a TV series that they put into a very long theater session just to get another award. It's not like they matter anyways though so I guess who cares.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

Because it was a TV series that they put into a very long theater session just to get another award. It's not like they matter anyways though so I guess who cares.

"Oscar Bait" was literally the sole purpose for like every movie nominated for best picture. This isn't really new.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

"Oscar Bait" was literally the sole purpose for like every movie nominated for best picture. This isn't really new.

did you actually see any of the movies because you seem weirdly mad and dismissive of them. Is their some nobler purpose other unnominated movies are serving that, like, Moonlight isn't? That movie was based on a super obscure play, cost like $25 to make, and the most famous cast member is best known as the like 10th lead from the last two bond movies. I kinda doubt they were thinking it was gonna rake in the awards when they made it

Anyway the OJ doc is absurdly long but it's so well done that it actually plays a lot better as a movie than you'd think.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 27, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

did you actually see any of the movies because you seem weirdly mad and dismissive of them. Is their some nobler purpose other unnominated movies are serving that, like, Moonlight isn't?

Anyway the OJ doc is absurdly long but it's so well done that it actually plays a lot better as a movie than you'd think.

Oh i'm sure the movies were plenty good (all I saw of the best picture nominees was Hidden Figures), I'm not saying they were bad by any means. At the same time I don't think it's hard to see how a number of them are created largely for the sake of jacking off the academy so future films can be marketed with "Oscar winning/nominated [director/actor/writer]"

I'm not dismissing their quality, but I don't think it's outlandish to call some of them Oscar bait. One was a musical literally singing about the greatness of Hollywood.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DJExile posted:

Oh i'm sure the movies were plenty good (all I saw of the best picture nominees was Hidden Figures), I'm not saying they were bad by any means. At the same time I don't think it's hard to see how a number of them are created largely for the sake of jacking off the academy so future films can be marketed with "Oscar winning/nominated [director/actor/writer]"

I'm not dismissing their quality, but I don't think it's outlandish to call some of them Oscar bait. One was a musical literally singing about the greatness of Hollywood.

Have you considered that the awards are in place to show which movies are the best and the academy makes a non biased decision for the integrity of the award thus making Oscar baiting impossible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The OJ doc is the best deconstruction of a celebrity I've ever seen

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I've seen all but Hidden Figures from this year's lot and the only thing that screamed "jacking off the academy" was La La Land.

e: And Jackie but that wasn't a Best Picture nom

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Turner getting the champions league is really good for them. Who the gently caress watched TBS, TNT during the day?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The OJ doc is the best deconstruction of a celebrity I've ever seen

It really was, and yet at the same time, I didn't think it was possible for me to detest Mark Fuhrman even more, but here we are.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm almost done watching the American Crime Story OJ show and I think they got way more explicit with what Fuhrman actually says than in OJ: Made in America. I don't know why I'm amazed that someone would go on tape saying all of that terrible crap. I also paid no attention to OJ after the lawsuit, so I had no idea about his exploits down in Florida. Still can't imagine watching that whole thing in the theaters though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

It really was, and yet at the same time, I didn't think it was possible for me to detest Mark Fuhrman even more, but here we are.
I love how he keeps refusing to take any responsibility in what happened

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Turner getting the champions league is really good for them. Who the gently caress watched TBS, TNT during the day?

Probably more people than will watch those champions league games tbh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how he keeps refusing to take any responsibility in what happened

As someone who wasn't watching the trial back the (or the miniseries), what did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

As someone who wasn't watching the trial back the (or the miniseries), what did he do?

He was the lead detective and also was a massive racist and the defense exploited it