Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Coolguye posted:

did you know that this one man's advances in the area of plant pathology and genetics enabled india to be a net exporter of grain and banish famine from the subcontinent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

did you know that the primary source of malnutrition in india, one of the most famine-prone countries on the planet for the last 200 years, is now lovely roads rather than insufficient arable land

did you know that borlaug's dwarf grains banished that structural famine from the subcontinent the exact same year the mccarther genius grant winner called it "a pipe dream that india would ever feed itself" and further suggested that it should be left to starve as not to drag down the rest of the world

did you know that we are less than 1/3rd of the way to the solar-power limit of intensive agricultural yields, which is the only widespread agricultural problem we have not solved in a large-scale way yet (soil -> fertilizer from fixed ammonia, water -> drip irrigation systems that have extremely low waste, pests/fungus -> human-safe biological pesticides such as bacillus thuringiensis GMO'd into the food and fiber crops)

did you know that the UN officially forecasts the population of the earth to peak at 8.3 billion people due to the demographic transitions including female emancipation and increased prosperity that are causing fertility rates to plummet in all but 8 of the countries on the planet (even Yemen)

did you know that even if technology stopped innovating RIGHT NOW and we simply implemented the fertilizer/drip irrigation/pest resistant combo on opportunistic arable land we have RIGHT NOW in africa, europe, and central asia we could feed a 2000 calorie diet to every single one of those 8.3 billion people, and also produce enough cotton to clothe them properly, and do it on fewer acres of farmland than we have plowed today, which would, among other things, allow the amazon rainforest to grow back to its 1950 levels

did you know that the above factoid assumes that everyone keeps eating roughly as much meat as the average westerner does today, so in fact the poorest billion on the planet could eat roughly 4x more chicken, pork, and beef than the currently do and the above still holds

my dude, there are lots of reasons why the future might be scary, but food is not one of them. we already have the technology we need in order to feed the entire world from a farming aspect, and we do not need to kill half of the planet to get to our goals. what we need is more intense trade to deploy this technology and transport the goods to the people who need them (which is :eyepop: globalism :eyepop:).

Is there a cabal that might architect some global blackmail and have people succumb to American based needs to influence its power? The whole nationalism vs globalism thing is really just this isn't it~ Brand your country as an exclusive club with all the goods and materials available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zyla posted:

has there been any funny movie since 9/11?

like genuinely funny and holds up on repeat viewings?

i honestly can't think of a single one

there are definitely at least a few

the original Zoolander (though tbf it was made before and released almost immediately after 9/11)

the True Grit remake

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Bad Santa

etc.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Ragequit posted:

I watched Hot Fuzz for probably the 10th time last night and enjoyed it immensely. Seem to discover something new with it every single time.

if you watch the dude in the back you can see his frown crack when he sees the other guy goin in for another glare.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
my cuckabee hasnt had his daily trough of grits and gravy yet it seems

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Huckabee keeps on polishing his stand-up routine.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

LGD posted:

there are definitely at least a few

the original Zoolander (though tbf it was made before and released almost immediately after 9/11)

the True Grit remake

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Bad Santa

etc.

bad santa was so great. the nail scene is the best

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Matoi Ryuko posted:

im rob morrow

Hi rob

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

prefect posted:

I hope you're not just yanking my chain, because that sounds pretty amazing.

read the rational optimist by matt ridley. he lays out 85% of the facts that i just dropped in the last couple posts of mine and did so in 2010 using research from at least 2007. the picture now is if anything more rosy than it is presented in that book due to the fact that ridley's main contention - that we as a species will, in fact, keep chasing good solutions to problems in return for lots of money, fame, and sex - has been substantiated very well. that book will give you enough knowledge and language to go looking for other actual scholarly articles about environmental engineering and environmental science that drills down into the cold hard facts of our ecology - which are legitimately extremely hard to get because arch-conservatives love to deny ecological factors as much as arch-liberals love to exaggerate them.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 24, 2017

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/835237846013337608

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yinlock posted:

"wait, i'm one of the good ones!!"

*ICE agent looks at skin color, looks at Official ICE Whiteness Palette in hand" hm says here you are not

if they deported bobby jindal no one would lift a finger and his kids would be stoked

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

how do you continually gently caress up jokes this badly lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SpaceGoku posted:

cost to consumer isn't the problem, it's finding people to do the work to begin with

americans simply will not pick heads of lettuce for the equivalent of $15/hr, and if we kick out all the undocumented workers we're going to be looking at harvests that rot on the vine, unless we start paying americans 4-5x the amount we pay undocumented workers

and even then there will be a large number of hidden costs because it turns out that "unskilled" farm labor actually does have a lot of hidden skill involved in it, the amount of food that becomes unsellable because it is mishandled or tainted or damaged will be hard to calculate but it will be more than the loss that already occurs

i don't even think at x5 pay you'll get rando hs dropouts to do it. the work is even worse than construction poo poo jobs like road crewing

good thing prisoners are basically slaves

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

boethius posted:

Huckabee keeps on polishing his stand-up routine.

you'd think it would be the other way around because his stand up routine clearly loving sucks

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

conservatives are extremely dumb & bad, yes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

maybe if the media isn't chasing trump they will focus on hard-hitting investigative journalism

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
and gullible, cant forget gullible

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ayy

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zen death robot posted:

This isn't normal is it

depends on what the pronoun refers to, or the surrounding context.

hope this helps.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:jackbud:

about loving time. Now if only the people saying that OBAMA DID IT would shut the gently caress up forever

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
hail hypersatan

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

FAUXTON posted:

you'd think it would be the other way around because his stand up routine clearly loving sucks

Well, he is funniest conservative comedian right now.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i don't even think at x5 pay you'll get rando hs dropouts to do it. the work is even worse than construction poo poo jobs like road crewing

Not basivally, are slaves.

Read the 13th amendment lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
reminder that the most 9/11 movie is dana carvey's master of disguise

specifically the turtle guy scene

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

prisons don't want to make prisoners do the work because they're too chickenshit to trust prisoners with harvest tools

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Lol its like 75 degrees here in NYC. Everyone's walking around with :stonklol: looks on their face

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lastgirl posted:

Is there a cabal that might architect some global blackmail and have people succumb to American based needs to influence its power? The whole nationalism vs globalism thing is really just this isn't it~ Brand your country as an exclusive club with all the goods and materials available.

my dear where were you at the last black-hood board meeting we had your favorite cognac and everything

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Coolguye posted:

read the rational optimist by matt ridley. he lays out 85% of the facts that i just dropped in the last couple posts of mine and did so in 2010 using research from at least 2007. the picture now is if anything more rosy than it is presented in that book due to the fact that ridley's main contention - that we as a species will, in fact, keep chasing good solutions to problems in return for lots of money, fame, and sex - has been substantiated very well. that book will give you enough knowledge and language to go looking for other actual scholarly articles about environmental engineering and environmental science that drills down into the cold hard facts of our ecology - which are legitimately extremely hard to get because arch-conservatives love to deny ecological factors as much as arch-liberals love to exaggerate them.

I get depressed sometimes when I think about aquifers, and this sounds like it could definitely cheer me up. :unsmith:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Lol

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

sincx posted:

Then pay more.

I'm pretty sure for $20/hour there'll be a lot of people interested. If that's the wage it takes to produce food sustainably, it should be factored into the price. And then food subsidies can be adjusted as necessary.

Or, we could just say "gently caress farming, it is dumb and lame." and import our food. Why the gently caress should we subsidize so much ag and force 3rd World labor conditions, when we could just pay the 3rd World to do it?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boethius posted:

this is wrong as hell. have you not listened to lindsey graham?

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...1334_video.html

Listening to the entire thing and holy poo poo Spicy is a lil bitch, even with a "friendly" press gaggle lol.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

they'll wave anything around if it has TRUMP on it

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

wapo book review section is at it again

20 ways to recognize tyranny — and fight it: Review of "On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century" by Timothy Snyder

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

21 and 22 Jump Street are both very funny

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
TRUMP

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Joementum?!?

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

boethius posted:

Trump is the funniest conservative comedian, by far.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

paranoid randroid posted:

i cant believe that i was just accused of being John McCain

by his boyfriend no less

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Speaking of books, remember this guy?

quote:

He gave me a copy of a book he recently self-published called “The Transhumanist Wager,” an unwieldy novel of ideas about a freelance philosopher named Jethro Knights who sails around the world to promote the need for life-extension research and winds up establishing a floating libertarian city-state called Transhumania — a regulation-free utopia of tech billionaires and rationalists — from which he wages an atheist holy war on a theocratic United States.

A couple of days later, at a cafe in San Francisco’s Mission District, he told me of how the novel did not go over well with any of the 656 agents and publishers he sent it to over the previous year. He had spent over a thousand dollars, he said, on postage alone. The book’s cover, which he designed himself, featured a greenish negative image of his own face, in profile, staring into the vacant sockets of a human skull.

“It’s supposed to be like ‘Hamlet,’ ” he said. “You know, with the whole Yorick scene? With me facing the prospect of death and all that? But yeah, I’m not sure it really works.”

“I’ve seen worse book covers,” I said, which for all I knew might have been the truth.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/magazine/600-miles-in-a-coffin-shaped-bus-campaigning-against-death-itself.html

He ran for President. He was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

huckabee is a profoundly dumb man

• Locked thread