Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, let's review why it won't be Nukie.

1. The KS says it will be one of their "BIGGEST NAMES EVER". Nukie is not even that well-known by bad movie aficionados.
2. I'm pretty sure the viewing of Nukie has been added to the Geneva Convention.
3. No one should EVER have to watch Nukie. EVER.

That "Biggest Names Ever" thing really makes me think we're talking Gamera here.

edit: You know what? As a dark horse candidate I think I'll toss in Masters of the Universe because holy loving poo poo.

I've watched Nukie at least 5 times. Its great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If that survey that was sent out a year ago means anything, it COULD be a Doctor Who thing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

If that survey that was sent out a year ago means anything, it COULD be a Doctor Who thing.

Please let it be the 8th Doctor TV Movie. Let them riff on Eric Roberts's Master.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As a side note:

MST3k SEASON 11 OFFICIAL NETFLIX RELEASE DATE: APRIL 14th, 2017!!!!

The reason no one is responding to you is that this is old news now.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

GreenNight posted:

The reason no one is responding to you is that this is old news now.

They just announced the date last night. News sure has a really short shelf life for you, huh?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Their riffs of the two Doctor Who movies they did are still gone, but I've been told that they would be back up "eventually", so maybe?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, this week riff is a Puppet Master movie.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Rirse posted:

Lol, i didn't even know Greg Sestero was in that film until I watched the preview.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rirse posted:

I've always maintained that Greg Sestero is at least just as inept as Tommy Wiseau. Now more people will understand why.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Not just Puppet Master, RETRO Puppet Master!!!!!!!!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know

There are one or two good Puppet Master movies

This is not one of them

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

A few months ago, I watched the first Puppet Master and thought it was loving terrible. How did it end up with 90 sequels?

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 25, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

2DCAT posted:

Lol, i didn't even know Greg Sestero was in that film until I watched the preview.

Yeah, this is the one from his anecdote where they wanted his character to do a British accent even though he's French.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

A few months ago, I watched the first Puppet Master and thought it was loving terrible. How did it end up with 90 sequels?

Hey, anyone in a Rifftrax/MST3K thread is a fan of puppets by default, man :p

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, this is the one from his anecdote where they wanted his character to do a British accent even though he's French.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Witchcraft series laughs at their numbers. And Witchcraft got loving bonkers by the end.

edit: From the preview at least, Greg's French accent sounds pretty much like any other French accent I've heard that isn't from Quebec. Maybe that's why it sounds fine? It's not Quebecois?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 25, 2017

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The Witchcraft series laughs at their numbers. And Witchcraft got loving bonkers by the end.

edit: From the preview at least, Greg's French accent sounds pretty much like any other French accent I've heard that isn't from Quebec. Maybe that's why it sounds fine? It's not Quebecois?

According to Greg's book, he was born and raised in California, but his mother was French-Sicilian.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Paper Kaiju posted:

According to Greg's book, he was born and raised in California, but his mother was French-Sicilian.

You wouldn't know it from the accent he uses, because hot drat it is bad

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Paper Kaiju posted:

Oh I know, all I'm saying is that I think his accent sounds fine. If it doesn't, well, the directer was David DeCoteau, who I'm surprised hasn't shown up on more Rifftrax releases.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOrkvwQbySg

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I wonder of there are any adults living today who actually had good memories of Whizzo the clown.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I wonder of there are any adults living today who actually had good memories of Whizzo the clown.

Not ones they allow on the streets.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Having seen Retro Puppet Master, I hope Greg Sestero gets down on his knees every night and thanks a merciful God that he befriended Tommy Wiseau.

Seriously, Greg, you'd be nothing without that crazy hipdicked grease vampire.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a way to see the history of how long it took for a Kickstarter to get funded? I feel like this one is in trouble, and I personally haven't invested in it, as I don't feel like it is that great of a deal. I'm starting to get burnt out on them.

I'll most likely see the Summer Shorts one, but I'm going to pass on Samurai Cop as I have the original Riff that I still haven't watched. I don't know what the mystery one is, but I'm starting to feel like it won't get funded and revealed unless they do something different soon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

IUG posted:

Is there a way to see the history of how long it took for a Kickstarter to get funded? I feel like this one is in trouble, and I personally haven't invested in it, as I don't feel like it is that great of a deal. I'm starting to get burnt out on them.

Kicktraq is your best bet.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

IUG posted:

I'll most likely see the Summer Shorts one, but I'm going to pass on Samurai Cop as I have the original Riff that I still haven't watched. I don't know what the mystery one is, but I'm starting to feel like it won't get funded and revealed unless they do something different soon.

Yeah, I paid into their last two Kickstarters even though their live shows don't even come to Canada anymore, but this year's hasn't sold me yet.

Though I think it was mostly the stretch goals that sold me last time, so we'll see...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Some folks may have figured out the mystery movie.

quote:

Spoilers, for those of you that care
Doctor Who: The Five Doctors
Here's the (now-deleted) AMC Theatres link for it: https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/rifftrax-live-doctor-who-the-five-doctors

If this is true, I feel better for not funding this year. It's a pretty whatever choice and there's zero chance they'd ever get VOD rights for it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Actually, I'd be down for that.

IUG posted:

In trouble? No. It's 78% of the way there with 24 days to go; short of Mike Nelson being arrested for tax evasion, this is happening. It'll almost certainly fall short of the $621K they raised last year (Kicktraq has it trending towards $723,809, but their math tends to be a little wonky; I think $550-600K's a better bet, though I wouldn't Toxx on it), and they might have to ask themselves some tough questions afterwards, but they'll meet their goal no sweat.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If this is true, I feel better for not funding this year. It's a pretty whatever choice and there's zero chance they'd ever get VOD rights for it.

I don't know, I could see the BBC going for it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My only thought is how well could that even be shown in theaters? It's shot on video and that godawful British television film stock that always looks like washed-out crap.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My only thought is how well could that even be shown in theaters? It's shot on video and that godawful British television film stock that always looks like washed-out crap.

Man they've released worse.

lovely film quality is basically a feature, not a detriment

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn't they say the mystery movie was something released in theaters? I could have sworn I saw that somewhere but now I can't find anything about that one way or the other.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

^^^Actually, I'd be down for that.

In trouble? No. It's 78% of the way there with 24 days to go; short of Mike Nelson being arrested for tax evasion, this is happening. It'll almost certainly fall short of the $621K they raised last year (Kicktraq has it trending towards $723,809, but their math tends to be a little wonky; I think $550-600K's a better bet, though I wouldn't Toxx on it), and they might have to ask themselves some tough questions afterwards, but they'll meet their goal no sweat.

It's simple, they just need to get funny again.

I've been burning through their recent stuff on Amazon and good funny ones like Guy From Harlem are buried among a lot of VODs where the plain film would actually be funnier than many of their jokes. Mind you though, I haven't seen any of the last 10 or so riffs they've done, so if they have gotten funny again then nevermind.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm holding out hope that the Secret Movie will be.... Hard Ticket to Hawaii. We can dream, can't we?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

I'm holding out hope that the Secret Movie will be.... Hard Ticket to Hawaii. We can dream, can't we?

Given that they had to do a sketch to distract from the Starship Troopers shower scene, they may have trouble with a live riff of a film that's like 50% boobs.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I really hope they're not hyping up a Dr. Who thing...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The one (I want to say 5) where the villain is like a low rent Viggo the Carpathain and he sucks people's souls into his cape with an awful special effect is amazing.

Children of the Corn is another one. There's IIRC eleven different Children of the Corn films.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I don't think the slowness of the Kickstarter is because of their funniness, I just think this one wasn't well thought out.

At least all the other ones you just about got your value in riffs, downloads, etc for the money. This one feels like I'm paying $60 to get the two live riffs and some shorts which should add up to maybe $30 or so? I think two years ago the were giving close to $30 in credit, all the live show downloads and a t-shirt for like $70 and it felt worth it. Just not feeling the value of it this year, so it will likely be the first year I do not pledge. I'll still go to the live shows though if I can.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just don't know why they need to kickstart it if a movie they already able to sell the VoD on their, some public domain shorts, and probably a Dr Who tv movie that probably isn't that expensive. I can understand when they needed it to fund TwilightStarship Trooper and Godzilla as they are hollywood movies that they would need a lot of movie to license them out, not stuff like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Also bear in mind that last year was a black swan event where they set up an MST3K reunion, riding on the coattails of the MST3K revival Kickstarter. In 2015 they raised $250K in 32 days.

This year, at the end of the 9th day, they just passed $205K.

Also, unless I'm missing something, the value of the reward tiers is about as comparable to what they were last year. In fact, depending on how you feel about coloring books, there might actually be more value in some of those tiers. Last year, both shows + digital goodies cost $75. This year, it's $60. Last year's T-Shirt tier was $100; this year, it's $80. Part of the reason for the inflation was because last year they were throwing in that Time Chasers coloring book on top of everything, whereas this year it's just a BTS video.

If I can state the obvious, the reason why you guys feel like you're paying more for less this year is because you don't give a poo poo about the goal this year, thus giving the rewards less value. Which is fair, I'm not feeling it this year either; neither are a lot of other people, going by the Kickstarter comments. But as far as I can tell, they're not really doing anything different in terms of how they're managing their Kickstarter.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 3, 2017

• Locked thread