Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

nah it was for perf. google had the largest perforce deployment anywhere and the load was eventually too high for a centralized system. china never got in to the high ip sections afaik.
As far as the public statements went anyway, the high IP wasn't what interested China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

zen death robot posted:

actually we use the strict https implementation so it's using tls the whole way through

as mentioned this doesn't matter at all in this case. the bug dumped data in memory from after it was decrypted for inspection and such.

but yeah the option to do the cloudflare to origin half of the connection unencrypted is v stupid. sadly people want it because they want that special green lock to inspire customer trust or some bullshit and use a service that can't get its poo poo together and provide TLS in tyool 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rjmccall posted:

i mean, that too

but i guess it shouldn't surprise me that the yospos labor solidarity brigade would actually be first in line to report their coworkers for un-corporate activity

he was management. now he is a multi-millionaire and a Vice President at Uber - currently is one of the single greatest threats to labor rights in this country. gently caress him.

report all middle management indiscretions to upper management so they can keep busy eating their own.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lightbulb Out posted:

supermicros security has never been great. their ipmi has been real bad in the past.

Supermicro is a shitshow, BUT they are a cheap shitshow.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Yeah I understand it doesn't matter much with this particular bug, and the only thing we used that they said was effected was the HTTPS Rewrites feature, and even then it's unclear if that was straight out effected or had to be mixed with email obtusification which we don't use or *other unnamed things that used the old parser* which I don't know what uses that. that's why I posted the announcement that everyone should change their passwords out of an abundance of caution. Besides I'm sure most ppl have had the same password for like 5 years now and poo poo anyways.

From everything I have seen, it doesn't particularly matter whether any given site specifically uses those features. If you use CloudFlare in any way as a SSL proxy, you could end up on the same edge router, which means you could have data in a memory leak:

quote:

Because Cloudflare operates a large, shared infrastructure an HTTP request to a Cloudflare web site that was vulnerable to this problem could reveal information about an unrelated other Cloudflare site.

(my emphasis)

If you are served via CloudFlare, your traffic could be involved.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

how about that cloudbleed stuff huh

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i have to support them every day, it's a great time. most of the time they are fine, but i would not be surprised if their security was a poo poo show.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

they oem for a gently caress ton of other people though - like about a billion people trying to get into storage market. i don't know how much firmware development happens by those users of supermicro gear, or if the only change they make is to put a different badge on the front.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lightbulb Out posted:

i have to support them every day, it's a great time. most of the time they are fine, but i would not be surprised if their security was a poo poo show.

The money you save on hardware gets spent in the labor costs for supporting the garbage

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

supermicros not bad if youve got an reseller big enough to deal with their support so you dont have to

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Yeah Lowtax was thinking we weren't effected and I just said it's impossible to rule it out and it's safer to assume everyone was effected and to tell ppl to change passwords. It's the responsible thing to do.

No reasonable person should think worse of us for warning users imo.

Oh, I agree. In fact, it should be other way around: not warning users would be cause for worry.

Related: This is the Google Project Zero bug report: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139

Choice quote by Tavis Ormandy, the guy who found the problem:

quote:

Cloudflare did finally send me a draft. It contains an excellent postmortem, but severely downplays the risk to customers.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

so how many of you see cloudbleed as buttbleed?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you could always ask here. no one's pointed at an sa sample so far, but with the search results being trimmed there's no guarantee either way

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

supermicro is literally that shopkeeper in oblivion that opens negotiations with, "you don't want the best, you want CHEAP! And I've got cheap!"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

xarph posted:

supermicro is literally that shopkeeper in oblivion that opens negotiations with, "you don't want the best, you want CHEAP! And I've got cheap!"
:stonklol:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

spankmeister posted:

The money you save on hardware gets spent in the labor costs for supporting the garbage

it actually gets spent on ruggedizing the hardware for the Man

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pseudorandom name posted:

so how many of you see cloudbleed as buttbleed?

Nowhere near many enough

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PCjr sidecar posted:

supermicros not bad if youve got an reseller big enough to deal with their support so you dont have to
before i left my last job they were starting to roll out supermicros instead of dells. lol

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

technically, git isn't vulnerable to shattered thing because it salts its commits or somesuch and that issue is due to them using git-svn, but it should move off sha1 anyway, today shattered works, in 5 years plain old brute force will
Linus responded with his thoughts here: http://marc.info/?l=git&m=148787047422954

tl;dr:

quote:

Put another way: I doubt the sky is falling for git as a source control management tool. Do we want to migrate to another hash? Yes.

quote:

since cloudflare terminates https on their end to provide caching services etc, your password would have to exist in plaintext on their server
Doing something like digest authentication would avoid this problem, but since most logins over HTTP(S) use HTML password fields rather than HTTP authentication that would require extra work that I'm sure most people just assumed SSL would protect them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wolrah posted:

Doing something like digest authentication would avoid this problem, but since most logins over HTTP(S) use HTML password fields rather than HTTP authentication that would require extra work that I'm sure most people just assumed SSL would protect them.
if zdr really wanted to piss people off he'd just invalidate everyone's session, but getting people to change their passwords should(?) accomplish the same thing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

anthonypants posted:

if zdr really wanted to piss people off he'd just invalidate everyone's session

that happened to me about 2 weeks ago seemingly for no reason

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Linus responded with his thoughts here: http://marc.info/?l=git&m=148787047422954

i think this is probably true, but for a very different reason than linus: the chains of trust just aren't that deep in most vc setups. e.g. swift has a canonical repository hosted on github, only trusted committers can put things in that repository at all (not just in the master branch), the repository will reject attempts to add commits with the same hash as an existing commit, there's no particular reason to clone some other fork that might have backdoored commits, etc. also, you can always checksum the actual source tree; even if you've corrupted a commit by finding a pre-image for its hash, and then somehow simultaneously engineered it so that the source tree at that commit checksums the same, that's not a stable property that will continue to hold after an arbitrary chain of follow-up commits. but changing the hash out of an abundance of caution is still a good idea

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

anthonypants posted:

if zdr really wanted to piss people off he'd just invalidate everyone's session, but getting people to change their passwords should(?) accomplish the same thing

this wouldnt be entirely sufficient because the passwords themselves may have been in memory

not that i think its really worth forcing a pw reset

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rufus Ping posted:

this wouldnt be entirely sufficient because the passwords themselves may have been in memory

not that i think its really worth forcing a pw reset
yeah i think the notification telling people that it might be a good idea to reset their passwords is the best course of action, anything else would make people upset

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

remember the pants-making GBS threads that came when people were forced to pick good passwords

good times

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

flakeloaf posted:

that happened to me about 2 weeks ago seemingly for no reason

The sessions just time out after a really long time, like a year or something?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

remember the pants-making GBS threads that came when people were forced to pick good passwords

good times
"this password is stronger than the one for my bank, which means that something awful, llc is doing something wrong"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

digest auth requires the server to use unsalted md5 for password storage, which is something mtg. ox did

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

but yeah the option to do the cloudflare to origin half of the connection unencrypted is v stupid. sadly people want it because they want that special green lock to inspire customer trust or some bullshit and use a service that can't get its poo poo together and provide TLS in tyool 2017

https to the final user is absolutely valuable, not against a nation-state or crime syndicate, but against rear end in a top hat roommates, rear end in a top hat hackers at Starbucks, other people on the unpassworded in-flight wifi, etc.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pr0zac posted:

lastpass doesn't use cloudflare and even if it did it wouldn't have affected security of their product either

1password is what you're referring to but they weren't sending passwords through cloudflare, they just used it for their website

are there seriously people in this thread that think a prominent password manager company would have an implementation that would involve sending plaintext passwords over http to cloudflare?

How to get a password from Okta:
1. Ask its API (providing credentials)
2. Look at password on the wire

It's HTTPS, but it still ain't good.

Their browser plugin uses this, though it may be limited to sites that don't support SAML and/or don't have it enabled.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 25, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

https to the final user is absolutely valuable, not against a nation-state or crime syndicate, but against rear end in a top hat roommates, rear end in a top hat hackers at Starbucks, other people on the unpassworded in-flight wifi, etc.

even nation-states and crime syndicates usually can't attack some foreign trunk isp connecting cloudflare to some amazon datacenter. securing traffic everywhere it crosses the internet is obviously best, because some can and you can't count on it anyway, but still — getting the traffic out of the lovely local network is 100% the most important thing

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

rjmccall posted:

even nation-states and crime syndicates usually can't attack some foreign trunk isp connecting cloudflare to some amazon datacenter. securing traffic everywhere it crosses the internet is obviously best, because some can and you can't count on it anyway, but still — getting the traffic out of the lovely local network is 100% the most important thing

i agree with your conclusion but think getting between cloudflare and aws is probably easier than you suggest

as i understand it, cloudflare and amazon do not have a private peering relationship and likely do so at IXPs where they both have presences

i don't think there's much standing in the way of a nation state port mirroring that data should they wish to

the ixp may even help gag its members from blowing the whistle on it

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/17/linx_snoopers_charger_gagging_order/

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, but is that something an arbitrary nation-state can realistically do, or are we strictly defining "nation-state" as the US/China/Russia and/or some random host nation? because, sure, egypt as a national actor can go ahead and subvert all the isps in their country, but they're not mirroring all the traffic through some router in austria

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
not all the time, anyway

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SHA-1 collision has already wrecked WebKit's SVN. By using the PoC PDFs.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/02/watershed-sha1-collision-just-broke-the-webkit-repository-others-may-follow/

quote:

According to the above-linked bug report, the WebKit repository became corrupted late Thursday night when someone wanted to test how the system would handle the PDFs. Almost immediately, the system experienced failures. The errors persisted into Friday and eventually prompted one user to ask, "Is it fixable, or are we just totally hosed? Are we going to need to delete all the SVN history since this commit from the server in order to avoid the hash collision?" Responses indicated that the repository remained at least partially corrupted even after the PDFs were deleted. This message on a WebKit e-mail list showed mirroring systems remained unable to be updated.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thanks shaggar

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Doesn't git also use SHA1? :smith:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

we had this conversation on pages 67 & 68 right before buttbleed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Doesn't git also use SHA1? :smith:

wolrah posted:

tl;dr:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I was thinking of the possibility of repo corruption, not data transfer security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

did someone say docker??!?!

-* runs completely out-of-breath to the thread *-

-* collapses from the exertion *-

-* dies, and leaves this for loot: *-

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread