Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

Zak Brown is the phantom menace.

Who's jar jar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

poty posted:

Disrespectful remarks from Zak "The Clown" Brown. Was this really the best guy the Bahrainis could find to backstab Our Ron?

That quote freaks me out because I literally had a dream that McLaren announced a surprise Disney sponsorship and had giant Darth Vader decals on the sidepods.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Which the EU would sue them for because it's literally just the Marlboro logo. Also, it's a terrible livery.

Nobody is saying you have to directly copy it. Change the chevron to a circle at the back in tribute to Honda or something. It's literally that easy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Nobody is saying you have to directly copy it. Change the chevron to a circle at the back in tribute to Honda or something. It's literally that easy.

I'm not sure what you're not getting about this, but there's literally no possible way they can use a livery that in any way evokes a loving tobacco brand without getting sued.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

That quote freaks me out because I literally had a dream that McLaren announced a surprise Disney sponsorship and had giant Darth Vader decals on the sidepods.

I would absolutely love a full on sponsored Star Wars car and not just a one off sponsorship deal that Lucas did.

I mean literally 'Imperial McLaren-Honda F1 Team'.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I'm not sure what you're not getting about this, but there's literally no possible way they can use a livery that in any way evokes a loving tobacco brand without getting sued.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How loving difficult is it to do that but less busy? I mean honestly.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

So by "the Marlboro livery" you meant "not the Marlboro livery?"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

well, there are ways

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

So by "the Marlboro livery" you meant "not the Marlboro livery?"

I mean do a red and white car. I don't get what is so difficult about this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

well, there are ways

That is indeed clever. Remember the barcode, though? They were forced to get rid of that.

1500quidporsche posted:

I mean do a red and white car. I don't get what is so difficult about this.

I haven't heard one single person clamoring for a generic red-and-white livery.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That said, just saying gently caress it and putting the rising sun on the side of the car would be a nice thing to do for the car company that is funding like half of this stupid team.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wicka posted:

That is indeed clever. Remember the barcode, though? They were forced to get rid of that.

I really never did understand that. It didnt look like "Marlboro" to me in any way but "This is where it would say Marlboro if we were allowed".

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I really never did understand that. It didnt look like "Marlboro" to me in any way but "This is where it would say Marlboro if we were allowed".

When the car was in motion it'd blur and look just like the Marlboro logo. loving genius.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think the idea was that when the car was at speed the eye would see it as the Marlboro chevron as the car passed by. Whether that worked idk.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

I think the idea was that when the car was at speed the eye would see it as the Marlboro chevron as the car passed by. Whether that worked idk.

It probably worked pretty well on crappy PAL/NTSC TV's of the day, which was what mattered.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently the SECAM TVs were even worse, judging by some of my old French broadcast GP rips.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I've just gotten progressively more annoyed about this dumb livery all day.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
So, did that fin on most of the new cars come about because of some new rules? I'm really asking.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mrfart posted:

So, did that fin on most of the new cars come about because of some new rules? I'm really asking.

It's because the rear wings are lower and are subject to more of the turbulent airflow coming off the front wing. The fin is supposed to deflect that.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I can't help but think of McLaren as Rick Vaughn in Major League 2. New look, same dead arm.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Alain Post posted:

Bring Back Ron

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Can't believe I thought 2015 was as bad as it'd get for a McLaren fan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/F1/status/835236726918434817

It's red

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

When the car was in motion it'd blur and look just like the Marlboro logo. loving genius.

Have you any evidence of this? I thought it was just subliminal advertising, as you knew what should be there

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

I have been hoping that honda sucks so bad this year they quit, and we can see the ultimate unholy alliance

Mclaren-Ferrari :getin:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Can't believe I thought 2015 was as bad as it'd get for a McLaren fan.

At least the team kit and livery in 2015 was Cool And Good.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://twitter.com/tedkravitz/status/835250151388246016

Ron????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One thing I really note is how poorly that livery integrates the sharkfin compared to the Ferrari livery.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Tooned did, they had ones on Emmo and The Shunt

They probably rushed that one out the door on the one day Ron was out of the country

Another Honda powered livery I love :allears:

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The problem with the McLaren livery is that no-one will listen to the GXF department and the sign off will be with someone that has no experience in design, I work in design and it is soooooo loving frustrating when this happens

EDIT: I just wish we could see the initial design concepts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 2005-2006 Lucky Strike Honda may be my favorite livery of all time.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
A beautiful man deserves a beautiful car. This is not a beautiful car :(

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

One thing I really note is how poorly that livery integrates the sharkfin compared to the Ferrari livery.

Mr. Autism was right, the car is clearly designed by committee. The reason the sharkfin doesn't integrate well is because that swoosh has to mimic the McLaren logo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Halo14 posted:

A beautiful man deserves a beautiful car. This is not a beautiful car :(

It's ok he'll find a way to turn it into a pile of carbon fibre parts, wherein it will look better.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The most amazing thing about this fan edit is that the previously random white stripe under the sidepod is now black and blends in perfectly with the floor.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I guess if you're dead you'd wanna have a bit of fun.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

djssniper posted:

The problem with the McLaren livery is that no-one will listen to the GXF department and the sign off will be with someone that has no experience in design, I work in design and it is soooooo loving frustrating when this happens

EDIT: I just wish we could see the initial design concepts

There's a great book about when Subaru switched ad agencies in the 90s that has completely convinced me that any sort of group input into a creative project is going to turn it into a burning shitpile real fast. Nothing group designed ever has as strong of an impact as a single person's vision.

As an aside: Before today the biggest mystery of automotive history for me was what the Subaru SVX's design process was like. Now its "What was the honda people's reaction when they saw that car."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So now with the RBR/toro rosso being blue/black with a big yellow bull, there's no chance of any interesting liveries this year. just bland boring dollar store race car poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Powershift posted:

So now with the RBR/toro rosso being blue/black with a big yellow bull, there's no chance of any interesting liveries this year. just bland boring dollar store race car poo poo.

Ferrari has good and cool livery.

• Locked thread